Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TenementFunster posted:

I regret to inform you but that is embarrassing nerd poo poo

I am not much for the NASA space stuff with it but the engineering of how he handled the actual desk construction is fantastic. There is a lot to it that I want to use for my own desk setup. Including the pipe for the monitor mount is a great idea that I hadn't had until I saw this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Right, so, how's this looking?

The main desk is 3 metres wide by 75cm in depth, it's 50cm from it to the first shelf, and then 40cm between the other two.

The monitor is about the right size, it fits a bit too snugly under the first shelf so I was thinking about making the shelf shorter, from the right wall to the 3rd black guide you see there (those would be the rails). Does that make sense?

/edit: like so

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 25, 2015

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I like the first one because it looks cleaner but the second will give you more flexibility should you want a bigger monitor or a second one.

I say go with #2.

Edit: that's gonna be a really awesome workspace, especially with the extra space to the right. Shame you can't rig it to rise a few inches so you can work while standing if you ever felt like it.

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 25, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

That poo poo was awesome.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Butt Savage posted:

I say go with #2.

Seconding this. Room for one giant monitor, or two normal sized. Also wall mount them.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

TenementFunster posted:

Nah. That's not a setup girls would immediately retch at the site of. It's actually pretty sharp looking.
I'd personally go without the space shuttle bit but even with that it's not terrible.

edit: ok so the keyboard is a bit leet-gamery but everything else is perfectly fine.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 25, 2015

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GreatGreen posted:

Nah. That's not a setup girls would immediately retch at the site of. It's actually pretty sharp looking.
I'd personally go without the space shuttle bit but even with that it's not terrible.

edit: ok so the keyboard is a bit leet-gamery but everything else is perfectly fine.

That keyboard is just a backlit mechanical keyboard. Nothing really leet-gamery about it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That keyboard is just a backlit mechanical keyboard. Nothing really leet-gamery about it.

Dat spacebar.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Butt Savage posted:

I like the first one because it looks cleaner but the second will give you more flexibility should you want a bigger monitor or a second one.

I say go with #2.

Edit: that's gonna be a really awesome workspace, especially with the extra space to the right. Shame you can't rig it to rise a few inches so you can work while standing if you ever felt like it.

Moey posted:

Seconding this. Room for one giant monitor, or two normal sized. Also wall mount them.

I used to have 2 monitors and one kicked the bucket, I've been trying to replace it for a while now but the options here are rather lovely (and expensive) so for now I'm using a 32" lcd tv to watch Let's Plays while I work. :v:

I moved the chair a bit to the right and set up an imaginary second monitor to the left of the main; I usually have them on the right but I'm afraid if I put the main one on the leftmost "spot" I'm going to keep hitting the guitars/wall with the chair, so I think this works best. The wall mount is not a bad idea, I'll have to see about what mounts are available here.

I also planned a couple of shelves under the desk to put my case and cables/modem/router. Those are 20cm shelves so they are not going to be visible or be within leg reach.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why don't you just hang the guitars on a wall you're not directly next to?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

KillHour posted:

Why don't you just hang the guitars on a wall you're not directly next to?

There are no more walls in the room. :( One's a closet, the other is a window.
/edit: should be more than fine with the main monitor being within the second rail bracket though, right now I have my desk set up in roughly the same position and haven't even once bumped into the piano (which is under where the guitars would be).

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 25, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Edmond Dantes posted:

There are no more walls in the room. :( One's a closet, the other is a window.

What about centering where you sit, so you don't roll into the guitars? Or moving them up/staggering them?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Or sitting in the other corner. I feel like you're going to want room for a third monitor eventually.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Moey posted:

What about centering where you sit, so you don't roll into the guitars? Or moving them up/staggering them?

If I center the pc I miss out on having the rest of the desk to do other stuff, it'd be split into two instead of a single surface.
The position of the chair and main monitor in those mockups is the same I have right now, so I'll be fine, guitar-bashing wise.

KillHour posted:

Or sitting in the other corner. I feel like you're going to want room for a third monitor eventually.

The other corner is right next to the window, so it's glare county. I can give it a try though, since I can rearrange the shelves at will once I get the railings in place. I still have only one monitor, if I ever get a second one (three is out of the question) I can just put it to the left.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :D

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there such a thing as a "good keyboard tray"? Desk space is a premium and I'd like to be able to occasionally eat at my computer without turning my keyboard into a shitshow.

Has to be wide enough for a 104-key keyboard and a regular sized corded mouse. I don't game and I use the mouse sparingly.

EDIT: None of that is meant to imply scatological lasagna is involved at any point.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah, they're $300 and from a company called Humanscale. I love mine.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Although you can buy a great keyboard tray from any of the major ergonomic vendors, it sounds like you really don't need that for your use case. I'd suggest saving on some money and buying slide rails meant for tool shelving and a shelf from Ikea and mating the two.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh yeah and it's a standing desk I rigged up myself.

Another reason for the tray is because it's about 4" too high and MY WIFE gets annoyed by it.

E: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AEND2W/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g229_i2_sh

This one looks decent. I like that it doesn't have the weird outboard mouse circle.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 26, 2015

dema
Aug 13, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Senior programmers with 30" Cinema Displays running at 1280x720.
All these will be lost like a contact lens on a carpet floor.
Time to die...

This is beautiful.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GreatGreen posted:

Coredump posted:

That poo poo was awesome.

Djarum posted:

I am not much for the NASA space stuff with it but the engineering of how he handled the actual desk construction is fantastic. There is a lot to it that I want to use for my own desk setup. Including the pipe for the monitor mount is a great idea that I hadn't had until I saw this one.
behold! a collection of embarrassing nerds

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

TenementFunster posted:

behold! a collection of embarrassing nerds

caring about what people think is no way to go about life, friend :iamafag:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Butt Savage posted:

I say go with #2.

Thirded.

I think it looks perfectly fine with the gap and will give the display more visual room to breathe. If you end up feeling like the space is too empty you can always hang something like a picture or a little whiteboard/bulletin/paper organizer in there or put a tall object (a plant?) next to the display.

Alternatively, if you get a rail-based system (no reason why you shouldn't and a lot of reputable companies have such a product at various price points for exactly that job) you can always put a shelf in that spot in the future.

Edit: I missed some of the conversation. However, I still think his original second option is the most visually appealing. Centering the computer isn't horrible but I get the desire for uninterrupted tabletop. I second the call to raise or center (one over the other) the guitars so they're not getting bumped into.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 26, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
/edit:

Well, poo poo. The longest shelves I can get are 2.6m, not 3 like I need, so I may have to scratch everything and make alternating shelves.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks for the patience and the tips, guys. Much appreciated.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 26, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit:

Well, poo poo. The longest shelves I can get are 2.6m, not 3 like I need, so I may have to scratch everything and make alternating shelves.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks for the patience and the tips, guys. Much appreciated.

What's your budget?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What's your budget?

I'm not in the states (or any civilized country for that matter), so budget and item availability don't really apply here. :v:

The rail system is still a go though, so I just need to make something appealing with that length limitation which isn't THAT bad. I could just center the whole drat thing and leave 20cm between the desk/shelves and the walls, but I want to have the walls as support for books or magazines so they're not falling over all the bloody time.

I'll go back to the drawing board (and pinterest/compulsive googling) tomorrow, need to take care of some uni assignments before that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I dig, I dig. The reason I ask is because a lot of rail-based systems don't have long shelves made out of single boards, but rather a standard length (say, 24 inches) that can be cut or added onto to fit a given space.

So a 7 foot or whatever length shelf could be made out of 3 1/2 standard lengths.

If you have an IKEA in your area, it may be worth checking out. Their Elfa/Vitsoe/etc competitor is pretty decent.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Cable hell

Whaddya guys think?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

AEMINAL posted:

Cable hell

Whaddya guys think?

I'm posting from my jerker so this owns.

I really wish Ikea would bring that desk back without the supports that go up above the tabletop. I also wish it was about 2 feet wider. I saw some of the newer desks they have but honestly they are nowhere near as sturdy as the jerker.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

On Terra Firma posted:

I really wish Ikea would bring that desk back without the supports that go up above the tabletop. I also wish it was about 2 feet wider. I saw some of the newer desks they have but honestly they are nowhere near as sturdy as the jerker.

Haha hell yeah

I've moved like 4 times with this beast and dismantled it every time

Still as sturdy as ever

Go ikea

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I've actually wondered what this desk was called. My family bought it ~2002 when we moved for my dad's work. I literally never bought another desk until I got an electronic standing desk around 2 years ago. This is a loving phenomenal product, it is easily the most stable thing I've owned, and not to mention extremely customizable in height. I used it in standing position throughout all of college. Mine still is being used my dad in his study, spotless, nearly 15 years later. I had it in the stained finish.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

AEMINAL posted:

Cable hell

Whaddya guys think?

I like the desk. Is there any windows in your room? Seems so dark

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Rabid Snake posted:

I like the desk. Is there any windows in your room? Seems so dark

Behind me. Big ones!! It's swedish winter so the sun sets 3 pm :'(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

On Terra Firma posted:

"We need a desk we can sell that's under $200."

Never lettin' go of my Jerker. Except maybe for one of those $400 garage workbenches I keep seeing.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I sold my jerker for a zillion bucks two years ago and bought an Envelop and I never looked back. Jerker is too big for any space that isn't a basement goon command center

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

Jerker is too big for any space that isn't a basement goon command center

Really? Weird. Well let me tell you about the Obutto R3volution...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TenementFunster posted:

I sold my jerker for a zillion bucks two years ago and bought an Envelop and I never looked back. Jerker is too big for any space that isn't a basement goon command center

Sorry 'bout your teeny tiny living space.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Lol the jerker isnt big at all, I can't even fit 3 monitors on mine...

Hehe, jerker.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

AEMINAL posted:

Lol the jerker isnt big at all, I can't even fit 3 monitors on mine...

Hehe, jerker.

That's the reason I went with pipe furniture: I needed more space for monitor mounts :v:

Really though, I always thought of the Jerker as a dorm desk, something for a single (maybe double, if they're small) monitor and a tower, and that was about it.

TenementFunster posted:

Different strokes, I suppose. If your office space is limited, you work with what you have and what your requirements are.

And the Jerker isn't too big for a primary desk, but I can definitely see where it would be an issue in smaller urban housing situations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Big desks are the best desks. This is a pretty old picture, but nothing has actually changed except for what's on the monitors (I haven't actually played any games in probably 2 years now).

Those are all 27.5" monitors, but all are 1080p. Someday maybe I'll upgrade the center at least to a 4k or whatever the new hotness is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

doctorfrog posted:

Sorry 'bout your teeny tiny living space.
i just don't see what else you need on a desk, then again I think I only need one 27" monitor. you can see my very own Goon Command Center in this thread, and i'm never pressed for space!