Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Here's a good use of culture: http://mashable.com/2015/11/23/blogger-bread-vagina-yeast/#OteCQk24RaqS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

loving awful

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i thought destroying the economy was a generation x speciality tho

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/24/9793096/amazon-pulls-man-in-the-high-castle-nazi-subway-ads

don't want to offend anyone with a TV show based on fiction

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is there a housing market to ruin/ i picture the real estate market as a meteor crater

anyways will get to work on buying that house lol

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

KoRMaK posted:

Like you, a goon who posts on the internet, moving in there would be immune to the neighborhoods response.

that hurts

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

they would reject you too, me thinks.

edit: nothing against you personally, but you don't move into a working-class neighborhood and get acceptance. you have to be born there. (although, having the proper local low class accent helps.)

yo I'm working class af, also I have a very slight southern drawl and people seem to really like that (especially ladies)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ethanol posted:

is there a housing market to ruin/ i picture the real estate market as a meteor crater

anyways will get to work on buying that house lol

housing market is balling pretty hard right now but unless you're a cash buyer you probably won't be able to find a used house and I have no idea what the loan market looks like but I don't imagine banks are jumping to finance people with little credit history and massive student loan debt

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Surely the housing market wasnt ruined by house flippers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

quote:

There are thousands of recipes for sourdough bread out there. While they require microscopic fungus for leavening, none of them — surprisingly — mean that kind of yeast.

Oh yeah wow that's so surprising. On the same note, I can't believe out of all these cookie recipes I have lying around none of them call for delicious, salty boogers.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Any affordable house is snatched up by middle aged baby boomers to be fixed up as cheap as possible and resold at an insane price

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

it's not so much flippers as investors who buy in while prices are going up, rent the houses to poor people for a few years then cash out when the market peaks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Any affordable house is snatched up by middle aged baby boomers to be fixed up as cheap as possible and resold at an insane price

This is happening in my neighborhood and then a gang war broke out and no one will buy them. I think a bunch of investors have been tricked into thinking it was the next hot neighborhood, but it's still sketchy as gently caress and no one is going to pay 800 grand for a fixed up house here, which is what they are asking and failing at.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 25, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

anything that stops a marketing campaign is good

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Olds getting mad that new bag holders aren't coming to participate in the Ponzi scheme that is the American housing market

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

neonbregna posted:

Olds getting mad that new bag holders aren't coming to participate in the Ponzi scheme that is the American housing market

You know what's wrong with the housing market? loving poors that can't afford houses, that's what. Why don't you stop being poor and buy a house you lazy bums?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

how does this make sense, the reason they don't move out is that real estate is too expensive you idiots

COOLGUY TRUE
Jan 7, 2005

Too True! Cool, too.

lol can you imagine if we lived in such an unstable system that the luxury purchasing choices of a select demographic could actually "ruin" our distributive networks??

COOLGUY TRUE
Jan 7, 2005

Too True! Cool, too.

Phlegmish posted:

how does this make sense, the reason they don't move out is that real estate is too expensive you idiots

I just found the article http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/yourmoney/ct-marksjarvis-0802-biz-20150731-column.html

the argument is that all millenials are supposed to get their own TV subscriptions and couches and they're not and its not fair the the couchman or the tv man

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Okay it's obviously clickbait but still

housing prices in belgium have not stopped increasing at any point since 2008, for many young peope banks simply will not let them take out that kind of mortgage. i imagine it's the same in much of the US. it's not that they prefer the comfort of their parental home, it's just that many plain can't afford to move out idiots

inokichi
Nov 3, 2005

It's the same in the U.K dude, especially in London. They even changed the rules about offering mortgages so that it's harder to get one. They will overestimate your expenses and understate your earnings.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

has any article ever written on the internet not been clickbait?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I was doing a course this year with a bunch of people from 20-40ish and the vast majority of them were renting, myself included. What made me really sad was a lot of these adults couldn't have pets because the landlords wouldn't allow it (lucky for me my landlords at the time did). That's pretty sad, being a grown-up and not being allowed a cat or dog if you wanted one. Not to mention not being able to put up shelves or paint the walls any shade other than magnolia. gently caress magnolia. No wonder so Millennials are stunted.

We bought our first place this year after a death in the family and enough inheritance for me to pool a deposit between us. We couldn't have afforded it any other way, despite not leading particularly extravagant lives and earning a fair bit higher than the national average.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 25, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rondette posted:

I was doing a course this year with a bunch of people from 20-40ish and the vast majority of them were renting, myself included. What made me really sad was a lot of these adults couldn't have pets because the landlords wouldn't allow it (lucky for me my landlords at the time did). That's pretty sad, being a grown-up and not being allowed a cat or dog if you wanted one. Not to mention not being able to put up shelves or paint the walls any shade other than magnolia. gently caress magnolia. No wonder so Millennials are stunted.

We bought our first place this year after a death in the family and enough inheritance for me to pool a deposit between us. We couldn't have afforded it any other way, despite not leading particularly extravagant lives and earning a fair bit higher than the national average.

It really is what is expected anymore, to rent for a bit then save up money for a house if you can. Kind of hard saving up when you are dumping it into rent, though.

Going in on a house without a 20% deposit just kicks you more and more in the balls as time goes on, but what kind of 25 year old had 20-30k sitting around? If you work a good job and your parents pay literally all of your bills then you can save up pretty handily, but it is still tough. The only people I know that were able to buy a house without an extended rental period/living in longer were those that inherited them or their parents "helped" them because they were loaded

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Visually and metaphorically, London is the arsehole of the UK.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I hope I am reading that map wrong, is it saying that Londoners pay 85% of their salary straight into mortgage? :stare:

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I'm the short guy living with my parents writing long winded articles bemoaning cultural appropriation.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This thread is topical

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/the-growing-pains-of-clevelands-newest-westside-neighborhood/Content?oid=4670345&showFullText=true

"The power couple"

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 25, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I hope I am reading that map wrong, is it saying that Londoners pay 85% of their salary straight into mortgage? :stare:

It's from this article-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23273448

quote:

Cost to income ratio for a low income couple with one child

This map is for a couple with one child at the 35th percentile of the household net income distribution, living in a two-bedroom property at the cheaper end of the local housing market.
Source: Resolution Foundation analysis of Hometrack data 2012/13

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

It's kind of funny how a random FB friend posting a picture of an amusing can of wine has got me reading up about the zoning of residential area and issues of gentrfication in Cleveland, on the other side of the world from where I live. God Bless SA.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

neonbregna posted:

The alternative is paying rent into zero equity, and having to pay rent forever.

amusinginquiry posted:

Certainly not if it's about Youngs or Gizmos

Rondette posted:

gently caress magnolia.

:agreed: These loving apartment complexes around me boggle my mind, all they have to do to jump the rent $200 is not have a kitchen that looks like it belongs in a Soviet Union living cube, even though that should be the minimum loving standard for the already costly location. A paint job costs next to nothing if it means getting new tenants a month earlier because they're not compelled to vomit at the concept of living there.

Anyway, keepin' it .jpg (in this case, .png)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
http://i.imgur.com/EVsomAF.gifv

Pro Tip: Break in your boots before going on your Cranberry Frolic so you don't accidentally kick yourself into a pool of fruit. Also: Make sure you secure your glasses, Poindexter.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Pro Tip: Break in your boots before going on your Cranberry Frolic so you don't accidentally kick yourself into a pool of fruit. Also: Make sure you secure your glasses, Poindexter.

Ha ha that guy looks like James O'Keefe

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

amusinginquiry posted:

the answer will surprise you!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Is there a name for the little "song" that always plays during twee commercials targeted at millenials? I'm on my phone and can't really think of an example but it's just just like 4 notes played on an undeterminable string instrument repeating at a high and low octave, sounds really childish or something. I guess it's supposed to make brands seem non-threatening and friendly to adult babies. I bet there's a name for it in marketing circles

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

This is cool

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...0b1f_story.html

" It would be easy to call protesting college students crybabies and brats for pitching hissy fits over hurt feelings, but this likely would lead to such torrents of tearful tribulation that the nation’s university system would have to shut down for a prolonged period of grief counseling.

Besides, it would be insensitive. "

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think if the first school had done a round of mass expulsions, it would have straightened a lot of these children out. The guy in charge was willing to resign, anyway... he should have at least tried to fix these kids before he quit.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I heard an old talk about how their neighborhood got gentrified and their property taxes were now higher than what they had originally paid for their house. You can sell a house you own, but you're still going to be paying rent on it to the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

http://i.imgur.com/EVsomAF.gifv

I'm trying to think what this guy's goal was here

All I'm coming up with is a dopey voice saying MMM CRANBERRY and falling in like a two year old

• Locked thread