Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's gotta be a nervous tic of some kind. It annoys me too but I can only imagine how dorky I'll sound if I ever get on.

Speaking of which, my third round of eligibility expired last weekend :smith:

Another test in January though :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why do they let people like that on the show.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I've never wished for two lame contestants to win harder

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I don't want to post anything mean about Laura because apparently weird Jeopardy fans are harassing her on Twitter :(

Also:

:siren: Registration for the January test is now open! :siren:

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestant/test-schedule

zakharov fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 24, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zakharov posted:

I don't want to post anything mean about Laura because apparently weird Jeopardy fans are harassing her on Twitter :(

Also:

:siren: Registration for the January test is now open! :siren:

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestant/test-schedule

Stupid bloody zip code. Doesn't look like it is accepting Canadians.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

:siren::toot::siren:
OUR NATIONAL NIGHTMARE IS OVER!!!
:siren::toot::siren:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm legit asking why do they let insanely annoying people through to be on national television. it's always a william hung thing even if they're good at the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I thought maybe she had a speech impediment, but then she started talking about herself with Alex and the thing disappeared. WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Could just be a nervous thing idk

I like the new champ! And I said Ben Affleck :(

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

zakharov posted:

And I said Ben Affleck :(

Same here. I figured it was either Ben Affleck or Clint Eastwood. When Alex said there were three names, I knew I was a moron.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
For some reason Lauras entire run got marked as repeats on my dvr so I didn't even get to see what her annoying voice was like :mad:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

For some reason Lauras entire run got marked as repeats on my dvr so I didn't even get to see what her annoying voice was like :mad:
She would stretch out and rise on the last syllable of the last word every time she requested or responded to a clue, but not in the interviews. It was exactly the kind of tic Kristen Wiig would come up with for some terrible SNL character.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

jojoinnit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQWDwTww2I

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

Could just be a nervous thing idk

And I said Ben Affleck :(

On the first point, I agree, but it was still annoying as gently caress. On the second, I said the same thing.

Shame about missing out on your latest attempt to be on the show though. You'll make it there eventually!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

someday the CIA will use this on endless loop to torture prisoners

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just heard Bob & Tom (morning radio show) playing clips of Laura. Seems like she's getting pretty wide attention.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I kind of feel bad for her if this isn't a deliberate affect

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Haha wow that's much worse than I imagined. Thanks buddy.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

Just heard Bob & Tom (morning radio show) playing clips of Laura. Seems like she's getting pretty wide attention.

They talked about it on the loving Today show.

Like, yeah I was annoyed by it too, but the amount of attention this is getting seems unnecessarily cruel for someone who wasn't even on the show for that long.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

I kind of feel bad for her if this isn't a deliberate affect

you can change how you talk.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's probably hard to reinvent your manner of speech when there's a camera in your face and you're competing for thousands of dollars.

It was kind of annoying but the weird Internet backlash against her is terrible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no i mean that tic has probably existed for years and she could've changed it before trying out for a national television show. my old man grew up in southie and had a horrible boston accent and got rid of it in college because he thought he sounded stupid and it would hurt his professional life. i got no sympathy for annoying talkers.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah but I mean, girl just wanted to go on Jeopardy. judging by how jeopardy contestants ITT talk about it, it was probably a dream of hers for quite a while, and now half the country (myself included) is being real dicks about it

idk. the world is cruel and she is annoying, I guess I don't care that much

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Maybe she's done just fine in her life and she doesn't feel the need to change for jerks on the internet. :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

They talked about it on the loving Today show.

Like, yeah I was annoyed by it too, but the amount of attention this is getting seems unnecessarily cruel for someone who wasn't even on the show for that long.

I made fun of her in this thread because it's minor exposure. Widespread public shaming, though, is bullshit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shaming is how society functions and is a powerful tool.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

How dare she talk different

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

You might be a jerk, my friend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterZimbu posted:

How dare she talk different

i don't think the issue is she talks "different"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Spatacus is a triple stumper? Really?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i love that fikkle fame shows you the finals from two years prior...how the gently caress does only one person get this:

Over 8,000 people have been saved from harm by this program authorized in a 1970 law, but we’re not allowed to name any.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm not sure if a silly voice inflection really disrupts society.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What's the longest run of different daily winners?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

How were you supposed to figure out that final apart from guessing and going with the 1/7 chance?

Also, Area 52? Really?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

zakharov posted:

How were you supposed to figure out that final apart from guessing and going with the 1/7 chance?
I got it just fine. Friday was named for the Germanic goddess Frigga (or Norse Freyja, depending who you ask), and is the only day of the week named for a goddess, so I figured that might hold true for the Greek name for it too.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I was listening to an interview with Ann Coulter yesterday and she has a really similar vocal affectation I noticed.

Which makes a lot of sense why it's so grating.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

zakharov posted:

Also, Area 52? Really?

Helps if you know a Romance language.

Friday in French is vendredi and in Spanish it's viernes, which sound like they're probably derived from Venus which is the Roman counterpart of Aphrodite.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Rob is sneaky good, I didn't realize he was piling up the cash until the very end. I'm a New Yorker and slow talkers drive me nuts

Marie was just nervous as hell, I think.

Also I love how sad Alex gets when nobody knows anything about Canada. "It's Ottawa, you morons."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

"Who is Faulkner?"

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

"Who is Faulkner?"

:psyduck:

She was doing so well, too