Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So am I bad for using valkyries for my reaper? Cause it seemed ok with the extra hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Lonk posted:

Sheesh and I'm seen as too negative in the thread. Nomad's rocks for tanking and has a place in the game was my point. I'm sorry I don't literally masturbate constantly to berserker's gear because I'm unable to use anything else in the game. I am well aware of how terrible the game design for raiding is and how most people in this game will never beat Vale Guardian, let alone have to worry about the other bosses.

Just pointing out that full Nomad's is overkill.

1) You could achieve all the same tanking goals successfully with just a little bit more toughness instead of full Nomad's, and
2) your team would have a better chance of clearing Vale Guardian because you're contributing more damage at the same time.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Kessel posted:

Just pointing out that full Nomad's is overkill.

1) You could achieve all the same tanking goals successfully with just a little bit more toughness instead of full Nomad's, and
2) your team would have a better chance of clearing Vale Guardian because you're contributing more damage at the same time.

It is not that I never use anything else on Gonk; Even tonight I used a Berserker's hammer to help out. I've found every time I've gone into this fight that aggro only stayed on me with nearly full Nomad's. I always carry a set of Wanderer's around and at least two of my weapons are Berserker's.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Lonk posted:

It is not that I never use anything else on Gonk; Even tonight I used a Berserker's hammer to help out. I've found every time I've gone into this fight that aggro only stayed on me with nearly full Nomad's. I always carry a set of Wanderer's around and at least two of my weapons are Berserker's.

Sorry buddy, you're just not raid ready. Post again when you have full Berserker's ascended to swap in.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Probad posted:

Sorry buddy, you're just not raid ready. Post again when you have full Berserker's ascended to swap in.

post again when im not gaye

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Rakeris posted:

So am I bad for using valkyries for my reaper? Cause it seemed ok with the extra hp.

Decimate Defenses is sort of an outlier trait for how much it lets you change your gear while still putting out competitive DPS.

The extra vitality can be helpful for letting you stand in bad poo poo to soak circles or rez if there aren't any warbanners left to drop, and you get a little bit more power back from a sharpening stone utility buff, but you can also just stay in full zerk, take Soul Eater, and live with the 80% buffed crit or whatever.

It also lets Reaper run a tank build that does pretty good damage, using Cavalier gear.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Rakeris posted:

No. Any additional crit on your gear is wasted in a group setting as you will be crit capped. Valkyrie is perfect for reaper if you go all in on it and also use the food the converts vit to ferocity. But that food is what makes it go.

Running around solo is different as you wont have outside crit increases and decimate defenses doesn't really have time to ramp up.

Also, if you share gear between classes you will just want zerkers as literally no other light class wants valk.

Edit: Sorry, it is not food it is furious maintenance oil.

SansWetware fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 26, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dreggon posted:

post again when im not gaye

This is not a post.

Aug 24, 2011

my raids require full legendary armor and i don't invite anybody because raids are stupid

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
This reminds me of the time I posted my minion necro build and everyone just bitched minions were useless trash then suddenly they wanted my build when I started kicking rear end at PvP with it, the same exact build. I also recall pointing out minions kept getting better and better in the HoT beta with Reaper and no one particularly cared because minions were once again trash!

So yeah gently caress advice, gently caress helping anyone out let's just circlejerk over dumb puns about birds and cole slaw, our pretty princess pics and elitist views of what stats matter and how any variation just drags everyone else down and welp you're a bad person. Every time I've tanked in the raid I've been praised for it so far but cool thanks for being dicks about my post I thought might be just a little interesting or helpful and making me feel lovely, as if I completely wasted my time and effort.

:suicide:

Goons kill this game for me far more than Arenanet's questionable decision-making process ever will.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

The people pointing out problems with builds are also trying to be helpful.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And as someone who also ran a lot of minion necromancer pre-buff, their usefulness skyrocketed when arena net came out of the blue and fixed the pet AI to actually attack more then once every 30 seconds, then suddenly they were a damage threat and all the passives that triggered on their attacks were actually triggering.

And mostly just seemed to be people pointing out that in the min/max raid the gear choice wasn't the best way to min/max for said raid.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 26, 2015

Aug 24, 2011

This game is pretty fun, I like that there's still lots to do even after I hit level 60

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

You nudged me toward rolling a minion reaper if that's worth anything.

I mean, there was also the pet defense overhaul and a desire to be a minion master since GW1 but your screenshot helped!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nomad's technically does have its place. the big thing is that your stats need to be aiming for a specific purpose, and having a tanky person is one of the most important things. really the only stat combo that is poo poo is celestial's because it does nothing well. you won't even be using like 2/3rds of the stats it gives.

Aug 24, 2011

whats the best spec for going outside and doing something productive

im thinking either minion necro or ranger because they have pets, turret engi is possible but the turrets die after 5 minutes

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I heard you need special gear to go outside so I don't think you're going to find a build that works for you unfortunately.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

nomad's technically does have its place. the big thing is that your stats need to be aiming for a specific purpose, and having a tanky person is one of the most important things. really the only stat combo that is poo poo is celestial's because it does nothing well. you won't even be using like 2/3rds of the stats it gives.

Celestial Guardian can make a good tank.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Celestial_Tank

Besides that it mostly can just stick to being strong in PvP.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Your minion master build got me into playing necro, and also yielded hilarious tells from bitter players, so thanks on both counts.

Aug 24, 2011

DonVincenzo posted:

I heard you need special gear to go outside so I don't think you're going to find a build that works for you unfortunately.

i have the launch hat

tarbrush posted:

Your minion master build got me into playing necro, and also yielded hilarious tells from bitter players, so thanks on both counts.

the correct way to play pvp

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Lonk posted:

:suicide:

Goons kill this game for me far more than Arenanet's questionable decision-making process ever will.

Aug 24, 2011

that thief is pretty good tbh

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hey, Dulfy has some guides for the new raid content out. Let's see what it's like!

quote:

Unlike Vale Guardian, Gorseval is a pretty big DPS check so you will definitely want to have full ascended if possible. On this fight it is possible to have sub 1% wipes so having every bit of DPS will definitely help.

:rip:

e.
Do fatnorns count as 'big titty'? Asking for a friend.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 26, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Grain of salt etc. 1% wipes don't really say anything, they can happen due to various reasons. And "more DPS helps" has been true for MMO raids for the past decade, which is why killing the glass cannon meta was never going to happen (it's that or letting people trivialize everything by bringing too many healers/tanks to kill a boss in 30 minutes instead of 10), this is not unexpected.

If they really tuned raids to <5% enrage timers, in their game that doesn't officially support DPS metering, that would be hilarious and Anet as gently caress, though.

So precisely what I'd expect from these clowns.

Aug 24, 2011

when dps meters eventually make their way into the game some unfortunates who have been extremely satisfied with their class so far are going to be disappointed as they realise it can only do half the damage of some other class

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dreggon posted:

when dps meters eventually make their way into the game some unfortunates who have been extremely satisfied with their class so far are going to be disappointed as they realise it can only do half the damage of some other class

Pretty much, yeah.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Pretty sure Rangers have come to terms with their bottom tier damage output by now.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

SansWetware posted:

No. Any additional crit on your gear is wasted in a group setting as you will be crit capped. Valkyrie is perfect for reaper if you go all in on it and also use the food the converts vit to ferocity. But that food is what makes it go.

Running around solo is different as you wont have outside crit increases and decimate defenses doesn't really have time to ramp up.

Also, if you share gear between classes you will just want zerkers as literally no other light class wants valk.

Edit: Sorry, it is not food it is furious maintenance oil.

Nice, didn't know about the oil will have to grab some of that. Didn't even know gear sharing was a thing, so nope.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Dreggon posted:

Which is why they'll never come. DPS meters are in direct conflict with ANet's strategy of ignoring design problems until they go away.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Here is a salad engineer:

70 points away from finishing scrapper but I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up burning down the jungle with my flamethrower just yet.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Liberatore posted:

Pretty sure Rangers have come to terms with their bottom tier damage output by now.

We're the healers now! :buddy:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What's the current thread's opinion on PvP?

I'm digging it for the most part although the Elites bring in so many forms of interrupt that fights can get annoying. I am starting to really hate Reapers just because fighting 2 or more on an opposing team means I'm going to be spending 75% of the match suffering from Chill even with ample condi-cleanse. Weirdly enough I never see Tempests or Zerkers, and only the occasional Druid/Daredevil. Still the d/d Ele meta is broken, so overall it's a win. Stronghold is still pretty "eh."

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I'm digging it for the most part although the Elites bring in so many forms of interrupt that fights can get annoying. I am starting to really hate Reapers just because fighting 2 or more on an opposing team means I'm going to be spending 75% of the match suffering from Chill even with ample condi-cleanse. Weirdly enough I never see Tempests or Zerkers, and only the occasional Druid/Daredevil. Still the d/d Ele meta is broken, so overall it's a win. Stronghold is still pretty "eh."

Dragonhunters are seriously op, my favorite class only has that "you can get to points really fast" thing going for it, but other than that it's still fun.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

mind the walrus posted:

I talked a little bit about the current state of PvP in my last post. Tempests are actually quite strong and when built correctly can be both tanky and do big AOE damage, turning themselves into team-fight dreamboats. Both druids and tempests are considered "top-tier" for solo queue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I played some dragonhunter stronghold a bit lately and actually really liked it. Whoops.

Conquest is still super boring to me, I really want more game modes, maybe some capture the flag, etc

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Dorkopotamis posted:

I talked a little bit about the current state of PvP in my last post. Tempests are actually quite strong and when built correctly can be both tanky and do big AOE damage, turning themselves into team-fight dreamboats. Both druids and tempests are considered "top-tier" for solo queue.
Depends on the builds of Druid. While healer (or Crusader) Druid is nice for AoE heal (need to transform though) or sitting on cap, it can't do much more. Power Druid benefits from having multiple cc but it's more squishy due to slight lack of heal. Not to mention that Rangers generally suck at AoE damage dealing. Cele Druid works, but it's not that good in team fights. Overall, anything a Druid can do a Tempest does way better. However Druid is easy to use.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Cele druids are excellent team support/damage and decent bunkers. Sure, tempests are probably better at these things, but then you have to play a tempest.

If you want a druid that's novel and interesting, while also being viable - I'd try traps druid with apothecary stats. It's team support and AOE condi-pressure. That's a tough combination to find elsewhere.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I played some dragonhunter stronghold a bit lately and actually really liked it. Whoops.

I really like stronghold. There's no possible way to balance both it and conquest using the same classes/stats, so you can just cut loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

PvP sucks now that Courtyard is gone.

• Locked thread