Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ehud posted:

how is a lineman getting this many concussions

It's those celebratory head butts. The game itself is perfectly safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sean10mm posted:

It's those celebratory head butts. The game itself is perfectly safe!

What the gently caress would a Chargers player be celebrating?

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
joe flacco dies suddenely after an infection from his acl surgery or whatever. browns trade JFF to ravens for a 4th. there he is, clad in black and purple hositing the lombardi trophy in houston, the lich visage of art modell hovering behind him. he stares into the hard camera, penetrating my soul. "i guess you can say one man's heaven is another's......manziel" are the last words i hear

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ehud posted:

Lineman is actually the worst position for concussions and tbi. They have head contact basically every play.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

How did the Browns lose to a bye week

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
JFF should never even been drafted out of college.

Out of the league in a year or two.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

fartknocker posted:

What the gently caress would a Chargers player be celebrating?

Going on IR for the rest of the season?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Volkerball posted:

Lineman is actually the worst position for concussions and tbi. They have head contact basically every play.

I thought linemen was the worst for sub concussive head blows, not concussions

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mr. McGibblets posted:

Jimmy Dipshit Clausen has a loving job and Tebow doesn't?

Tebow gets coaches fired, Clausen is an excuse why you shouldn't be fired because you had nothing to work with.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

A Man and his dog posted:

Reminds me of another undersized QB who excelled in college because he was good at making plays with his feet.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ehud posted:

I thought this was pretty obvious, offensive and defensive linemen basically bang their heads together each play. It's why so many linemen and linebackers end up as the crazy CTE guys.

There's not much they can do about that, either, unless they really change the way you're allowed to block etc

quote:

The line between the two isn't exactly cut and dry, and once you get one or two concussions through hard hits, it's really easy to get more.

Also maybe his "concussion" is just neurological damage from repeated subconcussive blows, and the reason he keeps getting them is that he's done enough damage that it's just not going away at this point.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 25, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ehud posted:

They are, but a lot of those sub concussive hits are concussions. The thing is that they aren't the big open field hits that put you on your rear end for 5 minutes and make it obvious to everyone you probably have a concussion. Lineman hit each other so hard they'll go cross eyed sometimes, but that's part of it and they keep playing. And no one is the wiser. It's essentially playing through a concussion like every game. Flickers brain is probably just getting very sensitive to getting knocked around, and he's having some bad symptoms, if this is a frequent thing for him.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
holy poo poo Steadman Bailey get better. That's crazy.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I was under the impression that a concussion is a concussion. There's no degrees of severity. So how does a "sub concussive blow" play into that?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Those are what they say are giving people CTE. It's a blow to the head that causes a little damage but not a concussion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Especially since the attitude to sub-concussive hits is still basically "walk it off".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nerve posted:

I was under the impression that a concussion is a concussion. There's no degrees of severity. So how does a "sub concussive blow" play into that?

Repetitive sub concussive hits is the easiest way to get TBI. Once TBI starts kicking in, it's extremely dangerous to so much as walk into a door on accident, much less play NFL football.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Apparently the team has talked to Bailey directly and he's stable in the hospital

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

e: ^^ That is good to hear.

Whole lot of people high-fiving one another over Bailey getting shot and "thugs" getting theirs. Can't wait for Wilbon, Cowherd, and the like to swoop in and tell those kids that the world's a better place because someone they loved got either crippled or murdered for no discernible reason.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So the England games have been officially announced.

Colts vs Jags, Wembley, October 23rd.

Either the Giants, Eagles, Washington or Cowboys vs Rams, Twickenham, October 23rd.

Washington vs Bengals, Wembley, October 30th.

So two games happening on the same day in the same city.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Getting hyped for Dalton Time.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anals of History posted:

e: ^^ That is good to hear.

Whole lot of people high-fiving one another over Bailey getting shot and "thugs" getting theirs. Can't wait for Wilbon, Cowherd, and the like to swoop in and tell those kids that the world's a better place because someone they loved got either crippled or murdered for no discernible reason.

favorite thing I've read: "I'm interested to see what time of night this happened."

Hmm yes because that is the critical detail to fully understanding the, uh, racial component of this.

edit* next year's New England Patriot running back is....

quote:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Marshawn Lynch is undergoing sports-hernia surgery Wednesday morning.

Lynch is expected to miss "about a month," as FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday. That's on the optimistic side. According to Dr. David Chao, former Chargers team physician, six weeks is "average" return. Arian Foster, who's of similar age to Lynch, missed eight weeks after sports-hernia surgery this summer. Lynch can probably be cut from re-draft teams now. Thomas Rawls sits atop the depth chart for the foreseeable future. Lynch might be back for the playoffs.

I imagine that's it for him in Seattle.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 25, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

never heard of anyone getting shot in the head while studying their playbook

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A Man and his dog posted:

JFF should never even been drafted out of college.

He should've been drafted in like the 5th round.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

quote:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m8 minutes ago

2016 UK International Series: Jaguars-Colts Oct 4; Rams-NFC East opponent that finishes in same slot; Oct. 23; Bengals-Redskins October 30.
16 retweets 4 likes

So basically Washington could play back to back games in London if they finish in the same slot as the Rams.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

So basically Washington could play back to back games in London if they finish in the same slot as the Rams.

This is how they fix the name controversy. They ship them off on us.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

Except for Sean Taylor.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mind_Taker posted:

That would probably be a big competitive advantage for the 2nd game.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

Chris Cooley got head while studying his playbook.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lynch is out for the regular season at least with a sports hernia

Also Peter King said something...accurate? about the Manziel situation

quote:

Let me say first I understand that Manziel is quite a knucklehead, who tells authority figures what they want to hear about being serious in his responsibility as a quarterback in the NFL. Then he goes out and does what he darn well pleases. The Browns, quite possibly, already have decided there is no chance Manziel is the quarterback of the Browns’ future.

If they have decided this, Cleveland should immediately cut Manziel.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Why should they cut a potential trade asset? Peter King is dumb.

FizFashizzle posted:

edit* next year's New England Patriot running back is....

I imagine that's it for him in Seattle.

It's interesting that David Chao is cited all the time by the media covering the NFL considering he's a blacklisted quack.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 25, 2015

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

favorite thing I've read: "I'm interested to see what time of night this happened."

Hmm yes because that is the critical detail to fully understanding the, uh, racial component of this.

Mine is "...because dudes have never done drug deals with their kids in the car. :rolleyes:"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GaussianCopula posted:

That would probably be a big competitive advantage for the 2nd game.

Except playing Washington is already the biggest advantage for their opponents.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

N: Cam is NFC Offensive Player of the Week.

V: Cool and Good

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

FizFashizzle posted:

N: Cam is NFC Offensive Player of the Week.

V: Cool and Good

Do people really care for these weekly awards?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So the England games have been officially announced.

Colts vs Jags, Wembley, October 23rd.

Either the Giants, Eagles, Washington or Cowboys vs Rams, Twickenham, October 23rd.

Washington vs Bengals, Wembley, October 30th.

So two games happening on the same day in the same city.
They're really testing the NFL's draw in London, huh

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Do people really care for these weekly awards?

Depends on whether or not a player on my team wins one.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've seen other places say Colts/Jags is the 2nd, not the 23rd

Still, London games are here to stay

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I've seen other places say Colts/Jags is the 2nd, not the 23rd

Still, London games are here to stay

Must have been a misprint on the announcement I saw, cuz it seems you're right.

Cuz both Wembley and Twickenham are huge, I wouldn't expect both of them to sell out if they were going on at the same amount of time.

Twickenham is probably a better stadium for football anyway, because it's usually a rugby stadium, Wembley is multi-purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

as long as those fantasy analysts get to call every game I'm fine with it.

If you missed those three dudes just making GBS threads all over the Bills and Jags one game, I don't know what to tell you.

• Locked thread