Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yes, connected computers communicating though secure APIs (encrypted at both the transport and payload levels as well as having proper two way auth) is the way to go and would serve minimal risk.

The issue is you have to convince the money people that it's both worth the time to do it properly but also worth any limitations that may come with the security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

duz posted:

Yeah, that's one thing that's really impressed me with Tesla, their carputer is basically designed from an computer engineer view point, not an auto engineer view point.

It's a nice big screen but the Tesla UI is kind of a running joke among designers for how lovely it is. I guess it's better than whatever GM shat out last week so that's nice but man they really need to hire some serious UX people to redo that thing. It's like looking at some awful website for a mexican restaurant that was last updated in 2003.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's a nice big screen but the Tesla UI is kind of a running joke among designers for how lovely it is. I guess it's better than whatever GM shat out last week so that's nice but man they really need to hire some serious UX people to redo that thing. It's like looking at some awful website for a mexican restaurant that was last updated in 2003.

Oh, yeah, never let a programmer do graphic design, that's evidence right there as to why they shouldn't. I was talking more about the backend.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pryor on Fire posted:

It got a lot better in 6.0, IMO. More consistent at least.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

duz posted:

Must be an upgrade because I don't have the base model and mine can do both of those things. My clocks aren't connected either though, but I expected that for dumb, technical reasons.

I have a 2015 Leaf SV and the dash clock and console clock are both synced (and are set automatically via NTP, as far as I can tell, I can't find any option to manually set time/date but it's always correct). :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you have a nav system? Wondering how it knows your timezone.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have a nav system? Wondering how it knows your timezone.

It has satnav, but there's also an option in date/time settings to manually set time zone. I have no idea if it would automatically update that if I changed time zones.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pryor on Fire posted:

hire some serious UX people

No such thing, UX designers are literal drooling loving idiots of the IT world

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

duz posted:

Yeah, that's one thing that's really impressed me with Tesla, their carputer is basically designed from an computer engineer view point, not an auto engineer view point.

I know it's better than most, but I recall when people first found the hidden ethernet port it was quickly discovered that the displays were open X11 servers that anything else on the network could communicate with. I'm pretty sure that's been considered a bad idea for a very long time.

To their credit I think that got locked down pretty quickly after it was made public, plus they definitely had some kind of intrusion detection going on because they contacted the owner involved and let him know they knew he was poking around with things.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm not too worried about attacks that require someone to get inside my car, honestly. There are lots of unsavory things that an attacker can do with access to the engine compartment of any car, really.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not too worried about attacks that require someone to get inside my car, honestly. There are lots of unsavory things that an attacker can do with access to the engine compartment of any car, really.

Completely agreed, that particular thing just stood out as odd since I'm pretty sure they had to go out of their way to put X11 in to an insecure configuration like that.

There may not be any way to exploit possible X11 bugs directly over a remote connection, but if something else allows remote access to another part of the car any internal vulnerabilities might have just become external vulnerabilities by proxy, so you can't entirely discount them.

Basically the same logic behind why its a good idea to keep up internal security on a business network even if your firewall is locked down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, if the thing can auth to X11, then its credentials are stored somewhere that's connected to the network, so it might not be more than a speedbump to a remote attacker.

But yeah, not how I'd do it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ola posted:

As we head into the age of the internet of lovely things, I feel strongly that cars need less computers, not more. About the Leaf charging thing, is it possible to have a timed electric plug? Like the ones that people use for switching lights on and off so it looks like they're home to burglars?

There are (home) charging stations that can do it but they're like twice the cost of the one I got. I decided I'd rather have several hundred dollars rather than something to enable laziness, especially since I plan on upgrading to a nicer one when my lease is up and then it won't matter as I can just use the app.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I didn't hate it when I played with it at the tesla showcase at the mall for as much as I've heard grousing about it but as I recall there was some stuff that was kind of obtuse and difficult to find. I imagine most of it is obnoxious because it's nice to have hardware buttons when you can't always look at the screen?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The only thing I really wish was more accessible is forcing the headlights on. There are some daytime-headlight zones near me, and I like to put them on in the rain, but it's a bit clumsy to get to them when driving.

Otherwise I only interact with the screen for nav, switching display between nav and camera to work around the terrible rear visibility, and adjusting suspension height. The rollers on the steering wheel aren't perfect, but they make the other mid-drive stuff accessible enough (sunroof, phone controls).

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Subjunctive posted:

The only thing I really wish was more accessible is forcing the headlights on. There are some daytime-headlight zones near me, and I like to put them on in the rain, but it's a bit clumsy to get to them when driving.

Otherwise I only interact with the screen for nav, switching display between nav and camera to work around the terrible rear visibility, and adjusting suspension height. The rollers on the steering wheel aren't perfect, but they make the other mid-drive stuff accessible enough (sunroof, phone controls).

I always figured the front LED running lights (the "eyes") were bright enough to satisfy those rules? Don't tell me I've been skirting the law!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm not sure, I've always assumed you needed actual headlights, but I'm probably wrong. I'm conservative, I'd rather have my lights on whenever the car is in motion if I could set it that way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Canadian regulations for DRLs give manufacturers a whole bunch of options. DRL functionality can be "optically combined with" the headlamps, fog lamps, turn signals, or parking lamps, meaning you can run any of those lamps full-time as DRLs. If you use the headlamps, you can reduce the voltage, but they have to hit at least 75% of the low-beam brightness.

You can also have a dedicated system, in which case it has to follow the same illumination specs as fog lamps. That's how I chose to retrofit DRLs on my car when I brought it back with me from the states -- added a pair of aftermarket fog lamps and wired them to run whenever the ignition is on.

The main idea is to increase your car's conspicuousness and to give a visible indication that the car is running. The actual quality of the light produced isn't as important.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Subjunctive posted:

You actually kept the sunroof binding to one of the rollers? I never use the sunroof but it always worried me that I'd hit it accidentally.

I mostly use the screen to mess with the climate control and it's pretty annoying. Hell, even little UI things like how the rear view camera behaves differently from the other panels is confusing as hell and has distracted me pretty dangerously while driving.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mange Mite posted:

You actually kept the sunroof binding to one of the rollers? I never use the sunroof but it always worried me that I'd hit it accidentally.

I mostly use the screen to mess with the climate control and it's pretty annoying. Hell, even little UI things like how the rear view camera behaves differently from the other panels is confusing as hell and has distracted me pretty dangerously while driving.

I haven't hit the sunroof by accident more than maybe twice in 6 months, so it's not a big problem for me. The rear camera panel is weird, I agree.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mange Mite posted:

Hell, even little UI things like how the rear view camera behaves differently from the other panels is confusing as hell and has distracted me pretty dangerously while driving.

For those of us without a spaceship could you explain the different behaviors please?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No such thing, UX designers are literal drooling loving idiots of the IT world

I've been lucky to work with a handful of UX designers who all take their work seriously.

At least, more seriously than the average mouth breathing software engineer I've had to work with does.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Temp fix they have come up for the EU diesels:

https://youtu.be/jKN8danpIfE

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Another temp fix, since the politicians can always be counted on to help out the richest voters, is simply ease the emissions limits. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/28/eu-emissions-limits-nox-car-manufacturers

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

As we head into the age of the internet of lovely things, I feel strongly that cars need less computers, not more. About the Leaf charging thing, is it possible to have a timed electric plug? Like the ones that people use for switching lights on and off so it looks like they're home to burglars?

You mean schedule your charging to take advantage of off-peak rates? I could've sworn the Volt had that feature.

Beffer posted:

Aromatherapy in your car. An important development for humanity building on the scented pine trees that hang from taxi drivers rear vision mirrors. We're living in the future, kids.

The 2014 Mercedes S Class actually has that as an option.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cockmaster posted:

You mean schedule your charging to take advantage of off-peak rates? I could've sworn the Volt had that feature.

It does:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The one thing I wish Volt would do that it doesn't is charge immediately, until peak time, stop charging, and then restart. If you set it to charge off-peak only, it will wait until after the peak period to start charging, even if there are several hours until peak-time starts. Particularly annoying with 110v charging.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Most fun DIY electric I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6VJ6_4yCkw

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

That is a fantastic car. And a great show, too. Thanks for the link.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Robert Llewellyn never fails to entertain, and he's got a massive boner for electric cars.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

Robert Llewellyn... massive boner

Required:

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 30, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Beffer posted:

That is a fantastic car. And a great show, too. Thanks for the link.

I went to visit Jonny Smith and the Flux Capacitor at the beginning of the month, it is an extremely cool car. The piece should go up some time this week at Ars.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
The Chevy Bolt has been spotted http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/01/2017-chevy-bolt-spy-shots

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That's clearly a Nissan

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Elon Musk can accidentally knock a clay model of a Model S off a desk onto the floor and it will still be more attractive than that.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It looks nice to me? :smith: But I own a Honda Fit so I obviously lack taste.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Logikv9 posted:

It looks nice to me? :smith: But I own a Honda Fit so I obviously lack taste.

It's not fundamentally ugly but Tesla has shown you can have an electric car that is not a Prius-esque egg.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It looks like someone tipped it forward before it had set, and everything shifted.

Tesla's design innovation was making an electric car that didn't look Different Because Electric.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I really want a good looking electric sedan. I absolutely hate all cars that have that raised back look that seems to come from the crossover / SUV cars.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

blugu64 posted:

That's clearly a Nissan

Can't be, it doesn't have the bulging frog eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

It looks like someone tipped it forward before it had set, and everything shifted.

Tesla's design innovation was making an electric car that didn't look Different Because Electric.

Bolt looks like a pretty generic vehicle to me idk. I am a huge fan of the Volt even though I would never buy one because they purposefully designed it to be a rather masculine look that is good enough to prevent the hordes of car people with fragile male egos from making GBS threads on it for being too cute/foreign/nontraditional yet it's still pretty distinctive.

I don't think this design is as groundbreaking as the Volt even though it does seem to be trying to straddle that same line, but hatchbacks in general aren't really "masculine" in the first place so it doesn't come off as well as the Volt. It looks like a nice hatchback though, which sell well, so it will probably do fine.

• Locked thread