Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

signalnoise posted:

I dunno guys I think less babby techniques like two-brush wet blending would provide a better chainmail, due to it not being a babby technique

Strong words from the poster who cant manage a proper basecoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

serious gaylord posted:

:iceburn:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
serious gaylord I've tried to avoid prying but my curiosity is getting to be too much for me

is... is your name really patrick?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

serious gaylord I've tried to avoid prying but my curiosity is getting to be too much for me

is... is your name really patrick?

My name is patrick and I am a gay tiger.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

serious gaylord posted:

Sarcasm

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pierzak posted:

Who the gently caress has time for that, pour 3 paints in, stir lightly so they don't mix entirely and chuck models into that :v:

More seriously: a dude in our meta used to play an Infinity (i.e. very high detail) force, where everything was only primed black and drybrushed. That's it. No details, no washing, nothing that couldn't have been achieved by drybrushing. Looked like poo poo up close but amazing on the tabletop, dude managed to do it so that your eye'd fill in the details. I regret not taking pictures of that, could've been awesome discussion fodder for the unspiration thread.

I remember when I was an undeveloped organism, I progressed from
primer+ wash ->
primer+drybrush->
primer+drybrush+wash->
primer+wash+thinned paints->
primer+thinned paints+more thinned paints, but different than the first to be more washy + thinned paints for a drybrushing-like highlight.

It was a continuum. Using the paint with the simplest techniques eventually lead to the lightly better techniques. I was very proud of my 'layers of thinned yellow over a nice orange for a rich and interesting color'. Also I was super impressed with my 4+ ethnicities of chaos cultists in a single integrated mob. None of it was amazing, but that's how you get better until you reach a point in life where you second guess the idea of devoting yourself to an esoteric art that essentially trades on dressing up someone else's creativity, and give up on painting miniatures altogether.

Also, I had to give up because I was never able to decide on how Ahriman should be painted. Dude had too many gilded wing wongs and different materials. Horn. Metal. Space ceramic. A *book* for fucks sake. Gems. Magic things. He always looked like he comically fell into a store display of paint when I was done. Then I'd strip him again.

Which I guess is what Tzeentch wanted all along. You know how he is.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

serious gaylord posted:

My name is patrick and I am a gay tiger.

Ahh all right, I knew it said that and all but you really can't trust what people say about themselves on the internet :)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JerryLee posted:

you really can't trust what people say about themselves on the internet :)
But he's a tiger so it's okay.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

h...holy poo poo...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Moola posted:

h...holy poo poo...

Yea i'd be hurt if it were true

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

... None of it was amazing, but that's how you get better until you reach a point in life where you second guess the idea of devoting yourself to an esoteric art that essentially trades on dressing up someone else's creativity, and give up on painting miniatures altogether.

As someone who just started collecting and painting again to relax the inevitability of this makes me sad :(

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Litterbox posted:

As someone who just started collecting and painting again to relax the inevitability of this makes me sad :(

Think of it as more of a collaboration.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

signalnoise posted:

show us ur base coats u lil bitch

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Moola posted:

show us ur base coats u lil bitch

K when I get home I will and thank you for the compliment

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

signalnoise posted:

You can almost smell the pain

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want to teach my cat how to airbrush and draw graffiti on my tiny models for me but I feel like she'll use her powers to vandalize mouse alleys and opossum burrows.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chill la Chill posted:

I want to teach my cat how to airbrush and draw graffiti on my tiny models for me but I feel like she'll use her powers to vandalize mouse alleys and opossum burrows.

Maybe I should teach my cat how to paint, she wakes up from naps and decides that she really needs to sit in my workspace and stare at me.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Nerd cats take miniature balls of lead wire and painstakingly paint them up as yarn.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sounds like something you could dry drybrush imo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Nerd cats take miniature balls of lead wire and painstakingly paint them up as yarn.

:eyepop: I would encourage this but I also box with my cat so I'm afraid she'll make lead knuckles out of them.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I paint all my models with the same toothbrush. For larger models I sit them in front of a high powered box fan and throw paint into the fan blades

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost tempted to try some of these bizarre painting techniques.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Only a sophisticated algorithm can tell the difference between your work and random chance.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/02/computer-algorithm-can-accurately-identify-jackson-pollock-paintings/

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I drink large amounts of paint until im pissing just paint, then I piss on my models

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Moola posted:

I drink large amounts of paint until im pissing just paint, then I piss on my models

this is what's called a "wet blend"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I buy prepainted "pro-painted" large army lots on eBay, soak all the models in paint thinner for a couple minutes, and then throw them into a rock tumbler with my own freshly-glued legions of unpainted skeletons and lizardmans and let it run for 20 minutes. The results are perfect in every way.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this is what's called a "wet blend"

oh I thought it was a 'wet bellend'

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Dip all your models in glitter-glue and stick googly eyes on them.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Dip all your models in glitter-glue and stick googly eyes on them.

There's got to be, like, a forgeworld titan out there that someone has stuck googly eyes on. And is now trying to flip as "pro-painted." And I need a picture of it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We've seen van-art fire prism, I expect there's a titan with a picture of a buxom lady wizzard fighting a dinosaur out there somewhere

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Warhammer: The Age of Sigmar Facebook Group posted:

I was at a shop today when I overheard the staff saying they didn't like age of sigmar and being quite rude about it I was disheartened thinking that they haven't tried it and that if they did they would enjoy it for its own game and not fantasy I couldn't keep quiet and said that I have made it my main game and it is good fun and enjoy able they said they didn't try it and are not going to and stick to 40k which is fair enough I spoke to them about my 40k army for a while but in glad there is a group like this where we can enjoy age of sigmar and are willing to try the new things games workshop have attempted to do :)

I couldn't help myself and had to insert punctuation, just so I can breathe while reading this:

I was at a shop today when I overheard the staff saying they didn't like Age of Sigmar, and being quite rude about it. :( I was disheartened, thinking that they hadn't tried it, and that if they did they would enjoy it for its own game and not compare it to Fantasy. I couldn't keep quiet and said that I have made it my main game and it is good fun and enjoyable. They said they hadn't tried it and are not going to, and will stick to 40K, which is fair enough. I spoke to them about my 40K army for a while, but I'm glad there is a group like this where we can enjoy Age of Sigmar, and are willing to try the new things Games Workshop have attempted to do.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

krushgroove posted:

I couldn't help myself and had to insert punctuation, just so I can breathe while reading this:

I was at a shop today when I overheard the staff saying they didn't like Age of Sigmar, and being quite rude about it. :( I was disheartened, thinking that they hadn't tried it, and that if they did they would enjoy it for its own game and not compare it to Fantasy. I couldn't keep quiet and said that I have made it my main game and it is good fun and enjoyable. They said they hadn't tried it and are not going to, and will stick to 40K, which is fair enough. I spoke to them about my 40K army for a while, but I'm glad there is a group like this where we can enjoy Age of Sigmar, and are willing to try the new things Games Workshop have attempted to do.

punctuation is otiose in a niche

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GW hq should have a phoneline for disloyalty reports.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SynthOrange posted:

GW hq should have a phoneline for disloyalty reports.

A warehouse filled with filing cabinets, overflowing with files containing detailed informant reports, surveillance, and CCTV pictures of people entering and leaving stores, but absolutely no record of which displays interested them, or what they bought.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

MikeCrotch posted:

punctuation is otiose in a niche

Considering their faux latin and their hilarious naming guidelines, this is just a small part of their ongoing assault on language.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I don't think GW understands what Black Friday is.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, it is an English company. I'm not sure why anything over here is doing black Friday nonsense.

At least they haven't done anything racist, yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I remember when I was an undeveloped organism, I progressed from
primer+ wash ->
primer+drybrush->
primer+drybrush+wash->
primer+wash+thinned paints->
primer+thinned paints+more thinned paints, but different than the first to be more washy + thinned paints for a drybrushing-like highlight.

It was a continuum. Using the paint with the simplest techniques eventually lead to the lightly better techniques. I was very proud of my 'layers of thinned yellow over a nice orange for a rich and interesting color'. Also I was super impressed with my 4+ ethnicities of chaos cultists in a single integrated mob. None of it was amazing, but that's how you get better until you reach a point in life where you second guess the idea of devoting yourself to an esoteric art that essentially trades on dressing up someone else's creativity, and give up on painting miniatures altogether.

Also, I had to give up because I was never able to decide on how Ahriman should be painted. Dude had too many gilded wing wongs and different materials. Horn. Metal. Space ceramic. A *book* for fucks sake. Gems. Magic things. He always looked like he comically fell into a store display of paint when I was done. Then I'd strip him again.

Which I guess is what Tzeentch wanted all along. You know how he is.

My process went from:

Primer+Wash->
Pay someone else to do it for me.

I feel this was a good process.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

goatface posted:

Well, it is an English company. I'm not sure why anything over here is doing black Friday nonsense.

At least they haven't done anything racist, yet.

Salamanders went from being black to being in blackface, that sort of counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean for Black Friday.

"Ethnic skintones 20% off, today only!"

• Locked thread