Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I haven't gotten into making my own stuff with kontakt so I suspect I might hate it less then, it's just that I'll get weird poo poo like a note ringing out forever and I'll spend 10 minutes trying to figure out what broke this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

cat doter posted:

Am I the only one that loving hates using kontakt? I use it a lot since there's a ton of cool stuff made for it but I'd rather just add a VSTi to a track and have it go rather than dealing with their dumb wrapper. It has a lot of weird issues that I have to work around.

I do. So much so that when I made Platter I did it in Reaktor even though it's just a sample player.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cat doter posted:

Am I the only one that loving hates using kontakt? I use it a lot since there's a ton of cool stuff made for it but I'd rather just add a VSTi to a track and have it go rather than dealing with their dumb wrapper. It has a lot of weird issues that I have to work around.

Yeah it's a pain in the rear end but I rely pretty heavily on several kontakt libraries these days so I really haven't found anything to replace that whole system

at least it's better than Best Services Engine :barf:

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 22, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish I had chosen the Kontakt version of Kirk Hunter's orchestral collection years ago. EXS24 does the trick, but drat, can it be clunky sometimes.

Maybe I have to just become one with the EXS...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I hate bits of Kontakt, particularly the effects section. poo poo's way more clumsy than it needs to be. I use Kontakt on pretty much every project I do, though, so clearly that's not a deal breaker for me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone here use Omnisphere? From what I'm seeing, it feels like it'd be that one 'synth that really does it all'. Thoughts?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone here use Omnisphere? From what I'm seeing, it feels like it'd be that one 'synth that really does it all'. Thoughts?

It's loving awesome. That's my take on it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

I put some gift cards towards it a couple months ago. It's definitely a very capable synth, but so far I haven't found a place for it in my work.

If I need a basic sample-based instrument I make my own in Kontakt/MachFive/Falcon.

If I need a basic synth patch I make my own in Dune/Element/Massive or more recently, Hive.

If I need layered/evolving "professional" patches I use Nexus, HALion Sonic, or a good Kontakt library like AEON Melodic.

Omnisphere can do literally all of the above things, but I haven't felt compelled to learn how to program it yet (I wouldn't exactly describe it as intuitive), and every time I've gone to the factory library for ROMpler sounds, I always ended up finding something I liked better in my Nexus libraries or HALion Sonic. I hear the Plugin Guru expansions are really popular, but I'm not ready to drop another couple hundy to try to get more out of this plugin.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
is EZdrummer 2 worth a go?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I admit it's great, from what I've used of it, but be careful with using it for game sound design. The EULA is weirdly restrictive about only using Omnisphere for "musical works".

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

I tried it ages ago and really liked it - the sounds are diverse enough that you can usually find what you want. It has this nice, huge sound to most of its synths.

That being said I didn't find it as fun to use as FM7 (at the time) but that is completely subjective. I was coming off of using Albino 3 so take that for what it's worth.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I admit it's great, from what I've used of it, but be careful with using it for game sound design. The EULA is weirdly restrictive about only using Omnisphere for "musical works".

Yeah, I learned about this today. What the gently caress is that all about?! And really... if you designed something from scratch, who's going to know?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Eric Persing is very protective of his reputation as a jerk.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

It's not "weirdly restrictive" at all. Most large sample library based products have very similar restrictions and for some reason spectrasonics get an atypical amount of poo poo for it .Maybe because they are cool enough to clearly state the licensing terms on their website in a nice big font so people actually read it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah, I learned about this today. What the gently caress is that all about?! And really... if you designed something from scratch, who's going to know?

The point of these kind of restrictions (and they are indeed quite common) is effectively a way of stopping you from buying a sample library and then using it in such a way that anyone else could use it as a sample library for free.

For example if you take all of the samples in a library and use them whole, unedited as sound design elements in an OS or video game or something like that, any user could easily record all of the individual design elements and thus come away with a copy of the sample library for free.

(It's also to stop people from taking the sample library and reselling it as their own sample library.)

edit: pretty sure Omnisphere's EULA as far as this is concerned refers only to the sounds included in the library, not to any possible sound you can make with the synth. You can certainly use it for game sound design if you are making your own sounds with it.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 25, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Dicky B posted:

It's not "weirdly restrictive" at all. Most large sample library based products have very similar restrictions and for some reason spectrasonics get an atypical amount of poo poo for it .Maybe because they are cool enough to clearly state the licensing terms on their website in a nice big font so people actually read it.

It's weirdly restrictive in the sense that Eric Persing frequently and personally pushes game sound designers to use Omnisphere, and when we tell him we won't because of the EULA, he responds by saying they would never enforce that. Ooookay, we'll knowingly violate your EULA because you totally said it's fine, guys!

I agree that it's really common for sample based synths to have "musical work" as the qualifier, I think what puts a lot of people off is that Spectrasonics has been aggressive about making that point.

Earwicker posted:

The point of these kind of restrictions (and they are indeed quite common) is effectively a way of stopping you from buying a sample library and then using it in such a way that anyone else could use it as a sample library for free.

For example if you take all of the samples in a library and use them whole, unedited as sound design elements in an OS or video game or something like that, any user could easily record all of the individual design elements and thus come away with a copy of the sample library for free.

(It's also to stop people from taking the sample library and reselling it as their own sample library.)

edit: pretty sure Omnisphere's EULA as far as this is concerned refers only to the sounds included in the library, not to any possible sound you can make with the synth. You can certainly use it for game sound design if you are making your own sounds with it.

Given that I know one person who has gotten in a weird pseudo legal battle with Spectrasonics over whether sound design for games constitutes a musical work as defined by the EULA, I don't think it's worth toeing whatever line Spectrasonics wants to draw in the sand over "acceptable use".

Regardless, yes, it's probably true that the majority of sound designers will never run into issues. I personally don't think it's worth the cost of the program to second-guess myself whenever I consider using it. I'd rather stick with synths I know will always be free from legal implications.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 25, 2015

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

Soundtoys has a Black Friday sale on.

The full Soundtoys 5 is $299, down from $499, and all the individual VSTs are half price or lower...

I've got the trial downloaded but I haven't tried it yet though Decapitator is supposed to be pretty great. Thought someone might be tempted to give these a go at these prices.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

AAS also has 50% off everything
https://www.applied-acoustics.com/modeling-collection/#buy

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I don't really have any dedicated effects \ mixing VSTs at all and usually just use the ableton ones (but I have a fuckload of synths and samples). I'm thinking of buying Soundtoys 5 and Waves Gold which is only $199. Will this have me basically covered for fx, or are there better ways to blow $500 this Black Friday?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Waves are offering a free copy of TrueVerb for Black Friday (but also today).

http://www.waves.com/lpn/black-friday-2015/free-plugin

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

I don't really have any dedicated effects \ mixing VSTs at all and usually just use the ableton ones (but I have a fuckload of synths and samples). I'm thinking of buying Soundtoys 5 and Waves Gold which is only $199. Will this have me basically covered for fx, or are there better ways to blow $500 this Black Friday?

Do you already have Komplete or Komplete Ultimate? Might look into them if not, it's crazy value for the money.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

RobattoJesus posted:

Waves Gold which is only $199.
I just gave my email address for the free TrueVerb and it sent me to a page with coupon codes for, among others, Waves Gold at $169.

E: If I install this free TrueVerb, will it require the pc to be on line (regularly?) for activation?

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 26, 2015

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Trig Discipline posted:

Do you already have Komplete or Komplete Ultimate? Might look into them if not, it's crazy value for the money.

Yeah I have komplete ultimate 10 and I love it to bits, but it seems a bit light on fx so I was hoping to use Black Friday to fill in the gaps.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flipperwaldt posted:

I just gave my email address for the free TrueVerb and it sent me to a page with coupon codes for, among others, Waves Gold at $169.

E: If I install this free TrueVerb, will it require the pc to be on line (regularly?) for activation?

Probably not.

I use (and loving love) Kramer Master Tape and Kramer HLS and it's been a one time only activation thing, with transferring the license to a new computer only requiring an email and 24 hours since I forgot to put it on a USB stick before wiping my old system.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

Yeah I have komplete ultimate 10 and I love it to bits, but it seems a bit light on fx so I was hoping to use Black Friday to fill in the gaps.

Rightyo

Speaking of VSTs, some band I've never heard of developed an effect for their new album which is now out as a VST/AU and it's pretty fun.

Description here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/polyve...c-and-win-31718

Demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDH1m-ck6cA

It's $39 now while it's in beta, will be $99 starting Jan. 1. Supposedly buying in now comes with free upgrades for life. I grabbed it out of curiosity, and it's actually pretty fun to dick around with. My only complaint is the stupid loving name.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Probably not.

I use (and loving love) Kramer Master Tape and Kramer HLS and it's been a one time only activation thing, with transferring the license to a new computer only requiring an email and 24 hours since I forgot to put it on a USB stick before wiping my old system.
Thanks.

I was just lamenting how the (free) reverbs I have weren't all that spectacular, so this is super.

I remember TrueVerb being pretty good from the time there wasn't a piece of software on my computer that wasn't stolen or hacked. But I just got sick of all the malware. So I'll be glad to reacquaint now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

I remember TrueVerb being pretty good from the time there wasn't a piece of software on my computer that wasn't stolen or hacked. But I just got sick of all the malware. So I'll be glad to reacquaint now.

I slowly went from everything on my system being pirated to nothing being pirated as I started making more money. When I started in computer audio fuckery, I worked at Wal Mart and couldn't even afford the $50 for Audiomulch. Now I probably drop over a grand a year on audio software, and I probably wouldn't even have the skills or interest if it hadn't been for pirated audio software. I'm not seeking to make any grand statements about piracy, but at least in my case the industry has gotten many thousands of dollars that they probably never would have had if it weren't for Radium, Oxygen, and the like.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Side note: Holy poo poo Audiomulch still exists.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Trig Discipline posted:

Side note: Holy poo poo Audiomulch still exists.
Side side note: AudioMulch is still the poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No joke, looking at one of the demo videos gave me a hankering to go mulching again. Been a while.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Trig Discipline posted:

No joke, looking at one of the demo videos gave me a hankering to go mulching again. Been a while.
Hey hey, hey hey. Mulch sound erry day.

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008
For those living under a rock (such as myself), NI is having a softsynth sale.

For those in the know, should I go full ham and buy Massive ($100), or can I skate by on Razor ($50)? Really, I'm looking for something a little different that ableton's Operator when it comes to additive synthesis.

breaks
May 12, 2001

They're two different things. Massive is a great and fairly straightforward wavetable synth. It was a real step up in quality from the competition at the time it was released, but there are more options nowadays. It still has some features that set it apart, like the feedback routing and some unique filters. Razor is a true additive synth, everything except the rightmost section is just operations on partials. Because of that it has a number of quite unusual "oscillators" and "filters" as well as some simulations of more normal ones.

If you mostly use presets I think there are some preset demos for both on Youtube.

I like using Razor more these days but they are both versatile synths worth the money.

I should also mention that Razor runs in Reaktor. You can use Reaktor Player if you don't own Reaktor, but I can't say whether there are any quirks with that since I do own Reaktor myself.

breaks fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 27, 2015

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
free trueverb!

Also, really really loving the Kontrol integration for the arturia plugins. NI is running 50% on all Maschine expansions. Will be grabbing a few.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just FYI, if you're running anything older than, I think, OSX 10.10, you're poo poo out of luck for TrueVerb. Waves Central (because OF COURSE THERE'S SOMETHING LIKE THIS) doesn't work on older OS's. :smith:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on Decapitator and maybe EchoBoy while the sale is on. Is it worth the extra money to buy the while Soundtoys bundle? I've heard great things about Decapitator and EchoBoy, but almost nothing about their other effects.

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

Splinter posted:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on Decapitator and maybe EchoBoy while the sale is on. Is it worth the extra money to buy the while Soundtoys bundle? I've heard great things about Decapitator and EchoBoy, but almost nothing about their other effects.

You can download the entire suite of the Soundtoys plugins as a demo for 30 days so give em a go :)

EDIT: I downloaded it the other night (~800mb) and I'm going to install it and give it a play this weekend before the sale ends.

EDIT 2: I bought a new guitar today in the Black Friday sales so I'm really hoping all the Soundtoys are poo poo...

FlowerOfInfinity fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 27, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Splinter posted:

I use at minimum 5 or 6 of their effects daily for sound design work. Can't speak to their general usefulness for music production but they are, generally speaking, some of the best sounding and most straightforward plugins out there.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Splinter posted:

I don't have the bundle but I do have and use Decapacitator, PrimalTap, Microshift, and AlterBoy. All really solid, usable stuff. At the moment, they're the only Soundtoys plugs I think I have immediate uses for, so I'm passing on the bundle... the upgrade price they're offering me is $160, which is beyond my "impulse buy" limit for anything I don't plan to use right away.

EDIT: I will say, though, that Waves is selling H-Delay now for $49 US I think? I use that plugin on every drat thing I do; love it. Get it if ya don't got it. I will note that I haven't updated to their new licensing software yet. Afraid to activate my free TrueVerb because of it; you can't get the free plugin without upgrading your License Center to their new thing.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The Waves license center installer correctly asked for admin privileges on my pc, then gave me a shitload of error messages about poo poo it failed to write to disk and registry. And then apparently it still got installed well enough to install and activate TrueVerb.

Get your poo poo together assholes, jesus, :lol:. Not logging in as administrator by default isn't some nutjob edge case. Or it shouldn't be, at the very least, drat.

TrueVerb sounds great, worth the minor hassle.