Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's about the loving French what you expected

I'm going to be so excited when I go to Paris next month. Thanks to this thread I started reading Kingdom and then went to Xian.

Don't go to Xian, it's a horrible tourist trap and history is treated like a cash cow but a lovely government. I think the French did a much better job preserving their culture and history compared to the loving Chinese Communists. Except language preservation :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

It's about the French loving what you expected

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Munin posted:

I can see both points of view. It's funny how your expectation of what is disturbing behaviour is totally changed when dealing in a fictional setting. Anyway, I need to have a read of that manga it sounds like...

As a further aside, I've been listening to this great podcast about revolutions. He was going to go for 15 episodes per revolution he was going to cover. He's just getting towards the end of his segment about the French Revolution after 54 episodes...
http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

I hope you also listened to History of Rome, Duncan's previous show!

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
It wasn't the presence of sex, but the ridiculously exploitative and over-the-top way the author has presented it along with everything else. Trying to be edgy and fell right off. If you took out the sex you'd still have all the other lovely, over-the-top scenes in it and dumb dollface character designs.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I hope you also listened to History of Rome, Duncan's previous show!

Yup, that's what I caught initially.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I remember English NKH channel did a report on Innocent when it was just starting publication and how the art is super awesome and should totally read this. No thanks, NHK.

Also, started reading Otoyomegatari and I remember someone speculating that it was taking place in Uzbekistan, but being Azeri myself, this obviously takes place in Azerbaijan and is about Caucasus tribes close to sea. This is evident in the names of both Turk, Farsi and Kurd origins.

But that's not important. This could've taken place on the moon and Amir would still be adorable :3:

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, started reading Otoyomegatari and I remember someone speculating that it was taking place in Uzbekistan, but being Azeri myself, this obviously takes place in Azerbaijan and is about Caucasus tribes close to sea. This is evident in the names of both Turk, Farsi and Kurd origins.

Thank you for this. The manga has me interested in reading more about the culture and art of the people depicted therein but I have not really been sure what to look for. Would the best search terms just be "Caucasus tribes" or could you suggest more specifics? I the embroidery and weaving looks really beautiful and if it's an accurate depiction of what people historically made and wore I would really like to read more about it (and see pictures!).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

ATP5G1 posted:

Thank you for this. The manga has me interested in reading more about the culture and art of the people depicted therein but I have not really been sure what to look for. Would the best search terms just be "Caucasus tribes" or could you suggest more specifics? I the embroidery and weaving looks really beautiful and if it's an accurate depiction of what people historically made and wore I would really like to read more about it (and see pictures!).

According to the inner-city customs and veiling, the story seems to take place before or during the Russian invasions and the Ganja Siege, since women still use the Qajar model of chador (long veil) and niqab (mask/cover) which the Taliban later adopted. That particular style of veiling was the signature hijab of the time before Reza Shah changed the constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_languages
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcaucasia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_Azerbaijanis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagestan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerbaijan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerbaijani_language
Characters in the manga are presumed to speak northern Azerbaijani

If you like rugs and patterns, this is probably your thing. Azerbaijani rugs and carpets don't follow these patterns and unfortunately they've kinda died out in a few areas. Tabriz still has all their old patterns but they're becoming increasingly harder to find due to the general artistic retardation and older masters dying out. You can still find very good rugs from private weavers and distributors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabriz_rug

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
The author did a map of the area that put them in the Turkmenistan/Uzbekistan region. It also kind of has to be, because when Smith was traveling west to Ankara and met the twins, they were in a small village on the southern shore of the Aral sea, which is east of the Caspian.

e: Found it

SpaceViking fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 15, 2015

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

SpaceViking posted:

The author did a map of the area that put them in the Turkmenistan/Uzbekistan region. It also kind of has to be, because when Smith was traveling west to Ankara and met the twins, they were in a small village on the southern shore of the Aral sea, which is east of the Caspian.

I stand corrected, but the customs and traditions are still the same as Caucasus tribes. This now really confuses me regarding customs, but since both sides of the sea descended or were Turkified by older Turkic people, then loads of Persian traditions and names could've been adopted by both sides.

Which chapter was this map? I might have missed it. I'm just getting to Vol 2.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Can't recall, but it would've been long after vol. 2 since it features characters you haven't met yet.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
This is great, thank you all.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Wanna eat all those things (except pomegranates, they are bad)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Must've had some bad pomegranates then.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Compendium posted:

Must've had some bad pomegranates then.

to be fair, pomegranates are a bitch to eat.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just grab a spoon and chomp a whole spoonful of them, seeds and all. :effort:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I prefer to take them apart like a puzzle.

<3 Pomegranates.

Most of the ones you find on sale are indeed poo poo though. I was lucky to have lots of small Middle Eastern and North African shops near the previous place I lived which had excellent ones.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
My parents have this massive pomegranate tree on their property. Right off the tree == best pomegranates. (plus homemade pomegranate jelly) Losing easy access to that and the satsuma trees sucked.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My backyard has a pomegranate tree too. Great stuff. Store bought pomegranates can't compare.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

MarsDragon posted:

Right off the tree == best anything.

There's also different regional varieties as well. Not all tomatoes and potatoes taste the same. And that's why dumplings all over the world taste different as well - the flour has different protein and yeast content

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New Vinland Saga.

"Good night, Thorfinn. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Did the manga ever get back to the killing and stuff?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

No and it's better for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Motherfucker posted:

No. We've moved beyond both War Saga and Farm Saga. Now we are on Badass Pacifism Saga.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Even though the current arc owns I miss farming, it was the best.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

Thorfinn never did figure out how to become Super Saiyan. I'm sorry.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Remember the end of the farming stuff when Thorfin gets punched in the face 100 times while everyone watches and comments like its a boxing manga. Then he goes and gives a speech that cures the Kings insanity.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Noted good Manga Golden Kamui just got two more chapters added. Stabbings! Gun Kata for dummies! Ainu cooking lessons! A glance at our new antagonists!

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 26, 2015

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
From the same localization group, the nineteenth chapter of Dungeon Meshi came out.

These character interactions (especially those in the final page) are gold. :allears:

EDIT: hahaha I just now realized that this isn't the seinen thread and I posted this in the wrong place. Sorry.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 29, 2015

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Motherfucker posted:

Ish. like there was that time the army invaded the farms and then not to mention this little fight scene we just had. Speaking of which Hild is a bad rear end.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

From the same localization group, the nineteenth chapter of Dungeon Meshi came out.

These character interactions (especially those in the final page) are gold. :allears:
That Gnome is really annoying and I cannot wait for the Dungeon to chew him up and spit him out.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

Noted good Manga Golden Kamui just got two more chapters added. Stabbings! Gun Kata for dummies! Ainu cooking lessons! A glance at our new antagonists!

Don't forget facts about pencils!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I'm reading that manga about the french executioner. It sure loves its drama and beautiful androgynous men. Though only the former is objectionable.

Pretty good read, on the whole.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RottenK posted:

I'm reading that manga about the french executioner. It sure loves its drama and beautiful androgynous men. Though only the former is objectionable.

Pretty good read, on the whole.

Yeah I feel like it's absolutely worth reading for the art alone.

The plot is just dumb historical fiction but it doesn't really get in the way.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
My only disappointment is that so far it failed to deliver on the hot gay sex promised by forums user ATP5G1.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Asirpa is a good name.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Not much related but Kingdom is #5 on the best selling manga in Japan which blew my mind because I never knew it was that popular

coathat
May 21, 2007

Everyone loves an Owl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Not much related but Kingdom is #5 on the best selling manga in Japan which blew my mind because I never knew it was that popular

Kingdom consistently delivers absurd violence and goofy gimmick fighting styles on a grand scale, what's not to like? The art's even gotten to a point where half the soldiers look human!

Also Golden Kamui is phenomenal and I now wonder if there is a whole genre of Japanese media which are basically Westerns set in Hokkaido.