Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Binkenstein posted:

I'm voting for Red Peak first, then inverting Key's list.

If Red Peak doesn't win this stage then I'll vote to keep our current one.

You don't have to vote for all of them, do you? I ONLY voted for Red Peak and the hypnoflag. No loving way is my vote transferring to one of those Lockwood abominations or the All Blacks flag lite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

The Sin of Onan posted:

You don't have to vote for all of them, do you? I ONLY voted for Red Peak and the hypnoflag. No loving way is my vote transferring to one of those Lockwood abominations or the All Blacks flag lite.

You don't have to, but you can't hurt your higher ranked votes with the lower ones.

I dis

1- Red Peak
2- Hypnoflag
3- Fern black and blue
4- Fern red and blue
5- fern black and white

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Noxin of Shame posted:

It's tyool 2015. Can't we have a national gif instead?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It'd make John Key happy. That's justification enough not to give him his new flag, IMO

Red Peak would be better than nothing, cause it's not the one he wanted.
But yeah, the thought of his smug face if the change goes through makes me feel sick.

Why can't we have moral, upstanding politicians who want to change the flag for the right reasons?

Yeah, I know, kind of an oxymoron.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If we're talking outcomes to gently caress with JK then red peak winning this and the second referendum failing would be the biggest egg-on-face scenario imo.

Honestly I'd welcome a flag change, even if JK will be smug about it. But other than red peak or maybe hypnoflag I wouldn't want any of those as the flag :(

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

fong posted:

Honestly I'd welcome a flag change, even if JK will be smug about it. But other than red peak or maybe hypnoflag I wouldn't want any of those as the flag :(

And even then they'd just be "Eh" flags rather than "Wow this flag is the best!"

The only way I see us getting a publicly supported flag change after this is if someone can design a really good original flag which represents New Zealand in a way that isn't tacky or complicated.
Any takers?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Laverna posted:

And even then they'd just be "Eh" flags rather than "Wow this flag is the best!"

The only way I see us getting a publicly supported flag change after this is if someone can design a really good original flag which represents New Zealand in a way that isn't tacky or complicated.
Any takers?
Won't happen until anyone who think "But there is maaarree stuff on that flag, it doesn't represent me, a normal white person" is dead and buried.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

mirthdefect posted:

Won't happen until anyone who think "But there is maaarree stuff on that flag, it doesn't represent me, a normal white person" is dead and buried.

Jesus this is a toxic attitude. I am literally studying a bachelor of nursing right now, and without a doubt 75% of the class have exactly this sort of outrage any time we have to study cultural safety. It's pretty repulsive. One of the other students, a lady in her 50s actually rang the lecturer about the class we had just had earlier in the day and complained whole-heartedly about how its crap how we have to learn about the treaty "cause it's dead and gone and they should just loving get over it, they lost the wars. I don't wanna have learn this whakiwhaki poo poo" and classmates were congratulating her :smith:

These people are going to be nurses...

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Laverna posted:

Any takers?

The only way we get a new flag if (when) this fails is when we either: have a bloody revolution, or we finally cut ties from England. Other than that, not happening.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Yeah I don't see a revolution anytime soon, there's another season of The Block coming

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

The Sin of Onan posted:

You don't have to rank them all, but if you rank the Lockwood Blue/Red Fern last then your vote will basically always be *against* it, which is why the best option is Red Peak 1, Koru 2, Fern 3 and then optional Red/Black Fern 4

The best success for those wanting to say "gently caress you" to Key is not to spoil votes or not participate, but to rank Red Peak 1st to basically say "Your flag selection committee sucks balls". The second referendum is where we get to say "gently caress you we don't want to change".

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Spiteski posted:

Jesus this is a toxic attitude. I am literally studying a bachelor of nursing right now, and without a doubt 75% of the class have exactly this sort of outrage any time we have to study cultural safety. It's pretty repulsive. One of the other students, a lady in her 50s actually rang the lecturer about the class we had just had earlier in the day and complained whole-heartedly about how its crap how we have to learn about the treaty "cause it's dead and gone and they should just loving get over it, they lost the wars. I don't wanna have learn this whakiwhaki poo poo" and classmates were congratulating her :smith:

This sort of attitude bewilders me - imagine you walk into your flat and your landlord is in there moving all your stuff out. Yod be like "what's going on, we have a fixed term year lease" and your landlord goes "yeah but we signed that ages ago. Also I'm bigger than you. That agreement is dead and gone".

It's not like whitey can't empathise - its just plain old racism.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

It's not like whitey can't empathise - its just plain old racism.

One stems from the other; most people are idiots and can't believe something is real if they haven't experienced it first hand, which means it doesn't exist, which means no empathy, which means them maowries just need to harden up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Change the landlord to your neighbour, and he smashes you in the face every time you try to stop him taking some of your stuff, so you complain to the police and the officers they send are his brothers so they ignore it, and when you finally get it to court he stands there and says he won it legitimately in an arm-wrestling contest and all the punters just nod and say "yeah, well you did lose all those fights over it so your lease is invalid."

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

mirthdefect posted:

I sadly know too many young people who think this for it to ever be the case.

Spiteski posted:

I tried explaining to someone once why compulsory Maori classes in schools would be good for even us white people but I had to give up. It's impossible.

I really wish I'd taken the time to learn Te Reo, as soon as you leave New Zealand you realise that the Maori culture and language are the only things that make it unique. If you take those out of the equation what are we left with? Rugby, Lord of the Rings and chocolate fish?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Laverna posted:

I really wish I'd taken the time to learn Te Reo, as soon as you leave New Zealand you realise that the Maori culture and language are the only things that make it unique. If you take those out of the equation what are we left with? Rugby, Lord of the Rings and chocolate fish?

Pineapple Lumps, you loving heathen.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Laverna posted:

I tried explaining to someone once why compulsory Maori classes in schools would be good for even us white people but I had to give up. It's impossible.

I am seriously considering learning it during my holidays for the next few years. I can imagine it being pretty drat valuable for nursing career.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
As in all things, we should turn to Lenin

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This Lenin chap seems like a fine fellow, please tell me more about 'communism'.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Pineapple Lumps, you loving heathen.

Ugh, they are an abomination and chocolate fish are so much better.

When I was a kid my best friend's family always had dried pineapple chunks as treats, so I grew up thinking that they were what people meant when they talked about "Pineapple Lumps". I was pretty horrified when I found out the truth.

Laverna fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 26, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Laverna posted:

Ugh, they are an abomination and chocolate fish are so much better.

The gently caress is wrong with you, I bet you take the pickles out of your burgers like some sort of maowrie.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Friends, brothers, countrymen -- cannot we enjoy both pineapple lumps and chocolate fish? Our land provides such bounties for all who would seek them.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

fish lumps

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Fineapple Chumps

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Fineapple Chumps

Oh, you flatterer.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Laverna posted:

Yeah I remember coming back from my OE in Asia and suddenly all the Maori cultural features in Auckland Airport made sense in a home sort of way. For those of us still here, I know you can learn Te Reo for free through AUT and probably other institutions. I have friend who have done it and say it is very good.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
You will be asked to rank Rugby, Lord of the Rings, Pineapple Lumps and Chocolate Fish – 1, 2, 3, 4 – in the order you prefer them.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Regardless of feelings I think we can all agree that the new zealand identity is best defined by products

swampland fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 26, 2015

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

swampland posted:

Regardless of feelings I think we can all agree that the new zealand identity is best defined by products made by foreign owned companies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

swampland posted:

Regardless of feelings I think we can all agree that the new zealand identity is best defined by the British.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Worth remembering there are two NZ 'identities': Aucklanders, and all the other kind.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Slavvy posted:

Worth remembering there are two NZ 'identities': Aucklanders, and the other crap one

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnCd1znHGp0

neat

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

For those of us still here, I know you can learn Te Reo for free through AUT and probably other institutions. I have friend who have done it and say it is very good.

I study after work through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa which is the biggest native tertiary institution in the world. It's free and kick rear end. You get to hang out with a bunch of good people once a week and it's free all the way through (so you can get a masters / PhD equivalent for free).

It's incredibly laid back and way better than uni learning. Highly recommend giving it a go, it's helped heaps with building relationships with the whānau I work with and also just understanding the history of this country.

Surprise surprise they are always having their funding cut back too.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I had to explain Ponga Fences to someone the other day and had the thought that that'd probably be the only thing I'd get NZ nostalgia over if I saw it overseas

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Was checking my phone coming up Queen Street from Britomart at about 5:20ish, Gucci was opening up and there was a line going right down about 30 metres, all Chinese tourists. Everyone walking by looked pretty bemused at the whole thing.

Which was pretty funny, seeing as I was trying to browse the China.jpg thread at the time.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I walked past at about 3.30, and they were still there when I walked back at 6. Bemusing is definitely the word I'd use.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

It's a pretty sad feeling when you realise most of the things New Zealanders regard as cultural identity are either shared or hotly contested with another country.

What would you say is NZ's national food?
If you're overseas and you want to make a good old kiwi dish to share with your new mates what is your go-to choice?

Fish 'n' chips and pies are British. Pavlova is argued over with Aussies. What else is there?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Laverna posted:

It's a pretty sad feeling when you realise most of the things New Zealanders regard as cultural identity are either shared or hotly contested with another country.

What would you say is NZ's national food?
If you're overseas and you want to make a good old kiwi dish to share with your new mates what is your go-to choice?

Fish 'n' chips and pies are British. Pavlova is argued over with Aussies. What else is there?

We don't have one, our speciality is producing good quality primary ingredients. Then we needed immigrants to come here and show us what could actually be done with the amazing food we produced, because before that entire aisles of the supermarket were dedicated to watties baked beans.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGNojuvyBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Puha and pork, although I imagine preparing it overseas you're going to do some substitutions. Not that it would greatly affect the quality of the dish.

• Locked thread