Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ShineDog posted:

It's a small amount of magnetic aim. It's noticable but it's not massive.

You have to NOT hold down for auto-fire, either. Hipfire while doing single shots anywhere near a person and you automatically hit them. Every time you pull it'll keep doing it.

It is massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I noticed this is battlefield 4 too, but I can NOT break the habit of looking down the sights before I fire every time. Even in a game like this where it appears to be demonstrably worse in almost every way.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

lol he sounds like a giant man baby. What band is he in?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I noticed this is battlefield 4 too, but I can NOT break the habit of looking down the sights before I fire every time. Even in a game like this where it appears to be demonstrably worse in almost every way.

Yeah those habits serve you well in other games and are hard to break. Just force yourself to never ADS. Turn it off for a round or two if necessary. Aiming down sights is a waste of time for anything but long range in Battlefront. You are definitely losing engagements you would have won if you're not hipfiring.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
I don't think I've laughed so hard in a game, rammed Bobbas ship as it was coming out of spawn twice with the falcon for a cool 12600 points from just that. :getin:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Successfully swapped my PS4 copy for a PC copy at Best Buy, but the game box doesn't include a disc, just a download code (why even make a loving box at all then?), so I have to wait an hour for the game to download before I can play it. Oh well. I'm sure the controls will be tighter, even if it was specifically designed to be played with a controller. It is a first person shooter after all.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
Does Scout trait block Scan Pulse? I pretty much spam scan pulse with the 99 charge glitch and I know many others are as well.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Vildiil posted:

the 99 charge glitch

Go on...

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Summit posted:

Go on...

Buy 99 charges and you have infinite charges on that star card, they just keep resetting back to 99 on death.

Neila Nuruodo
Jul 17, 2015
So... as a staunch Imperialist I was rather frustrated with BFII, which forced the player (in the story missions, at least) to play as a Rebel. Tell me, can I play as an Imperial throughout, or will I be forced to the "terrorist" side?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Is that why some dudes are spamming the poo poo out of the PSG? It's kind of ruining Drop Pod for me.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

The Royal Scrub posted:

Is that why some dudes are spamming the poo poo out of the PSG? It's kind of ruining Drop Pod for me.

Personal Shield? If so then yes.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Vildiil posted:

Buy 99 charges and you have infinite charges on that star card, they just keep resetting back to 99 on death.

This is unsettling.

Neila Nuruodo posted:

So... as a staunch Imperialist I was rather frustrated with BFII, which forced the player (in the story missions, at least) to play as a Rebel. Tell me, can I play as an Imperial throughout, or will I be forced to the "terrorist" side?

You have to rotate each match.

Full Metal Jackass fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 26, 2015

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Full Metal Jackass posted:

This is unsettling.

A lot of poo poo in this game is, a balance patch and bug fixes are needed badly.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Vildiil posted:

A lot of poo poo in this game is, a balance patch and bug fixes are needed badly.

Agreed. I really really really hope they patch in scrambling the teams after each match as well.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well when something is balanced around the fact that you're not really expected to use it constantly, it sure is annoying. If I used explosive shot every single fight I probably would almost never die.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The beta would erase purchased charges if you picked one up in the field so maybe they are giving out recompense

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhhhh alright, gently caress console Battlefront. PC Battlefront is definitely the way to go. I'm getting constant 60+ FPS @ 1920x1200 with all Ultra settings and supersampling at 130%, I can make my FOV much wider and my accuracy is vastly improved over the PS4 version. So glad I switched systems. Now I feel like I can enjoy this game a lot more.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Uhhhhh alright, gently caress console Battlefront. PC Battlefront is definitely the way to go. I'm getting constant 60+ FPS @ 1920x1200 with all Ultra settings and supersampling at 130%, I can make my FOV much wider and my accuracy is vastly improved over the PS4 version. So glad I switched systems. Now I feel like I can enjoy this game a lot more.

Now you get to see what every sniveling turd thinks when you shoot him too! (I hate the community for this game on pc)

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Agreed. I really really really hope they patch in scrambling the teams after each match as well.

yes please.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vildiil posted:

Now you get to see what every sniveling turd thinks when you shoot him too! (I hate the community for this game on pc)

TBH the one thing I miss with console gaming is text chat. If I can't hear the rage of the people I kill then it just loses so much impact.

Yes xXxweedlordbonerhitlerxXx, I may be a human being. But you are dead

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hahahaha

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I left that poo poo behind when I stopped playing counterstrike like seventeen years ago. I guess some people enjoy it but now I want to hear people say nice, supportive things in online games or nothing at all.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

DreamShipWrecked posted:

TBH the one thing I miss with console gaming is text chat. If I can't hear the rage of the people I kill then it just loses so much impact.

from what I've seen chat is composed of chill people or peopel calling people faggots and cheaters.

A lot lf laughing on both sides when we are right next to each other and cant hit each other for poo poo then both kill each other at the same time.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Microwaves Mom posted:

from what I've seen chat is composed of chill people or peopel calling people faggots and cheaters.

A lot lf laughing on both sides when we are right next to each other and cant hit each other for poo poo then both kill each other at the same time.

It's amazing how many times I've killed someone at the same time as they kill me, both by blaster fire.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

It's amazing how many times I've killed someone at the same time as they kill me, both by blaster fire.

my favorite thing is when i die just as I hit jetpack and then fly ragdoll around as a corpse that sometimes explodes when it hits the ground.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Microwaves Mom posted:

my favorite thing is when i die just as I hit jetpack and then fly ragdoll around as a corpse that sometimes explodes when it hits the ground.

It really does make up for having to wait on the cooldown your next spawn.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I've largely seen text chat comprised of bitching about balance, bitching about DICE, semi-ironic SW quotes, and one person that appreciated my Dash3DRender handle and avatar, so it's been a little less than half-bad I guess. I've even seen some non-smug good-games, from the losing team no less.

VOIP would still be a nightmare, though, and I realize this is still largely down to the luck of the draw. Doubly so because this is a AAA first-party EA shooter released on PC in 2015, which offers quite a bit of potential for insufferable bullshit.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I've actually had people use Partner chat more than I expected, like I was paired with another guy and both of us were in X-wings in Hoth and he'd take the time to say 'Ties respawned and coming in behind you' and other such things in partner-only chat, helped a lot.

"All" chat I pretty much ignore as its either complaints of balance, dumb quips of 'GET REKT', or just 'loving DL44'.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Vildiil posted:

Hellooo Scan Pulse.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I got this game today on the Xbone (it's not my xbone) and I bet it's an okay game but every game I join has really poo poo connection and I can't choose different servers, so I guess the game is pretty meh.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I feel a little upset that the DL-44 is the best gun simply because its a pistol, but Im still using it. :mrgw:

Recoome posted:

I got this game today on the Xbone (it's not my xbone) and I bet it's an okay game but every game I join has really poo poo connection and I can't choose different servers, so I guess the game is pretty meh.

That sucks hope they fix the servers, you'd think they'd have dedicated ones for Xbox as you pay extra to play on it. Dumb question, but you're not wi-fing it are you?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
No I'm in Australia, I know thats it's the rear end end of the world but I would've expected servers which aren't "unplayable".

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The dl44 is a good pistol, but the 5-burst pistol can 1-shot people. If you use explosive shot you can take out groups of people super fast too. I'm really pretty surprised that I see no one complaining about that one instead.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

ZypherIM posted:

The dl44 is a good pistol, but the 5-burst pistol can 1-shot people. If you use explosive shot you can take out groups of people super fast too. I'm really pretty surprised that I see no one complaining about that one instead.

people are stupid.

I love the DL-44 though I tear through heroes with it just took out a full health han solo using it a refresh card and 2 uses of barrage before he knew what hit him.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Can someone explain to me how to use the snow speeder, other than tow cabling the walkers on WA. Just seems like it turns like a dog, lasers don't do any damage to AT-ST s, and overheat very fast.

I can do alright in anything else but the speeders just seem so useless. The radar jammer is pretty cool though I guess.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Soarer posted:

Can someone explain to me how to use the snow speeder, other than tow cabling the walkers on WA. Just seems like it turns like a dog, lasers don't do any damage to AT-ST s, and overheat very fast.

I can do alright in anything else but the speeders just seem so useless. The radar jammer is pretty cool though I guess.

You pretty much have to use the evasive maneuvers to fly it. It took me forever to even try using them because I just assumed that they would make me flip face-first into the ground but they work completely differently than on actual fighters (left/right banks really hard to that side, center makes you rise up vertically really fast and then back down so that you don't slam head-on into that AT-ST that you're probably flying straight towards)

They also do a lot of damage to AT-STs but the aiming is really weird, you more or less have to aim above the heads. Shooting when the reticule is yellow is way more important than shooting whenever it looks like you're aiming properly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It seems like the biggest skill that most people need to learn when playing Battlefront is how to slowly but consistently push into a point.

The thing about this game is that it doesn't matter how MLG PRO you are, you simply cannot put out the dps needed to take on several people at one time in an open firefight. So you have to be cautious but firm in your advance, and make sure you work on just a couple people at a time, max.

You have to be aggressive, but cautiously so.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 26, 2015

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
If you're wanting this on the computer, and have some old Vista bucket like I do, just a heads-up since it doesn't loving say this anywhere on Origin:

The game requires Windows 7+ (and GameSpot somehow still exists).

I'm not sure what Win7 specific thing it has, but it won't even try to install for me. At least they were quick on the refund (until I get a new computer anyway, :smithicide:).

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Soarer posted:

I only use snow speeders on Tatooine Walker Assault. They're deathtraps on Hoth and Sullust.

Basically, as long as there are no enemy air assets, and if the enemy AT-ST is ignoring you, you should be able to do a pretty good job of strafing infantry. The blasters on the snow speeder have really good splash damage against infantry and are especially brutal in some of the tighter areas of Tat. At the lowest speed, you can usually kill infantry with two indirect hits.

Both of your abilities are defensive. Only use the anti-lock after a missile has already been fired. If you're taking fire, fly low and fast to break line of sight with whatever was shooting at you. The speed boost is pretty good for this.

Never head on AT-STs. You'll either eat a missile to the face or get shredded by its blasters before you can do any damage. Hit it from behind and speed away before it turns, or wait for it to engage other targets. On Hoth and Sullust, you're going up against TIE interceptors, which will out maneuver you. Snow speeder blasters are also ineffective against air targets, so don't bother engaging.

• Locked thread