Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Paging Das Volk: http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/chiptuning-alone-hasnt-done-anything-to-an-engine-since-1744606642
That part at 7:05.
Remember when you bought all that Dinan stuff for the M3 and it didn't do a drat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Previa_fun posted:

I pulled out the G27 tonight and loaded up Assetto Corsa for a few virtual laps around the Nurburgring in the Alfa Mito. Not fast by any means but hell of a lot of fun. Mostly because it's one of the few cars in the game I can actually drive well. :v:

Holy hell is AC murder on my CPU though. After half an hour of playing my CPU fan had ramped up to 6K RPM and the temp was hovering around 70C. :stare: It's a space heater of a CPU anyway (X6 1100T) and the stock cooler is probably all kinds of plugged up with dust.

On the up side, the new GPU allows me to turn on all the pretties.

Depending on which temp sensor software you use, the CPU temperature may be reading high, as much as 10C. I've fitted a huge-rear end Scythe cooler with a 120mm fan to my 1100T, that seems to keep it under control while also being very quiet.

I'm probably going to upgrade my aging GTX 460 for a 970 or something if there are any good offers on Black Friday or the Christmas sales.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm frustrated.

A longtime friend of mine is in a really bad funk. She's prone to depression, but generally her meds, and support of friends/family, have kept her from falling really deep into the hole.

Last night she sent her daughter to stay with her ex (daughter's father), and was in bad shape. Her husband texted me today and said she's not any better. The fact that she sent her daughter to stay with her ex husband throws up a lot of red flags - they're still on decent terms, but she has full custody, and sent her away for at least a week. I spent several hours with her the other day, and the stuff she was saying had me convinced she really needs professional help ASAP.

Given the meds she's on (partly due to health problems, partly due to depression + anxiety), I'm really thinking she needs to be admitted into a psychiatric hospital, at least for a few days. She has fantastic insurance, and I've called around to a few places - all of them accept her insurance, and obviously want her there right now. I just don't know how to approach the topic with her. Her last experience in such a setting resulted in a rape, so she has good reason to be distrustful of the health care system.

So, I guess this is a plea for "how do I tell one of my best friends that she needs to go to a nut house for a few days?"

:smith:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Happy Thanksgiving, Amerigoons.

some texas redneck posted:

Her last experience in such a setting resulted in a rape, so she has good reason to be distrustful of the health care system.

Jesus CHRIST.

I don't know what to tell you. :smith:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Casechat: my Corsair Carbide 540 is hot poo poo. Or, more appropriately, cool. :whatup: It also fits their big 2x140mm CPU radiator perfectly.

Its insane how much easier computers have gotten even since I started building about 15 years ago.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
happy thanksgiving

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Waiting at the airport to be picked up by the inlaws. They've known our flight for six weeks. We've waited for an hour and a half now.

This, and a whole string of similar situations, or stories about these, lead be to believe that no one in that family has ever uttered the words: "hey, maybe the clever thing to do would be..."

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

as the saying goes, dip your pen in the company ink

i got gatekept by one of her friends but I got this

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

You Am I posted:

I remember the days of flashing 486 and Pentium BIOSes where you needed a DOS boot disk, hope you have the correct revision of motherboard (because the motherboard manufacturers websites were Engrish as gently caress) and a few Hail Marys

Hell, I still have a USB diskette drive kicking around for doing bios/firmware upgrades on servers. And I was doing that around 2006-2009ish. I always had that diskette drive, a cisco serial cable and a serial to usb converter in my laptop bag.

Also, gently caress UEFI bios on server boards, such a loving pain in the rear end to deal with. And server boards not having a way to skip the memory tests on boot. Usually isn't a big deal, but when the machine has 768GB of RAM, it makes the boot time a little slow. It gets really old having a ~5 minute post time when you are rebooting a machine multiple times to setup and troubleshoot a PXE boot issue.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My thanksgiving weekend has officially started you jerks! Next week the basement will finally be done after many thousands of :10bux: and I can finally do something automotive related. Going to look at getting a family hauler and I think I'm set on finding an Ecoboost Flex. The wife doesn't seems as thrilled but she will be. It's better than a van.

I was sad to find out they stopped making the ecoboost flex, since that was going to be my go to car when we outgrow our tdi sportwagen. Granted now I am probably stuck with the VW, which sucks since 90% of the time we drive it is in the city and a all electric car is starting to look really tempting. I wish the i3 wasn't so stupid looking, but I think I am still going to go test drive one.

Speaking of electric BMW's, I saw a i8 on the road for the first time the other day. The guy saw me looking at it at a red light and stood on it when the light went green. Those things are quick off the line.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Turkey! Turkey! Turkey!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So much turkey.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It would appear that I can leave a spare set of Land Rover wheels to marinade behind my shed for a year, then put them on ebay and sell them for... 260% of what I paid for them. :wtc:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I drank too much

Then I ate too much

Then I ate some more

God bless america

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Almost time to eat and everything smells sooooo good.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So full I am gonna barf.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"We're leaving for your grandparents place at noon, don't be late!"

Arrive at 12:01: "you're late!"

Parents don't finish getting dressed and ready to leave the house until 12:45

Still haven't eaten. So hungry. :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Built a 1960s Fiat 500 in Forza 6 with the most powerful motor you can put in it.

It does wheel stands in 4th gear :getting:

Upgraded the suspension so it would calm things down, but gets front end lift at 256km/h

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

You Am I posted:

Built a 1960s Fiat 500 in Forza 6 with the most powerful motor you can put in it.

It does wheel stands in 4th gear :getting:

Upgraded the suspension so it would calm things down, but gets front end lift at 256km/h

Does it pop the rear hatch like in Castle of Caglistro?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

Does it pop the rear hatch like in Castle of Caglistro?

This line of anime questioning and fanboyism is totally ok.

Also, Green Jacket for life. gently caress the poser red, pink and now blue jacket fans.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

THANKSGIVING NOT OVER YET AND ALREADY WE GET TO PLAY "GUNS OR FIREWORKS IN THE DISTANCE? " YAAY

GOOOOOOOOOOD BLESS AMERICA

blk
Dec 19, 2009

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I got some thanksgiving fireworks going off in my pants. Some turkey thunder, if you will.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Poultry percussion?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

bird bombs

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Guys that's fowl.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ive really been lettin' them fly

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Drinking at 830am, meal at 1pm and passed out on the couch by 2. Woke up, sat up and the wife asked if it was time for bloody marys. Watching the cowgirls get curb stomped by carolina. I get to tele-commute tomorrow. Loving life.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nice 2 interceptions in a row Romo, cripes. Maybe that now hes out they might do something. Probably not though, Carolina is a machine this year.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

Paging Das Volk: http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/chiptuning-alone-hasnt-done-anything-to-an-engine-since-1744606642
That part at 7:05.
Remember when you bought all that Dinan stuff for the M3 and it didn't do a drat?

That video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkDKqoGSdU) owns really really hard. Thank you for posting it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

No wins without Finns.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Also I nominate Newton for the lamest end zone dance of the year, that poo poo was terrible, haha.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm not sure how long it's going for, but here's the MST3K Thanksgiving Marathon.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit. Some twat decided "oh, two lanes turn, I'm in the inside lane, that means I can go all the way to the outside lane! :downsgun:"

*crunch* went the Saturn.

Guy got out swearing I was "following too close" (I was in the next lane, and the intersection was clearly marked as 2 left turn lanes, with a stripe showing the path you're supposed to follow through the intersection) and that it was my fault. Witness stopped and gave me her info (and only me, she wouldn't talk to the other guy), other guy kept trying to say he really needed to go and didn't want to wait for the police.

The look on the other guy's face when I pulled out the dashcam and played the video for the cop.... priceless. The rear end chewing he got from the cop when he tried to tell the cop I "was too close" was better.

It looked like just bumper damage at first, but now that I've gotten home and had a better look, the entire front clip looks like it's been shifted over slightly, and the hood isn't sitting level. :saddowns: He clipped the corner of my bumper, right where the metal support beam is, so it's possible that was enough to force everything over a bit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 27, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Holy crap that last slice of pie really did me in...

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamnit. Some twat decided "oh, two lanes turn, I'm in the inside lane, that means I can go all the way to the outside lane! :downsgun:"

*crunch* went the Saturn.

Guy got out swearing I was "following too close" (I was in the next lane, and the intersection was clearly marked as 2 left turn lanes, with a stripe showing the path you're supposed to follow through the intersection) and that it was my fault. Witness stopped and gave me her info (and only me, she wouldn't talk to the other guy), other guy kept trying to say he really needed to go and didn't want to wait for the police.

The look on the other guy's face when I pulled out the dashcam and played the video for the cop.... priceless. The rear end chewing he got from the cop when he tried to tell the cop I "was too close" was better.

It looked like just bumper damage at first, but now that I've gotten home and had a better look, the entire front clip looks like it's been shifted over slightly, and the hood isn't sitting level. :saddowns: He clipped the corner of my bumper, right where the metal support beam is, so it's possible that was enough to force everything over a bit.

Sorry to hear that STR. I hope he had insurance. Sounds like it needs some body work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

He has Geico. :sigh: So it's going to be a pain in the rear end. And I don't have accident forgiveness on my policy, if for some hosed up reason insurance decides I was partially at fault.

Click if you want to see a fender bender.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our first stop was at 1pm, they had 40 people and enough for for 25 so I barely got any drat turkey. Then all my mom made was desserts and poo poo. I got hosed out of my thanksgiving!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Enourmo posted:

christ alright i found the cmos button and now it seems to boot fine. gfoddammit that was a scare.

still having the original "not waking from sleep" issue i posted about but i guess now it'll have to wait til after thanksgiving because we're hosting and preparations have now Officially Started.

i just want my loving computer to work ffs.

oh boy

now it powers up the way i want it

but somehow during this whole fiasco my graphics card is now acting funky

went from 150fps uncapped to an average of 30 on War thunder, even going down from "movie" to "high", and fallout 4 is back to being nigh unplayable

cpu and ram usage look perfectly fine, ditto gram but gpu-z shows the GPU load at a constant 99% which strikes me as not notmal

why won't it loving end

on the upside while i was trying different pci power cables to see if that was the issue, i took the opportunity to perform some cable management inside the case. so that's something at least.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Rhyno posted:

I got hosed out of my thanksgiving!

On the floor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Romo's back! And he's playing for the Panthers!

• Locked thread