Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Bought this Transformer (King Atlas) for $3.50 at an op-shop. There were others there that I was interested in, but the lady who worked there suddenly decided that they would be "good for her grandson" and put them away. Not like I wanted to buy them or anything...:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

A 3d printer.

Time to make all sorts of stuff.

(No I'm not going to print a gun don't ask)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crain posted:

A 3d printer.

Time to make all sorts of stuff.

(No I'm not going to print a gun don't ask)

Why not?

Guns and dickbutts are what I'd print first thing.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

Why not?

You could save plastic and combine both of those.

nerox
May 20, 2001

PCOS Bill posted:

I had the smoker in my cart last week, it happened to go on sale today. Why not?

I got the 40 inch version of that last year for christmas, it died 5 days after the short warranty (30 or 60 days, i forgot) they give it and they would not fix it.

The Boston butt I cooked on it for 24 hours sure was good though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Electric smokers are lame and I would buy a small little dickbutt statue.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aristophanes posted:

Bought this Transformer (King Atlas) for $3.50 at an op-shop. There were others there that I was interested in, but the lady who worked there suddenly decided that they would be "good for her grandson" and put them away. Not like I wanted to buy them or anything...:downs:

The heck is an op-shop?

Cool toy, though.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The heck is an op-shop?

Cool toy, though.

Thrift store.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Started my Christmas shopping yesterday. I got some stuff for my Reddit Secret Santa. She got shafted last year so I'm going to make it up to her and give some cool things. I got her some US Ski team related things and something Game of Thrones related. I'm gonna check for something else that I have ski related and send it to her too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Mini cam review time!

1: Does not work on my cell.
2: Does not work on my cheapy kindle tablet.
3: Does work on my PC, and is fairly decent. It's got a somewhat good focusing ability (can keep my fingerprint in focus for about 3 inches). LEDs are bright as well.
4: Not a lot of play in the LED dimmer. It's pretty much ON or OFF and a smidge inbetween.
5: Only reason I am debating not keeping it is that it doesn't work on my cell or cheapy kindle. If it works on my big samsung tablet, I'll probably keep it.

Comes with a hook, spring thing, magnet, a mirror set at what looks like a 45 degree angle, a cd probably chock full of chinese malware and an instruction pamphlet.

It's basically a very small webcam on a very long cord with some lights and attachments. It's not like a medical grade endoscope or boroscope, but it is pretty cool.

Edit - Works on my samsung tablet. Used an app called CameraFi instead of the one from the mini cd cause I'm paranoid like that.

Like I said, quality isn't the greatest but for seeing stuff in kinda dark areas were you can't get eyes on, it'll work.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Nov 26, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

PCOS Bill posted:

Why not?

Because I don't want to blow my hand up? Although I have looked into what people have done with 3d printing. Rifles are still pretty much out, but it seems there's a lot of success with pistol caliber lowers. Particularly the VZ 61 skorpion.

Dickbutts on the other hand...

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

PCOS Bill posted:

I had the smoker in my cart last week, it happened to go on sale today. Why not?

I've got the same smoker combo for almost a year now. It has worked great the whole time. If you are new to smokers watch your time because this thing seems to cook faster than my old ones. Temps are solid, no idea why but I had to cut most times by about 20%.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Josh Lyman posted:

I didn't plan to make any major purchases this holiday season.

My plan went poorly.

Travelpro Flightcrew 4 22" Rollaboard

I don't have that specific model, but I do have a Travelpro 22" carryon - don't be surprised if you get asked to cram it in that carryon size box (which I'm pretty sure is under their actual size limits because mine never fits in it despite being exactly what they say on their website) before getting on and/or being asked to check it at the gate. I think with my model it claimed to be 22" but when you actually measured it it was 22.5"...it still fit perfectly fine in the overheads, but probably 50% of the time I travel with it I get bothered about it, although I still have yet been forced to check it. One gate attendant told me I'd have to and to give it to the flight attendant onboard, but she just waved me on. I wish they'd spend their time addressing the real problem - people who put their luggage in sideways for no good reason.

Anyway, quality-wise though you made a really good choice - I've had it for about 4 years and it still looks brand new (which may be not so impressive for a carryon, but still...)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

1: Does not work on my cell.
2: Does not work on my cheapy kindle tablet.

Just out of curiosity - how were you trying to access the camera from your mobile devices?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

I bought a used button box to add to my sim racing gear. After $2.88 in various mounting hardware and such, I got it attached to my cockpit and programmed tonight. Once I land on a more solid button map I'm going to print out labels instead of using post-it notes :v:

The button box is a definite improvement over blindly reaching for my keyboard macros. Once I memorize the button layout I won't have to take my eyes of the screens to use the controls. And it looks boss as hell :coal:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

Just out of curiosity - how were you trying to access the camera from your mobile devices?

It's got a micro USB hookup.

If your cell or tablet supports OTG, you can use it for stuff like mounting a usb drive, using a usb camera, etc.

My cell and cheapy tablet don't support OTG though, which kinda sucks.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's got a micro USB hookup.

If your cell or tablet supports OTG, you can use it for stuff like mounting a usb drive, using a usb camera, etc.

My cell and cheapy tablet don't support OTG though, which kinda sucks.

Hmm, so mine will most likely work on my S5 or my soon to be S6 Edge. But the important question, does it fit up your butt?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kosh Naranek posted:

But the important question, does it fit up your butt?

The camera, or his tablet?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

CaseFace McGee posted:

I bought a used button box to add to my sim racing gear. After $2.88 in various mounting hardware and such, I got it attached to my cockpit and programmed tonight. Once I land on a more solid button map I'm going to print out labels instead of using post-it notes :v:

Why go through the effort? Cheap labels are more authentic anyways:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Koruthaiolos posted:

Because the post-its keep falling off :negative:

And a printed label is easier to decipher at a glance than my chicken-scratch handwriting. That picture is basically what I'm expecting for the end result, very basic with high contrast.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't have that specific model, but I do have a Travelpro 22" carryon - don't be surprised if you get asked to cram it in that carryon size box (which I'm pretty sure is under their actual size limits because mine never fits in it despite being exactly what they say on their website) before getting on and/or being asked to check it at the gate. I think with my model it claimed to be 22" but when you actually measured it it was 22.5"...it still fit perfectly fine in the overheads, but probably 50% of the time I travel with it I get bothered about it, although I still have yet been forced to check it. One gate attendant told me I'd have to and to give it to the flight attendant onboard, but she just waved me on. I wish they'd spend their time addressing the real problem - people who put their luggage in sideways for no good reason.

Anyway, quality-wise though you made a really good choice - I've had it for about 4 years and it still looks brand new (which may be not so impressive for a carryon, but still...)

I went with a 21" for my last two carry-on bags because of that issue. I was tired of having to slam the door on my 22" one that I'd had forever and I took a job where I was travelling regularly so I went with a 21" Delsey that held up well until the zippers broke and the bottom handle that broke. I got a 21" Samsonite that I'm pretty pleased with to replace it.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

I braved the apocalypse at Walmart for a train table/blackboard for my son.
Next time, I'm dropping the wife off.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CaseFace McGee posted:

The button box is a definite improvement over blindly reaching for my keyboard macros. Once I memorize the button layout I won't have to take my eyes of the screens to use the controls. And it looks boss as hell :coal:

That is pimp as gently caress and I'm super jealous. Is it running through some sort of controller for USB or something?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That is pimp as gently caress and I'm super jealous. Is it running through some sort of controller for USB or something?

Completely plug-and-play, it's got a USB controller circuit board inside. The guy who made it, Derek Speare, has a whole range of them including boxes with rotary encoders, rotary switches, LEDs, and other peripherals like load cell amps.

Now I just need a shifter and a better wheel :v:

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Bought a Ryobi One+ oscillating multi-tool. Wanted a tool for general use, something between dremel and an angle grinder. Also I need to do maintenance on my car, so this should be handy for that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CaseFace McGee posted:

Completely plug-and-play, it's got a USB controller circuit board inside. The guy who made it, Derek Speare, has a whole range of them including boxes with rotary encoders, rotary switches, LEDs, and other peripherals like load cell amps.

Now I just need a shifter and a better wheel :v:

I thought Fanatec's were pretty up there as far as wheel quality. Unless you mean just replacing the wheel itself and keeping the motor?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Coredump posted:

I thought Fanatec's were pretty up there as far as wheel quality. Unless you mean just replacing the wheel itself and keeping the motor?

This is the lower level CSR wheel, which is better than Logitech wheels but probably not quite as good as the new Thrustmaster T300/TX and definitely below the Fanatec ClubSport wheel. It's good, but not as strong as I want. The ClubSport and direct drive wheels are capable of messing up your wrist at full power in a crash. I can still overpower this wheel at soft lock which isn't ideal, I'd rather have the extra headroom vs. maxing out its capabilities.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Cards Against Humanity had a Black Friday sale where you give them $5 and they give you absolutely nothing. So I bought that.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Xbox One Special Edition Forza Motorsport 6 Wireless Controller

All Xbone controllers are on sale right now if you need one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Xbox One Special Edition Forza Motorsport 6 Wireless Controller

All Xbone controllers are on sale right now if you need one.
Can I just buy this and use a normal micro-USB cable to connect it to my PC? http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Wireless-Controller/dp/B00YJJ0OQS/

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Koruthaiolos posted:

Well that's clearly Dymo tape

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Josh Lyman posted:

Can I just buy this and use a normal micro-USB cable to connect it to my PC? http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Wireless-Controller/dp/B00YJJ0OQS/

Yep. They also do a wireless adaptor for PC as well if you prefer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Yep. They also do a wireless adaptor for PC as well if you prefer.
Bought. I had a $10 Amazon credit anyway so $30 after all that is pretty drat good.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My smoker came today. The cover came today. The cold smoker attachment came today. The wood chips did not come today.

So I had to go shopping on Black Friday for wood chips and

9lb brisket, a pork shoulder I forgot the size of, and a roast I'm going to turn into jerky

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I bought American Sniper on blu ray, and Fallout 4. And a knife and some cinnamon toothpicks.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
This ridiculously over priced piece of leather:

With this smaller, matching, yet also over priced piece of leather:

Luckily on sale because the UK are trying to adopt yet another Americanism by having Black Friday.

Hopefully the other half will enjoy her xmas presents.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Josh Lyman posted:

No

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I bought American Sniper on blu ray

Why, though

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Wanamingo posted:

Why, though

Even ignoring what a piece of poo poo that guy was in real life it was still a garbage movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cosmos on Blu Ray for $14 on Amazon