Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Iceclaw posted:

Do I suck, or are the two handed weapons kind of bad for the Soldier? They are so slow to swing I seems to get swarmed every fight and nearly torn appart.
Try and learn the rhythm of charging up just enough to let a charge attack go, swing, repeat. While releasing it, also swing your mouse to the side and you'll hit the rats over there too, so Kruber in hordes is a charge-swinging pivoting machine. Learn to dance forward to your dwarfs shield line at the right time to release your strike and step back to charge it again to not take any damage.

Like nearly every weapon, don't bother with the standard left click attack unless there's only one rat (or if it's the hammer then that one has AP) and you'll find 2h Kruber is basically king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Iceclaw posted:

Do I suck, or are the two handed weapons kind of bad for the Soldier? They are so slow to swing I seems to get swarmed every fight and nearly torn appart.

The 2 handed hammer is a lot more useful that it appears at first glance. Both attacks do armor penetration, and do a significant amount of stagger/knockback. Once you get the rhythm down, you can waltz into whole swarms of rats and wipe them out without taking a scratch. The charge attacks also work well against Stormvermin, you'll be batting them back and forth in a hilarious fashion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skandranon posted:

The 2 handed hammer is a lot more useful that it appears at first glance. Both attacks do armor penetration, and do a significant amount of stagger/knockback. Once you get the rhythm down, you can waltz into whole swarms of rats and wipe them out without taking a scratch. The charge attacks also work well against Stormvermin, you'll be batting them back and forth in a hilarious fashion.

The primary attack is also great when you need to do a whole bunch of damage to a stormvermin right now.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Night10194 posted:

The primary attack is also great when you need to do a whole bunch of damage to a stormvermin right now.

BONK

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

came here to post how satisfying it in playing whack-a-mole with the 2h hammer

BONK

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

But Not Tonight posted:

came here to post how satisfying it in playing whack-a-mole with the 2h hammer

BONK

They're rats

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I want to pick this game up but I heard that it's pretty buggy (A.I. director is hosed, netcode isn't great etc.)

Is there any truth to this?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Neo_Crimson posted:

I want to pick this game up but I heard that it's pretty buggy (A.I. director is hosed, netcode isn't great etc.)

The AI is kind of bad but almost everything is online multiplayer so it doesn't matter much. The netcode is fine.

The real weak point is the balance that is hosed beyond belief, and some missing basic QOL features like team shuffle.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Chomp8645 posted:

The AI is kind of bad but almost everything is online multiplayer so it doesn't matter much. The netcode is fine.

The real weak point is the balance that is hosed beyond belief, and some missing basic QOL features like team shuffle.
Did you mean to post this in the Battlefront thread since you're also active in that one? Team shuffle doesn't really apply here..

Neo_Crimson posted:

Its not really buggy anymore tbh, AI director isn't 'hosed' it just creates really hard situation sometimes. There were some exploits and dumb bugs but they've been patched out.

Netcode is absolutely fine and I've only had problems with lag when I tried to join a game in another continent as there weren't ones I wanted in my own zone.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's janky but doesn't feel extremely buggy. I'd say the worst of it has to do with the way it spawns enemies, where it can sometimes make rats appear in front of you (I've had this happen with roger two separate times which was terrible and ended both runs). This is bad but it otherwise works pretty well. The AI director sometimes decides that you just aren't going to win this game and throws a ridiculous situation at you but that's not really a bug so much as poor balance. That is also pretty rare when it happens.

Netcode is fine in my experience. Overall it doesn't feel like a polished game at all but it works about as well as it needs to.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Metos posted:

Did you mean to post this in the Battlefront thread since you're also active in that one? Team shuffle doesn't really apply here..

Holy moley. I read that guy's post and thought I was in the Battlefront thread.

Anyway for this game I think the AI actually pretty good as far as bots go. You could drag one with you most of the time, maybe two if you have a solid partner. Really not designed for solo play.

As for netcode I've occasionally seen laggy hosts but I mean it's peer to peer networking and that comes with territory. Netcode seems fine overall.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The AI 'director' is just a few dicerolls and timers just like L4D, it works exactly the same. Sometimes you get a really tough outcome because a few specials spawned alongside an ogre. The AI for the bots is also just like L4D, serviceable but don't let them grab your healing stuff, except in this game they'll sometimes go catatonic if they have to replace a human player mid-game.

Geight fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 26, 2015

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Everything that interacts with or involves a rat is fun. Anything not about rats is debatable. By and large, your screen will be covered in rats.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Speculate.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Speculate.

I guess those trinkets might somehow influence the loot drops, perhaps by weighting them more towards a particular class and/or improving the rolls/rarity?

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Like this.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Also teased on the twitter is a new trait icon of a dagger next to someone with the caption "backstabbery", easy extrapolation being that it deals more damage when hitting something from behind. Roger beware!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUrQJiYWUAAmohq.png:large

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
What a great new feature most people would rather not use since it will take up a trinket slot!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

AndroidHub posted:

What a great new feature most people would rather not use since it will take up a trinket slot!

Real men play on cata with no trinkets anyway, so it's no difference :v:.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

AndroidHub posted:

He says, implying most people even have more than two trinkets :D

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Seriously, how is anyone even playing this game? Some days I can start it without issues, other times it refuses to load no matter how many times I restart. Their stupid online backend app is broken as all hell.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have never had any problems with the backend? :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Never had trouble playing before and never heard of anyone else having that problem either.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That is weird. Right now this is all I can see after the Vermintide logo

or

Repeat ad nauseam

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

No. 6 posted:

or

Repeat ad nauseam

It's the new difficulty setting

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

No. 6 posted:

Seriously, how is anyone even playing this game? Some days I can start it without issues, other times it refuses to load no matter how many times I restart. Their stupid online backend app is broken as all hell.

I don't know what's been going on with your situation, cause it's been pretty smooth for me the whole time. Meanwhile, you can't even start the game and have been running into that problem for like... a month. I imagine you've re-installed and all that?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's the new difficulty setting

This new difficulty is how the devs intended the game to be played. You can tell because they force it on the players.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

No. 6 posted:

or

Repeat ad nauseam

less worthessly than the rest of this thread, your problem is definitely isolated but definitely not something you're doing wrong, presuming you've verified your cache and/or tried to reinstall. i would open a steam ticket with an explanation of the situation, and then also post whatever explanation you come up with to fatshark's technical support forum.

95% of the responses you get on the latter will be the same zero-calorie replies you got here but it really can't hurt.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kitchner posted:

This new difficulty is how the devs intended the game to be played. You can tell because they force it on the players.

The only difficulty where gear truly does not matter, as it should be.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

No. 6 posted:

or

Repeat ad nauseam

Like Coolguye said, this is somehow unique to you. I'm assuming you've tried reinstalling/Verifying cache just to make sure. Also I remember an issue about Steam names with strange characters? So if youre one of those, try renaming yourself to something that just has standard ASCII characters.

Neo_Crimson posted:

AI director can sometimes really want your group dead when it spawns a special "gently caress you" combo of specials, but other than that I wouldn't say it's an issue.
Netcode has never been an issue for me as a EU playing mostly on games hosted by American people - you just have to be aware of the latency t hat exists whenever you are not the host, regardless of his location, in that you can't be as ballsy with blocks and dodges.

If anything my issue recomending this game to people would be its heavy CPU depency, although that's been somewhat resolved in one of these last patches. If you don't have a decent cpu (and that is generous - I'm on an i5 2500K at 4ghz, which is a 5 year old CPU and I run good on medium settings), regardless of your graphics card, you will have a bad time. On the flipside, turning down CPU heavy options like physics debris and some particular graphics options doesn't really have a big effect on how t he game looks but generally has a big performance increase.

But then there's always those situations where youre in a horde spawn and there's 60+ rats, and that'll take a toll on your system, regardless of settings.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

No. 6 posted:

Repeat ad nauseam

Have you ever been able to login successfully?

What do you use for a firewall / anti virus? It could be interfering with the game somehow. Try disabling them before starting the game.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
the two handed hammers own and ragdoll everything forever, then kill stormvermin in 3 normal attacks when you would rather not pull out a handgun

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I got a crossbow with "Scavanger" (9% chance to replenish ammo on a kill) and I have fired it hundreds of times and not noticed it do anything. Anyone else have this issue?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Unzip and Attack posted:

I got a crossbow with "Scavanger" (9% chance to replenish ammo on a kill) and I have fired it hundreds of times and not noticed it do anything. Anyone else have this issue?
Are you telling me you're watching your ammo count intensely with each shot instead of where the next rat's head is?

It doesn't have a proc animation like healing does.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
It also only restores one ammo regardless of what type of ranged weapon you're using, so yeah.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
HAHAHA so by "replenish" it means you get back one shot? What a completely garbage trait. My first green was that and my first blue was a blunderbuss with decreased spread as its special ability. Maybe next I can find a trinket that makes drinking a potion take longer.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Unzip and Attack posted:

HAHAHA so by "replenish" it means you get back one shot? What a completely garbage trait. My first green was that and my first blue was a blunderbuss with decreased spread as its special ability. Maybe next I can find a trinket that makes drinking a potion take longer.

It's a good trait when it's NOT on the ranged weapon.

I have Sword & dagger with Scavenger and I pair it with whatever bow. It works its magic quite nicely.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just think of it as having 9% more ammo.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

I wouldn't buy this in its current state. I've had the game crash or freeze up more times than I can count. In my recent attempt at hosting, the game froze when someone tried to join. Frantic alt-tabbing eventually made the game run again, but the guy joining had vanished. After a few seconds the game replayed the intro cutscene and kicked me out of my own game into the lobby.

It's kind of a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Promontory posted:

I wouldn't buy this in its current state. I've had the game crash or freeze up more times than I can count. In my recent attempt at hosting, the game froze when someone tried to join. Frantic alt-tabbing eventually made the game run again, but the guy joining had vanished. After a few seconds the game replayed the intro cutscene and kicked me out of my own game into the lobby.

It's kind of a mess.

What you describe though isn't very widespread otherwise this thread would be going bonkers over it. Personally I've not had any problems with the game at all since launch. When people are talking about the "state" of the game they usually mean in a general sense for most users, not isolated issues.

• Locked thread