Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This performance of 'Funeral is loving great. I wish I hadn't been so drunk at the actual show. It's all a blur :(. I did enjoy it at the time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

So is there no region 1 blu ray release? Goddammit.

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013
I am constantly amazed by musicians who manage to scrape a living. The general production values of the Retinal Circus DVD (and this new one looks just as instense) had to be ridiculously expensive. But, somehow a ton of people manage to live off it. Frank Zappa was another one that puzzled me. Dude always had a band of 10+ people, and they practiced and toured constantly so you know none of them had other jobs. Where does one get that kind of money?

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Because he could justify the investment since he was selling those two shows as live footage? The last tour I saw him on (Australia) it was just a five piece band and a projection screen. I don't know how he does it in America but I can't see it being that much different.

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013
I've seen him twice (and gave him two incredibly vulgar letters that he read on stage). It was a very basic setup indeed. I wish he would have brought Anneke over to the US at least once, but he didn't. Sadness.

Anyway here's the video of one of the letters, you know, for science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lUWtlU0Mb4

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've seen him three times (four if you include SYL) and I also really wish he'd bring Anneke over. Ah well, at least I got to see The Gathering before she left.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Shunkymonky posted:

Because he could justify the investment since he was selling those two shows as live footage? The last tour I saw him on (Australia) it was just a five piece band and a projection screen. I don't know how he does it in America but I can't see it being that much different.

Pretty much the same, except he was co-headlining the last tour I saw him on, so the cost was probably split between the bands some how.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Viivac posted:

Blu ray on the way because holy poo poo. The RAH mix sounds much better than BAT and RS.

If anyone in the UK hasn't ordered the Ziltoid Live At The Royal Albert Hall blu-ray yet, Amazon.co.uk has just dropped the price to £12.94.
Link

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spookygonk posted:

If anyone in the UK hasn't ordered the Ziltoid Live At The Royal Albert Hall blu-ray yet, Amazon.co.uk has just dropped the price to £12.94.
Link

WTF is it so pricey in Canada ? Also, it's region encoded. Kiss my rear end devin.
http://www.amazon.ca/Devin-Townsend...565R6TS29DE1XKR

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

jonathan posted:

WTF is it so pricey in Canada ? Also, it's region encoded. Kiss my rear end devin.
http://www.amazon.ca/Devin-Townsend...565R6TS29DE1XKR

I suspect that they don't actually have a listing there for a disc of Canadian origin yet. That's listed as an import. Just order it from .com or .co.uk.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 20, 2015

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Devin did a live thing on Twitch.tv and made a new song in a couple of hours.
https://www.twitch.tv/toontrack/v/26647142?t=1h29m

Here's the song itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okOqKNUUIg

Edit:
The time stamp isn't working for me, but it begins at 1h 29m.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 21, 2015

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

AzureSkys posted:

Devin did a live thing on Twitch.tv and made a new song in a couple of hours.
https://www.twitch.tv/toontrack/v/26647142?t=1h29m

Here's the song itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okOqKNUUIg

Edit:
The time stamp isn't working for me, but it begins at 1h 29m.

This is incredibly cool

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013
Good tune. More Epicloud/Sky Blue but I'm very okay with that. The screams at the end are excellent. Watching him record them live was very surreal. He was really pouring himself into it.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Haven't thought about this in years. Anyone else remember this? :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMTM8ARWf2c

Fafenefenoiby
Aug 18, 2005

LEPROSY

Chromatic posted:

Haven't thought about this in years. Anyone else remember this? :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMTM8ARWf2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=058FP1nSguM

The second best Dev track, behind only this.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Curious why Oderus Urungus performed oral sex on the Necro Lord ? Or is there another meaning to that verse I'm not getting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jonathan posted:

Curious why Oderus Urungus performed oral sex on the Necro Lord ? Or is there another meaning to that verse I'm not getting.
To be honest I always just pictured him smoking the Necro Lord's femur like a giant weed-joint.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My wife and son and I were playing card games yesterday, when the in-laws called. As the wife was talking to them, we got bored waiting for her to take her turn.

My son goes, "We could listen to a whole Devin Townsend album by now."

:3:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Aww yisssss

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
My ipod has limited space and im constantly having to move stuff off to make space for more Devin. Keep it coming, I can't get enough of it. Hopefully this is something that happened organically and will be a project of passion (like casualties, which was incredible) and less like Z2/SkyBlue as those seemed a bit...reluctant.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Stoat posted:

Aww yisssss

Jesus, that's a huge image even for my 5k retina iMac!

Good news though (but really he should have a holiday or something to recharge his batteries). Shame there's no more Ziltoid Radio though.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Had to be huge to be suitably heavy for devy

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Just listened to the RAH performance and holy poo poo his vocal performance on Deadhead and Death of Music is amazing.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yeah, holy poo poo. I had never heard Death of Music before and when he came out and started singing without his guitar it was super weird but then the song started to intensify and wow. The whole massive venue was filled with his voice and it was a pretty powerful moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnDfqYlSzNs

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yeh the Death of Music performance from his Australia tour last month was phenomenal and certainly one of the most memorable parts of the show.

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
Death of Music is pretty much his ultimate song for me. We were watching the RAH blu ray yesterday on my setup and we had to rewind 3 times for it. It's that loving good.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The album popped up on Spotify yesterday for me, and I haven't stopped playing it since. It's so good.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 28, 2015

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
Casualties of Cool reissue with the Union Chapel DVD up for preorder.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
I love the bit on Deadhead where the audience totally claps off-beat (around the 4 minute mark) and he comments on it like "Life's a bitch, for sure. But if you feel like it at any point though ... pick a tempo!"

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'll interview Devin in a couple of hours, so if anybody has any questions they may wanna ask him, let me know!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I remember meeting him in London and drunkenly asking him if he thought about doing a heavy-as-balls album like deconstruction, but with a positive message since he's not angry anymore. I even suggested he call it 'reconstruction'. I guess, ask him how the symphony things he was doing is coming along. Also, if he is doing Download Festival this year. Oh, and what his thoughts are on if the chicken or the egg came first.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

henpod posted:

I remember meeting him in London and drunkenly asking him if he thought about doing a heavy-as-balls album like deconstruction, but with a positive message since he's not angry anymore. I even suggested he call it 'reconstruction'. I guess, ask him how the symphony things he was doing is coming along. Also, if he is doing Download Festival this year. Oh, and what his thoughts are on if the chicken or the egg came first.

I'll try to work those in. It's the promo tour for the 2016 worldwide release of Casualties of Cool, but there isn't that much to ask him about that single project.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

There's no schedule for the symphony thing yet. He'll go soon to LA to start working on it. He's been writing it, nothing has been recorded. It'll be something from scratch, not an s&m-like thing.

Sorry I couldn't work in the one about the egg.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Blabbermouth:

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT To Begin Recording New Album In March

quote:

Canadian musician/producer Devin Townsend will enter the studio on March 27 to begin recording the next album to be released under the DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT banner. Tentatively titled "Transcendence", the follow-up to DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT's 2014 double album "Z2" will be released in September.

Speaking to Metal Wani's editor in chief Owais "Vitek" Nabi, Townsend said about the writing process for his next CD (hear audio below): "Because 'Z2' happened amidst the crowdfunding, amidst touring and just lots of poo poo, it was really a challenging and tiring experience. So I've tried to spend this year really putting the pieces together. So now that we are working on a new DTP record, the process will be more streamlined, more efficient and more fulfilling."

He continued: "The way that I write is I just write a ton of music in the background of my life and then I just bring it into rehearsal. It's, like, 'Okay, guys. It goes like this. Let's smooth it out.'"

Townsend also talked about the new album's musical and lyrical direction. He said: "In terms of what the music is, it's always hard to tell. But in terms of what the theme is, I can tell you — it's about getting over it: getting over yourself, getting over… all that stuff. And I'm not saying that I am. But the point of it is, that seems to be the next step."

He went on to say: "You know, I'll get into situations with people that I'll be really irritated by them. And recently there's been this sort of thing that's been going on in my process where I'm, like, 'This is your problem. This is not [the other] person that needs to change; it's you and how you're reacting to them.' And that's kind of new, right?"

Townsend added: "Because I have been so pigheaded and so selfish about so many things for so many years, I've spent a lot of time being, like, 'That person needs to change. This person needs to change.' So, in a sense, this record is based around the sense of, like, what needs to change is your reaction to these things and not them."

"Z2" was a double album where the first CD was a DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT album called "Sky Blue", and the second disc was a ZILTOID album called "Dark Matters".

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
A video of him dicking around during his bit at NAMM has been posted. He's playing requests completely solo, including a minute of Love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQqFvgBRij4

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yeesh, he really doesn't look like he's enjoying himself there at all. You can see from all the jokes and nonsense he's spewing that he really wasn't comfortable.

Awesome to hear about a new album though, I wonder if we will get more of the Sky Blue/Epicloud grand pop-metal thing he's been doing lately, or something a little rawer. Who knows.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Yeah, it's pretty obvious. I actually like the way it turned out though, and it's probably the only way he could really play a demo at NAMM anyway.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Not sure where they got the album name from, but MetalSucks is reporting Devin Townsend Reveals Information About Next Album Transcendence.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yeah he's been tweeting about it and it seems he is really happy with how its gone, and how different the creative process has been. Not like Sky Blue which he didn't really want to do and a few other things he just kind of 'did'. I'm always up for more Devin, hope we get to see some studio clips soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

RVP has said that the new album is like a bit of everything that Dev's ever done and he's loving it

• Locked thread