Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I think the weirdest part is that the oracle text says "an opponent" and the original card says "target opponent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

That's true of a lot of old cards. Kismet is one of them that I play with frequently. I think it was really just up to whoever was doing the oracle updates to look at the flavor and decide if it should be a targeted effect or a global effect.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Glidergun posted:

I think the reason for "successfully casts" is that Back In The Day the sequence was "announce you are casting spell -> tap all your lands and poo poo -> oh, whoops you don't have enough mana to cast it! better rewind to before you tried to cast it."

Wasn't it the opposite originally? You had to tap your mana before announcing the spell. It was a rules violation not to. (see #1)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
While 6th edition gets a lot of historical attention for its rules changes, we shouldn't overlook 4th edition attempting to standardize templating.

Today Hurricane and Earthquake vary only in saying "with" or "without". But here in Revised one says "suffer X damage" and the other "does X damage".

Seven cards used the word "suffer" in their text, besides Kagemaro, First to Suffer referring to itself.

Involved is a card saying both "do"ing damage and "suffer"ing damage. In Revised these both became "does". Simulacrum, Hurricane, and Rock Hydra still used "suffer". Sumulacrum and Rock Hydra use it sorta like "damage received this turn" but Hurricane is still dealing damage.

Sometimes it was just silly.

Goddammit Shatter I wanted to destroy that artifact!!

Thank you.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

While 6th edition gets a lot of historical attention for its rules changes, we shouldn't overlook 4th edition attempting to standardize templating.

Today Hurricane and Earthquake vary only in saying "with" or "without". But here in Revised one says "suffer X damage" and the other "does X damage".

Seven cards used the word "suffer" in their text, besides Kagemaro, First to Suffer referring to itself.

Involved is a card saying both "do"ing damage and "suffer"ing damage. In Revised these both became "does". Simulacrum, Hurricane, and Rock Hydra still used "suffer". Sumulacrum and Rock Hydra use it sorta like "damage received this turn" but Hurricane is still dealing damage.

Sometimes it was just silly.

Goddammit Shatter I wanted to destroy that artifact!!

Thank you.

Templating was hilariously non-exsistant in early magic. I just picked up an Oubliette for my cube this weekend. My friends and I found the wording really funny. It exiles a creature, but exile wasn't a word so it has like 3 sentences of text to explain what exile means.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

jassi007 posted:

Templating was hilariously non-exsistant in early magic. I just picked up an Oubliette for my cube this weekend. My friends and I found the wording really funny. It exiles a creature, but exile wasn't a word so it has like 3 sentences of text to explain what exile means.

I mean...

e;

And forget about tokens being created in any sane manner

This is one of the weird quirks also with what "bury" used to mean.

Look at stangg, and look at terror

At some points bury means sacrifice, and at others it means 'destroy, and cant be regenerated'

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 25, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like looking at old alpha/beta cards and trying to figure out the oracle text cause i don't think any of them have the same text in paper and online

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Exile wasn't a word on magic cards until 2009.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like looking at old alpha/beta cards and trying to figure out the oracle text cause i don't think any of them have the same text in paper and online

figure this one out.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

clone can be played if no creatures are in play now-a-days, fire the rules manager that's a functional change

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Rimusutera posted:

Yay? The over all design of it is garbage.

Yeah I mean it can be kinda unfair to compare some dork's Star Wars fan set to the work of real designers with real design jobs, but Hate is such a bad mechanic that it helps me soften some of my initial wariness around BFZ and appreciate Processing as a pretty cool mechanic. Like, they're very similar mechanics at a high level: you have slightly overcosted creatures that become efficient 187 creatures if you fulfill a specific criterion when they come into play, and in order to make them work you have to include a bunch of enablers in your deck. A few key differences, though:

- Processing requires only that you've exiled a card at some earlier point, whereas Hate requires that they've lost life to a non-combat source this specific turn. This might make more sense if losing life to noncombat sources were something that happened more naturally, in which case Hate would end up as a sort of counterpart to Bloodthirst - but Bloodthirst is fine because aggressive RG decks naturally want to turn their guys sideways, whereas Hate shows up on a mishmash of cards across potential deck archetypes, many of which have nothing to do with pinging your enemy
- To carry that a little further, Processing usually doesn't require resource investment outside the Processor on the turn where you play it, so if you hit with the Culling Drone you played on Turn 2 because the enemy didn't want to trade their utility creature for your bear, you can drop a Wasteland Strangler on Turn 3. There's like 1 or 2 cards in the Star Wars set with "enemy loses life when you attack" riders, but mostly it's poo poo like Vapor Snag or a creature that lets you pay 1 and tap to deal 1 damage to a Spaceship or player. It's a milder version of the Talara's Battalion effect, where the issue becomes "are you really getting an undercosted creature when you have to invest resources on the same turn to make it happen?"
- Processing uses exiled cards as its resource, while Hate uses noncombat life loss, and that's a huge difference in design space. It's incredibly unlikely that you'll mill someone to death with Ingest and Eldrazi exile effects, so it's essentially safe to have building up that parallel resource of exiled cards be relatively easy. If you've Ingested 5 cards, all that means is you now have resources to activate Processing up to 5 times. If you've triggered Hate 5 times, though, it means you've incidentally gotten a quarter of the way to winning the game, so it has to be that much harder to trigger Hate and thus that much harder to use Hate cards

This is probably way too much thought to put into (partly) some goofy Star Wars Magic cards, but I feel like it's helped me put my finger on why I appreciate Processing so much as a limited mechanic. BFZ still has a bunch of other problems as far as limited goes, but I always feel great when I can make a UB Processor deck really come together, and I think it's important to appreciate just how tricky it can be to make a "parallel resource" mechanic like that work.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

My floral spuzzem is still deciding on whether it wants to destroy an artifact or not.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

Not true!

Stream of Life is, from my memory, the only non-creature card to have the same Oracle text from Alpha to present day. And I think the creatures only count because some just have "Trample" or another keyword.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I believe "successfully cast" was always the equivalent to "put on the stack", countered or no. I played pre-6th but none of us had any idea what the rules were so I'm not sure, though.

If you accidentally drop your rhino as you're putting it on the stack your opponent can yell "Jenga" and Rhino is countered.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Gains vs. gets.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean...

e;

And forget about tokens being created in any sane manner

This is one of the weird quirks also with what "bury" used to mean.

Look at stangg, and look at terror

At some points bury means sacrifice, and at others it means 'destroy, and cant be regenerated'

The weird part is that "sacrifice" as a keyword action was in the game by the time Revised came around but its used almost randomly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jenny Angel posted:

Gains vs. gets.

Weird, I read that a dozen times and still missed that.

I was mostly impressed that they used "until end of turn" instead of "this turn."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I haven't been excited about standard in years, Khans was the last time I wanted to draft, and BFZ seems boring as hell. Is there anything left in Magic for me? EDH is tiresome if you don't have a group on the same wavelength. Can't justify the price tag of modern or legacy right now. But Magic the actual game is still fun as hell. I just can't find a context to play it that seems worthwhile because I feel like the new sets and new standard meta have been dull as poo poo. Help me find fun in this game again.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Build a cube.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Build a foil cube.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Grimace's Uncharted Realms Abridged:

"At Any Cost" feat. Bobby Nixon Reignited. Bobby's entire story is told from first person perspective. The writing this week is truly atrocious and overwrought.

* Bobby's whining about how he's stuck in the cave where the Khalni Heart was. His initial plan was to set up a smaller version of the Aligned Hedron Network to use the Khalni Heart to focus leyline energy to restore his spark, but Nissa swooped his plan to restore her own connection. He's bitching about Nissa and how much he wants to murder her because that plan took up a really long time to fix.

* He mentions the Mending in passing; he basically is a generic supervillain and gets wet at the thought of being able to conquer random worlds since Planeswalkers's powers have been diminished. Yes, he basically just likes killing people and poo poo.

* Bobby breaks out into some horrible prose about his options and he comes up with a solution to "save Zendikar," which seems random since he does the opposite of this the entire time. He finds his "keystone" hedron which he will use to focus power back to himself and starts flying towards Sea Gate. He doesn't seem to care for flight but says its more convenient because, "you don't see a lot of demons on boats, and it turns out there are some very good reasons for that." (ugh) Apparently he's either really loving fast or Zendikar is tiny as gently caress because he gets to the battle in a paragraph.

* He reaches the battle and finds the network in place. He remarks that they did a kinda lovely job with it, but he flies over and uses the keystone to get his spark back - coincidentally, this not only disrupts the network, but causes it to fall apart entirely so they can't even fix it. Bobby Nixon is back bitches in an all new sitcom!

* Nixilis flies around and laughs at Nissa and how sad she looks and starts randomly killing people because reasons. He decides its not destructive enough for some reason (I mean, they don't actually have a way to stop Ulamog as it is) so he decides to summon Kozilek from underground because apparently Bobby has MIND POWERS to summon him for some reason.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 25, 2015

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
A cube is a good plan, Modern seems nice but volatile unless you chuck your lot in with Twin. Legacy is probably worth it.

Unrelated, Ob's turn for a UR today. I like it, but Ob Nix was one of the first mythics I opened, so there is a soft spot. Basically his side of how he fucks up Zendikar.

Pretty sure he just summoned Kozilek.

E: oh dammit beaten like Zendikar

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
A lot of these really weird, long-winded explanations are obviously because they're trying to answer some of the questions players might have. Do you have to kill all the tokens individually after your Shatter destroys The Hive? Fear not, the card tells you!

Nowadays they do some of that stuff in reminder text, so that it doesn't look as weird to our modern eyes, but often they simply leave it off, as with the aforementioned Hive or with Clone effects. Which I'm sure has led to a nonzero amount of players wondering, in all earnestness, what their Clone does when the creature it was copying dies.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Frozen_flame posted:

A cube is a good plan, Modern seems nice but volatile unless you chuck your lot in with Twin. Legacy is probably worth it.

Unrelated, Ob's turn for a UR today. I like it, but Ob Nix was one of the first mythics I opened, so there is a soft spot. Basically his side of how he fucks up Zendikar.

Pretty sure he just summoned Kozilek.

E: oh dammit beaten like Zendikar

Twin is the only Modern deck I like anyway so if I went in it'd be that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

* Bobby breaks out into some horrible prose about his options and he comes up with a solution to "save Zendikar," which seems random since he does the opposite of this the entire time. He finds his "keystone" hedron which he will use to focus power back to himself and starts flying towards Sea Gate. He doesn't seem to care for flight but says its more convenient because, "you don't see a lot of demons on boats, and it turns out there are some very good reasons for that." (ugh)

* He reaches the battle and finds the network in place. He remarks that they did a kinda lovely job with it, but he flies over and uses the keystone to get his spark back - coincidentally, this not only disrupts the network, but causes it to fall apart entirely so they can't even fix it. Bobby Nixon is back bitches in an all new sitcom!

the way the story was written made it sound like obby was originally going to do something else but when he saw the network already set up he felt he had an opportunity

also he didn't actually need to break the hedron ring, he chose to because, as you said, he's actually a cartoon supervillain

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
He mostly wanted to gently caress over Nissa (and Nahiri), which is a very sympathetic reason

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Twin is the only Modern deck I like anyway so if I went in it'd be that.

Then yeah, it's a good option. The UR core is a bunch of eternal staples and the combo. Add whichever flavour of colour to spice it up.

Modern is generally fun, but the yearly ban game is not. Twin would avoid that entirely by being the baseline of acceptable combo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Frozen_flame posted:

Then yeah, it's a good option. The UR core is a bunch of eternal staples and the combo. Add whichever flavour of colour to spice it up.

Modern is generally fun, but the yearly ban game is not. Twin would avoid that entirely by being the baseline of acceptable combo.

Jund is another deck that I think isn't getting banned beyond its current core. But good luck scraping together an additional 700 bucks over what it costs to assemble Twin to assemble Jund.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Jund is another deck that I think isn't getting banned beyond its current core. But good luck scraping together an additional 700 bucks over what it costs to assemble Twin to assemble Jund.

The thing about Twin and Jund is that the cards you need for those decks are good in multiple decks and formats so you have some flexibility...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The thing about Twin and Jund is that the cards you need for those decks are good in multiple decks and formats so you have some flexibility...

I mean, sure Twin and Grixis Control (née Delver) are pretty much the same core of cards and so are Jund and Abzan (at least the loving expensive cards are)

Not sure what other decks have a ton of overlap though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 25, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I haven't been excited about standard in years, Khans was the last time I wanted to draft, and BFZ seems boring as hell. Is there anything left in Magic for me? EDH is tiresome if you don't have a group on the same wavelength. Can't justify the price tag of modern or legacy right now. But Magic the actual game is still fun as hell. I just can't find a context to play it that seems worthwhile because I feel like the new sets and new standard meta have been dull as poo poo. Help me find fun in this game again.

Build a group of pauper decks if you like constructed, they're cheap and use a lot of good powerful cards. Otherwise build a cube. Pauper and Peasant cubes are really fun, also I played an excellent 1 drop cube at a GP once.

BFZ draft is pretty fun imo, it isn't the typical draft the best cards in each pack go. Synergies are better than overall raw power. If your in blue red devoid and you have Mist Intruder 1U 1/2 flying ingest vs. Ondu Champion 2RR 4/3 Rally - Trample you'd take the Mist Intruder everytime.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Frozen_flame posted:

Yeah and I've already got maybe half the deck. Missing just Serum, fetches, and Twin itself probably.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

jassi007 posted:

Build a group of pauper decks if you like constructed, they're cheap and use a lot of good powerful cards. Otherwise build a cube. Pauper and Peasant cubes are really fun, also I played an excellent 1 drop cube at a GP once.

BFZ draft is pretty fun imo, it isn't the typical draft the best cards in each pack go. Synergies are better than overall raw power. If your in blue red devoid and you have Mist Intruder 1U 1/2 flying ingest vs. Ondu Champion 2RR 4/3 Rally - Trample you'd take the Mist Intruder everytime.

Apart from, yknow, The Green Problem

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Not true!

Stream of Life is, from my memory, the only non-creature card to have the same Oracle text from Alpha to present day. And I think the creatures only count because some just have "Trample" or another keyword.

none of the creatures count cause they all say summon on them, instead of creature

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Apart from, yknow, The Green Problem

Don't draft green, be thankful other people do. What's the problem?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah and I've already got maybe half the deck. Missing just Serum, fetches, and Twin itself probably.

I think Deceiver Exarch is vaguely expensive too, actually.

E: It's like $3 now so its not as bad as I thought, I thought it was up to like $7 or something.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Grimace's Uncharted Realms Abridged:
I am so glad you do these because I tried to read the last one and could only get about 5 lines in before closing the browser window and then deleting my history.

Jesus gently caress WotC, you could hire literally anyone with a creative writing degree, pay them $30k/yr, and get better poo poo than this. Hell, you could pick up someone from fanfiction.net who has grammatically correct stories and they'd be better most of the time!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I am so glad you do these because I tried to read the last one and could only get about 5 lines in before closing the browser window and then deleting my history.

Jesus gently caress WotC, you could hire literally anyone with a creative writing degree, pay them $30k/yr, and get better poo poo than this. Hell, you could pick up someone from fanfiction.net who has grammatically correct stories and they'd be better most of the time!

I don't know that the overarching story is really that bad, its mostly the problem that so many of the individual writers are really bad. The Nissa stories written by Kimberly Krienes (she's bad enough I remembered her name) are truly standouts in terms of atrocious, overwrought writing and do an excellent job of making Nissa an eminently hateable character.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yawgmoth posted:

pay them $30k/yr,

Apparently they can't even do this with programmers for half of their revenue stream so there's no luck here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Speaking of: I'm considering doing a sealed daily, having never done a daily before, is it worth a go instead of queues? I'm not clear what QPs are for.
Edit: Found it, probably too late in the month for the points to matter, but prizes seem okay compared to a queue.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 25, 2015

• Locked thread