Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So I made myself some terrain!

This is a complete trench system with barbed wire for The Great war Spearhead.

I've gone into a little more detail on how I made it here, if you are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Grey Hunter posted:

So I made myself some terrain!

This is a complete trench system with barbed wire for The Great war Spearhead.

I've gone into a little more detail on how I made it here, if you are interested.

Nice! 6mm?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

lilljonas posted:

Nice! 6mm?

Yeah, for use with Baccus 6mm.

They had a British WWI tank out on their stand at Warfare, so they can't be to far from releasing them!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
6mm best mm

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

6mm best mm

A clubmate is drawing me back to 6mm. I just started on a French infantry booster from Baccus, I almost forgot how much of an endurance test it is to paint hundreds of identical infantrymen.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Since this thread is moving slowly later:

Now that the Gebirgsjäger platoon is starting to take shape, I can't let them be ordered around by an ordinary Heer officer. So I converted up a Zügcommander with pistol, a Panzerbüchse 39 team, and an intrepid cameraman to follow them around as well!

The cover for the AT rifle was made with sculpey, and the cameraman is a Warlord Games mini. The Gebirgsjäger minis are all converted Perry Miniatures DAK, like the rest of my Gebirgsjäger platoon.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JcDent posted:

6mm best mm

Hell yeah. My current painting project is Western theater ACW:

Sooooo close to having enough rebs for Sherman to properly terrorize! Painting the little fuckers is definitely a great way to find out just how many guys you're willing to paint in a single batch.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Great job on the cameraman. I have that dude and copied his camera for a model of a USMC dude at Tarawa. Will have to dig up a pic

Edit: any particular unit or battle you painted those ACW southerners for?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

Edit: any particular unit or battle you painted those ACW southerners for?

No, I want to keep them generic but plausible participants for any battle in the Western theater- they're maybe a little too ragged and mismatched to be at Shiloh but the long term dream is to have a table that can do Grant's amphibious operations against the Mississippi river forts (perhaps against an AS Johnston that didn't take one in the artery for his first big battle) as well as Sherman and Bragg's maneuvers in Alabama and Georgia.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Anyone make use of Warlord's 50% OFF PLASTIC SPRUES?!eins!

I feel like my ambitions for Blitzkroeg Getmans will jave to wait after New Year. After that, I'm buyan' 30 krauts

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Anyone make use of Warlord's 50% OFF PLASTIC SPRUES?!eins!

I feel like my ambitions for Blitzkroeg Getmans will jave to wait after New Year. After that, I'm buyan' 30 krauts

I was until i realized that the club has roughly 120 german infantrymen, and I still have about 40 unpainted ones left. And after that, I think I will do 6mm or 17th century, rather than start another ww2 force.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I finally got around to starting on my Late Romans from Footsore Miniatures. These guys are great, and I had a fun time painting this little trumpeter:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Nice. I keep getting tempted to do a Late Roman/Romano British force. I love that look

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Endman posted:

I finally got around to starting on my Late Romans from Footsore Miniatures. These guys are great, and I had a fun time painting this little trumpeter:

This guy is great! I love how the expression unambiguously indicates that he's so tired of your poo poo.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Is it at all possible to get 15mm plastic Cold War British models? My friend is enthusiastic about trying team Yankee, and I want to do British counts as for the NATO side.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Dunno about plastic at the mo; apparently BAOR are next in line for TY, and I know there's a few places that do them in metal like QRF and Skytrex.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

Dunno about plastic at the mo; apparently BAOR are next in line for TY, and I know there's a few places that do them in metal like QRF and Skytrex.

Oooh nice. I had no idea Brits were planned for ty at all. Any source on that?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ensign Expendable posted:

This guy is great! I love how the expression unambiguously indicates that he's so tired of your poo poo.

Thanks! All of the Footsore minis have great personality to them. I used to always choose plastic over metal, but I think they've sold me on the lead poisoning.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

secretly a baby posted:

Oooh nice. I had no idea Brits were planned for ty at all. Any source on that?

Admittedly I can't find it; it seems to be repeated a lot of places where there's TY talk though. Apologies :(

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

spectralent posted:

Admittedly I can't find it; it seems to be repeated a lot of places where there's TY talk though. Apologies :(

The source is various BF employees including the guy who wrote the game posting on the forums and stating as such. British and West Germans are confirmed and are coming "soon." They will probably be paired with more soviet lists and lists for Poles, East Germans and Czechs.

While it isn't officially confirmed it seems logical that BF is going to expand FoW/TY into Cold War conflicts both real and fictional. They just about done with WWII (pacific is all that is left) so the only place they can go is forward into the Cold War/Moderns. Its the only historical market where they could drive lots of model sales and hopefully pick up a lot of new players (my group has seen a lot of interest from guys who don't currently play any historicals, much less BF ones). So yeah, if it was a NATO or PACT nation then expect lists and models for them at some point in the next few years from battlefront.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is Team Yankee any good? Moderns seem cool but I'm not really interested if it's just Flames of War with different statlines and a couple different special rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A brief examination of it seems to suggest that it does a fuckton of stuff marginally differently but is basically just FoW.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

There's a rule preview here:

http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/2015/10/team-yankee-rules-preview.html

Or you can go filez since one guy on /fowg/ on 4chan scanned it already.

It's still FoW anyways, but Battlefront makes a mean mini. Too bad that Zvezda doesn't, their Abrams is basically plastic blog vaguelly shaped like an Abrams, their T-72 is actually of the B3 variety... but you can load up on cheap Shilkas and Carnations. And as soviet TY player, you'll need them savings.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
[quote="

JcDent posted:

It's still FoW anyways, but Battlefront makes a mean mini. Too bad that Zvezda doesn't, their Abrams is basically plastic blog vaguelly shaped like an Abrams, their T-72 is actually of the B3 variety... but you can load up on cheap Shilkas and Carnations. And as soviet TY player, you'll need them savings.

What about their infantry? Bf only does metal infantry at first so Zvezda might be a decent infantry alternative.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 29, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think TY is gonna be plastic infantry, which shows comitment. I have never checked Zvezda's Hot War dudes. Maybe plastic soldier review has anything on them?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

I think TY is gonna be plastic infantry, which shows comitment. I have never checked Zvezda's Hot War dudes. Maybe plastic soldier review has anything on them?

I'm pretty sure they're not. This link advertises the products that are in plastic pretty well, and the infantry isn't among them http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5038

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Zvezda for some reason makes their vehicles in 1/100 and their infantry in 1/72. I have no idea why.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

spectralent posted:

Zvezda for some reason makes their vehicles in 1/100 and their infantry in 1/72. I have no idea why.

Review dates them at 1986, so it might be too late anyways

As for scale, umom Rossyu nipaniat

EDIT: yeah, I dunno how I dreamed up plastic FoW. Anyways, I'm waiting for the Brits and Jerries. All the hipster coolness of not playing Americans and a third cheaper than Soviets.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 29, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
December's WI has an excerpt from the Team Yankee novel, and boy howdy is it garbage!

Last month's had a decent demo game write-up though. It's doubtful I'll grab Team Yankee, as I've really moved in to more skirmish-type games and I could use FoF or something for that, but there are some differences in the rules that intrigue me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Colonial Air Force posted:

December's WI has an excerpt from the Team Yankee novel, and boy howdy is it garbage!

Last month's had a decent demo game write-up though. It's doubtful I'll grab Team Yankee, as I've really moved in to more skirmish-type games and I could use FoF or something for that, but there are some differences in the rules that intrigue me.

I think Cold War Airpower thread OK'd it, putting the book somewhere between Red Army and Red Storm Rising.

I'm also a fan of skirmish and individual basing, but 28 mm moderns are either disgusting, expensive or both.

I'd get some of that Spectre stuff if it wasn't almost Infinity expensive

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

They design for two things:

1: making a game like Memoir '44, but NOT Memoir '44.
2: ensuring that both miniatures and infantry are desirable, but to different scale gamers.

I have a fuckton of their WWII stuff for FoW, and a few packs of their Hot War stuff for Force on Force.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I'm not sure if this was posted, but for Dark Age geeks out there, a former Gripping Beast designer started his own line:

http://saxonminiatures.com/

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I'm not sure if this was posted, but for Dark Age geeks out there, a former Gripping Beast designer started his own line:

These are really nice models.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oh god that Winter King range. Want.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Serotonin posted:

Oh god that Winter King range. Want.

Too bad Arthurians aren't right for SAGA.That chi ro, maaan...

What's ya'll opinion on Spectre Operations, both minis and rules? At least they don't have the activation tango of Skirmish Sangin.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The minis look nice, but I can't even find the rules on the site so... uh... bad. Very bad.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JcDent posted:

Too bad Arthurians aren't right for SAGA.That chi ro, maaan...

What's ya'll opinion on Spectre Operations, both minis and rules? At least they don't have the activation tango of Skirmish Sangin.

Late Romano-British arms, armor and combat style basically laid out the foundation for most Viking age combat so It'd not that far off to field them in the same system. Probably as Anglo-Danes or Byzantines, maybe as Joms if you wan't to field just the Knights of the Round as an army on foot.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

If I was going to use them then I'd probably go with War and Conquest.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Those are gorgeous. I've got such a fetish for Late Roman/Dark Age stuff right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Spent a bunch of the long weekend working on my SAS dudes for Bolt Action.

Went with a Fall theme to go along with their green/red/tan forest camo

Still have to do some detailing, but I'm happy with how the clamshell packaging windshields turned out :toot:

Also did some work on Nicole Minet and her merry band of partisans: