Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

KingKapalone posted:

I know people here seem to bash it, but it's also ranked very high on BGG and Reddit. It's also the game of the week on Reddit so there are a lot of opinions on it, most of them positive.

As best as I can tell, people fawn over Dead of Winter because:

A). It has flossy production values.

B). It has zombies.

C). It bills itself as a traitor game (despite the fact that the traitor elements are poorly implemented).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

I think. I don't know anymore. Hengist makes me thing Rosenberg might've lost his loving marbles,

There was an interview with him on the Dice Tower from Essen. When asked about Hengist it almost seemed like he wanted to avoid talking about it and just focus on the big one he's currently working on. He made it sound like it was just some old design he gave to the publisher because they wanted some new Uwe and not like it was some game he was really passionate about.

Bad Ideas Good
Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for the responses, although it might be a bit of a negated point as Caverna went from 20+ in stock a couple of hours ago to being sold out. I was planning on buying things this weekend regardless, so I'm thinking I might go with The Gallerist and Kemet. But Tzolk'in is still available as well, and I might swap The Gallerist for that. I don't know, The Gallerist having a solo mode might keep me from doing that.

Maybe I should wait to make purchases when I'm a little more sober than I am right now.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I suffer from friends who love Dead of Winter and I've found that the pure co-op variant (throw out all secret objectives, play the hard side of the main objectives) is far more enjoyable than the "real" game. If you don't have the game I wouldn't recommend buying it though, there are many games that do what it does better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Had a great night of gaming. Played Roll for the Galaxy, Steampunk Rally, and Keyflower, all 4 players. Every game ended with a crazy close score/finish with 6 points from last to first in Keyflower, 4 points in Roll, and 3 spaces in Steampunk Rally. We also played some bad Kickstarter game called Norsaga that was a complete snorgasm. I brought Keyflower just for you Broken Loose, but you didn't show. :bahgawd:

Roll was a big hit with the 2 new players, and one of them won by rushing colonize before I could finish my produce/ship spam.

Steampunk Rally is a fantastic racing game that combines dice placement, resource management, tile laying, and drafting into a great game. There are tons of fun combos you can build with the cards and the whole thing just works really well. Whoever made the point about how fun it is to design a vehicle then strategically blow it up is spot on.

Keyflower owns, as everyone knows.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 26, 2015

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

KingKapalone posted:

I know people here seem to bash it, but it's also ranked very high on BGG and Reddit.

Picture the "average" user of either of those sites and that will tell you roughly the quality of said ranking system. People just really really want a good zombie game, and Dead of Winter was looking like it was gonna be it. I think a few tweaks and fixes could have made it good, which is almost more offensive than if it had just been a complete pile of poo poo from the get go.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

ETB posted:

Blood Rage is available at my FLGS for 20% off. Should I get it, goons?

It's good. Get it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Please sell me on Steampunk Rally. Goons keep gushing about it every once in a while, but steampunk is white mans anime, so you know.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You say that like anime is a bad thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ It is. Doubly so when it's used as a game theme, because more often than not it's marketing something bad to dribbling fanbois.

Bad Ideas Good posted:

Thanks for the responses, although it might be a bit of a negated point as Caverna went from 20+ in stock a couple of hours ago to being sold out. I was planning on buying things this weekend regardless, so I'm thinking I might go with The Gallerist and Kemet. But Tzolk'in is still available as well, and I might swap The Gallerist for that. I don't know, The Gallerist having a solo mode might keep me from doing that.

Maybe I should wait to make purchases when I'm a little more sober than I am right now.

Buy the gently caress out of The Gallerist. It is not a decision you will regret when sober.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Never change BoardGameGeek :allears:

This gem resurfaced today in the Pandemic sub-forum:

quote:

I do not understand game designers these days. Character selection needs to include enough male characters for the maximum player limit. The fact that there are only 3 male characters in this 4 player game means we are unable to play this in my all male gaming group, disappointing.

Apparently the gender distribution of the world-saving Pandemic team is still an issue, as the same guy started a poll to ask the community two questions: Whether they would prefer an even mix, all male or all female role options (or don't care) and then if people would be willing to pay for a pack of gender-swapped role cards, for which the overwhelming answer is no. What's catalysed the issue is that, apparently...

quote:

...I consistently show this game to new people and every single time a guy gets a female role he asks if he can switch roles.

Even funnier is the guy tries to pass off his insecurity as simply wanting to measure how "politically correct" the BGG forums are, and that no-one has raised the issue before because we, as gamers...

quote:

...do not want to deal with the backlash from political correct types so they give in to peer-pressure and are unlikely to be honest in this poll.

So I put it to you Goons, how do you deal with gender bias in your board games?

I for one find it very confusing. My favourite payer colour is yellow, so when I play Tales of the Arabian Nights my standee is the slave girl Zumurrud but after flipping for my sex I'm actually male? Help me goons, I'm so confused :smith:

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 26, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Trasson posted:

So, the balance is out of whack, and there's an extra round of drafting to add time, and there's no way to deal with opponents getting synergistic combos. What's the plus side?

While this is a pretty solid post and I can't dispute anything in it specifically, the 'plus side' to Leaders and Cities is that they force people into doing something different game to game to game. The number of build options in the base game is extremely limited and often tied very closely to what wonder you're playing as, and there's a real 'oh for gently caress sake that guy's going full science again?' aspect that, when combined with there only being so many general builds to go for, mean the game has a rather short lifespan before you get sick of it. Cities gives you more opportunity to directly punish people or make some really wacky (and f-f-fun!) trading combinations, and it just helps breathe a lot of life into the game. Sure, you'll have the occasional game where you're just kind of hosed, but it's not generally hard to get a reasonably decent score regardless of your draw.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zveroboy posted:

Apparently the gender distribution of the world-saving Pandemic team is still an issue, as the same guy started a poll to ask the community two questions: Whether they would prefer an even mix, all male or all female role options (or don't care) and then if people would be willing to pay for a pack of gender-swapped role cards, for which the overwhelming answer is no. What's catalysed the issue is that, apparently...

Even funnier is the guy tries to pass off his insecurity as simply wanting to measure how "politically correct" the BGG forums are, and that no-one has raised the issue before because we, as gamers...

I for one find it very confusing. My favourite payer colour is yellow, so when I play Tales of the Arabian Nights my standee is the slave girl Zumurrud but after flipping for my sex I'm actually male? Help me goons, I'm so confused :smith:

Christ what a wiener.

I admit I think it's a nice touch that Argent gives every player the option to choose between a man or a woman though it's slightly more than cosmetic as different faculty choices even within the same department give different starting spells. That said this dude is a tool and my ongoing Pandemic Legacy group comprised of three dudes and one lady has no problem rolling with teams that are made up of mostly female characters and nobody has ever complained about "having to play as a woman" or whatever. I hope more board game designers include more female characters in their games solely to piss dudes like this off.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Stelas posted:

While this is a pretty solid post and I can't dispute anything in it specifically, the 'plus side' to Leaders and Cities is that they force people into doing something different game to game to game. The number of build options in the base game is extremely limited and often tied very closely to what wonder you're playing as, and there's a real 'oh for gently caress sake that guy's going full science again?' aspect that, when combined with there only being so many general builds to go for, mean the game has a rather short lifespan before you get sick of it.

Do agree with this. I played a lot of 7 Wonders with just 3 players, so in almost every game someone would go Science, someone else would go for as many Civic (blue) cards as they, and the third would hoover up the rest, getting their points through whatever was left.

Leaders really revitalised the game for us because it just helped encourage people to play a little different each time rather than just always trying to hoard blues or greens.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I'm about to start playing Pandemic Legacy with my wife. Should we try to get more players, or is the game still good with just two?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stupid question someone asked me yesterday so insistently that he made me doubt myself. In Pandemic, infecting cities the "normal" way after you draw the card from the bottom of the infection deck when getting an Epidemic is not part of the resolution of the Epidemic card.

As in, I can play "A quiet night" to avoid drawing cards beyond the first one.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Afriscipio posted:

I'm about to start playing Pandemic Legacy with my wife. Should we try to get more players, or is the game still good with just two?
The game is actually easier with just two

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Afriscipio posted:

Tekopo just finished playing a full campaign with himself plus one iirc and he says it works fine, a bit easier even since both players start with more cards in hand.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

We did play with two characters each though then went down to 3 for the end.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ah, well that's an option too. Either way, it seems to work fine with two players and I say go for it, it's pretty good.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Stupid question someone asked me yesterday so insistently that he made me doubt myself. In Pandemic, infecting cities the "normal" way after you draw the card from the bottom of the infection deck when getting an Epidemic is not part of the resolution of the Epidemic card.

As in, I can play "A quiet night" to avoid drawing cards beyond the first one.

Yep, true. The Epidemic card is something you draw and resolve as part of "Draw 2 cards from the Player Card pile." So move the marker up, infect the bottom city, shuffle the infection cards and put them back on top.

Once that's sorted, you infect cities as per the normal method, and yes, Quiet Night will prevent this and buy you a turn to fix your horrible epidemic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lichtenstein posted:

Please sell me on Steampunk Rally. Goons keep gushing about it every once in a while, but steampunk is white mans anime, so you know.

At its heart, it's a really fun engine building racing game. The general idea is that you're a steampunk inventor building and running a vehicle that you assemble out of a hodgepodge of parts with an eye towards crossing the finish line first.

The theme shows itself in a few ways and is well executed. The card art and parts are steampunk (arachno-legs, drive wheels, boilers, dynamos, etc.), the power sources are heat, electricity and steam (with heat and electricity often being converted into steam, and rarely steam back into electricity, heat also can convert into more heat) and those power sources power the parts you stick on your machine. It's fun to assemble your machine and try to think about how it actually works as you end up with a hulking monstrosity with spider legs, a zepplin, a little unicycle wheel, a train, an auger to drill through stuff, etc. Assembling the machine is also completely free form and you are allowed to rearrange parts at any time, so AP isn't that big a deal when choosing new cards.

The basic mechanics of the game are drafting cards (4 decks, one each of three distinct part decks, one boost that can be saved for later and is a one-shot effect - place parts on machine, store boosts, or discard cards for dice/cogs), venting parts (use cogs gained through play to remove dice from your machine), using parts, and taking damage. I'll go over the last two in more detail, they're the heart and soul of the game. The whole game is played simultaneously, and any cards that affect other players are played in the venting phase, which really speeds up play.

Using parts is a hell of a lot of fun. Generally, you'll get dice either by trashing cards during drafting, or from your machine itself (some parts will do things like take 1 heat die of any face and give you 2 steam dice, or take a heat die, divide the number by 2, and then give you that many more heat dice; your inventor can also give dice). Dice are then used to activate parts. Parts with a star can accept any number (low numbers are better because they're cheaper to remove) and parts with a number want high numbers (total the dice you put in that part, divide them by the target number, you get that many activations). The trick is that once dice are used on a part, they stay there and are useless. They can only be removed in the venting phase, or by other parts that remove dice. For instance, one powerful combination is hover jets and a drive wheel. Both take steam, and the drive wheel moves you one space for every 2 pips on the die you place on it. Hover jets activate on a 5, and when activated, either repair you by one or move you by one, and always remove a blue die. You can use the hoverjets to free up the drive wheel you just used, and use the super-efficient drive wheel multiple times in one turn. I think my record for that was using the drive wheel five times in one turn, with a 6 every time (spending cogs to make my dice better). You get some cool engines running with all of the parts you add on, and can get some neat ways to use dice to get more dice to get more dice to power more stuff to use great parts multiple times, etc.

All of that talk of using parts brings us to the next phase, which is taking damage. As you scream around the track, there is terrain on the track. Running into or over mountains is hazardous to your vehicle, as you may imagine. There are a few ways to deal with that. There are safe moves, which are generally expensive and hard to trigger, but can save you a lot of damage, and there are repair abilities that restore damage to your machine. If you end the turn with negative health, then you have to lose parts from your machine. Naturally, if you make it across the finish line, you really don't care if you make it across with a functional machine, as long as you avoid exploding (losing your last part). The cool thing is, you choose which parts are destroyed, so if you have a part full of high cost dice, then it's a great candidate for blowing up since you'd have to spend tons of resources to make it usable again.

tldr: This is a race between made scientists racing to alternately build up and blow up their machines as they push them to the limit to try to scream across the finish line as fast as possible. It's a lot of fun, and the game is very dynamic as machines constantly change and have new parts added on while old parts are discarded after they're used.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zveroboy posted:

What an idiot, the girl classes are the more powerful ones in Pandemic, on average.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lichtenstein posted:

We live in a world where inventing things is hard. Going from idea to barely functional prototype takes years. Steampunk is a superscience setting: the Inventor class can have an idea and have it working by tomorrow. A game where you're building contraptions as you race them needs a setting like that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rutibex posted:

What an idiot, the girl classes are the more powerful ones in Pandemic, on average.

Affirmative action at work! :freep:

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Zveroboy posted:

Something something Pandemic Patriarchy.

As a member of an all guy gaming group, this has literally never been an issue. I didn't actually realize the disparity until I read this post. Never change, internet, never change.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I love Terra Mystica even more since I got it, it has extra ziplock bags in the box, like a GMT wargame :swoon:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

I love Terra Mystica even more since I got it, it has extra ziplock bags in the box, like a GMT wargame :swoon:

Are they as microscopically small useless baggies GMT packs in, or decently sized ones?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

They are pretty big, I was very impressed

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zveroboy posted:

I mean, either he's trolling or *really* dedicated to this problem.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1384299/lack-gender-choice-character-classes-deal-breaker

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Zveroboy posted:

I've never played Pandemic but I normally have the opposite problem to this guy. Old games especially often only have one or no female characters.

There's no actual effect on gameplay and I don't have a problem playing a guy character, but I'll normally go for the girl character if there is one. It makes me sad when a game doesn't have a fair gender ratio. :(
(I always played the Prophetess in games of Talisman as a kid, cause she was pretty much the only girl. Also OP. But mainly was a girl.)

Also my favourite player colour is blue or green, so that doesn't help either.

Wait, is he upset that there's one female character in the game and none of his loser friends wants to play as a girl? Really?
Man, what an rear end in a top hat.

Laverna fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 26, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lichtenstein posted:

Are they as microscopically small useless baggies GMT packs in, or decently sized ones?

They're actually really large, much larger than you need. I kind of want to buy some smaller ones because I am a crazy weirdo and ALL MEIN BAGGIES MUST BE PERFECT FIT.

Anyway.

Rutibex posted:

I literally have no idea how my group would survive month-to-month without our medic and her ability to Treat Disease at a distance. It has pulled our rear end out of the fire on multiple occasions, clearing entire regions in a single turn that would've otherwise caused epidemic chains.

But then she's a girl so of course she plays the girl roles, that's how it works right?

So I live in Canada (Ottawa, specifically) and as such all these posts about sweet US board game shops and their awesome deals make me sad. What are some good Canadian board game stores that have good/free shipping and prices? I mean, I don't mind heading to Toronto every now and then to see a friend and stock up on games, but if I could get the latest board game de jeu in a quick order online, that'd be great.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Being on something awful, you guys really should have a better eye for trolling. I mean even the BGG people in that discussion point out the dude made the exact same thread for several different games in the same day.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

At my local board game night I tried out a Thunderbirds board game which was pretty fun. It's a co-op game similar to Pandemic, but Thunderbirds themed so I'm buying a copy for my dad.
Apart from Hanabi I don't really have many games like that in my collection, can anyone here tell me some other co-op game must-haves?

Also at the game store I saw a game called Celestia, which looked pretty cute. Kind of a steampunk treasure hunting game? Is it worth buying?

While I'm asking questions I guess I could just ask for some general recommendations too.
I do most of my board game shopping every time I'm in Europe so I prefer to get games that don't have a heavy language requirement since I often buy them in Germany and take them back to play with my english-speaking friends. (But I can order english ones online when I get home too, so if there are ones with language dependancy just mention it)
Are there any new games that have come out in the past few years that I should consider getting?

Games like Dixit or Ticket to Ride (aka Zug um Zug, as my copy is called) are pretty great for multilingual groups.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Being on something awful, you guys really should have a better eye for trolling. I mean even the BGG people in that discussion point out the dude made the exact same thread for several different games in the same day.

Hey, some people really get bothered when their wizard troll starfighter pilot avatar breaks their immersion by being a girl.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Megasabin posted:

On the other hand, it is the internet.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Megasabin posted:

I know a guy from a meetup who whined about having to play a girl. I know this is free from other context and you weren't there but I can only assure you he was not joking and was a complete weiner about it in the most "jfc how the gently caress old are you again?" kind of way.

Maybe that BGG guy is trying to honeypot dorkbags because that attitude actually exists in at least one local person and isn't even necessarily kept politely/shamefully to oneself when among strangers apparently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Laverna posted:

Also at the game store I saw a game called Celestia, which looked pretty cute. Kind of a steampunk treasure hunting game? Is it worth buying?

Celestia is more gaslamp fantasy than steampunk. Players take it in turns to captain an airship between floating cities. The longer the ship travels without running into a hazard the captain can't get around, the more valuable the treasure you get if you stay aboard, but if it turns out the captain can't deal with the hazards the ship crashes and everyone on board gets nothing. If you don't want to take the risk you can get off and settle for less treasure. The hazards are determined by dice rolls and handled by playing the correct cards, but you only get one new card per journey. There are also other cards that let you kick people off the ship, collect treasure even if the ship crashes or gently caress with the hazards if you got off too early.

It's a good little filler that plays six players in 30 minutes. If the price suits you, buy it.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

So, someone on boardgamegeek offered to trade me mage knight + lost legion for my copy of Pret A Porter. I'm definitely interested in Mage Knight, and I know Lost Legion is hard to find, but Mage Knight is readily available. How much does Lost Legion add? Is it something I'd want to add anytime soon if I'm learning Mage Knight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mister Sinewave posted:

I know a guy from a meetup who whined about having to play a girl. I know this is free from other context and you weren't there but I can only assure you he was not joking and was a complete weiner about it in the most "jfc how the gently caress old are you again?" kind of way.

Maybe that BGG guy is trying to honeypot dorkbags because that attitude actually exists in at least one local person and isn't even necessarily kept politely/shamefully to oneself when among strangers apparently.

Huh I just realized that my Pandemic team was three ladies (scientist, generalist, medic) that were being piloted around by my dispatcher, "Hacker Jim". HA! Patriarchy wins again!

This complaint is really bizarre given the fact that there's nothing at all in the game about roleplaying or whatever. There aren't any figurines representing women, there aren't any mentions of gender, you don't really 'play' your character beyond the abilities they have. Maybe, maybe, in a setting that had heavy roleplaying elements, this might have some merit (no it wouldn't it's still retarded) but in a game like Pandemic, that's ridiculous.