Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
bachsmith 2 rules. So much fun to play.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Beginner guitar question:

I notice in the lessons that they use their middle finger to fret the low E. Is that a best practice type deal or more of a small hand vs big hand thing?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Dollas posted:

I notice in the lessons that they use their middle finger to fret the low E. Is that a best practice type deal or more of a small hand vs big hand thing?

Depends what you are doing. Are you fingering a specific cord? Or a riff?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dollas posted:

Like Gripen5 said, it depends more on the context.

There's no right or wrong answer for which finger to use for which string or which note. Do whatever is most comfortable.
As long as the note rings out strong and your hand doesn't hurt then you're fine.

Like generally I'll finger a chord one way, but if I know I'm going to be switching to another chord it might make it easier to use different fingers. Same with runs of notes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's a system called 'one finger per fret' where you put your fingers on the fretboard and each one covers the fret it's under - so if your first finger is over the 4th fret, your second will be over the 5th and so on. The idea is that you can cover that block of four frets without moving your hand or your fingers much - whichever string you're playing, you just move the relevant finger to it

The reason I mention it is because of the natural ordering - your first finger is obviously the one lowest on the neck, so it covers the lowest fret you're playing, and so on. And if you're playing chords, generally your first finger will be on the lowest fret that chord involves. It's just more comfortable that way. So if you're playing an open G chord, 320030 or whatever, your first finger will naturally fall on that second fret note. And from there, the fingering for the other notes will probably feel pretty natural (like second finger on the low E)

That's an over-explanation for something that's pretty obvious once you get a feel for it. And as mentioned you can use different variations depending on what you played before and what you're playing next. And you can use your thumb for the low E if you're into that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

baka kaba posted:

And you can use your thumb for the low E if you're into that

Jimmy-style.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

There's no right or wrong answer for which finger to use for which string or which note. Do whatever is most comfortable.

Thanks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Man I REALLY wish there was a way to just lock all songs at 100% difficulty. (aka the real song) If there's a part I'm struggling on, its even harder to practice it when the game keeps swapping the section for an easier part that doesn't involve the part I need to practice, only to suddenly toss it back in and expect me to play it without warning. Its really annoying! Maybe for some people that helps you learn but not for me. Plus then I don't even know if maybe the song has you play the simpler version for one verse and then on the next verse you play the harder version, or if that's just rocksmith. And that's not even to speak of if you decide you want to improvise for a few bars, and now suddenly the game thinks you can't play something you've played perfectly 10 times before. And its still annoying having to go into riff repeater on every new song I buy and up everything to 100% difficulty before I can start playing :argh:

The further they get away from Guitar Hero and embrace that its about learning songs and having fun, the better.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
You can just play the song in riff-repeater and it'll stay locked at 100%, but it's pretty cumbersome, yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maide posted:

You can just play the song in riff-repeater and it'll stay locked at 100%, but it's pretty cumbersome, yeah.

Oh yeah riff repeater but select the entire song? I guess that does work, thanks. Still annoying yeah.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If you have a PC, it only takes a second. You can select the whole song, then use the mouse to move the slider to 100%.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
The Black Keys II next week!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dollas posted:

It wholly depends on what you're playing; if you want to go for efficiency you're going to have to see what comes before and after every note and keep your hand movement down as much as possible. Otherwise try and do what's most comfortable but this can lead to bad technique. For instance some people omit the pinky while they play and it works for them but it's really limiting.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

toymach1ne posted:

It's been a while since there was a pack i actually wanted, so this is good news.

Mutant John
Dec 24, 2012

toymach1ne posted:

Here's hoping for Weight of Love.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Hey guys,

I want to get this game but I'm not sure which version to get. I have a Macbook, but I was thinking of getting a second-hand PS3 just to play a few games like GTA. Which version of Rocksmith 2014 is better, Mac or PS3?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I'd go with Mac because you can use Steam. It's that much of an advantage.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I don't do much in terms of Custom DLC, but the few that I do have, I am very happy with. It adds to your playlist a bunch of songs that may never be added to the game as far as DLC goes. I am pretty sure you cannot use fan made customs unless you get the PC or Mac version.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Using customs on 360/PS3 requires modding the console to allow adding new files, way more effort than the PC/Mac versions which are just drag & drop.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

It's also easier to get your latency down on Mac or PC than it is on consoles, especially if you don't have a good audio setup ready for your console.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mutant John posted:

Here's hoping for Weight of Love.

My hope is for little black submarine.

I would really like to see the title track from Freakthickness or songs from Rubber Factory, but I think they would shy away from the songs that don't have at least either a bass or rhythm section.

My guess is we get Howling For You, either Lonely Boy or Little Black Submarine, and something from their newest album (which I haven't listened to in its entirety, maybe Fever?)

I hope they add some more weird stuff and smaller acts next year, I would love to see them pull in Soulive, Gomez, Gary Clark Jr, or even fill some of the gaps in the bigger bands that normally license for these games like Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

TriggerHappy posted:

It's also easier to get your latency down on Mac or PC than it is on consoles, especially if you don't have a good audio setup ready for your console.

Thats for sure. Even when I do all the re-routing via optical it still has HDMI lag for the video and isn't as enjoyable. I got the PS4 version just for the free Hendrix tracks they gave out early on, but do all my playing on my Mac.

Modern mac should handle it fine. On my 2011 macbook model I tuned down some of the visual settings because they don't add anything to the gameplay really. I also find the venue stuff just annoying and disable that. On the original it added to the gameplay where it was more as if you were playing a gig, but with 2014 it just adds extra distraction sound and wastes resources.

To me it just makes more sense to get the DLC for the steam version and then its there. You can install it on windows/mac wherever you want. Console you are pretty limited.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Well this just happened.

Lots of overnight idling in there but still, dang.

I also recommend the Steam version. I have it on PS4 too but that's just for the spare cable and living room session mode. :v:

e: Ooooh, Little Black Submarines is gonna be fun to know how to play.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 24, 2015

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
The Black Keys Song Pack II – $11.99

The Black Keys “Howlin’ For You”
The Black Keys “Little Black Submarines”
The Black Keys “Lonely Boy”
The Black Keys “thickfreakness”
The Black Keys “Your Touch”

All songs are in E Standard and have a Bass arrangement

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

toymach1ne posted:

That's a really good pack

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Wishlist: now that Rock Band 4 is out, it got me thinking again. I REALLY want full band Rocksmith. I got a taste of real drums with Drummania, but someone out there has to make a game with real licensed music into which you can plug a real guitar, real bass, real drums (electronic) and a real mic to do a four player real band. I want it so much.
Actually, no, that has problems. I just want a better Drummania with real licensed rock music.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Forum Joe posted:

Wishlist: now that Rock Band 4 is out, it got me thinking again. I REALLY want full band Rocksmith. I got a taste of real drums with Drummania, but someone out there has to make a game with real licensed music into which you can plug a real guitar, real bass, real drums (electronic) and a real mic to do a four player real band. I want it so much.
Actually, no, that has problems. I just want a better Drummania with real licensed rock music.

No sarcasm, at that point you should probably just start a band. Then you can play whatever songs you want without paying some game company :cheeky:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Forum Joe posted:

Sounds like you should be playing RB3 with a Midi Pro Adapter

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Well this just happened.

Lots of overnight idling in there but still, dang.

I also recommend the Steam version. I have it on PS4 too but that's just for the spare cable and living room session mode. :v:

e: Ooooh, Little Black Submarines is gonna be fun to know how to play.

drat. I play a lot and I only got 277 hours.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

toymach1ne posted:

Wow, that's better than I could of hoped for. Gonna thickfreakness all night long

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

No sarcasm, at that point you should probably just start a band. Then you can play whatever songs you want without paying some game company :cheeky:

Plus get a free drink or two when you play shows.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

TriggerHappy posted:

Plus get a free drink or two when you play shows.

That worked out real well for the Blues Brothers......

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been in bands, they're a lot of fun. But also a big time commitment. Now I'm married with two young kids, being in a band is a much more difficult prospect.
But that's why I thought about it as I was typing and realized I don't care for the co-op such a game would provide, merely the ability to learn the drum parts to Rocksmith songs. I already know the lead, rhythm guitar, bass and vocals for a lot of these songs, drums is the missing part of the puzzle.

Forum Joe fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 24, 2015

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

toymach1ne posted:

Sounds like you should be playing RB3 with a Midi Pro Adapter

I would if it was available on PC and accepted a standard guitar as input.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Thought the Black Keys pack would be more challenging for bass based on the existing tracks. But maybe I have gotten better at bass... 100% on my first try.

Also this one is a lot of waiting. its worse than some of the Queen songs

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

JHVH-1 posted:

Also this one is a lot of waiting. its worse than some of the Queen songs

As soon as I see that poo poo I jump into Riff Repeater and then just resume song. (Just in case anyone doesnt know this one weird trick, songwriters hate it)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I have a few great songs I love to listen to but can't play because of all the waiting and/or annoying redundant parts like the middle bit of Jessica.

Skipping them in riff repeater works great if it's just one break, but something like More Than a Feeling has 4-5 breaks throughout it for middling periods of time and it just gets annoying.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Man this game is loving infuriating.

I really love everything about it, but how the gently caress am I supposed to learn a hard riff or solo if I can't pause or rewind the song? Why isn't there a "pause and show me the notes" button or a "go back 5 seconds" button?

If I'm trying to learn a tricky bit I have to go back to the start of the riff every goddamn time and wait ages to get to the hard bit, then try and pause at just the right point, but hey, the pause screen covers up the notes so you can barely see them. What the gently caress?

I ended up just looking up a tab which kinda defeats the whole point.

Do you guys use it to actually learn songs? Or just play along to the stuff you already know? What am I doing wrong?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Steam sale started!
A majority of the DLC is 40% off!

https://t.co/Wb0PH5nFg8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

fuf posted:

Man this game is loving infuriating.

I really love everything about it, but how the gently caress am I supposed to learn a hard riff or solo if I can't pause or rewind the song? Why isn't there a "pause and show me the notes" button or a "go back 5 seconds" button?

If I'm trying to learn a tricky bit I have to go back to the start of the riff every goddamn time and wait ages to get to the hard bit, then try and pause at just the right point, but hey, the pause screen covers up the notes so you can barely see them. What the gently caress?

I ended up just looking up a tab which kinda defeats the whole point.

Do you guys use it to actually learn songs? Or just play along to the stuff you already know? What am I doing wrong?

Do you use the riff repeater? This is what it is for.