Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

Imgur loves making an album of image macros that represent a bunch of stories about their job. Since 2 lines of text isn't much of a story they'll have a paragraph under each picture explaining it. This is the best way to tell stories.

The cynic in me says none of those stories are true. The non-cynical side of me says only 90% of those stories are made up or embellished to the point where it may as well have been totally made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RFC2324 posted:

Which defeats the point of what people who say manspreading think it is.

There are like half a dozen comments on that very image about "Man needs his ball space!"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nuebot posted:

There are like half a dozen comments on that very image about "Man needs his ball space!"

You read comments?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I read youtube comments too, they entertain me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dr_Amazing posted:

Imgur loves making an album of image macros that represent a bunch of stories about their job. Since 2 lines of text isn't much of a story they'll have a paragraph under each picture explaining it. This is the best way to tell stories.

There was one I was going to post the other day, but then I realized that while the format was lovely the stories were about how a guy who is constantly poo poo on by the customers he serves so I didn't feel it belonged here.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another runner-up for the gold medal in mental gymnastics

You know, like how blackface was the first sign that racism was over.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

http://imgur.com/gallery/WwGutPI

How far down the rabbit hole do you have to be to find this even remotely believable?

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy

kazil posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/WwGutPI

How far down the rabbit hole do you have to be to find this even remotely believable?

It's imgur, they're willing to believe anything about 'SJWs' and 'feminazis'

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

dijon du jour posted:

The Best thing for an infographic to have is no references, ever, not one.

Though even if this duder did cite anything, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much every point made is either misunderstood or reductive to the point of near uselessness.

"The "space" individuals have which they are comfortable having others within can morph and change as the result of many factors, such as: their familiarity with the other person, their immediate environment, their current emotional state, their culture, the environment in which they generally live, etc. For example: someone who lives in a crowded city will generally be more comfortable with lots of people being very close by out of necessity" =/= "Folks in the country only talk to each other from across the field! :downs:"

This post was too long and not funny, but it just really gets up my butt when people do this kind if thing. Argh.

my fav bit was if someone is sitting in an office chair with his legs spread out, your way of destroying his cone of popularity is to stand behind him, meekly

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

my fav bit was if someone is sitting in an office chair with his legs spread out, your way of destroying his cone of popularity is to stand behind him, meekly

If I'm reading the image right, what you're actually supposed to do is get a taller chair and spread your legs over the back of his head to claim him and his chair as your own.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
BY THE POWER OF MY BALLS I COMPEL YOU...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fathis Munk posted:

BY THE POWER OF MY BALLS I COMPEL YOU...

Gonna have to remember this line for the next time me and the wife are having sexy times.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
pretty bog standard stdh

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Posted 6 posts above yours.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Who the hell is that lady and why is her face so weird

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I think she's that lady who tried to get state benefits because she cliamed to have PTSD from internet comments, and when a doctor told her no, she went on a publicity spree. She's become the poster child for what Redditers and the like see as SJWs. Sorry for the Daily Mail link.

I like how even the imgur comments mostly call these stories fake now. :allears:

OldMemes has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Nov 26, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

OldMemes posted:

I think she's that lady who tried to get state benefits because she cliamed to have PTSD from internet comments

What

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

You're honestly still suprised by this kinda stuff? I admire your naivety.

Basically she went around being a radical feminist, attacking other feminists who disagreed with her opinons, and then she claimed she couldn't get out of bed for six months, because debating on the Internet gave her PTSD. She now tweets things with the hastag #PTSD.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

You're honestly still suprised by this kinda stuff? I admire your naivety.

Basically she went around being a radical feminist, attacking other feminists who disagreed with her opinons, and then she claimed she couldn't get out of bed for six months, because debating on the Internet gave her PTSD. She now tweets things with the hastag #PTSD.

https://twitter.com/MelodyHensley

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Totally written by a 100% real human female lady!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

joedevola posted:

Totally written by a 100% real human female lady!

I love the starwars background. Dude is mentally 15 years old.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I was at a conference a few weeks ago, about anti-Christian perscution in the third world. They had a woman spoker who was kidnapped by Boko Haram in Nigera and threatened with assualt and murder if she didn't give up her faith in Jesus and become a muslim. After weeks of captivity, they were saved by the miltary, and now she works to warn people about Boko Haram and help deradicalise young muslims. And after all this, she was able to travel half way across the world and get up in front of 2,000 people and share the story. It was really challenging and moving.

This woman had people disagree with her for being a hipster feminist and an atheist, so she has has internet ptsd from "gender terrorists" and couldn't get out of bed for six months and tweets about it?

Yeah, contrast and compare the two.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Directly and overtly begging for attention being rewarded is frankly the most baffling thing about that dumb 'community'. It's like no-one has any dignity nor a stdh detector.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

OldMemes posted:

I was at a conference a few weeks ago, about anti-Christian perscution in the third world. They had a woman spoker who was kidnapped by Boko Haram in Nigera and threatened with assualt and murder if she didn't give up her faith in Jesus and become a muslim. After weeks of captivity, they were saved by the miltary, and now she works to warn people about Boko Haram and help deradicalise young muslims. And after all this, she was able to travel half way across the world and get up in front of 2,000 people and share the story. It was really challenging and moving.

This woman had people disagree with her for being a hipster feminist and an atheist, so she has has internet ptsd from "gender terrorists" and couldn't get out of bed for six months and tweets about it?

Yeah, contrast and compare the two.

Obviously she's pretty self-centered, acting like her internet comment thing is way more important than it actually is, especially compared to military vet PTSD etc.

But the human brain is a weird thing. I can totally see someone having a brain retardedly hosed up enough to get permanently damaged by mean words. It just means that she had some kind of retarded hosed up brain before ptsd as well.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Edit: wrong thread

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Obviously she's pretty self-centered, acting like her internet comment thing is way more important than it actually is, especially compared to military vet PTSD etc.

But the human brain is a weird thing. I can totally see someone having a brain retardedly hosed up enough to get permanently damaged by mean words. It just means that she had some kind of retarded hosed up brain before ptsd as well.

Viewed through the lens that Internet activism is really really important, the most important thing, I can see the point that being stalked and threatened and harassed everywhere you go for years, and for years to come including to this day, would be at least a little upsetting. Especially if you make your living as a writer, it's like not even being able to go to work, talk to your friends, or even get out of bed without having your stalkers attack, and it's also your fault.

Aside, her twitter reads like a tumblr bingo card. gender terrorist victim blame ptsd mental illness gaslight. I just need to find highly problematic for a line.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

many johnnys posted:

Aside, her twitter reads like a tumblr bingo card. gender terrorist victim blame ptsd mental illness gaslight. I just need to find highly problematic for a line.

Aside from gender and problematic, what's wrong with these words?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Aside from gender and problematic, what's wrong with these words?

In the right discussion or context, they can be useful words to make a point or describe a thing. Weird tumblr types seem to throw them around willy-nilly though. In hensley's case, everything is gaslighting, and "gaslight" could practically be her catchphrase (if she didn't already invent "gender terrorist" because drat).

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

:biotruths:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh yeah totally, 500 000 years ago us ladies had to make up grocery lists and do the vacuuming and dusting for the survival of the tribe. That's the only reason we are still alive as a species.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
It's true, I WOULD rather stay at home and take care of cats or whatever but that's because I'm a lazy rear end, not because I'm a woman female. And there's quite a lot of men who would rather stay at home playing games rather than work so

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

actually, females

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean, I can understand if people started really going after her; causing issues with her job so she loses it, making the harassment inescapable, etc. That kind of stress can really add up and have a lasting impact.

If its purely on twitter though, there are tools to deal with that now like shared block lists (things that were developed to deal with the gg hivemind). There's also the less fortunate option of just taking a break if it comes down to that I guess.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Is that SWATing?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah it's dangerous as poo poo. Thankfully they have put a few people away for doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Walk away from the screen SLOWLY WITH YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEAD

• Locked thread