Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Darthemed posted:

Ripley's

What kind of scientific pancakes are we discussing here?

http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i3/kansas.html

Never underestimate the zeal of research scientists with too much time on their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

greatn posted:

I will admit my strength is writing, not art. I have this week's strips in the can already except Sundays. I'm going to take up that offer of the gentleman who wanted to be an inattentive colorer, would anyone be interested in doing the art to my scripts? If not I'll keep on drawing it myself.
You could just copy and paste panels from old A3G strips, to keep the authentic Frank Bolle experience.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

Does Captain America even really have a conflicted, troubled side?
For movie version CA, no idea, but comic book Captain America had severe issues of guilt over the death of his young sidekick Bucky, to the point where he kept Bucky's uniform around decades later and would freak out if someone tried wearing it.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (November 20-21, 1957)

Back To B.C.

Peanuts: Year Three (September 17-20, 1953)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wanamingo posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

Does Captain America even really have a conflicted, troubled side?

When it comes down to defending the ideals of America vs the political reality of America, very much so.

Which is a reason that a dumb superhero comic is still better than the utter trash that is Zippy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Right or wrong, you're being a bad friend.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Right or wrong, you're being a bad friend.

Honestly, has Bernice ever been a good friend?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

She's satisfied the Luann metrics for being a good friend. That is: doing nothing to demonstrate it, but having us repeatedly be told that it is the case.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

As long as I've been regularly reading Luann, Bernice has existed to consistently poo poo on anything Luann is trying to do or dream. In real life this would make Luann the weak-willed victim of an emotionally abusive monster who manipulates her by destroying her self-esteem, but this is Luann and the Evanses say Bernice is Luann's best friend and Tiff is her worst enemy, so there you have it. Bernice is a great friend and Tiffany is an awful bitch and any girl would be lucky to have a thoughtful young man like Gunther as her boyfriend.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

As long as I've been regularly reading Luann, Bernice has existed to consistently poo poo on anything Luann is trying to do or dream. In real life this would make Luann the weak-willed victim of an emotionally abusive monster who manipulates her by destroying her self-esteem, but this is Luann and the Evanses say Bernice is Luann's best friend and Tiff is her worst enemy, so there you have it. Bernice is a great friend and Tiffany is an awful bitch and any girl would be lucky to have a thoughtful young man like Gunther as her boyfriend.

Luann specifically asked for Bernice to hate Pru for her, so this is more of a 'Luann gets exactly what she asked for' situation.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
This is a bit (way) late, but did anyone else lose their interest in Zippy after that storyline earlier this year with the actors playing Zippy and Zerbina being completely unhappy and tried running away before realizing that they were better off playing characters they completely hated? Call me a sentimental complete idiot, but I can't read the strip anymore without thinking "those poor completely and absolutely fake actors with their completely and absolutely terrible acting jobs."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tunicate posted:

Luann specifically asked for Bernice to hate Pru for her, so this is more of a 'Luann gets exactly what she asked for' situation.

Yeah, I was noting earlier that the roles were completely switched here; Bernice seemed skeptical of the Prudence-hate until these last few strips if I recall correctly.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I was noting earlier that the roles were completely switched here; Bernice seemed skeptical of the Prudence-hate until these last few strips if I recall correctly.

She's probably being all analyst-hatey to teach Luann a lesson.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Howard Beale posted:

She's probably poorly written.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I might add that I'm pretty sure they don't teach that kind of mumbo jumbo in psych, abnormal or otherwise.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bernice offered (and at the time it was a really nice thing to say). Luann gave an ambiguous answer that might have been agreement or might have been a polite attempt at a brush-off. Regardless, Luann clearly doesn't want to ride the hate tank now, so it's time for Bern to cool it.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Kumaton posted:

This is a bit (way) late, but did anyone else lose their interest in Zippy

Yes

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (November 24, 1950)

Barnaby (May 1, 1942)

Nancy (January 9, 1943)

Krazy Kat (April 14, 1929)

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Whoa we can almost see knees here.

Today, in my comics, I found I was looking a lot at little details.

Mary Worth

Why does that bear keep moving around?

I knew I'd seen that bear somewhere before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eItsuqs6S30

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
drat, Nancy is being such a poo poo lately.
Someone used to post Fritzi Ritz before Nancy. I'm curious how nancy came to be in the strip.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 06/22/14

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Brooke's signature always reads as "Broken" to me.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A3G

Edit: the casing was being removed somehow

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 25, 2015

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Might wanna check that image link.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Rule 34 (and maybe the other books in the series it's a part of) by Charles Stross is written in second person. It's really annoying and doesn't seem to add anything to the story unless there was something I was missing. I really didn't get the hype for it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Goove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

treasureplane posted:

Krazy Kat (April 14, 1929)

I won't even pretend to understand this comic half the time.

E: When I was a kid I got a big omnibus book of Krazy Kat comics from my local library and remember enjoying it quite a bit back then.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 25, 2015

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Understanding Krazy Kat is an art form. The first thing you need to do is ignore the centre panel. It's just there to throw you off. If you were reading this in an actual newspaper, you would be expected to cut that panel out with scissors first and set it aside, to be appreciated separately at the end of the year.

Second thing is you have to know is that while each individual strip is a comedy, the overall story is a tragedy. Every character is suffering from his own fatal flaw.

At the time, homosexuality was considered a mental disorder. The kat is called 'krazy' not because he talks funny, but because he is in love with another man, and on top of it, that man is an irredeemable bigot.

Ignatz hates Krazy. This isn't like Tom and Jerry, where they fight most of the time but can find common ground now and then. He hates everything that Krazy is. He throws bricks at Krazy's head because he can't stand to get any closer than that. If he could bear to be right next to Krazy for long enough, he'd try to kill him.

Officer Pupp understand all of this, and is sympathetic to Krazy, but he also knows what times he's living in. There are no hate crime laws, and even if he did try to charge Ignatz with anything higher than a misdemeanor, no jury would convict a God-fearing American defending himself against a gay foreigner who doesn't know his place. So he does his best to keep them separated, he tries to talk Krazy out of his infatuation, and sticks Ignatz in the drunk tank for a while whenever he catches him in the act. It's the most he can do.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 25, 2015

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County 2015

Skippy (September 26, 1928)

Peanuts (November 27, 1968)

At least collection agencies don't take it personally.

Funky Winkerbean

Jen knows that west coast cuisine is okay, but they really don't know how to make a pizza that tastes like failure and the looming specter of death.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 27-28, 1928)

Thimble Theater (June 13, 1929)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Freezing pizza sounds like an awful idea.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It's not delivery, well actually it is delivery. But it's a delivery of frozen pizzas! I always scroll past Funky. Is there a reason why a guy having food-encrusted garbage stacked waist high is supposed to be endearing?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Comix that Demand Respect

Pooch Café

Droolia knew that would happen. She's always been smarter than Poncho. Most dogs in the strip are at least a little smarter than Poncho, but she's smart enough to trick him into things.

Ballard Street

I forgot to eat breakfast this morning. Why are you doing this to me, Ballard Street?

Lost Side of Suburbia

Nightjars are real animals, shivaree sirens aren't. I think that's symbolism for the transition in the conversation.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

And the little dog, too!

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

He's got a Rodney Dangerfield look to him.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That is an incredibly expressive face, and I have no idea what it's expressing.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Endless Mike posted:

Freezing pizza sounds like an awful idea.

Works out alright for Lou Malnatti's. They flash freeze, though, and I feel like that wouldn't be the case with Montoni's, but Funky gonna Funky I guess.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

Is there a reason why a guy having food-encrusted garbage stacked waist high is supposed to be endearing?
In a (slightly) better comic, it would be meant as a sarcastic quip.

But in Funky Winkerbean, it's probably safer to assume that it's meant as an expression of relief that coming out to Hollywood hasn't changed them. They may be surrounded by pleasant temperatures, beautiful people, and amazing restaurants covering almost the entire globe's cuisine, but they remain true to their miserable lovely roots -- grousing to each other about work in their lovely, foul-smelling office all day, then trudging home to their lovely, foul-smelling apartment at night to eat the same loving meal over and over again with the curtains drawn. And even then, they wish they could have the kraft-singles-and-ketchup-encrusted cardboard sadness disk that their miserable hometown thinks is 'pizza.' What a relief for Jess, to know that her husband shares her complete lack of interest in better things!

The thing I want to know is, did Tom Batiuk flame out spectacularly in Hollywood at some point, or is he nursing some grudge over having his own 'Lust for Lisa' cancer script rejected? Because this is the second time he's gone to the "Hollywood is a terrible place for writers and artists to work" well in as many years.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I seem to recall a sour grapes-y blogpost or something about how he never made the leap to TV or film like Peanuts or Garfield. He's jealous, not jaded.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Even in 50 years time the world's richest nation will still rely on charitable handouts to feed its poorest citizens. Hell of a message from Rose is Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

And the little dog, too!

Bulgy and Muscles are the perfect names for these two goons.

• Locked thread