Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

PFT is a narrator on this week's Drunk History. He is a sloppy drunk.

Thanks for the heads up, I think DH is a great premise but it gets a bit repetitive for me so I need a reason to watch. A drunken PFT is that reason.

Anyone who hasn't seen his HBO special where he tells stories and sinks about 5 pints of Guinness in a half hour needs to. It's old chubby faced PFT and it's amazing. It's on YouTube - "Driven to Drink".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
re: good Best Show clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5zn8lblVeI

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Jon Benjamin as Smirnoff Ice Regional Sales Directory is a world class clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvIErbJ8Jx4

e: Just tried to buy Spont tickets for during Sketchfest. Sold out in the first 10 minutes.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 22, 2015

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Have Sean and Hayes mentioned how you can use Harry's razors to kill a man before? Cause I didn't know that and Harry's should be really happy about that cause now I want that product more.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was wondering if Howl had maybe been doing ok sales wise or whatever despite how much of a mess they made of the launch/apps but then Sean + Hayes in today's HH 'It seems maybe Howl is an aborted project' 'If you go to Howl it might be a furniture store website at this point'

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Help Im Alive posted:

I was wondering if Howl had maybe been doing ok sales wise or whatever despite how much of a mess they made of the launch/apps but then Sean + Hayes in today's HH 'It seems maybe Howl is an aborted project' 'If you go to Howl it might be a furniture store website at this point'

Same here. I noticed that when Scott was advertising the new GE-sponsored Cracked podcast on yesterday's CBB he just mentioned subscribing on iTunes "Or your favorite podcast app," without the usual Howl plug. Plus, nothing's gone behind that paywall even though the Android app has been available for a while at this point.

I still think Howl is a fine idea and I'd readily subscribe, given how much enjoyment I get from Earwolf's shows. They've just bungled the implementation so spectacularly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, I subscribe to Howl right now but I just consider it a monthly donation to Earwolf. As soon as I got through the exclusive content there was never another reason to open the app, and the past 2 months of content hasn't really jumped out to me.

I really doubt it's doing well at all, or could ever. They just wildly misunderstood the market and had poor strategy going in. Which is a bummer, because there is a good idea there, they just didn't nail it.

They should have done a content-first launch with premium feeds of exclusive shows that users could use with their preference of podcast app. Get people hooked on the shows, released weekly, and then roll out the ad-free archive and Howl app once they were ready, which would seem like a bonus to go along with the content rather than the other way around.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 24, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, I subscribe to Howl right now but I just consider it a monthly donation to Earwolf. As soon as I got through the exclusive content there was never another reason to open the app, and the past 2 months of content hasn't really jumped out to me.

I really doubt it's doing well at all, or could ever. They just wildly misunderstood the market and had poor strategy going in. Which is a bummer, because there is a good idea there, they just didn't nail it.

They should have done a content-first launch with premium feeds that users could put into the podcast apps they already use, then rolled out the ad-free archive and Howl app once they were ready.

Based on the quality of their apps I'm going to bet they had in-house devs with little experience develop them, they really just need to outsource or spend some real money on some competent developers.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If they did outsource it they picked the worst possible people. They've still not patched the hole in the website, but they must have known about it for months now.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

All their static assets appear to be hosted by something called StageBloc, so I'm betting it was outsourced.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

feedmyleg posted:

I don't understand how they could misunderstand the market for paid podcasts. They have Jimmy Pardo on the payroll and he'll tell you straight up that there isn't one.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

UP AND ADAM posted:

Besser can't stop making the scene about workers at a company submitting ideas...

That one I don't blame him for because try and think how many group games you can do in a format where nobody can see anyone it really is pretty much just everyone take turns and say a thing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Well, beyond that, the app is just not very good. I'm subscribed to Howl, but just like feedmyleg, I stopped using the app after I went through the Exclusive Content they had at launch. I can only speak for the Android app, but it has no mini-player for the pulldown menu, it has no progressive play feature, and I don't think I was able to use it once without it crashing. As far as podcasting apps go, it's capable of the bare minimum, and even that it doesn't do so well.

Which sucks, because I really enjoyed the Mini-Series idea and thought it would lead to more stuff like the ADPPP.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Which sucks, because I really enjoyed the Mini-Series idea and thought it would lead to more stuff like the ADPPP.

Yeah, this. Superego Forgotten Classics, The Complete Woman, and Wild Horses are the only ones that really have major appeal to me. I like the idea of the experiment, but so few of the series are really all that unique or boundary-pushing. Forgotten Classics is a spinoff of something I already listen to, Complete Woman feels like Lady Superego, and Wild Horses is just another improv podcast (though one of the better ones).

Heck, most of the shows under Premium have only one or two episodes, and they're from Summer or early Autumn.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, this. Superego Forgotten Classics, The Complete Woman, and Wild Horses are the only ones that really have major appeal to me. I like the idea of the experiment, but so few of the series are really all that unique or boundary-pushing. Forgotten Classics is a spinoff of something I already listen to, Complete Woman feels like Lady Superego, and Wild Horses is just another improv podcast (though one of the better ones).

Heck, most of the shows under Premium have only one or two episodes, and they're from Summer or early Autumn.

Part of the reason I subscribed to Howl was because I thought stuff like Forgotten Classics would be updated at least every month or so. I'm still subscribed at the moment, but like someone else said, it's basically just a donation to Earwolf at this point. I've already listened to the exclusive content I'm interested in and more stuff doesn't seem to be forthcoming at a rate that makes it worthwhile.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
"I don't like satire, I just like happy tires".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Superego REALLY forgotten classics

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Superego REALLY forgotten classics

Per twitter, a week ago, "We’re just about done with episode 3. Look for it soon." I'm sure that will be following a loose interpretation of 'soon', but at least the project isn't abandoned.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Tacier posted:

Part of the reason I subscribed to Howl was because I thought stuff like Forgotten Classics would be updated at least every month or so. I'm still subscribed at the moment, but like someone else said, it's basically just a donation to Earwolf at this point. I've already listened to the exclusive content I'm interested in and more stuff doesn't seem to be forthcoming at a rate that makes it worthwhile.

Seriously, the only reason I got the trial version was for that show. They made it sound like at least some of the exclusive content would be updating weekly, but I don't think a single show ever did. There was barely any warning for the launch of the thing, either. They should have delayed long enough to actually tease it, and by then they could have had the Android app as well as more content to release weekly or monthly.

I think it's funny Gourley is reposting I Was There Too episodes under the idea that the old ones are archived. They never actually put up the paywall because by the time they were supposed to, they realized it was going to fail.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
The "final" episode of Nerd Poker was loving great and Patton Oswalt's gross, dumb song turned me into a giggling jackass.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I haven't listened to Nerd Poker in ages, is it ending?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I haven't listened to Nerd Poker in ages, is it ending?

Yes and no. Due to scheduling among the cast, Brain Posehn decided to suspend it indefinitely and ended the current campaign in a silly way. He says he wants to bring it back in a different format in the future, so who knows if that'll go anywhere.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sounds like a good time to relisten to it then.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What's been going on in it? I gave up when it became clear that jerry and the first dm were never coming back

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
I just want more Hardcore Game Of Thrones damnit

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I think this week's i4h was one of the greatest. Superstar lineup. Musical episode, dude didn't wanna talk about literal interpretations of his songs, but just great scenes. Last one was perfection.

PS: I love peeping Bessers band tshirts in the pics. Wearing a Weakerthans this week, He's got like 3 different Residents shirts.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 27, 2015

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I liked when the music guy said "you guys dont even need me to do songs."

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
loving lol at anyone who thought a Superego side project would get new episodes more often than every other month or so.

They're five episodes into season 4 and my feedly says the first ep was released 452 days ago. :(

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 27, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They added some new stuff to the earwolf store for the holidays

There's also a 'Bangzinga' CBB tee (I guess because of the one time Scott said Bang Bang Theory) 'What exactly is a Street Fighter' HDTGM tee and a denzel washington thing (maybe some of that stuff was already there, I've never bought anything from them)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 27, 2015

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^and if we're posting store items, might as well mention that it's code 'blackfriday' for 15% off everything this weekend.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis posted:

Yes and no. Due to scheduling among the cast, Brain Posehn decided to suspend it indefinitely and ended the current campaign in a silly way. He says he wants to bring it back in a different format in the future, so who knows if that'll go anywhere.

I hope that they end up getting a more competent DM than Blaine. Blaine was a hilarious player, but I got ultrabored of giants in primary colors real, real quick. Did that gimmick ever go anywhere, or was it just "I want to make a continent that looks like the game Simon"?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

In addition to being a fantastic episode with the best "June-ism" in history, check out the new How Did This Get Made that features an ad for Squarespace where Paul says "Audible" instead of "Squarespace" like 6 times and doesn't notice.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

cams posted:

In addition to being a fantastic episode with the best "June-ism" in history, check out the new How Did This Get Made that features an ad for Squarespace where Paul says "Audible" instead of "Squarespace" like 6 times and doesn't notice.

I don't hate Paul the way some on here do, but his brain really does seem fried a lot of the time.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
People here hate Paul?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've seen a pretty good amount of people say he's totally unfunny and a lovely improviser.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Paul is, by all accounts, a great live improviser, but when he hosts podcasts it always sounds like he's reading off notes and covering for it with Energy!!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hes funny as heck live, I saw him do long form with jack mcbrayer and they were both really funny.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
He's just a bad host. Or maybe he's a good host but his podcast is bad. Who knows?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gargamel Gibson posted:

He's just a bad host. Or maybe he's a good host but his podcast is bad. Who knows?
I like him and his podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
He peaked on Human Giant, imo. But I also feel that way about Aziz.

Huebel, though, went on to his opus Mike Detective.