Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Glad I left Idaho for west Michigan! :v: (It's about the same in West Michigan)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

As someone who likes a good amount of what Sam Harris writes and many of his talks his latest podcast was poo poo. I grow weary of his obsession with Islam, and the constant whining about how Liberals don't treat it as the greatest threat to modernity gets old. I just try to think about how much I enjoyed The Moral Landscape, and move on.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 25, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

sean10mm posted:

It's a good thing genuine evil in real life is usually superbly stupid too.

I was trying to come up with a way to express that thought. If I recall correctly, many (most?) cases are solved just because the culprits are too incompetent to avoid leaving an obvious evidence trail.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to tell us that the footage could have been erased by mistake, thus by asking the cop to be charged with obstruction we're calling for an unconstitutional special standard for law enforcement, therefore it's a violation of the cops' rights to ever try them for this sort of thing, and so on and so forth.

Your cynicism saddens me, VitalSigns. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

Failing that, I hope you have access to alcohol.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

this_is_hard posted:

this is not correct. very few Congressional districts would have anywhere close to 12 full time paid staffers.

It depends on how the campaign is being run. I think we've had 15-20+ field staffers CD-wide in my area each of the last 4 years. Definitely we had that many for the Congressional in 2014 and I think OFA had about that many CD-wide in 2012. In the Gubernatorial I think they definitely broke a dozen in my CD, and across all the state senators in my CD this year I think there were probably at least a dozen.

By "well-funded" I'm assuming MIGF means "multi-million-dollar targeted race in a competitive district", so you're right that very few Congressional races meet that standard, but those are the races we tend to talk about, because nobody cares exactly howChuck Rangel godstomped his opponent in a D+45 district.

And obviously the district itself plays a role - field is only viable in urban or suburban areas - you can't knock doors in a cornfield.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

ratbert90 posted:

Glad I left Idaho for west Michigan! :v: (It's about the same in West Michigan)

Man, talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Heard about Canada airlifting out like 35k Refugees over the next couple of months, I know it's a cliche at this point but I really am starting to think I'd fit in better there politically.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Your cynicism saddens me, VitalSigns. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

Failing that, I hope you have access to alcohol.

Awh, don't worry buddy, my cynicism about politics is well isolated from my personal life, I'm having a lovely week :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

socialsecurity posted:

Heard about Canada airlifting out like 35k Refugees over the next couple of months, I know it's a cliche at this point but I really am starting to think I'd fit in better there politically.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34917532

??

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah? They are slowing down but doing 10k by the end of this year then another 15k by Feb then more after that, meanwhile we have taken about 2000 in 2 years.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/revealed-accused-minneapolis-shooters-fascinated-with-guns-militia-groups-and-the-confederacy/

In a shocker, investigation shows that the three guys arrested who shot at the crowd in Minneapolis are the same guys from the /pol/ video. They're gun nuts, Confederate weeaboos, and 3 Percenters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah? They are slowing down but doing 10k by the end of this year then another 15k by Feb then more after that, meanwhile we have taken about 2000 in 2 years.

I mean if they're slowing down now then that's not a great predictor of their future performance.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Man, talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

No joke. The only difference is less mountains more lake and snow. Other than that, West Michigan is exactly the same as Boise.

Not to say Idaho is bad, it really isn't in a lot of respects. Great outdoor activities, friendly people if you are white, low crime rate, low cost of living.
Just not a ton of jobs in the embedded programming fields. :v:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

VitalSigns posted:

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to tell us that the footage could have been erased by mistake, thus by asking the cop to be charged with obstruction we're calling for an unconstitutional special standard for law enforcement, therefore it's a violation of the cops' rights to ever try them for this sort of thing, and so on and so forth.

The official line from Alvarez is that the footage was not erased.

How that reconciles with the fact that the footage is now gone, she didn't reconcile.

But yeah, Chicago PD and prosecutor is holding that the footage was not erased, it just isn't there specifically for the 90 minutes leading up to, during, and after the murder. Cameras just blanked apparently, nothing to do with the 3 cops who came in and demanded the footage

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 25, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
“If black lives matter, how come this group isn’t in the South Side of Chicago when every weekend you’ve got a couple of dozen black lives lost,” O’Reilly said. “And you know who’s killing them? Other blacks.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/bill-oreillys-white-panel-declares-black-men-the-real-social-problem-after-laquan-video-is-released/

:smug:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The all white panel is a nice touch O'Reilly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sir Tonk posted:

“If black lives matter, how come this group isn’t in the South Side of Chicago when every weekend you’ve got a couple of dozen black lives lost,” O’Reilly said. “And you know who’s killing them? Other blacks.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/bill-oreillys-white-panel-declares-black-men-the-real-social-problem-after-laquan-video-is-released/

In my high school douchebag libertarian days I ate O'Reilly's poo poo up, while at the same time seeing the rest of Fox News as the propaganda it was. He's really good at what he does.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

"I believe you will find that the Demonrat Welfare Machine killed the unarmed guy :smug:" -an article I refuse to link

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The right has been obsessed with white knighting Chicago black on black violence for how long now? I swear it gets dropped every single time some pundit wants to handwave some instance of police overreach or poo poo on protestors.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can a President revoke previous Presidents' awarding of the medal of freedom?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Not to say Idaho is bad, it really isn't in a lot of respects. Great outdoor activities, friendly people if you are white, low crime rate, low cost of living.

That sounds like the West Side for sure. I'm in Detroit, so as far as I'm concerned, everything west of, say, Chelsea may as well be Indiana.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

The official line from Alvarez is that the footage was not erased.

How that reconciles with the fact that the footage is now gone, she didn't reconcile.

But yeah, Chicago PD and prosecutor is holding that the footage was not erased, it just isn't there specifically for the 90 minutes leading up to, during, and after the murder. Cameras just blanked apparently, nothing to do with the 3 cops who came in and demanded the footage

I don't know how they think anyone is dumb enough to believe this poo poo, jesus christ.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't know how they think anyone is dumb enough to believe this poo poo, jesus christ.

I take it you haven't spoken to a middle-aged white person lately.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I 100% guarantee both my parents do

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Cause there are enough racists police supporters who will say they believe it in order to defend the police

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

They just need one juror to believe it and they're good to go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Am I really a dumb rear end for thinking that cops don't go to work wanting to kill a guy for no reason? Even if they don't have any humanity, why would they want to go through the paperwork? I'm just trying to get into the mind of a cop who just comes out guns blazing and shooting a kid who doesn't appear threatening at all. The best I can come up with is some sort of mental illness or PTSD?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Well...

mcmagic posted:

Am I really a dumb rear end for thinking that cops don't go to work wanting to kill a guy for no reason? Even if they don't have any humanity, why would they want to go through the paperwork? I'm just trying to get into the mind of a cop who just comes out guns blazing and shooting a kid who doesn't appear threatening at all. The best I can come up with is some sort of mental illness or PTSD?

Oh okay I guess no cop has ever committed murder then

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That sounds like the West Side for sure. I'm in Detroit, so as far as I'm concerned, everything west of, say, Chelsea may as well be Indiana.

Yeah but we get better roads. :smug:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
They're just gang members who wear blue instead of red.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mcmagic posted:

When I was an edgy teenager in the mid-2000s I thought that the only reason anyone signed up for the army was to murder Muslims. Now I stand firm in my belief that anyone who signs up for a police force in the US is only there to kill black people.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

Some get scared, that explains the unloading of entire clips and reloading, but there's plenty that join up because they got kicked out of the military and want to gently caress poo poo up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe 2nd degree murder?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

quote:

Congresswoman Diane Black was inconvenienced at Nashville’s airport, and now she's literally making a federal case out of it. She forgot her driver’s license and—shock of all shocks!—TSA agents wouldn’t let her use her handgun carry permit to board her plane. So now she’s decided it’s urgently important to change the law to make handgun carry permits an acceptable form of identification for clearing airport security.

It’s not about Black showing TSA who's boss for delaying her briefly while she rummaged around for her congressional voting card—an acceptable form of ID. Oh no, Black explains in this Fox News article, this is all about ending rampant discrimination against our nation’s citizen gunmen, who have been treated like dirt by that drat Obama administration.

http://m.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2015/11/25/traveling-gun-owners-give-thanks-for-diane-black

Nice to see what she's up to these days, I knew her way back when she was just trying to get kickbacks for her husband's toll road. :sadpeanut:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

People live in different spheres of reality the problem is society nor the internet will acknowledge this outside of direct desire to go to the Zoo. Example of which being the freep thread

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Maybe 2nd degree murder?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/08/walter-scott-shooting-michael-slager-charged-murder

quote:

Michael Slager was indicted by a grand jury in Charleston County for the murder of Walter Scott on 4 April, Scarlett Wilson, the solicitor for the ninth judicial circuit, announced at a press conference.

The brief indictment alleged that Slager killed Scott “with malice aforethought”. It was both considered and returned by the grand jury on Monday morning.

Although your definition of first degree murder appears to differ from South Carolina's, since Slager didn't open his eyes in bed and think "I am going to find and kill a man named Walter Scott today"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Well...

That's not what he's loving saying, quit being so loving dense. His point is at trying to understand why a cop suddenly decides it's a good idea to unload over a dozen bullets into someone who's clearly not a threat.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the_paradigm_shift posted:

http://m.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2015/11/25/traveling-gun-owners-give-thanks-for-diane-black

Nice to see what she's up to these days, I knew her way back when she was just trying to get kickbacks for her husband's toll road. :sadpeanut:

ID is not required to fly and TSA agents are supposed to let you through if you have some other means to verify your identity. It is right there on their website.

Of course the TSA routinely straight up lies about how procedures are used at checkpoints even when presented with overwhelming evidence that they are lying. An absolute clusterfuck of an incompetent agency that needs to be almost totally disbanded (and not replaced by private screeners either).

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

ID is not required to fly and TSA agents are supposed to let you through if you have some other means to verify your identity. It is right there on their website.

Of course the TSA routinely straight up lies about how procedures are used at checkpoints even when presented with overwhelming evidence that they are lying. An absolute clusterfuck of an incompetent agency that needs to be almost totally disbanded (and not replaced by private screeners either).

I imagine they have at least an internal definition of what constitutes a valid ID and does anyone know how easy a ccw card would be to fake past tsa? I have no idea but I have to imagine it's not a valid way to prove your ID seeing as the police would ask for another form of ID to verify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

• Locked thread