Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pivo posted:

Not blaming the phone at all. poo poo happens. I ride public transit every day and you should see some people's phones! It's like it was in an episode of "Will it blend?" that was cut short.

I went to a soccer game a few weeks ago, and the kid next to mes iPhone looked like Arnies face near the end of T2. You could see far too much of the insides for my liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FYI: Amazon has their 6-foot Lightning cables on sale for $8 if you want some spare cables.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Endless Mike posted:

FYI: Amazon has their 6-foot Lightning cables on sale for $8 if you want some spare cables.

I'd pay a dollar more for the newer style with squared off edges on the Lightning end (similar to an official cable)

The older ones work, but the connector housings are a little loose and too bulky for some cases.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Speaking of scratch-talk though, I have a watch with a sapphire crystal face and I wear it pretty much 100% of the time, and have done so for the past ... well, over a decade. The titanium body and band has scratches and blemishes, but the face is (heh) crystal clear. Didn't Apple have plans to spin up large-scale sapphire crystal production and people were saying it was going to go on their next gen phones and the (at the time) rumoured watches? What ever became of that? I am incredibly impressed by how scratch-free my watch face is after a decade of abuse, I wonder why we can't have that on phones.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Supplier wasn't fast enough so Apple moved on

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple dumped a ton of money into GT Advanced to make screens for the phones. GTA's process wasn't anywhere near good enough for that level of production, even after buying tons of new furnaces. They failed to meet the terms of the contract, and became indebted to Apple and have gone bankrupt as a result.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I've unsubbed from Apple Music and resubbed to spotify. Have any goons completely switched to spotify? I'm tempted to just not sync my bought music and download it on spotify so it's all in one place.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I used Apple Music for the 3 months + 1 one month after it then switched back to Spotify. Happy so far.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Same. Liking Spotify a lot

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Yeah the whole system works far better for playlists. I'm less keen on the artists section and having 2 music apps but it's worth it for weekly discovery alone.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Just got a 6s (not Plus) this weekend and switched to Sprint. The battery in seems way worse than my 5s. It's only noon and I'm down to 70% and I've barely used it. My 5s would still be in the 90s at this time.
Could it be that I have a cruddy Sprint connection now instead of Verizon, so it has to crank up the power on the antenna? Or is the 6s battery that bad?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Monoprice has Lightning cables for $8 every day. :shrug:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Just got a 6s (not Plus) this weekend and switched to Sprint. The battery in seems way worse than my 5s. It's only noon and I'm down to 70% and I've barely used it. My 5s would still be in the 90s at this time.
Could it be that I have a cruddy Sprint connection now instead of Verizon, so it has to crank up the power on the antenna? Or is the 6s battery that bad?

Battery life is usually bad the first few days on new iPhones as iOS is doing a lot of initial processing in the background. If it's still bad after a week (and maybe a reboot or two after you've reinstalled apps, updated contacts, etc.) check the battery usage under settings and see if anything stands out.

e: this was my experience with both a 6 and a 6s+ on T-Mobile.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You should still run far the gently caress away from Sprint though.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Croc Monster posted:

Battery life is usually bad the first few days on new iPhones as iOS is doing a lot of initial processing in the background. If it's still bad after a week (and maybe a reboot or two after you've reinstalled apps, updated contacts, etc.) check the battery usage under settings and see if anything stands out.

e: this was my experience with both a 6 and a 6s+ on T-Mobile.

That's what I thought too but i figured it would have been done by now. I'll wait and see if it gets any better. Although it's been worse today than it was yesterday

Mattavist posted:

You should still run far the gently caress away from Sprint though.

I got in on the half price promo for switching from Verizon so you can't beat the price. But yeah their lte kind of sucks :bang:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

By kinda I mean it absolutely sucks. I've got lte turned off right now because 3G works so much better

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
FYI Spotify is awful if you have a 16gb device, it caches literally everything you stream with no way to clear the cache.

Their argument is "well, iOS will clear it eventually! :downs:" but in my experience it'll just fill your storage with gigs of cache until your phone crashes from having no space. Only solution is to delete the app and reinstall. It's part of why I've stuck with AM because despite its jank, it's a lot better at not cannibalizing every byte of space on your phone for cache.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I found AM WAYYY worse for caching

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, my wife was having space issues on her phone already and every time she deleted more photos to make room for something, apple music would gleefully gobble up the new space and there wasn't jack poo poo you could do about it. I mean, you can't even delete the app if you decided it was necessary.

It's not really a cache anymore if it can't be purged as needed.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Well, when 9.0 launched I noticed that as well, but since 9.1 then I haven't really noticed it as badly? It seems to at least clear its cache once in a while. I stream a lot of stuff and I haven't noticed any space issues anywhere near what I had with Spotify.

The sad thing is Rdio was the only app that didn't have a huge cache and now it's closing :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's okay, Pandora will incorporate Rdio into their product that gets completely ignored by the entire world and as near as I can tell no one actually uses.

But somehow they still have a ton of money to acquire other businesses.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Pandora was the hotness back in like 2008/2009 when people still called things the hotness.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pandora is still

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm going to say that the issue is Sprint.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Pandora was the hotness back in like 2008/2009 when people still called things the hotness.

More like 2003. Pandora was a great pioneer back then.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

robodex posted:

FYI Spotify is awful if you have a 16gb device, it caches literally everything you stream with no way to clear the cache.

Their argument is "well, iOS will clear it eventually! :downs:" but in my experience it'll just fill your storage with gigs of cache until your phone crashes from having no space.

To be fair this is exactly how iCloud Photo Library works too except, again, there's no way to delete the app and purge the cache. One of my less techy friends upgraded her iCloud storage expecting it to free up space on her phone, but it won't purge the full size images because she still has 2gb free.

The whole "cache until the device needs space" is a good idea in principal but it never works well for data-intensive apps in practice. There really needs to be a "purge now" button, be it per-app or system-wide.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How is the Amazon prime music app? Anyone tried it? I'm expecting it to suck but I'm not going to subscribe to Apple Music or Spotify so if it's half decent then I guess it'll do.

E- just started checking it out and it seems very hit or miss.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 25, 2015

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Skeezy posted:

I'm going to say that the issue is Sprint.

current battery status: was down to 22% by the time I left work.

maybe i just don't have :airquote:The Correct Chip:airquote:

whats the consensus on that anyway? TSMC or Samsung? I'm not going to bother checking regardless

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I might want to get one of those screen protectors that has a privacy thing where you can only view it clearly from straight on.

That way I can watch GamecenterCX at the gym without looking dorkier.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

How is the Amazon prime music app? Anyone tried it? I'm expecting it to suck but I'm not going to subscribe to Apple Music or Spotify so if it's half decent then I guess it'll do.

E- just started checking it out and it seems very hit or miss.

Well its free so you really get what you pay for. Downloading playlists is pretty easy with it though so I'll use it every once and a while.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having issues where the screen isn't picking up swipes or touches after prolonged use?

I'm not sure what's causing it but a soft or hard restart will restore functionality. My wife is reporting the same thing happening with her iPad mini 1. Are we crazy?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Snowy posted:

How is the Amazon prime music app? Anyone tried it? I'm expecting it to suck
If you have a lot of multi-artist compilations, you'll hate it.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Ludwig van Halen posted:

current battery status: was down to 22% by the time I left work.

maybe i just don't have :airquote:The Correct Chip:airquote:

whats the consensus on that anyway? TSMC or Samsung? I'm not going to bother checking regardless

TSMC is the :airquote:better:airquote: chip. You can use an app called "Lirum Info Lite" to check which you have.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

xzzy posted:

Yep, my wife was having space issues on her phone already and every time she deleted more photos to make room for something, apple music would gleefully gobble up the new space and there wasn't jack poo poo you could do about it. I mean, you can't even delete the app if you decided it was necessary.

It's not really a cache anymore if it can't be purged as needed.

But but but Eddy Cue told me 16GB wasn't a crime against humanity because you can just stream everything!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Croc Monster posted:

TSMC is the :airquote:better:airquote: chip. You can use an app called "Lirum Info Lite" to check which you have.

Oh no my chip is a Samsung. This phone is garbage now :qq:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Yeah, you're just going to have to throw it out!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
You'll never notice a difference from either chip.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

xzzy posted:

That's okay, Pandora will incorporate Rdio into their product that gets completely ignored by the entire world and as near as I can tell no one actually uses.

But somehow they still have a ton of money to acquire other businesses.

Pandora is the dominant streaming service in Australia from memory. It's certainly the main one that cars have a built in app for. It's ability to accurately work out exactly what I like despite me having a fairly eclectic taste and just streaming good songs without me needing to do anything is certainly very good, but it has a very limited library of songs - about 1.5 million, (compared to >30 million for the other services) and after using it for a few months I became dissatisfied with the variety.

I use Apple Music now and I'm very happy with it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

All the iTunes to Spotify playlist services seem to have broken since a recent spotify update :negative:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You'll never notice a difference from either chip.

Correct. "chipgate" is bunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Croc Monster posted:

Correct. "chipgate" is bunk.

Sounds like something a Samsung chip haver would say