Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Spermy Smurf posted:

I'm a regular House.

Since neither Jameson nor Unthrottle are Werewolves, we can categorically say it's not Lupus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I remember that the Dwarf Fortress software used to be kind of stupid about awarding those sorts of kills, I'm not sure whether or not that's still the case though.

There was a fort several years back where a dwarf bled to death, and Legends mode indicated that the kill was awarded to a harpy that had died two years earlier. It turned out that this particular harpy inflicted the first bleeding wound that the dwarf had ever suffered in combat. Or something like that, I could be misremembering.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Spermy Smurf posted:

For the future: How do I see who was awarded the kill?

I don't care who gets the kill, I was thinking like a doctor who saw a patient on the ground.

"He bled to death! The missing limbs probably are the culprit."

I'm a regular House.

To see who killed Dwarf 1, press r to view reports, and check the enemy team. If Elf 1 and Human 1 both were smacking him, check both of them. Precisely one will have an entry in their report lists that says "Dwarf 1 has been struck down/bled to death/whatever"

It goes in their list, because DF says "this is the killer, this is part of his reports".

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I remember that the Dwarf Fortress software used to be kind of stupid about awarding those sorts of kills, I'm not sure whether or not that's still the case though.

There was a fort several years back where a dwarf bled to death, and Legends mode indicated that the kill was awarded to a harpy that had died two years earlier. It turned out that this particular harpy inflicted the first bleeding wound that the dwarf had ever suffered in combat. Or something like that, I could be misremembering.

Luckily, the arena is simple enough that it's fairly smart about it. Like, I've seen "mace and sword working over enemy, sword guy gets bleed-out kill". Probably still some stupidity in there, but nothing has yet to seem totally wrong.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
The game assigns kills to the last person to hit the victim. This led to fun in Bronzestabbed when the turkey beast kovest immolated the army and a bunch of the kills got awarded to some random animal man who got shanked in the caverns. This wouldn't have been so bad if the fortress engravers hadn't insisted on immortalising this historical lie on the wall of the fortress (And I believe a few statues were made of it).

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Captaindirtnap posted:

This is fighting at work. Consider them attacks of opportunity.

I know that in my head, but seeing it in the combat log is really absurd, especially when my tiny-rear end kobold is kicking off peoples' ears.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if this has been considered but some kind of 'man(thing) of the match' award might be fun. It feels like that whole match would have went off the rails were it not for Unthrottle distracting/disabling guys while her allies kept beating mostly dead horses. Wouldn't have to be worth points or anything, but could be fun bragging rights. Not sure how you'd award it though; comissioner's vote? reader vote?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Following Tarantino Film's last match, I've decided to introduce gladiator shaming.

Snarls Barkley has not made a single successful attack, caused damage or effect in a fight or done anything other than die horribly. As such she is highly deserving of the following.

I'd have put her pike in the picture, but there didn't seem to be much point. She never uses it.

The rest of my stable has been instructed to point and laugh when they see her.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Bene Elim posted:

Following Tarantino Film's last match, I've decided to introduce gladiator shaming.

Tough love. It shows that you care.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
It's a Thanksgiving Miracle!

:siren: Round 4, Fight 8 :siren:

Team Laser Explosion is on the left side of the arena.
Anthony (dasmause) is a male tigerman. He is empty handed and wears an iron helm, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
Mogwai (Dark Off) is a female gremlin. She wields an iron buckler and an iron buckler and wears no armor.
Molegrim (Maugrim) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper spear and wears a bronze helm and leather gauntlets.
Turquoise Tonic (Hihohe) is a male human. He wields a silver mace and wears a copper cap, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.

The Petting Zoo is on the right side of the arena.
Antwoman (Spermy Smurf) is a female soldier ant woman. She wields an iron large dagger, a copper large dagger, a copper large dagger, and a bronze large dagger and wears a copper mail shirt and copper greaves.
A Lost Cowman (Locomotive breath) is a male minotaur. He is empty handed and wears a silver helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, copper greaves, silver gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Simon Belmole (Ablative) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper scourge and wears a copper cap, a copper mail shirt, leather gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Stephen Harper (ChickenWing) is a male serpent man. He wields a silver war hammer and a wooden shield and wears leather gauntlets and leather high boots.

Team Laser Explosion is a 1.14 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 2411.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 2111.00 dwarfbucks for The Petting Zoo.

Charge!

Lost Cowman makes a grab at Molegrim, but is quickly denied as Molegrim stabs tells him that he’s not that kind of mole and stabs him in foot and down goes Lost Cowman. Mogwai climbs on top of Lost Cowman and thwomps him in the other foot with her buckler for good measure.

As the other combatants join the fray, Anthony scratched Antwoman in the 2nd right arm and Antwoman drops a dagger in surprise. Molegrim practices his acupuncture technique on Lost Cowman’s neck and Lost Cowman is out like a light. First dismemberment of the round goes to Stephen Harper for scratching off Molegrim’s right middle finger.

Antwoman loses another dagger as Anthony continues pulverizing her. Simon puts his scourge to use rips up Molegrim’s right hand, too bad mole don’t feel pain. Mogwai and Molegrim are racing to see who can crack open Lost Cowman’s head first. Antwoman gives in to pain as Anthony continues punching her many arms.
There are now only 2 able fighters on Petting Zoo while Laser Explosion is mostly in one piece, minus a finger.

Antwoman is the first one to become worm food when Anthony punches her in the head so hard it explode like a cheap B movie effect! Anthony is unphased from the ant ichors that showers him.
Tonic and Stephen Harper haven’t been slacking, they’ve just been slapping at each other’s hands. Anthony wastes no time and quickly jumps on top of Lost Cowman. Simon makes a swipe at him, but Anthony just throws Simon by his remaining middle finger. I guess like most cats, Anthony likes hunting birds.

Molegrim finally drills through Lost Cowman’s thick skull.
Things are looking grim for Petting Zoo , as both their previously unconscious teammate’s have been downgraded to dead meat while Laser Explosion isn’t even sweating.

Simon skids to a stop several paces northwest of where he started.
Molegrim is the tiebreaker between Stephen Harper and Tonic’s ineffectual slap fight. A stab to the hand and Stephen Harper loses his buckler. Anthony thinks that this looks like fun walks over only to get his paw smashed. hobbled for life, Anthony falls to the ground. Too little, too late though, as Stephen Harper gives in to his wounds.

Tonic may not be so great at hitting things that are awake, but he can murder napping snakemen like a pro. Another one of team Petting Zoos heads go pop.
Mogwai finally shakes off the stars from Simon’s charge earlier and begins the arduous task to get her revengence via shield smacking.

Mogwai and Tonic attempt to tenderize Simon with their blunt weapons. This goes about as well as could be expected on a mole. Anthony is content to nurse his broken paw away from combat.
Tonic jumps into the lead for most removed body parts of the match as he performs homebrew dentistry on Simon. Simon has had enough of this and flies into a berserk rage!

Unfortuneately, Simon’s accuracy goes to poo poo when he is mad. He whiffs several attacks as team Laser Explosion continue to dismantle Simon, this time they take his right hand and left thumb.

The brutalization of Simon continues until Molegrim finally strikes true and scrambles Simon’s brain matter.
That puts a bow on it.
Winners: Laser Explosion with a 4-0 show of force!

Kills:
Anthony: 1
Molegrim:2
Tonic:1

Combat Log!

Anchors fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 27, 2015

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Full disclosure, had to start that fight again after I managed to dump some magma in the middle of the brawl. Oops.

Edit: \/\/\/ Thanks, fixed.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 26, 2015

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Thanks for that, wasn't expecting a Thanksgiving fight! Just so you know you underlined Laser Explosion a couple of times when you probably wanted to bold it and left something as "tiger one" at another point.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LorrdErnie posted:

Thanks for that, wasn't expecting a Thanksgiving fight! Just so you know you underlined Laser Explosion a couple of times when you probably wanted to bold it and left something as "tiger one" at another point.

Also an " Image0048(done)"

Anyway, good fight, should have just let the magma go. I didn't bet on the Petting Zoo for some arbitrary situation to not kill the opposing team

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I wouldn't have really expected that outcome based on the equipment, but mostly because seeing a gremlin with 2 shields doesn't fill me with confidence.

But I was wrong.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Ramc posted:

I wouldn't have really expected that outcome based on the equipment, but mostly because seeing a gremlin with 2 shields doesn't fill me with confidence.

But I was wrong.

Never underestimate the RNG's determination to gently caress with your expectations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That went worse than I expected it to go. Somehow.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

clearly nobody expected the dual shield wielding mogwai :black101:

i actually did some testing with shields with various materials against different kinds of opponents.
Surprise result was that silver was worse than iron for shield bashing. (for gremlins)
basically silver shields/bucklers had a chance to fail their attack because the swing didnt have any power behind them. This was counteracted by the fact that silver has higher chance to brutalize body parts.
Meanwhile iron has lower chance to brutalize body parts but doesnt suffer from that lack of swinging power also iron shields tend to hit more often than silver.
when i pitted silver vs iron shield mogwais at each other iron shieldet ones had tendency to win with about 60% chance (more attacks connected, causing pain,nausea,windet status effects)
while silver wins were caused by body part collapses, and suffered from rng.
iron vs iron shield matches had tendency to last longer than silver vs silver matches. In fact iron matches were usually decided by which gremlin collapses first due to exhaustion.
with silver matches it was all about smashing body parts in.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Did you try copper?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I've slapped down my bets! All 16,505 worth. Feel free to laugh at some of my choices by betting against me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kill tallies updated, no changes to the top of the leaderboard.

7 kills: Chaz Steadyfist (Worse Munki), In like Flynn (Hell's Dentists).

6 kills: Stumpy (2 Chicks with dicks), Sriracha Fartstorm Returns (Worse Munki), Three Gremlins in a Blender (Spooky Scary Skeletons), Albirik the Insignificant (Worker Cooperative), Dusseldwarf (Subterranean Animists).

Onto round 5!

Tie of the round is Worse Munki versus Subterranean Animists, the leaders of Boatmurdered and Bronzestabbed divisions and indeed of the whole competition, with Worse Munki ahead of Spooky Scary Skeletons by a single point of kill difference amongst the 3-1 records.

Looking at the first round of interdivisional fights, we see some intriguing trends. Bronzestabbed, home of the overall leaders, lost every other match. Is the position of the all-dwarf Animists inflated by poor opposition? Boatmurdered, on the other hand, won three matches, only the Heavyweight Horrorshow falling short, ironically against the Animists. Gemclod and Syrupleaf ended up with honors even, 2 wins and 2 losses each, but with the Skeletons earning bragging rights over the Plump Helmets, it will be interesting to see if the Worker Cooperative can salvage Syrupleaf honor against the Gemclod leaders.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

it will be interesting to see if the Worker Cooperative can salvage Syrupleaf honor against the Gemclod leaders.

The answer is yes.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

jon joe posted:

The answer is yes.

You've barely staked over a tenth of your dorfbux on that. I've set every penny against it. Let's see which team pleases Armok more.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just realized we fight tarantino film. You know what that means?

My antwoman gets to fight someone unarmored like herself! Instead of being punched twice and dying; this will be nice!

Prepare yourself, Uma Thurman.

Uma is up top, right? I think so, last one I ran for them...

Ramc
May 4, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

You've barely staked over a tenth of your dorfbux on that. I've set every penny against it. Let's see which team pleases Armok more.

And jon joe keeps betting against arena darlings The Plump Helmets. I'm not sure you can count on his judgement.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

And jon joe keeps betting against arena darlings The Plump Helmets. I'm not sure you can count on his judgement.

You're right, clearly the quickest path to riches is to bet against me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's OK, I expect we'll lose a couple of matches, including this one. I'm pretty sure we can beat most of the other teams, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Update your fighters!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Of particular note this round is Two Chicks with Dicks versus Lightly Whipped. In particular because, as bad as Lightly Whipped is, Two Chicks with Dicks is a very lightly armored team. Though I still bet on Two Chicks with Dicks because I believe they have the skill to win, I think this is probably Lightly Whipped's best shot for their first win.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 27, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

It's OK, I expect we'll lose a couple of matches, including this one. I'm pretty sure we can beat most of the other teams, though.

Vs the Dentists is a crapshoot. I do expect that we should be good enough to make the playoffs, though.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I apologize in advance to Jon Joe for costing him 2k dwarf bucks in advance.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Anchors posted:

I apologize in advance to Jon Joe for costing him 2k dwarf bucks in advance.

You ran a fight already? Wow, that was quick!

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Holy poo poo my guy finally killed somebody
I didn't expect my build to finally work as intended

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

jon joe posted:

Of particular note this round is Two Chicks with Dicks versus Lightly Whipped. In particular because, as bad as Lightly Whipped is, Two Chicks with Dicks is a very lightly armored team. Though I still bet on Two Chicks with Dicks because I believe they have the skill to win, I think this is probably Lightly Whipped's best shot for their first win.

I'll let you know, Grimmick should now be wildly more successful so you have bet on the wrong team.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm going to make Bad Choices

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I was going to run a fight but only like 3 out of the top 20 bet leaders have placed their bets.

I'll run it a bit later maybe. I dont run fights on weekends so I wanted to get a fight or two run today.

Place those bets!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I bet all my money, and didn't update my fighter.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

I was going to run a fight but only like 3 out of the top 20 bet leaders have placed their bets.

I'll run it a bit later maybe. I dont run fights on weekends so I wanted to get a fight or two run today.

Place those bets!

Black RED FRIDAY! :black101:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You should run A furry, a farmer, and two cows vs Team Laser Explosion Mr. #2 bettor Klokwurk decided to place all his funds opposite of me.

edit: Also, it's funny, but 7 people are tied for the last spot of top 20, and are people who haven't placed bets at all. I may be hoovering up too much cash, Jazzimus Prime might need to inject additional funds just to prevent the betting system from collapsing!

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 27, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

jon joe posted:

You should run A furry, a farmer, and two cows vs Team Laser Explosion Mr. #2 bettor Klokwurk decided to place all his funds opposite of me.

edit: Also, it's funny, but 7 people are tied for the last spot of top 20, and are people who haven't placed bets at all. I may be hoovering up too much cash, Jazzimus Prime might need to inject additional funds just to prevent the betting system from collapsing!

This will just make them run it last.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

This will just make them run it last.

Eh, that's okay too. Mostly, I just want BLOOD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

jon joe posted:

Eh, that's okay too. Mostly, I just want BLOOD!

Amen! Armok demands it!