Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Can someone who uses Groove help me clarify something? It mentions you can "stream and download mp3s", does the download portion mean only if you actually buy mp3's or can you download drm mp3s that expire if you stop your subscription?

The 950 with a 200gb sd card sounds a lot better to me if I can actually download mp3s like with the zune subscription and avoid streaming music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Can someone who uses Groove help me clarify something? It mentions you can "stream and download mp3s", does the download portion mean only if you actually buy mp3's or can you download drm mp3s that expire if you stop your subscription?

The 950 with a 200gb sd card sounds a lot better to me if I can actually download mp3s like with the zune subscription and avoid streaming music.

If you have an active subscription you can download on up to five devices without buying the songs. If you let your sub lapse you will get a message about how you need to have Groove Pass or whatever they call it this time. It checks every time you open the app, but yeah, you can fill that 200GB SD card to for$10 a month without streaming.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I got an email earlier today telling me I could pick up my Lumia 950XL at the Microsoft Store... problem is, I'm not in town and I won't be until next week, so I can't get it. It's on hold until this Friday, and if I don't pick it up by then, I can still buy it but they won't hold mine anymore.

Then again, I'm debating even picking it up at all (considering the chance of me putting my sim into it and using it as a phone is stuck between slim and none) and getting my preorder money back, so... :v:

EDIT: Also fun fact, the guy who sent the email put all the recipients into the send field. So unless they sent multiple emails, 10 people preordered at that store.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

wookieepelt posted:

If you have an active subscription you can download on up to five devices without buying the songs. If you let your sub lapse you will get a message about how you need to have Groove Pass or whatever they call it this time. It checks every time you open the app, but yeah, you can fill that 200GB SD card to for$10 a month without streaming.

:woop:

This is the best news, thanks! Still think I'm going to wait until I can get a 950 for $50 or less with contract since 200gb SD cards are pricey. I was running out of room on my 80gb Zune, so while it's sad to see that go at least this will solve my space problems.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

I got an email earlier today telling me I could pick up my Lumia 950XL at the Microsoft Store... problem is, I'm not in town and I won't be until next week, so I can't get it. It's on hold until this Friday, and if I don't pick it up by then, I can still buy it but they won't hold mine anymore.

Then again, I'm debating even picking it up at all (considering the chance of me putting my sim into it and using it as a phone is stuck between slim and none) and getting my preorder money back, so... :v:

EDIT: Also fun fact, the guy who sent the email put all the recipients into the send field. So unless they sent multiple emails, 10 people preordered at that store.

No one told me I could preorder at the store (actually the opposite) but I stopped by tonight and they had the XL version and tried to sell it to me but said the SKU wasn't active, even though it was supposed to be. But they're holding it for me so I should be able to get it tomorrow morning once the SKU activation propagates through their entire system.

So I'm kinda pumped about that. I'll let you all how it goes.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Ev posted:

No one told me I could preorder at the store (actually the opposite) but I stopped by tonight and they had the XL version and tried to sell it to me but said the SKU wasn't active, even though it was supposed to be. But they're holding it for me so I should be able to get it tomorrow morning once the SKU activation propagates through their entire system.

So I'm kinda pumped about that. I'll let you all how it goes.

That would be awesome, i am only really looking at the XL so any info would be great.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Ah, yes. The European, South American and asian markets where due nature of selling unlocked phones, phone pricing is an even bigger factor. Hence why nokias low end blitz was more effective than the US.

Good thing Microsofts new phones are competitively and realistically priced to keep that market share growing!

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Microsoft knows wm10 is not ready for primetime but felt pressure to get flagships out before the holiday period. Hence they priced it so that only diehards who MIGHT tolerate some bugs would buy it now and plan to aggressively drop the price later when its more complete.

I wonder though what the perception of aggressive price drops are to consumers though. It seems likely that the price drops will be perceived as the phone not selling (true) and thus be used as a reason not to buy it even at cheaper prices

I may be misunderstanding your point, but we can actually also buy subsidized phones.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I may be misunderstanding your point, but we can actually also buy subsidized phones.

Yes, we do. His point was more focused at our freedom when it comes to carrier bands since I can buy an unlocked phone from Germany and use it with Orange in Spain. I rather spend a bit more for an unlocked phone than being chained 18 to 24 months to a carrier and having poo poo software and sim locks.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Snakes in a can posted:

That would be awesome, i am only really looking at the XL so any info would be great.

I'm just getting ready to head out now and I'll be hitting the Microsoft Store before anything else so I'll definitely follow up here once I've got my hands on the phone.

I do remember the box saying that it was a dual sim phone though. Not much use for that feature for me, but if anyone was curious. I'll verify that once I pick it up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The unlocked XL at the Microsoft store definitely is dual. Sounds like the AT&T non-XL isn't.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

For anyone who preordered at a brick and mortar microsof store, i stopped by today and played dumb saying i heard today was the day to pick up your 950xl. They promptly brought it to and sold it no questions asked. I couldn't apply an educational discount for some reason. I also tried to switch from black to white since the white appears slightly less bland but all the phones they had were spoken for. I saw between 20-30 names on the preorder list as well.

Probably worth trying to get yours today and avoiding the black friday/thursday craziness if its not a long drive.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I did pick up my 950 XL today. And it is definitely dual sim.

I'm now realizing though, as I go through the setup process on it that my 1520 hasn't backed itself up since October 18 so I was trying to manually back it up now but it crapped out on me somewhere around 38% (right about when the screen turned off) so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Is there another way to transfer text messages, which is really the main thing I care about, to the 950 XL or am I stuck with a backup from October?

Quick edit: Oh, and I got to the store about 45 minutes after they opened and they had already sold another one so if you go, you shouldn't have any problem getting one assuming they have enough stock.

Another Edit: Here's another fun issue I've run into. I am not able to get visual voicemail on the 950 XL even though it worked fine on every Android phone I've used as well as the 920 and 1520 I had in the past. And for some reason I'm not getting notifications when I get text messages either, which is really weird and frustrating as all hell.

I'll give it a few hours and maybe reboot it, maybe restore it from a backup instead of setting it up as a new phone and see if that makes a difference, but no visual voicemail plus no notifications for text messages would be a deal breaker for me.

Ev fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 25, 2015

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

When I switched phones from a 920 to a 640, I had to reset my Visual Voice Mail online, and then I still had to go in person to a store :saddowns:

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

phone is working just fine. It does feel a bit cheap and I get some creaking at the bottom but I intend to get a mozo case soon anyway.

Can't get visual voicemail working though. Looking forward to solutions for that one.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I had to call my voicemail and change my password, then reboot the phone to get visual voicemail on my 640.

Edit: I did that twice. Then it asked for a visual voicemail password. I picked the one I had changed my voicemail to, and have not had any issues since.

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 25, 2015

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes
Is anyone getting the 950 on contract through AT&T? It's $150 for a 2 year but I'm wondering if it raises your monthly bill. Last time my Dad went in to get a 2 yr contract phone it would have raised his bill so he opted to just buy the phone off contract. I like my 635 but I sure wouldn't mind a flagship for once but yikes on shelling out $550.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bushes posted:

Is anyone getting the 950 on contract through AT&T? It's $150 for a 2 year but I'm wondering if it raises your monthly bill. Last time my Dad went in to get a 2 yr contract phone it would have raised his bill so he opted to just buy the phone off contract. I like my 635 but I sure wouldn't mind a flagship for once but yikes on shelling out $550.

This depends entirely based on what kind of plan you are on. If you're one a family share value plan, then yes signing a new 2 year contract if you don't currently have one will increase your bill, because you lose an "out of contract" discount.

If you're not 100% sold on the 950, the 640 is actually a surprisingly decent upgrade from the 635 and is on sale for super cheap over the next couple days.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

Maneki Neko posted:

This depends entirely based on what kind of plan you are on. If you're one a family share value plan, then yes signing a new 2 year contract if you don't currently have one will increase your bill, because you lose an "out of contract" discount.

If you're not 100% sold on the 950, the 640 is actually a surprisingly decent upgrade from the 635 and is on sale for super cheap over the next couple days.
Ah that makes sense in a weird way. Yeah I was thinking the 640 for $40 would be a decent upgrade just kind of bummed that it doesn't have a better processor. Microsoft kinda seems all over the place with their phone specs / pricing.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I've had a 640 for several months now, and I honestly don't notice the processor being old or slow or not good (but I don't play games on my phone so maybe that'd be an issue?).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Chasiubao posted:

I've had a 640 for several months now, and I honestly don't notice the processor being old or slow or not good (but I don't play games on my phone so maybe that'd be an issue?).

Yeah, I mean for a phone that you can get for $40 off contract it's stellar.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
The awful app works in continuum, good job Goon.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

OldPueblo posted:

The awful app works in continuum, good job Goon.

So long as an app is a Windows 10 UWP app, it should work in Continuum.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Well, I've had a hell of a time dealing with my 950 XL. It does take a nice picture, I'll give it that, but it's been a huge pain in the rear end.

Apparently I can't get visual voicemail on it (and according to the multiple AT&T reps I've spoken with you can't get it on the AT&T locked 950 either, so I kind of assume it's a software issue on their end somewhere... I hope). That started me out with calling customer service, who tried to do something with my voicemail but when that didn't work I decided to stop by an AT&T store on my way home that night. That was a very bad decision.

They messed with the phone for about 10 minutes, said I had to call a specific 800 number to get my voicemail inbox recreated and so I left but as soon as I got home I realized I had no data connection. So I went back to the store (because it's all of three minutes away from my apartment) and the guys there had no idea what they were doing. I appreciate the effort they put in, but in the end (40+ minutes after the store was supposed to close) they said they'd set up an APN on it to allow internet access but only at 4G speeds, not LTE and told me that unlocked phones can't get LTE speeds on AT&T, which I know isn't true because I've had an unlocked Nexus 6 on LTE speeds as recently as a week ago.

So I decided to just return the drat thing, so I went back to the Microsoft store where they said the APNs didn't need to be there, it should have pulled that stuff from the SIM card and said there was an AT&T store right around the corner in the mall, so there I went. It was at that store that I met the first guy who seemed to know what the gently caress was up.

He used the IMEI from my 1520 and activated a new SIM card, which he then put in the 950 XL and I was back on LTE speeds but still no visual voicemail. So yesterday I called the 800 number the guy from the first store gave me and the guy I spoke with first screwed everything up somehow limiting me to 4G again, but when I told him I wanted to switch back to the 1520 he had me put the SIM card in it and changed some settings (no idea what) and I was back to LTE again. So now I have LTE in both the 1520 and 950 XL but apparently no hope of visual voicemail on the 950 XL.

Various people have said that the lack of visual voicemail is either due to it being unlocked or because it's dual SIM. I don't know what the reason actually is, but if this phone really can't do visual voicemail then I'm going to have to return it because when I'm in production on a show (TV producer) I don't have time to skip 20 messages over the regular dial-in voicemail just to find the one message I need to get a specific person's number or whatever I need from that message.

If anyone here got a 950 have you been able to use visual voicemail? I've seen really mixed reports about this on various sites, although I thought I saw some people claim that the XL was getting visual voicemail but nothing I've read/tried has worked at all for me with it.

If the visual voicemail thing worked I think I'd keep the phone, I like the interface and, as I said the camera seems great. But the lack of this simple feature is just killing it for me. The Microsoft Store employees had no idea why it wouldn't work either, so it has to be on AT&T's end (assuming my phone isn't faulty, but from everything else I've seen online it sounds like I'm far from the only person with this issue), but I don't quite get why it would work on my 1520 and on (at least some) 950s but not on the XL.

Quick edit: Oh yeah, the Awful app works great on it, though I haven't tried anything with Continuum.

Another quick edit: I also feel like Cortana has gotten worse. Like it doesn't do everything it used to, but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that it isn't doing right, other than not correctly understanding what I'm saying when I try to text with it or texting the wrong number...

Ev fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 27, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Never give AT&T the IMEI of an unlocked phone. Their system doesn't recognize it and you won't get LTE. You have to give them an IMEI from a branded AT&T LTE phone for LTE to provision correctly. Grab one from a store display and use that.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
These horror stories of how worthless US telcos are never cease to amaze me.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Having used an AT&T 950 for a week (slated for wife) and then having picked up an XL for myself (which I think I'm going to return for another AT&T 950 instead), this is what I've learned:

*AT&T 950 VVM worked fine for me. Some people seem to have some issues but the fact that it works perfectly fine for others should mean it's supported.
*VVM worked perfectly fine on my unlocked imported Lumia 930 when AT&T never carried that phone.
*Unlocked XL hasn't worked at all and I've seen no evidence of anyone with an unlocked XL or 950 working, though that may change per my 930 having no reason to work.

That coupled with HD (Wi-Fi?) calling potentially also not being supported outside of AT&T's 950, and realizing the extra speed isn't necessary really, and also getting PMA charging as well as QI, I'm going to step back down to an AT&T 950.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 27, 2015

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
That may be what I'll do, but even some people with the 950 have been having issues with visual voicemail which is concerning, though maybe a software update would fix that. But it sounds like the XL will never get visual voicemail from AT&T.

From what I remember from using the 950 in the Microsoft store it didn't seem noticeably slower in any way, even the continuum demo they had running the 950 worked just fine. I just really wanted the larger screen to be honest.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Just saw this, not sure if it's true but it could point to a common variable:

quote:

I have posted this on numerous threads: WP's built in VVM is not supported on dual sim devices. Period. No amount of fussing will make AT&T or T-Mobile VVM work on a dual sim device, unless or until that changes.
This is why people are getting it to work on the AT&T model (assuming you can overcome AT&T's 'helpful' provisioning issues) but not on the unlocked one.

I remember trying out a Blu Win HD dual SIM phone that also didn't do VVM. I assumed it was just Blu, maybe that was it all along. Both unlocked 950s are dual SIM.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

Having used an AT&T 950 for a week (slated for wife) and then having picked up an XL for myself (which I think I'm going to return for another AT&T 950 instead), this is what I've learned:

*AT&T 950 VVM worked fine for me. Some people seem to have some issues but the fact that it works perfectly fine for others should mean it's supported.
*VVM worked perfectly fine on my unlocked imported Lumia 930 when AT&T never carried that phone.
*Unlocked XL hasn't worked at all and I've seen no evidence of anyone with an unlocked XL or 950 working, though that may change per my 930 having no reason to work.

That coupled with HD (Wi-Fi?) calling potentially also not being supported outside of AT&T's 950, and realizing the extra speed isn't necessary really, and also getting PMA charging as well as QI, I'm going to step back down to an AT&T 950.

These are compelling reasons to get the branded 950 from AT&T, but the value proposition of the XL is hard to avoid.

$50 extra gets you the 810, larger screen, free $99 Continuum dock and dual SIMs (if anyone cares about that).

Is $50 worth it for a free $100 dock and a larger dual SIM phone? Perhaps. It is nice to have VoLTE and VVM support, however...

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

I remember trying out a Blu Win HD dual SIM phone that also didn't do VVM. I assumed it was just Blu, maybe that was it all along. Both unlocked 950s are dual SIM.

Could be, I read that somewhere too. But I had a BLU android phone of some sort that did visual voicemail, but I think that was through an app that AT&T had on the Google Play store.

Now that I'm getting ready to reset this phone and just return it after all this crap because it's not worth my time (might still get the AT&T 950, undecided on that) how the hell do I get this thing to sync photos with a Mac? There used to be an app for it but it's not recognizing the phone being connected to the computer.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

That makes alot of sense. I had VVM on an unlocked 930 on ATT. 950xl gets nothing. This is unfortunate. I'm sure microsofy will put it on their docket to fix and get it working eventually as the 950xl is a bit more high profile for them than a blu win phone.

The absence of volte (HD calling) is bigger though. I've never had a phone that can do this and honestly text a lot ore than i call but from what i hear, the difference is really noticable.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Bonus points to Microsoft for not providing an easily accessible (if it even exists) way to move photos stored on the phone to an SD card. I can move apps, but for some reason I can't move photos so I'm going to try something else with my 1520 and see if I can transfer them that way because I'm not 100% sure that the files uploaded to OneDrive are exactly the same as the files on the phone since some of them have that living image thing that I didn't realize was on when I started taking pictures with the XL and I doubt I'll even be able to see any of that stuff again even if I can transfer them to my 1520, but what the hell. I'll give it a shot.

But it doesn't make sense that you can't move photos from the phone to the SD card. Granted, I could be missing a really obvious solution for this, but I haven't been able to find anything so far.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ev posted:

Bonus points to Microsoft for not providing an easily accessible (if it even exists) way to move photos stored on the phone to an SD card. I can move apps, but for some reason I can't move photos so I'm going to try something else with my 1520 and see if I can transfer them that way because I'm not 100% sure that the files uploaded to OneDrive are exactly the same as the files on the phone since some of them have that living image thing that I didn't realize was on when I started taking pictures with the XL and I doubt I'll even be able to see any of that stuff again even if I can transfer them to my 1520, but what the hell. I'll give it a shot.

But it doesn't make sense that you can't move photos from the phone to the SD card. Granted, I could be missing a really obvious solution for this, but I haven't been able to find anything so far.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/files/9wzdncrfj3pl ????

I mean, I don't know, I'm still on 8.1 and all, but I imagine this is what I'd try. I might be missing something fundamental here.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

OldPueblo posted:

HD Voice is not WiFi calling, it's a wideband audio codec that's used for calls between phones on the AT&T network in areas where both the network and specific phones support it. I think it's tied to voice-over-lte. I'm pretty sure it's only something that's going to work on phones specifically certified by AT&T. I looked it up earlier this week and the list of supported phones were released in the last year and a half or so.

Freaked my wife out after I got my 950, and suddenly our calls were so much clearer than you expect over the phone.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/files/9wzdncrfj3pl ????

I mean, I don't know, I'm still on 8.1 and all, but I imagine this is what I'd try. I might be missing something fundamental here.

I knew it was gonna be something stupid that I was missing. I'm downloading that now and I'll see if that'll do the trick. I assume it will, I just got used to moving apps to the SD card on 8.1 using the Storage Sense or whatever that setting is called that I assumed that was also how you bulk-copied other stuff.

Either way I did get the photos on the 1520 using NFC so it's not the end of the world if this doesn't work, now I'm just morbidly curious. But regardless, I'm going to return the XL and hope that I can get a 950 because if they don't have one when I return the XL then I'm just giving up on it entirely.

Edit: You were absolutely right, that was the easiest loving thing to do. I don't know why I didn't think of it, but I'm gonna blame my memory problems from the seizure I had recently. But the important thing is that it worked. Thanks!

Ev fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 27, 2015

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

HD Voice is not WiFi calling, it's a wideband audio codec that's used for calls between phones on the AT&T network in areas where both the network and specific phones support it. I think it's tied to voice-over-lte. I'm pretty sure it's only something that's going to work on phones specifically certified by AT&T. I looked it up earlier this week and the list of supported phones were released in the last year and a half or so.

Freaked my wife out after I got my 950, and suddenly our calls were so much clearer than you expect over the phone.

Thanks, it looked like people were tossing the terms around interchangeably so I wasn't sure. The fact that they are separate puts another point in AT&T's 950 column for me.

hotsauce posted:

These are compelling reasons to get the branded 950 from AT&T, but the value proposition of the XL is hard to avoid.

$50 extra gets you the 810, larger screen, free $99 Continuum dock and dual SIMs (if anyone cares about that).

Is $50 worth it for a free $100 dock and a larger dual SIM phone? Perhaps. It is nice to have VoLTE and VVM support, however...

Yeah that was why I was torn, I do plan on getting the dock and the faster processor (and larger battery) were pretty tempting. Having used it for a few days though I decided it's hard for me to give up one-handed use, and having used the AT&T 950 for a week I was happy with it's speed. Also, I just found out the QI coils on the XL are a bit too high and it doesn't charge on my Nokia CR-200 car dock or my Nokia upright QI stand. So that was the final hair split for me. My only issue left is I really prefer insurance through the local MS store. But they can't insure phones on NEXT since you eventually trade them in. But my wife would rather we not pay for it all up front. I don't want to do a contract either though because if my really bad math is correct that will cost more in the long run, and what if we want to trade-up to a mythical surface phone in a year? Welp.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

I wonder, is VoLTE/HD voice and wi-fi calling available on unlocked nexus 6ps or iphones or do those need to be carrier branded as well?

edit- never mind. I asked an iphone question. Clearly should have checked the verge first. Apparently unlocked iphones are in the same boat: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/9/9488403/att-wi-fi-calling-problem-unlocked-iphone-6s

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 28, 2015

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

Also, I just found out the QI coils on the XL are a bit too high and it doesn't charge on my Nokia CR-200 car dock or my Nokia upright QI stand. So that was the final hair split for me.

I have the 950 XL and Nokia Qi accessories and was disappointed to find this out as well. I took apart the car dock (couldn't find a non-destructive way to disassemble the upright stand) and found that there was no way to re-position the coil (which pretty beefy copper coils) to sit high enough to engage the 950 XL's coils. It also doesn't help that the bottom lip of the car dock can't be easily cut and moved because that's where the NFC coils are though it still could be an option. The best option is to maybe move the receiver coil in the phone since it's taped onto the inside of the back cover and somewhat easy to remove. I'm apprehensive to take it apart right now since I don't want to risk damaging it and reducing my charging options since I haven't stocked up on a lot of USB-C cables yet. I'll wait until replacement covers become available or maybe I should look into getting a Mozo cover.

I'm also really disappointed that Here Maps, Drive, and Transit can't be installed from the Store. I tried to sideload them though Interop unlocking as described here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/windows-10-mobile/interop-how-to-install-drive-maps-t3206739

While it seems I was able to unlock it, (at the very least I was able to deploy the tools needed for it) deploying the Here apps fails. I do hope Microsoft and HERE gets their act together because I really like Here Drive and the built-in Map app is really deficient as a driving map app. Otherwise if sideloading fails to work, I may need to look into other options.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Will the $39 ATT phone work on T-mobile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If HERE Maps and Drive aren't installed by default, what is? I love my Icon, but the more I read in this thread the more I think I may have to return to iOS or Android. :(