Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Stanley Pain posted:

The problem is that we never see anything expect for their two vanguard DDs and everyone else on their team is hanging back sniping. We'd need to be at least 100x more organized than we are or we need some super star BBs that can drop their scouts immediately. Also our CV players would need to learn how to stack their planes properly so they don't get auto annihilated. Also practice with a static team..

All these things start getting into territory I don't like when I'm playing games. A little bit of tryhardiness might be fun but it goes downhill pretty quick after that for me.

That poo poo was boring in WoTs and its boring here. I don't mind mild competence but anything above that detracts from the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's not like their tactic is all that hard to figure out.

DDs approach and circle back @ max spotting range (their CVs provide increased scouting time/range/torps), BBs focus fire the spotted things + provide constant smoke for the DDs. Rinse Repeat.

Klaus88 posted:

That poo poo was boring in WoTs and its boring here. I don't mind mild competence but anything above that detracts from the fun.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of introducing "work ithings" into my "fun things". There's a joke about insertion here, I'm sure of it ;)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:feelsgood:

The Hatsuharu seems to be a particularly good submarine hunter. It's got its depth-charge launchers on either side of the ship, instead of both side-by-side at the back. That gives you much more in the way of possible approaches to depth-charge a fucker. The fairly powerful guns sure don't hurt either.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's the best way to get into a goon group? The room on mumble is usually empty when I'm trying to play.

Does Mastery in a ship actually do anything or is it just a cool star that shows how awesome you are? So far the Farragut is my favorite ship in the game, if only for 8 torpedo spreads getting me 3 kills in a row from early game DD rushes. How do the japanese destroyers compare?

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 25, 2015

so I was like
Oct 18, 2009
Just got MVP earlier this morning, 5 kills and tons of damage in a tier I-II game as a japanese tier 2 dd. :coolfish: Felt a bit cheap, I think a couple didn't know what a torp was. Tier 3, here I come!

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
Applied in game as nkalv.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
Applied.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's the best way to get into a goon group? The room on mumble is usually empty when I'm trying to play.

Does Mastery in a ship actually do anything or is it just a cool star that shows how awesome you are? So far the Farragut is my favorite ship in the game, if only for 8 torpedo spreads getting me 3 kills in a row from early game DD rushes. How do the japanese destroyers compare?

You apply, post your name in the thread and hope that I haven't come around and just mashed the clear all button :)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The tutorial stops after two parts? It keeps telling me to go back to port for a commander but it hasn't given me one?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
SOMEONE HIT THE CLEAR ALL APPLICANTS BUTTON!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ratzap posted:

The tutorial stops after two parts? It keeps telling me to go back to port for a commander but it hasn't given me one?

Further parts of the tutorial will be unlocked as you fulfill certain prerequisites. You'll get the submarine-tutorial when you buy a submarine, the carrier-tutorial when you buy a carrier, and so on.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Guess you can only get the free gold for playing with an elite ship once, huh? I guess it did seem too good to be true.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Yes. Also 500 free gold if you play on thanksgiving.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Kinda bullshit the game leaves you without even enough for a hangar.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Perestroika posted:

Further parts of the tutorial will be unlocked as you fulfill certain prerequisites. You'll get the submarine-tutorial when you buy a submarine, the carrier-tutorial when you buy a carrier, and so on.

Thanks, I found it out a few battles later. it could do with explaining things a bit better though and ditch the commander warning until you are actually allowed to use them. Seems decent fun though, I made 2100 exp in my first submarine match so that promises to become amusing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

SOMEONE HIT THE CLEAR ALL APPLICANTS BUTTON!

IT WASN'T ME I SWEAR!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Does Mastery in a ship actually do anything or is it just a cool star that shows how awesome you are?

You can select "Quick Training" or something like that in the upper left of the port screen (above the commander icons) and all the ship XP you earn with that ship in future games will be spread among the commanders you used with it.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

IT WASN'T ME I SWEAR!

I did it. I always check the last page of the thread and if there's no names that match when I'm hitting that list it gets cleared.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So as an old Navyfield player. How much is this game like it?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Torpedo walls are a thing.

Manual guns are a thing.

Friendly torpedo walls hitting allies is a thing.

Pretty close really.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Stevefin posted:

Well, anything that isn't a BB, SS or CV actually has a use even in higher tier games.
Gun selection is WoT like. But the stock equipment is usually very good as well. I am kinda happy/sad about that. On one hand, choosing your guns for your ship is cool, on the other hand, Navyfield did it awful.

CVs are a good mix of WoWs and NS. You get a certain amount of slots. Each slot can have one type of plane in the air. You can select how many you want to start per squad.

AA is manual, but you get an aim marker that is sometimes correct. Automatic AA still exists.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Stevefin posted:

Biggest difference is WoT style manual aim, awsd controls, and WoT style UI. The spelling mistakes, generally terrible english, and silly chat filter will make you feel right at home though. There's also no high angling, which makes me sad as a former HA atlanta driver.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Stevefin posted:

You will never be threatened with your crews' lives if you do not pay2win

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I dug around and figured out how to make custom skins for ships. It was annoying, so I made a guide about it. If you are into that kind of thing, here you go:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=562669184

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

you could just wait for december for the new patch that adds that in.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone please make a skin with two big dicks on the side of the Atlanta for me, tia.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Almost half of us are tier 5 now.

Games at that tier are some what rare, and very rare if you platoon. We have enough goons that we can sync drop and create our own matches in tier 5.

So what I am saying is stop platooning for tier 5 and start shoot goons.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We're also starting to see actual numbers in tier 6 as well. Last night I was getting fairly constant pops on my tier 6 DD and BB. GOOD TIMES!@

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
How do you get merit points? Only way i have seen to get them is to do missions but since they cut they 15 wins a day merit thing there doesnt really seem to be a good way of getting it. Iam just 90 merit points of buying the 10 commander package so iam pretty annoyed they cut it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

kalven posted:

How do you get merit points? Only way i have seen to get them is to do missions but since they cut they 15 wins a day merit thing there doesnt really seem to be a good way of getting it. Iam just 90 merit points of buying the 10 commander package so iam pretty annoyed they cut it.

There's another currently ongoing mission for killing 3 american ships a day (called "Tora Tora Tora", I think), which gives 90 merit per completion. It's not much, but I guess it's something.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The real grind is not only the mertis, but the stupid tokens to Upgrade their rating (stars). Upper end you need like 1000+ tokens. WIsh they actually sold that poo poo for money because I would totally do it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Lets talk about merit.

You have a daily merit event tora tora tora which is 90 merit for killing three US ships.
You have a weekly merit event for winning two fleet battles for 360 merit. Fleet battles are tuesday and friday.
You have a weekly merit event for 15 battles won at tier 3 or higher and gives you 540 merit.
The weekly merit events restart on monday.

This comes out to 1530 merit a week. or 8.5 officers.

There is also merit for the entire fleet based on our monthly fleet rating.
As of this post there are 13 fleets on the board.
First place is 1260 merit
Second and Third place is 1080 merit
Fourth to Tenth is 900 merit
11th - 30th is 720 merit

We are currently position 5. So if we win a few more tomorrow, everyone in the fleet gets 1080 merit instead of 900.

If you buy one officer for 180 merit or 10 for 1800 merit you do not get a better rarity. The only 10 pack that gives you better rarity is the one for 18,000 gold.

All of this info is on the events tab, rankings tab, or shop.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 26, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you Papa Grithok! :thumbsup:

kalven
Feb 17, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

If you buy one officer for 180 merit or 10 for 1800 merit you do not get a better rarity.

Great post over all and thanks for that. But are you sure about the quoted part? I swear i heard some where that the 10 one was better.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
but but bu... then the 10 package have no up sides?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It has one.

You don't have to buy 10 individual packs.

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
That is more insulting than beneficial.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hello T6 Pennsylvania.
Trip report following soon.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I gave them some money and have t2 ships so looks like I'll be playing a bit. I pressed the apply button, give me freebies please. In game name is the same as this.

• Locked thread