Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Topical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skarsnik posted:

I realise this has done the rounds already, but seeing the BBC news report it in its big serious font amused me a whole lot

NEWSDAY
PHUC DAT BICH

Turns out this was even funnier than we thought because Phuc Dat Bich was a hoax all along.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Turns out this was even funnier than we thought because Phuc Dat Bich was a hoax all along.

You'll find that his 'real' name is Joe Carr or Joker.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Choco1980 posted:

Yes, but an army of cartoon goblins chasing a group of cartoon dwarves through a toy model of a cave city was not.

Don't forget the scrotum beard.

Bored has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Nov 25, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Inzombiac posted:

No they didn't. In fact, almost every shot had a full puppet that was then overlayed in CG to make it look "more videogamey".
Phone posting so I don't have the link but there is a 15 behind-the-scenes where the prop makers show their process and talk about control being taken away from them.

I want to say the other thing, which is almost reasonable, is that the producers would say "yeah, that's cool, but can we change the angle, and do more shots of this effect?" And the prosthetic people would have to say "uh...no. we built it specifically for this shot. It'll look terrible from other angles. We'd have to rebuild the effect for the other shots you want. That's why we plan it out months in advance." "Oh. That sounds hard and takes too long. We'll just do it CG, the audience can't tell the difference, right?"

That 15 min video then only uses the making-of footage, showing these effects from the wrong angle again, making them look bad and undercutting them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

This guy only gets things like, half right. First off, he's a LOT more forgiving on how "good" and audience-fooling a lot of his examples are (basically like upwards of 80% of his argument falls apart once he starts claiming that CG is good at mimicking skin, which it totally isn't). Also, as the other examples in the thread have stated, it's NOT cheaper. Often it's more expensive in fact than practical effects to do CG. However, it IS faster and easier, which looks like dollar signs to producers.

Sometimes I wonder if some people's eyes just gloss over CG too easily. I remember years ago having a conversation with my brother, and blowing his mind bringing up how often it was used just like, in Futurama (which uses it a lot for pretty much all 3D and large scale motion shots) and he thought there wasn't any.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Choco1980 posted:

This guy only gets things like, half right. First off, he's a LOT more forgiving on how "good" and audience-fooling a lot of his examples are (basically like upwards of 80% of his argument falls apart once he starts claiming that CG is good at mimicking skin, which it totally isn't). Also, as the other examples in the thread have stated, it's NOT cheaper. Often it's more expensive in fact than practical effects to do CG. However, it IS faster and easier, which looks like dollar signs to producers.

Sometimes I wonder if some people's eyes just gloss over CG too easily. I remember years ago having a conversation with my brother, and blowing his mind bringing up how often it was used just like, in Futurama (which uses it a lot for pretty much all 3D and large scale motion shots) and he thought there wasn't any.

He only said that CGI was getting better at skin and there were even notable examples where some people were fooled by it. I'd say if you don't expect it, you can easily miss a dead actor brought back to life through dark arts of CGI in the latest Fast and Furious, and it gave much more freedom with expressions, angles, etc, and frankly, I don't think they could have pulled it off with practical effects.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Choco1980 posted:

lol yes, there's a problem with people who aren't annoyed by effects shots

how dare they sit there, enjoying things

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Like any special effect technique when it's overused, poorly done or substitutes for actual content it's tedious. I can spot CG a mile away and it disappoints me when people slobber with praise over what looks like poo poo to me.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Juan Cholo shown without his co-pilot, Chuy.

Drink-Mix Man has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Nov 25, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

lol yes, there's a problem with people who aren't annoyed by effects shots

how dare they sit there, enjoying things

this but unironically

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I know bad CG when I see it.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

I took his point, but he mostly lost me when he praised Michael Bay's effects. The first Transformers was like the exact movie that made me realize that I was starting to really hate CG.

Crystal Skull definitely sealed the deal, forever, though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The steam forums for Crusader Kings 2 are kind of amazing if you look at them out of context.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Aw phuc :mad:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CaptBushido posted:

I took his point, but he mostly lost me when he praised Michael Bay's effects. The first Transformers was like the exact movie that made me realize that I was starting to really hate CG.

Crystal Skull definitely sealed the deal, forever, though.

* gray alien stares you in the face from a close-up enhanced for 3D *

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The steam forums for Crusader Kings 2 are kind of amazing if you look at them out of context.

this is friggin great

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Edit: Sorry, phoneposting. :(

Megera has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Nov 25, 2015

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

gently caress you man

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Dominic Hailstone is awesome with practical effects FYI. I was blown away and talked to the dude in the ages of MySpace. He was pretty cool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9IA6SKHPFc

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Dat BICH!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Doccers posted:

Dat BICH!

Dam Son

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

I bet they sweep before, though.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Dean must be stopped.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

These are just some of the reasons CK2 is probably my favorite game of all time :allears:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Crow Jane posted:

These are just some of the reasons CK2 is probably my favorite game of all time :allears:

In previous iterations of CKII, everyone who died before the game began in 871 and died of natural causes died in childbirth, according to the game's code.

Including Emperor Augustus. Including most popes.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

In previous iterations of CKII, everyone who died before the game began in 871 and died of natural causes died in childbirth, according to the game's code.

Including Emperor Augustus. Including most popes.

I wish more characters died in childbirth. My wife just keeps pumping out babies like she doesn't know what a succession crisis is. Then I either have to get stabby or deny my lesser spawn a decent education so they don't think to rise up, and it wastes time I could have spent slaughtering infidels.

The game totally makes you a terrible person, it's awesome.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Kids these days

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
People whining about CGI don't know what they're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think a lot of CGI making GBS threads is because of the Star Wars 1-3. It was just so sterile and uninteresting, movie fans are nervous that we are going to see more of that crap.

Avatar was not a very good movie but the CG was very well done without being plastic and homogeneous.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inzombiac posted:

I think a lot of CGI making GBS threads is because of the Star Wars 1-3. It was just so sterile and uninteresting, movie fans are nervous that we are going to see more of that crap.

Avatar was not a very good movie but the CG was very well done without being plastic and homogeneous.

I thought so too until I saw the high def blu-ray poo poo at a friend's place, it might have just been the settings on the TV but I thought it all looked like rubber or clay and just stood out painfully bad. But maybe I'm just crazy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I thought so too until I saw the high def blu-ray poo poo at a friend's place, it might have just been the settings on the TV but I thought it all looked like rubber or clay and just stood out painfully bad. But maybe I'm just crazy.

That's usually the TV settings. I just bought a new TV and had to gently caress around in the menus for 10 minutes to turn off all the picture "enhancements" that destroy watching movies and single cam tv shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nuebot posted:

People were getting depression because the cinema experience was so magical that nothing in reality could compare to it so I assume the tv was the problem here.

• Locked thread