Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Well I guess this is a good time to post about the private server I've been playing on: QuetzRebirth. It's small, it's only been up for about 6 months, but there's a core active playerbase that regularly does endgame. Basically it's a bunch of players (mostly from Quetz originally, hence the name) who all used to play and love FFXI back in the day but now we're all grown and have lives and so we want to relive the fun but avoid the bullshit. It's a 75 cap server with expansions up to ToAU whose goal is to remove as much of the stupid levelgrind as possible and get into the fun of endgame. They've done a lot of really cool custom mods as well, such as changing drop pools so that you can still get gear from areas that haven't yet been implemented in DSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
There's a surprising amount of people who prefer FFXI pre-abyssea. I know a lot of turbonerds irl, and they always say the game was better before Abyssea. I think they're loving insane. One of the guys I know why says it is literally autistic, though, so there's that. If Abyssea never made FFXI more casual friendly, I would have never even considered ever playing it again. It wouldn't even be possible to do with a job and a life!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's nostalgia not only for a time when getting a shiny in a game was so horribly rare that it "meant something", but also for a time when you had that much free time to throw at a game, and a time when your alternative options for fun weren't as fun as that game.

Even if you play a similarly balanced game now, you can't go back to that mental state. In the meantime, you've either got less free time or you've discovered new things to do with it which in all likelihood are more fun than sitting down to an unproductive grind.

So most people with rose-tinted nostalgia goggles who go for these old school private servers will sit down, try it out for a while, indulge in the nostalgia, and then stop playing a week later (or less) when they realize they're not actually finding it fun any more. A few will stick around, though I really can't understand the mindset of anyone who's experienced anything with a better fun-to-time ratio than an endless grind/farm/camp and who will still do the latter for an extended period anyway.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

There's a surprising amount of people who prefer FFXI pre-abyssea. I know a lot of turbonerds irl, and they always say the game was better before Abyssea. I think they're loving insane. One of the guys I know why says it is literally autistic, though, so there's that. If Abyssea never made FFXI more casual friendly, I would have never even considered ever playing it again. It wouldn't even be possible to do with a job and a life!

To be fair, (just like RoV) The first implimentation of abyssea was poo poo. It obsoleted alot and funneled everything into a small congested situation. Since abyssea was implemented in stages and involved level cap bumps each stage for the majority of it the event was inaccessible and unfriendly.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I think it's nostalgia but nostalgia about poo poo they never did but saw or heard of other people doing and want to do it too. Like I played the poo poo out of WoW TBC and did all the hard content when it was current. I found it fun but I would never ever play a loving TBC private server and do it all over again. On the other hand though I didn't do a ton of vanilla WoW raiding and wouldn't be so apprehensive to go in and try it on a private server.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Holyshoot posted:

I think it's nostalgia but nostalgia about poo poo they never did but saw or heard of other people doing and want to do it too. Like I played the poo poo out of WoW TBC and did all the hard content when it was current. I found it fun but I would never ever play a loving TBC private server and do it all over again. On the other hand though I didn't do a ton of vanilla WoW raiding and wouldn't be so apprehensive to go in and try it on a private server.

I got nostalgia for EQ1 pre Luclin era. P99 is perfect for that. I got to farm a fungus tunic on a monk. I never thought I would do it, but it happened.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I've been playing FFXIV for like two years and thought I should take a break from it (mostly because my computer poo poo itself, so I'm on a low end burner), and figured "hey, FFXI will dissappear entirely one day, you can't let an entire Final Fantasy get away from you".

So after a god drat 7 hour install and update, I rolled a Monk on Asura. I don't understand a god drat thing about this game but I think I can pick it up, archaic as it seems to me right now. Is there some kind of guide for what to do and when things become available? My goal here is to run through all of the story and just kinda stop once I've finished most of the main story, and so far I am charged with finding a market board after like two hours of trying to figure out where to start the Main Story.

Basically I don't know what I'm doing at all and have no idea how to find other goons/anyone else at all. My starting town is some kind of castle near a wooded area? Got my rear end handed to me by an orc. At least I don't delevel anymore (I don't right oh god I hope I don't level down)

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
You lose like 100xp after lv30, it's insignificant

also if you want to do -all- of the story you're in for a longass wild ride so get ready

a good place to start is probably the Rhapsodies plot which kinda incorporates the other plot into it, I think the bgwiki has the details on that stuff

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I've been playing FFXIV for like two years and thought I should take a break from it (mostly because my computer poo poo itself, so I'm on a low end burner), and figured "hey, FFXI will dissappear entirely one day, you can't let an entire Final Fantasy get away from you".

So after a god drat 7 hour install and update, I rolled a Monk on Asura. I don't understand a god drat thing about this game but I think I can pick it up, archaic as it seems to me right now. Is there some kind of guide for what to do and when things become available? My goal here is to run through all of the story and just kinda stop once I've finished most of the main story, and so far I am charged with finding a market board after like two hours of trying to figure out where to start the Main Story.

Basically I don't know what I'm doing at all and have no idea how to find other goons/anyone else at all. My starting town is some kind of castle near a wooded area? Got my rear end handed to me by an orc. At least I don't delevel anymore (I don't right oh god I hope I don't level down)

You should probably just watch youtube videos of the story. It would be a lot less painful and quicker.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
alternatively wait for the mobile version, however that's going to play out

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you buy the regular version of Seekers of Adoulin do you get the other expansions as well? The collectors edition specifically says all the previous expansions are bundled, but $30 is a bit steep when I just want to tool around since it's been so long since I last played.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Robo Reagan posted:

If you buy the regular version of Seekers of Adoulin do you get the other expansions as well? The collectors edition specifically says all the previous expansions are bundled, but $30 is a bit steep when I just want to tool around since it's been so long since I last played.

You just missed a sale where it was $10 for the Ultimate Collection.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of course I did

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The regular version of seekers is also just the expansion, it doesn't even come with the main game.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Looks like it's $9 right now on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B00AWEMODK

yolo
Aug 6, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Looks like it's $9 right now on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B00AWEMODK
If you want the bonus items (choco shirt/weird beret) then buy it from this link or off of steam because those fuckers from the square-enix online store will never provide you with either of the bonus codes and now I have to choose between re-purchasing the digital download from a different retailer or refilling my cat's antibiotics prescription (and I was already pretty close to just euthanizing that cat anyways given that I can legally drown it in the USA).

yolo fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 3, 2015

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

yolo posted:

If you want the bonus items (choco shirt/weird beret) then buy it from this link or off of steam because those fuckers from the square-enix online store will never provide you with either of the bonus codes and now I have to choose between re-purchasing the digital download from a different retailer or refilling my cat's antibiotics prescription (and I was already pretty close to just euthanizing that cat anyways given that I can legally drown it in the USA).

All the while the leader of one of my other lses debates buying another copy of the soundtrack (like 80 bucks?) For the code for the rainbow mog pell.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

frodnonnag posted:

All the while the leader of one of my other lses debates buying another copy of the soundtrack (like 80 bucks?) For the code for the rainbow mog pell.

You can only use one code per character. Also it's $40 from Amazon.co.jp :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

yolo posted:

I bought a copy off the S-E store. Can confirm that you don't automatically get the codes along with it.

However, I then sent them a customer support note to the tune of "yo, hey, what's up with this, this package is supposed to include these bonus codes" and within a day or two they were all "whoops, here you go, have your codes".

So it's still kinda shady that you have to know to ask for them, but they do cough them up.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Vil posted:

I bought a copy off the S-E store. Can confirm that you don't automatically get the codes along with it.

However, I then sent them a customer support note to the tune of "yo, hey, what's up with this, this package is supposed to include these bonus codes" and within a day or two they were all "whoops, here you go, have your codes".

So it's still kinda shady that you have to know to ask for them, but they do cough them up.

I did that back in 2012, I got my code in January 2015.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I did the same thing when i bought it from the store. Emailed store support and within a couple days I had my codes.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
So futzed around a bit after updated with the newest patch. Xinput seems to work well and I no longer have to install third party witchcraft drivers to get the wireless xbox 360 controller to work with this game. Trigger buttons work perfectly.

The only issue I've ran into, however, is that the A and B buttons (Confirm, cancel) are flip flopped in the config. Not a big deal, I'll just switch the mapping and it'll be back to normal. Apparently no matter what I have the buttons set as they will always revert to the A as "Cancel" and B as "confirm" in the actual game. Testing it out in the config using the test button shows the right buttons registering correctly. Anybody else run into this issue?

***Update***

Nevermind, looks like official word on SE forums is December update for a fix

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 3, 2015

yolo
Aug 6, 2007
I'm back in as Heh/Keevon on asura but i guess the LS is dead so I'm playing with a bunch of reddit ppl and i can't swear or ill be kicked from the ls.

Kithyen posted:

I did the same thing when i bought it from the store. Emailed store support and within a couple days I had my codes.

I did that too and never got a reply and I just said gently caress it and bought the steam pack even though I have absolutely zero use for the shirt with only 3 jobs being under 99. Gotta have my choco shirt tho man comeon.

yolo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 3, 2015

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

yolo posted:

I'm back in as Heh/Keevon on asura but i guess the LS is dead so I'm playing with a bunch of reddit ppl and i can't swear or ill be kicked from the ls.

I did that too and never got a reply and I just said gently caress it and bought the steam pack even though I have absolutely zero use for the shirt with only 3 jobs being under 99. Gotta have my choco shirt tho man comeon.

The goonshell isnt dead, us fuckers are just in other shells. Everyone should have a sack though and can pearl anyone they want and cuss all they want.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

frodnonnag posted:

The goonshell isnt dead, us fuckers are just in other shells. Everyone should have a sack though and can pearl anyone they want and cuss all they want.
Fuckin poo poo yeah, piss face rear end cunts.:c00lbert:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Fuckin poo poo yeah, piss face rear end cunts.:c00lbert:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Transferred over from Quetz and in as Fabiano, will try to see if I can find any of you goons online for a pearl.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

10/10

Reminds me of way back when I first started playing, must have been.....04-05? Took the ferry to Selbina, and upon arrival there were two characters cybering through /say

Eventually tracked em down behind the mayor's house, took some screenshots, made fun of em. Great stuff.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

10/10

Reminds me of way back when I first started playing, must have been.....04-05? Took the ferry to Selbina, and upon arrival there were two characters cybering through /say

Eventually tracked em down behind the mayor's house, took some screenshots, made fun of em. Great stuff.

reminds me of this

http://www.thegothblog.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole

yolo posted:

Welcome back. :)

yolo
Aug 6, 2007

King Boo posted:

Welcome back. :)
Thanks for the warm welcome but I don't think I've ever been at a point in my life where I've said, "You know what, everything is going great right now, I think I'll play FFXI again."

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

yolo posted:

Thanks for the warm welcome but I don't think I've ever been at a point in my life where I've said, "You know what, everything is going great right now, I think I'll play FFXI again."

Do you need a hug? :v:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

yolo posted:

Self-harm isn't good. You should seek help.

yolo
Aug 6, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Self-harm isn't good. You should seek help.
Im gonna go off myself on a big ol' stick of sodium.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

It really is just a form of Stockholm syndrome. Turbospergs enjoy subjecting themselves to all sorts of abuse for shiny digital trinkets so they can gloat, CoP era was rife with impossible poo poo like dring, ebody and the like. Im just suprised they dont have toau just for toau kings, and old salvage. Achievement thru self-inflicted injury

I would personally love to have a private server with characters that had every job at 75 but no missions completed(aside from limit breaks). I just want to replay CoP with friends. I miss the challenge of those days, just not the tedium.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
The server I posted isn't there, but it's close. It has all jobs/subjobs unlocked to 75, AF given to you at 50, quadruple XP rates and FOV/GOV books active. A casual player can get to 75 in about a week, some of the hardcore people get there in 2 days. However, as far as I know every server that uses DSP code has issues with bugs and balancing in the CoP storyline. The workaround on QuetzRebirth has been to give everyone who gets sky access the ability to enter sea and limbus as well, but I know a number of us on the private server are looking forward to when the DSP team fixes CoP to play it.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Marchegiana posted:

The server I posted isn't there, but it's close. It has all jobs/subjobs unlocked to 75, AF given to you at 50, quadruple XP rates and FOV/GOV books active. A casual player can get to 75 in about a week, some of the hardcore people get there in 2 days. However, as far as I know every server that uses DSP code has issues with bugs and balancing in the CoP storyline. The workaround on QuetzRebirth has been to give everyone who gets sky access the ability to enter sea and limbus as well, but I know a number of us on the private server are looking forward to when the DSP team fixes CoP to play it.

I would want it to be my own server, anyway, so I could do things like teleport the party. Not that I mind walking around Tavnazia, but... Three Paths.

stringy
Jul 9, 2004
Cap'n

Kazy posted:

You can only use one code per character. Also it's $40 from Amazon.co.jp :v:

Has this been confirmed anywhere? Some people would want to buy multiples of something if it means more codes I imagine. But SE has always been pretty incompetent with managing things like this.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

stringy posted:

Has this been confirmed anywhere? Some people would want to buy multiples of something if it means more codes I imagine. But SE has always been pretty incompetent with managing things like this.

Confirmed by me. :suicide: At least my mule has a Nanaa Mihgo statue now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringy
Jul 9, 2004
Cap'n

Kazy posted:

Confirmed by me. :suicide: At least my mule has a Nanaa Mihgo statue now.

Well drat. I suppose it's likely that even if someone were to buy the bluray and the artbook (seeing as how the puzzle is out of stock) only one of those codes would work per character?