Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
Rothfuss held another AMA on Reddit, and instead of having a prepared statement like his oh so clever conversation with himself last time, he told people to Google it when they asked about the third book, and then complained that the AMA felt dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Torrannor posted:

That's my thought exactly. His "Final Book" turned out to be three separate books after all, because neither he nor Brandon Sanderson could fit the climax of the series into just one book. I can't see how Rothfuss will manage this with Doors of Stone.

And of course, both are/were prone to incredible long waiting times between books.

Jordan actually put out his books on a good schedule for most of the series. Near the end I think he slowed down as things started getting messy with the pacing, and then he, you know, died. But he was good at turning out near 1k page books every couple of years for like a decade

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Aquarium Gravel posted:

Rothfuss held another AMA on Reddit, and instead of having a prepared statement like his oh so clever conversation with himself last time, he told people to Google it when they asked about the third book, and then complained that the AMA felt dead.

Something Rothfuss wrote was a depressing let down you say? :monocle:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Just read Lord of the Rings again, you fuckers."

Just read Lord of the Rings again, you fuckers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Benson Cunningham posted:

Looks like old man Roth did an AMA on reddit. It's fairly depressing to read. His tone jumps back and forth between depression and outrage at the world.

He also refused to comment on book three. He then insinuated that people who care more about it than his charity are poo poo heels.

Never change Pat.

lol

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Looks like old man Roth did an AMA on reddit. It's fairly depressing to read. His tone jumps back and forth between depression and outrage at the world.

He also refused to comment on book three. He then insinuated that people who care more about it than his charity are poo poo heels.

Never change Pat.

I just assumed he fucks with the charity meter.

picklefish
Aug 7, 2013

Dienes posted:

Or he's being jerked off by the same people who enjoyed his novella. lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dienes posted:

Jesus loving christ

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
If anyone wants to know why a majority of us are still here, it's because watching a man devolve into insanity is really entertaining.

picklefish
Aug 7, 2013

If anyone wants to know why a majority of us are still here, it's because watching a man devolve into insanity is really entertaining.

him freaking out about the fallout 4 distress signal where the mom and kid were already dead for 100 years and shutting off stream was so good. give me more.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

picklefish posted:

him freaking out about the fallout 4 distress signal where the mom and kid were already dead for 100 years and shutting off stream was so good. give me more.

Was he freaking out because it was better writing than anything he's ever published?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

picklefish posted:

I pulled up a few videos of the stream. His mouth hangs open more than Jon Snow.

Edit: He also bitches so much the entire time about the writing and story of the game I'm suspecting the people 'howling' for book three are selecting Fallout 4 to punish him.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 29, 2015

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Maybe he was just dumbfounded that the writing for FO4 is going to be about the same that he did/is doing for the new Torment game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was he freaking out because it was better writing than anything he's ever published?
Ouch. That one hurts, man.

pakman posted:

Maybe he was just dumbfounded that the writing for FO4 is going to be about the same that he did/is doing for the new Torment game.
Don't. loving. Remind me. That was one way to deflate hype.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

pakman posted:

:stonk:

picklefish
Aug 7, 2013
http://www.twitch.tv/patrickrothfuss "Patrick Rothfuss streams Writing Book Three - Dec 3rd."

Edit: whoops. he literally turned off stream within a minute of me posting this.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

picklefish posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/patrickrothfuss "Patrick Rothfuss streams Writing Book Three - Dec 3rd."

Edit: whoops. he literally turned off stream within a minute of me posting this.

I like how it went from "Writing book 3 versus Fallout 4" to "Fallout 4 versus something besides Fallout 4."

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Dienes posted:

I like how it went from "Writing book 3 versus Fallout 4" to "Fallout 4 versus something besides Fallout 4."

Writings hard man

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I skimmed the video of his Writing Book 3 stream...from what I can gather it's a video of his teacup for two hours.

He started the "game or write" donation contest on November 12 and December 3 was the first time Book got more donations than Fallout, but after the two hour "whoops I can't put anything worth showing on camera" stream that evening it switched to Fallout vs Anything But & it's been a closer matchup.

I just binged through Rothfuss' work in the past couple weeks. It wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed all of it, and I didn't have nearly the issues everyone in here did with the main hangups (sex ninjas, boning of Felurian).

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

oldskool posted:

I skimmed the video of his Writing Book 3 stream...from what I can gather it's a video of his teacup for two hours.

He started the "game or write" donation contest on November 12 and December 3 was the first time Book got more donations than Fallout, but after the two hour "whoops I can't put anything worth showing on camera" stream that evening it switched to Fallout vs Anything But & it's been a closer matchup.

I just binged through Rothfuss' work in the past couple weeks. It wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed all of it, and I didn't have nearly the issues everyone in here did with the main hangups (sex ninjas, boning of Felurian).

Hey if you're into sex ninjas and don't mind nonsensical plot points (A literal sex god can't tell that Kvothe is a virgin), they are easy easy to read.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hey all, Pat found yet another thing to do that's not writing his bad book:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1439433

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's not that it's taking a long time to finish the book, it's that it's taking a long time to finish the book by the standards he set for himself.

why do you care though?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Because we're allowed to care about whatever the gently caress we want for basically any reason.

Murica.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

To many folks it's a situation where he can't make the right move no matter what.

If he released it in a timely manner, he'd be accused of rushing it and maybe he should have spent more time editing that old manuscript etc etc.

But instead he's taking his time and that also draws scorn even tho plenty of authors have their own little side projects too.

There's no winning move.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, we're fully expecting it to be poo poo even if he takes his time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
No, I'm pretty sure that we are past the point where we can accuse him of rushing.

Also it's hilarious of you think he's had a manuscript all this time.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Name of the wind was published in March 2007. It was billed as the first of a trilogy. The author made statements to the effect of the whole series being complete, only needing some editing.

It is December 2015.

"Why are people whining about the book not being released?"

Why indeed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dienes posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that we are past the point where we can accuse him of rushing.

Also it's hilarious of you think he's had a manuscript all this time.

I'm sure he's had some manner of first draft kicking around since the beginning. By his own admission he's basically scrapped it and started from the bare framework though.

It's like George Lucas and Star Wars. You can go back through a solid half dozen early story treatments that came before what actually became the 1977 smash hit.

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012

jivjov posted:

It's like George Lucas and Star Wars.

It is. They're both insufferable fools who read too many of their own press clippings.

Authors delaying and taking forever to deliver books is not a new thing. What gets under people's skin is that he has a heavy social media presence and every time they wonder when his next book is going to come out they find evidence of him clowning, working on side projects, doing AMAs on reddit without having anything to say about the third book, and snidely insulting people that don't rush to shower money on his charities. He just always comes off as being a condescending dick.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He also is under no obligation to work on his book 24/7. He's allowed to do things, even online/social media things, that are not "writing the third Kingkiller book"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

He also is under no obligation to work on his book 24/7. He's allowed to do things, even online/social media things, that are not "writing the third Kingkiller book"

People are also allowed to bitch about it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

People are also allowed to bitch about it.

Bitch about the guy keeping regular job hours on his profession? Sure. But it just makes you seem like as big an rear end as Rothfuss is accused of being.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Bitch about the guy keeping regular job hours on his profession? Sure. But it just makes you seem like as big an rear end as Rothfuss is accused of being.

Sounds like Rothfuss is really bad at time management if he can't get a single book out in four years while working regular job hours on it.

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012

jivjov posted:

As far as his publisher is concerned he may actually be contractually obligated to deliver the third book on some kind of timeline but I wouldn't know. As far as I'm concerned he's not obligated to do anything and I could not care less whether he ever finishes it. I get more entertainment out of seeing examples of his narcissistic personality disorder trickle into this thread than I could ever get out of reading the third book.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Diamir posted:

As far as his publisher is concerned he may actually be contractually obligated to deliver the third book on some kind of timeline but I wouldn't know. As far as I'm concerned he's not obligated to do anything and I could not care less whether he ever finishes it. I get more entertainment out of seeing examples of his narcissistic personality disorder trickle into this thread than I could ever get out of reading the third book.

I think if he is soliciting donations with promises of a book, he probably should deliver the book at some point.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Andrast posted:

Sounds like Rothfuss is really bad at time management if he can't get a single book out in four years while working regular job hours on it.

The maths behind this is fascinating by the way.

DISCLAIMER - This is art, so obviously these formulas are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. But they might give you a little insight into how bad at time management he could be. Also, as I point out, the man runs a charity. Hes a good person. Doesn't change...

THE MATHS

Assume that our subject Mr. P. Rothfuss writes full time 5 days a week. Assume for now that he takes no time off at all and works the job all year round. In march 2016 He will have been working on this book for a whole five years. Lets disregard the fact that he claims to have written some of this before WMF was released.

Name of the Wind is 259, 000 words long. Wise Mans Fear is 399,000 words long.

In order to write 259,000 words in five years he would have to produce the equivalent of 4,317 edited words in a month. 399,000 words would be 6,650 edited words a month. Just for fun, assuming DoS is a behemoth at 800,000 words would require 13,334 edited words per month.

But the man has a family and runs a charity. Lets knock off two months every year and assume he works full time ten months of the year.

To write 259,000 words in five years with charity and holiday he would need to write 5,180 edited words a month. 399,000 would be 7,980 edited words a month. 800,000 words would be 16,000 edited words a month.

For comparison - successful participants of NaNoWriMo manage to write 50,000 unedited words in a month (about 1,667 a day) on top of their normal jobs. I've done this once. These are unedited of course.

Just for fun, assuming he wrote at a pace equivalent of NaNoWriMo for ten months of the year for the five years he would have written 2.5 million unedited words by march 2016.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If his publisher wasn't cool with him taking his time on the last book, then they'd have forced his hand by now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Andrast posted:

Heck, he released *a* book last year!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Srice posted:

Heck, he released *a* book last year!

And we all wish he'd spent that time playing fallout instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Lottery of Babylon posted:

And we all wish he'd spent that time playing fallout instead

To be honest I wish that whenever I masturbated I ended up with a book that I could sell.

• Locked thread