Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's a survey up about Project Cars. I say survey, it's about 45 polls on a webpage instead of being a survey monkey thing like literally everyone else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5isSt9fhblA

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Anybody up for some movie talk?

I watched Grand Prix on Blu Ray this weekend and found that the 3 hour runtime just flew by despite a rather thin plot that's only there to glue together the race footage. So much awesome 60s Monaco and Spa. Then I read up on the production and found out that they had 27 reels of Nürburing footage already shot and due to license reasons had to hand them over to another movie which didn't actually get made and morphed into Le Mans.

Anyway, what are some other good racing movies? Leaving aside the ridiculous stuff like Too Fast and good car but non-racing movies like Vanishing Point. And don't say Driven.

Grand Prix
Le Mans
Rush

Maybe some documentaries?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

1 is good, documentary on safety in F1 narrated by Michael Fassbender. Obligatory Senna mention.

And comedy Days of Thunder option :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Weekend of a Champion

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

2nd for days of Thunder the way to win at oval races at plate tracks is shift 15 times in a lap and press the gas a bunch.

Edit, senna also senna

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Senna is a great documentary and I believe it's still on Netflix.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
You should watch Driven

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

IceAgeComing posted:

You should watch Driven

What did I tell you? Don't. Say. Driven. Didn't I? Specifically tell you to not say Driven? Go to your room and think about what you did.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

osker posted:

The negative and positive correspond to what your wheel thinks the positive direction is. If your hardware designer was not an animal, counterclockwise should be the positive direction.

LoL that makes sense as to why when I'd turn, it would force feedback me into turning sharper. It was like the most ridiculous negative caster forklift race

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

While not a racing movie per se, the ending of the 90s Little Rascals movie kept me on the edge of my seat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GhostDog posted:

Anybody up for some movie talk?

I watched Grand Prix on Blu Ray this weekend and found that the 3 hour runtime just flew by despite a rather thin plot that's only there to glue together the race footage. So much awesome 60s Monaco and Spa. Then I read up on the production and found out that they had 27 reels of Nürburing footage already shot and due to license reasons had to hand them over to another movie which didn't actually get made and morphed into Le Mans.

Anyway, what are some other good racing movies? Leaving aside the ridiculous stuff like Too Fast and good car but non-racing movies like Vanishing Point. And don't say Driven.

Grand Prix
Le Mans
Rush

Maybe some documentaries?

Not cars but the MotoGP docs series "Faster" is pretty incredible. If F1 drivers were Soccer players, MotoGP riders would be Rugby players.

The latest movie, just released is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmT_vnJ1jzw

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh Dorna, never stop failing to grasp how new media works. :allears:

(they flagged the video to not play while embedded)

But yes, their movie series is phenomenal. Watch all of them, not just the newest one. Can't loving wait for the one for the 2015 season.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dust To Glory is on Netflix and is a documentary about the Baja 1000. It includes segments about the buggie, truck, bike and bug classes.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Closer To The Edge if you want to spend almost two hours making this face :stonk:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://youtu.be/iRWp9rhfS_0

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would argue that the Top Gear Africa Special counts as a movie. It's nearly two hours.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Africa one wasn't very good though. :colbert:

The Botswana and Bolivia ones were their high water mark.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Africa owned. India was the bad one.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

The Africa one wasn't very good though. :colbert:

It was certainly hit or miss on the entertainment value, but had plenty of hilarious moments and had some great scenery shots as Top Gear is always good at.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

GhostDog posted:

What did I tell you? Don't. Say. Driven. Didn't I? Specifically tell you to not say Driven? Go to your room and think about what you did.

What are you talking about? I see no problem with using F1 cars for streetracing. They just have their own interpretations of the laws of physics, you know. :v:

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
Has anyone played DiRT Rally with the new build of Windows 10? I think it fixed the infamous microstuttering issue, seeing a buttery 130fps

It's like I can drive again

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

conversation piece posted:

Has anyone played DiRT Rally with the new build of Windows 10? I think it fixed the infamous microstuttering issue, seeing a buttery 130fps

It's like I can drive again

That's interesting if it has because the devs have been trying to figure that issue out for months. Also I drove Imola in Assetto Corsa for the first time and man that start/finish stretch is bumpy as hell.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

njsykora posted:

That's interesting if it has because the devs have been trying to figure that issue out for months. Also I drove Imola in Assetto Corsa for the first time and man that start/finish stretch is bumpy as hell.

I've also posted in the steam thread multiple times. Someone posted after me with positive results for a different reason.

They said some people were getting a test build to fix it early, but I don't think I was one of them

Odd thing is, I've had it come and go multiple times from 0.4-0.7 then 0.9. Supposedly this also happens in their other titles. :iiam:

Edit: really though, when it's running like this it almost feels like cheating with how responsive it is

Double edit: how much driving have yall done? I just rolled over 6,000km, 207 events finished

conversation piece fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 24, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

conversation piece posted:

I've also posted in the steam thread multiple times. Someone posted after me with positive results for a different reason.

They said some people were getting a test build to fix it early, but I don't think I was one of them

Odd thing is, I've had it come and go multiple times from 0.4-0.7 then 0.9. Supposedly this also happens in their other titles. :iiam:

Edit: really though, when it's running like this it almost feels like cheating with how responsive it is

Double edit: how much driving have yall done? I just rolled over 6,000km, 207 events finished

Yeah it's been a long term issue and a few people from the Codemasters forums get beta builds with attempted fixes. I've driven about 3000km but it's something I go to for a long time then leave alone for a bit like most racing games. You should come hang out in the Dirt Rally thread and also join the goon league if you haven't already.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
pCars, Dirt Rally and SCE are on sale on Steam.

First one to PM me an email adress gets a copy of SCE.

Edit: CaseFace wins :)

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 25, 2015

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

pCars, Dirt Rally and SCE are on sale on Steam.

First one to PM me an email adress gets a copy of SCE.

Sent.

My button box is waiting on my front porch, time to go increase my immersion

E: thanks GhostDog! See you out on the track. I've been wanting to try SCE for quite a while, I'll be getting some laps in this weekend.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 25, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Tell me if you actually got it, it's still in my gift library. I never sent directly to an email before, so I don't know if that's normal...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Tell me if you actually got it, it's still in my gift library. I never sent directly to an email before, so I don't know if that's normal...

I got a confirmation email that I received it, but it'll be a few hours before I can download it. Maybe it'll stay in your library until I redeem it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, I just noticed the tiny text indicating that I actually already gifted it. Don't forget to download CART Extreme!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Assetto Corsa and both dream packs are also on sale. Gonna grab DP1 here I think. Formula Truck is also on sale.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How is formula truck? Part of me says wood more racing.. the other part of me says.. but I spend a damned huge amount of time with irscing and I own rfactor and played it for 1 hr because all my time is in iracing.

The other part says it's 10bux.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tater_salad posted:

How is formula truck? Part of me says wood more racing.. the other part of me says.. but I spend a damned huge amount of time with irscing and I own rfactor and played it for 1 hr because all my time is in iracing.

The other part says it's 10bux.

Formula Truck is Stock Car Extreme but with just trucks. Big trucks. Reiza are likely going to include said trucks in their SCE replacement next year though so probably worth waiting for that.

But also, big trucks. Racing.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

njsykora posted:

Assetto Corsa and both dream packs are also on sale. Gonna grab DP1 here I think. Formula Truck is also on sale.

I couldn't play Assetto Corsa without Nordschleife, just so good. Got DP2 because I really like lambo, though I honestly was hoping they'd have an Aventador or something as well. Countach was a favorite growing up though and that Hurcana is drat fast.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would've bought the DP2 because I love Catalunya and want more of the cars in it but I can only afford one right now and DP1 is more expensive normally. Need to go on an extended session driving the quattro around the Nordschleife at some point. Also christ that free R8 they added is loving fast. Has a new tire model on it too which supposedly is a little slower to heat up, a couple of people are complaining that it's dropped their lap times because they don't have enough grip.

Sim racing, it's always too much grip or not enough.

Also the new Inside Sim Racing showed this guy who's basically got a projector set up as his screen and has his cockpit kind of wedged into a hole at the bottom so the display fits perfectly for cool looking Youtube videos.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 26, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
This weekend you can get all current R3E content for €50.

And on the subject of R3E, while content and AI are really good, I'm disappointed with a lack of improvement regarding the boaty driving feeling, did anyone give the 2015 DTM a try and does it improve things?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

This weekend you can get all current R3E content for €50.

And on the subject of R3E, while content and AI are really good, I'm disappointed with a lack of improvement regarding the boaty driving feeling, did anyone give the 2015 DTM a try and does it improve things?

They felt pretty good during the Virtual DTM Championship events, but I don't think those improvements (including the new tire model) are going to be rolled out to the older content at least until next year because they're pushing it as a reason to get the new experience packs. I don't expect R3E to get this surge of new players some people are expecting off this Everything for €50 deal because it's only the first 500 people, so it's gonna likely be hardcores grabbing what content they don't have. A lot of people are also having serious problems playing because the Sector3 servers are really spotty lately. That's before the people who bought the ADAC 2014 pack found that they need to buy those cars again if they want to race them with the new GT3 cars that got released a few days ago because they're marked as ADAC GT but not GT3.

Also I bet the TT Cup car is gonna be released the week after this deal. There's a preview video up now and it's always disappointing that the LCD dash in most R3E cars is identical.

In other news, it's not on sale but I bought GT Legends because I'm on a big old car kick and that game is so much what I want a sim racing career mode to be like. Buying cars, moving through championships, unlocking stuff etc. I understand why it's not done any more but I'm sad it's not thought of as even an option.

Also, I'm considering getting some surround sound headphones/headset for myself for christmas, anyone got any recommendations?

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 26, 2015

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

njsykora posted:

Also, I'm considering getting some surround sound headphones/headset for myself for christmas, anyone got any recommendations?

I don't have a set myself yet, but I've been recommended to buy a good set of headphones and an add-on microphone to stick to it. Massdrop regularly has mics like that with decent reviews. For the same money, you are probably getting much better sound quality than a comparable all-in-one "gaming" headset because they get crazy markups. However, the all-in-one units are much simpler to use since they don't have separate wires and such.

I've heard sketchy things about Bluetooth headsets still, I'm going to stick to wired whenever I can get a headset.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
The CSGO guys are all about using nice sennheiser headphones with a Modmic (add-on stickon mic).

Bluetooth headsets always have this minute lag induced by the Bluetooth stack.

RFwireless headsets are convenient as gently caress and I use a pair even if the sound quality isn't the best it can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-h2100-wireless-dolby-7-1-gaming-headset

here you go its good and cool thanks. (i use it its good)

• Locked thread