Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah if the ad is asking too much or the seller lists that there is some negotiation room then sure by all means, but when I out firm in all caps on the ad, state 2x that I am firm in person, then get a text after the buyer leaves lowballing me by $ 2500 on the cheapest clean rubi in the province... It just gets on my nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, if an ad makes it plainly visible firm that's a pretty stupid rear end move. Almost as lovely as making a deal and at the meetup trying to go cheaper than the agreed deal.

Yeah, :fuckoff: to those assholes.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Powershift posted:

holy poo poo, i was stuck on the highway behind that accident. They had the highway closed in both directions for close to an hour. Traffic northbound was still backed up well into red deer.
poo poo, don't tell me that first photo you posted was the semi that hit the MLA :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

poo poo, don't tell me that first photo you posted was the semi that hit the MLA :(

No, that one was up near leduc. I was stuck a good km behind the traffic. they were loading up a red volvo and there was a little red car with the back end right smashed in in the turnout at the top of the hill, but that was all going southbound.

Reading about it, it sounds like he was out of his vehicle at the bottom of an icy hill. Not the smartest thing to do.

An SUV lost it right in front of us, and almost hit us trying to steer back onto the road. drat shame the cocksucker never rolled.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Powershift posted:

Reading about it, it sounds like he was out of his vehicle at the bottom of an icy hill. Not the smartest thing to do.
Out of his vehicle trying to help someone who'd rolled their car into the median, apparently. Maybe not a genius move, but a noble one.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

jonathan posted:

Yeah if the ad is asking too much or the seller lists that there is some negotiation room then sure by all means, but when I out firm in all caps on the ad, state 2x that I am firm in person, then get a text after the buyer leaves lowballing me by $ 2500 on the cheapest clean rubi in the province... It just gets on my nerves.

Sorry to disagree but that's not very healthy attitude to take. Your commodity item is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. You can put "X dollars and a blowjob" in your ad and be "very firm" on it but it doesn't make you right or reasonable.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The drive in today was fun. If you're drive an Oldsmobile Alero on all seasons you should probably get out of the left lane unless you're turning.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It blows my mind how people can buy a brand new Odyssey and huge expensive car seats and tell themselves that no expense is too great for their child and then drive on the OEM all seasons.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I got way too much pleasure blowing past a brand new BMW 3 series with X drive in my 30 year old rusted out shitbox this morning for that sort of thing to bother me.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I just got my Yoko Iceguards put on (long story - turns out, even with something in writing, car sales men aren't worth their word). Who needs four wheel drive? 365hp/420ftlb and a rear locker is enough. So much sideways fun if TCS and the transmission get put in sport mode. I need some Fujiwara Tofu decals for my doors.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It was surprisingly miserable out there this morning.

Then as soon as noon hits the sun is all "hey, sup" and it's nice again what the actual gently caress.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Because it was just pointed out to me:

Welcome to page 69, you weird thread.

Also who wants to go to Pick N Pull this weekend?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I will wrench all the things.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
A buddy of mine was one of the people on scene giving Manmeet Bhullar first aid. I guess he's pretty shook up by it.

On a lighter note, if I was a single guy id be torn between complaining about how ludicrous GMT prices are, and desperately shuffling money around because this truck is almost perfect IMO. :swoon:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Let's review the Seat Safety Switch Truck Approval Grid.

[x] V8
[x] 4x4
[x] Flares
[x] (bonus points) Body-coloured flares
[ ] Stepside bed
[x] Beige, brown or tan
[x] Chrome bumper
[x] Short box
[x] Short bed
[x] Cherry bombs

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Missed the moderately good motor by a year, though; that's a TBI 350.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Raluek posted:

Missed the moderately good motor by a year, though; that's a TBI 350.

Yeah true. But it's still a Lego motor. No dearth of options.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Let's review the Seat Safety Switch Truck Approval Grid.

[x] V8
[x] 4x4
[x] Flares
[x] (bonus points) Body-coloured flares
[ ] Stepside bed
[x] Beige, brown or tan
[x] Chrome bumper
[x] Short box
[x] Short bed
[x] Cherry bombs

Ugh I know. A step side bed and a Chevy front clip are the only ways to make that truck better IMO.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah true. But it's still a Lego motor. No dearth of options.

Yeah, you just have to do heads to make it do much. Not like it's too hard to grab a set of Vortecs from the junkyard or anything, though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iv46vi posted:

Sorry to disagree but that's not very healthy attitude to take. Your commodity item is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. You can put "X dollars and a blowjob" in your ad and be "very firm" on it but it doesn't make you right or reasonable.

LoL what ? Try explaining that to the clerk next time you go to buy something at best buy or 7-11. I don't need the money. I don't need to sell. $15,500 is the point where its worth more as cash than as a fun hobby vehicle. What I'm pissy about is having someone give me the run around. I had all sorts of things to do instead of wait around on a day off. Now that it's winter I might bump the price back up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
iv is the king of lowballs. His technique saved me 30% off the purchase of a used Honda.

Also, I have an imitator: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/forward-control-1744511204

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Frankly I'm proud this bizarre regional thread manages to stay on the front page. :canada:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

iv46vi posted:

He's already plainly said in the ad

jonathan posted:

That is an idiot move. It's like "Call after 7PM" and the person calls at 5. It's a simple, basic, instruction in the ad that would lead me to believe the person has a reading comprehension problem and would annoy me too.

If a seller is listing as "FIRM" and it doesn't sell, then yeah it's pretty obvious he's asking more than the market will bear and that's his problem to rectify if he wants to sell. He can adjust his asking price if he wants to meet the demand curve, change it to OBO or decide not to sell at all.

I personally wouldn't even inquire with the seller if an ad says :siren:FIRM:siren: and the price is out to lunch. I might keep my eye on it though and check back or maybe even drop an email to the person like "Hey, I know your ad says firm but if you get to a point where you would consider an offer let me know."

OBO or something along those lines? Absolutely I'll throw a number out which I think is reasonable or where they might bite.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

El Scotch posted:

Frankly I'm proud this bizarre regional thread manages to stay on the front page. :canada:

If we keep at it, I bet we can change the international stereotype of Canadians from polite Laurentian fur traders to Powershift.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I read your tumblr with my coffee every morning :allears:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

OBO or something along those lines? Absolutely I'll throw a number out which I think is reasonable or where they might bite.

The best is "ABSOLUTELY NO LESS THAN <listed price> obo"

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Eh, this is not the hill I'd like to die on. You just setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting people on kijiji to obey your instructions to the letter or give your ad more than a cursory look. When dealing with people, and you ain't a Walmart, a sense of humour goes a long way to preserve sanity. Both "I KNOW WHAT I GOT" and "LOL, WHUT, GIVE YOU HALF" are equally annoying. As a warning "no scams, no spammers" is also not a legally binding disclaimer.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iv46vi posted:

Eh, this is not the hill I'd like to die on. You just setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting people on kijiji to obey your instructions to the letter or give your ad more than a cursory look. When dealing with people, and you ain't a Walmart, a sense of humour goes a long way to preserve sanity. Both "I KNOW WHAT I GOT" and "LOL, WHUT, GIVE YOU HALF" are equally annoying. As a warning "no scams, no spammers" is also not a legally binding disclaimer.

At the end of the day, I think maybe it's priced a bit low and it's bringing out the poors. I think I'll just start replying back with "maybe this just isn't the vehicle for you."

I did get an offer at full price but he needed me to meet him half way to Saskatchewan. Also he said he was young and had a cosigner for a loan. I kind of feel that selling to him would be starting him on a path of poor purchases and fiscal irresponsibility.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man if you're going to ruin your fiscal life doing it for a Rubicon feels like a wasted opportunity. There's plenty of more expensive cars that cost way more way faster for less payoff.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I think the dude who bought my B5 A4 took out a loan to do it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

At the end of the day, I think maybe it's priced a bit low and it's bringing out the poors. I think I'll just start replying back with "maybe this just isn't the vehicle for you."
:lol:

quote:

Also he said he was young and had a cosigner for a loan. I kind of feel that selling to him would be starting him on a path of poor purchases and fiscal irresponsibility.
When I was in highschool there was a kid that went to a place like Avco or TransCanadaCredit (one of those 20%+ personal loan outfits) so he could get a loan on some early 80s Maserati Biturbo because his parents wouldn't lend him the cash. Luckilly for him even they turned him down.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think I've mentioned it before but my cousin has a shocking ability to go out, total a car, then justify financing his way into a newer/better one under the belief that "Well this one is safer so it won't get totalled and I'll end up saving money."

He's planning to buy a townhouse now and rent it out to pay the mortgage, lord knows how that's going to work.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1500quidporsche posted:

I think I've mentioned it before but my cousin has a shocking ability to go out, total a car, then justify financing his way into a newer/better one under the belief that "Well this one is safer so it won't get totalled and I'll end up saving money."

He's planning to buy a townhouse now and rent it out to pay the mortgage, lord knows how that's going to work.

Unless you plan to be a property manager as a full on career, this is a good way to get an ulcer.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also LoL that if this thing sells I might just plunk the cash down on a volt. I've had a hardon for one since 2011. I guess the joke is on me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

princess auto has a pocket thermometer on clearance for $7 that seems to put out the same numbers as my "hunnert dollar" mastercraft one.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/compact-infrared-thermometer/A-p8568750e

The website says $17, but the shelf and the till both said $7. might just be a red deer error, but if you're goin there watch for it.

If we keep at it, I bet we can change the international stereotype of Canadians from polite Laurentian fur traders to Powershift.

If more people were like powershift, the world would be a magical place :colbert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

If more people were like powershift, the world would be a magical place :colbert:

A magical world where we're all space marines.

So yeah, accurate.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

A magical world where we're all space marines.

...in pickup trucks.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

This is starting to feel like a SSW tumblr post. I mean that in the best way possible.

Edit: 14" should be shipping out the toques this Friday (as posted in his thread). Once they're on their way, goon meet at my place for those who ordered one?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

This is starting to feel like a SSW tumblr post. I mean that in the best way possible.

Edit: 14" should be shipping out the toques this Friday (as posted in his thread). Once they're on their way, goon meet at my place for those who ordered one?

I'm down. We can hash out the roles in our incoming Scandinavian Scrambler bike gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This took more tries than it should have, because it's really hard to find small eye screws that aren't made of dip grade cheese.

Ecoboost keychain!