Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Win more votes in general elections? Maybe.

But being less sexist and racist would get them primaried in their safe districts. They made a conscious decision to care about their jobs than about electoral success.
Republicans are only having troubles winning the presidency. They are still dominating state and local elections, and there is no real danger of them losing Congress any time soon.

My money is on them winning a Presidential election due to a bad economy during an election year or just low overall voter turnout from frustration with a deadlocked government (which tends to work in the Republicans favor) before Democrats getting both houses of Congress back.

Demographic shifts are in the Democrats favor, but it doesn't mean that the Republicans are out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

tehllama posted:

Probably everyone should read "On Various Kinds of Thinking" by James Robinson:

quote:

The Baptist missionary is ready enough to see that the Buddhist is not such because his doctrines would bear careful inspection, but because he happened to be born in a Buddhist family in Tokyo. But it would be treason to his faith to acknowledge that his own partiality for certain doctrines is due to the fact that his mother was a member of the First Baptist church of Oak Ridge.

Am I supposed to agree with this, or nod my head at this freshly revealed, sage wisdom? Because the Baptist missionary in this story sounds like they need to have the contradiction pointed out and reconciled.

I've read recently, maybe here or elsewhere, that humans don't have to be perfectly consistent in their beliefs. And frankly, I think that's ludicrous. If you have two contradictory beliefs, then you should reconcile them and change one or the other.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Inferior Third Season posted:

Republicans are only having troubles winning the presidency. They are still dominating state and local elections, and there is no real danger of them losing Congress any time soon.

My money is on them winning a Presidential election due to a bad economy during an election year or just low overall voter turnout from frustration with a deadlocked government (which tends to work in the Republicans favor) before Democrats getting both houses of Congress back.

This is especially highlighted because of Republicans' efforts on voter suppression. It's a lot harder for a poor person working two jobs to get time off to vote and time to find some approved form of ID than it is for a retiree.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

AmiYumi posted:

Did they just delete this off Facebook entirely? I wanted to see the comments shitshow and I can't find it.

If it helps, the article was posted in August, so you might have to scroll for a while.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Or people here have a better understanding of the issue and see your comments for the foolishness they are

You brag about not needing to see the larger forces at work while claiming you intrinsically understand the larger forces at work and you don't get why you are called a moron?

Enjoying your pity party?

So, I've seen several posts made by you, in the past, talking about how conservative ideology, and aspects of it, are actively harmful. I don't really understand why it is that you are being an apologist for it now.

Also, again, I'm glad you can glean absolutely everything about what I know and understand from a few low effort posts about Republicans.

People on this forum, and elsewhere, have been claiming that any day now Republicans are going to get all introspective and change their views, since 2008. Then, 2010 happened. They keep doubling down and they keep winning, over and over.

I never intended to talk about classical conservatism, or whatever it is you're so passionately defending by calling me a moron.

I'm not bragging about understanding the larger forces at work and all that. I just said I've read about them and I understand them. I just happen to have a different view of modern American conservatives and their ideology, as well as Republicans, than you, I guess. Also, I generally like to talk about the actual real end results of an ideology rather than whether or not it's theoretically correct.

But, it's cool, if I just understood conservatism I would surely not dislike it, at all. Conservatism can't fail, only be failed. Right?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Look at this nonsense. Our Divider in Chief can't even settle for a single protein at his شكرgiving dinner!

smh, Obama. s. m. d. h.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What kind of barbarians don't serve both turkey and ham?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's also an established fact that truth has a liberal bias which means democrats don't have to lie nearly as much as republicans to win over liberal voters.
The flipside being that while the truth has a liberal bias, the truth is rarely black and white and is often complex, and voters don't like complex things, and will often accept a comfortable lie over a disconcerting or hard to comprehend truth.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SedanChair posted:

Save the ham for Christmas.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, six pies? You really needed both banana and coconut cream? C'mon, Obama!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Joementum posted:

Look at this nonsense. Our Divider in Chief can't even settle for a single protein at his شكرgiving dinner!

smh, Obama. s. m. d. h.

Lookit all that liberal fancy Marie Antoinette food. I eat Armour turkey out of a can.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SedanChair posted:

Jews?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Noam Chomsky posted:

So, I've seen several posts made by you, in the past, talking about how conservative ideology, and aspects of it, are actively harmful. I don't really understand why it is that you are being an apologist for it now.

Also, again, I'm glad you can glean absolutely everything about what I know and understand from a few low effort posts about Republicans.

People on this forum, and elsewhere, have been claiming that any day now Republicans are going to get all introspective and change their views, since 2008. Then, 2010 happened. They keep doubling down and they keep winning, over and over.

I never intended to talk about classical conservatism, or whatever it is you're so passionately defending by calling me a moron.

I'm not bragging about understanding the larger forces at work and all that. I just said I've read about them and I understand them. I just happen to have a different view of modern American conservatives and their ideology, as well as Republicans, than you, I guess. Also, I generally like to talk about the actual real end results of an ideology rather than whether or not it's theoretically correct.

But, it's cool, if I just understood conservatism I would surely not dislike it, at all. Conservatism can't fail, only be failed. Right?

As I recall, there's solid evidence that on this level, people don't change their opinions; they simply die. We'd still be using leeches if the generation that first confronted germ theory didn't die off to be replaced by a generation that was interested in using new ideas to solve problems.

I actually hope it's a very long time until we find a way to become immortal. I'm literally glad to die if it means whatever stupid entrenched ideas my generation has and refuses to examine die with me.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

This is why people are calling you out, dude: you are taking this way too personally. You made some hyperbolic comments about conservatism and, instead of just moving on, you keep doubling down on this persecution complex.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sometimes, when Hillary is watching the sportsball she will yell at the screen, but not regularly. She's just like us, but with the cautious temperament to lead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXounWx4InY

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

smh, Obama. s. m. d. h.

I always suspected that Joe doesn't really know how to party, but this confirms it

All of the food, keep adding proteins until you run out of space on the table, then add a new table

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

JT Jag posted:

The flipside being that while the truth has a liberal bias, the truth is rarely black and white and is often complex, and voters don't like complex things, and will often accept a comfortable lie over a disconcerting or hard to comprehend truth.

So, why don't democrats lie a lot more to sell their ideas? What lies could we make up to sell some more liberal ideas to the types that like republicans?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Joementum posted:

Also, six pies? You really needed both banana and coconut cream? C'mon, Obama!

At least replace one of those for a lemon meringue.

Also Mac and Cheese for thanksgiving?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

As I recall, there's solid evidence that on this level, people don't change their opinions; they simply die.

That can't be entirely true. I've read that facts and evidence don't usually make people change their minds - in fact, they usually harden people into their existing opinions. But something changes minds. The death/birth rates haven't been enough to explain the dramatic shift on something like same sex marriage from 2004-2014.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hellblazer187 posted:

So, why don't democrats lie a lot more to sell their ideas? What lies could we make up to sell some more liberal ideas to the types that like republicans?

Wow, look at this guy.

Typical ivory tower LIEberal. :freep:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

At least replace one of those for a lemon meringue.

A proper macaroni and cheese is rich and fancy as gently caress

However realistically this is a, "and there will be small children here serve this if you don't want them crying" concession

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Muslims of course.

Stretch Marx posted:

What kind of heathen doesn't have mac and cheese for thanksgiving?

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 26, 2015

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Epic High Five posted:

A proper macaroni and cheese is rich and fancy as gently caress

However realistically this is a, "and there will be small children here serve this if you don't want them crying" concession

Oh I know. Actual mac and cheese with bread crumbs is fantastic. I'm just amazed they couldn't find anything out of all that regular thanksgiving stuff to feed kids so they opted for mac and cheese.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

Wow, look at this guy.

Typical ivory tower LIEberal. :freep:

I'd really like to be a Demon-Rat I wonder what powers I'd get.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

Muslims of course.

Look at Obama, serving up that taqiyya ham.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Hellblazer187 posted:

That can't be entirely true. I've read that facts and evidence don't usually make people change their minds - in fact, they usually harden people into their existing opinions. But something changes minds. The death/birth rates haven't been enough to explain the dramatic shift on something like same sex marriage from 2004-2014.

That is true, but on the other hand that shift didn't suddenly happen in 2004, and was a battle fought over entire generations. So minds may have changed less than things like willingness to state one's opinion as certain opinions became more socially acceptable.

Also, that shift does in fact coincide with people with hard homophobic stances dying off and not being replaced so it may actually fit the my position quite well.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'd really like to be a Demon-Rat I wonder what powers I'd get.

According to this documentary they seem to be a minor inconvenience at most.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Noam Chomsky posted:

because I'm not, I'm pointing out you are being incredibly stupid by ignoring everything that goes into making a person act in a way that advances that ideology in favor of glib "I'm better than them" put downs.

quote:

you said something stupid, now play it off as knowing it was stupid, and yet still want to throw a pity party about people mocking your stupidity

quote:

no, you intended to make an empty and self congratulatory statement ridiculing the other and how you are good and cool. People are rightly pointing out this is stupid poo poo

quote:

I'm not bragging about understanding the larger forces at work and all that. I just said I've read about them and I understand them.
Yes, you were claiming to have the whole picture, then bragging about not knowing it.

quote:

I just happen to have a different view of modern American conservatives and their ideology, as well as Republicans, than you, I guess. Also, I generally like to talk about the actual real end results of an ideology rather than whether or not it's theoretically correct.

so having failed in your quest to get a little social signaling if "I'm superior to them" you are now going for "I'm superior to you". It isn't going to play out well

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stretch Marx posted:

Oh I know. Actual mac and cheese with bread crumbs is fantastic. I'm just amazed they couldn't find anything out of all that regular thanksgiving stuff to feed kids so they opted for mac and cheese.

Yeah mac and cheese with a stick of butter and a quart of heavy cream is so loving good but so incredibly unhealthy that I really only make it for thanksgiving.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Stretch Marx posted:

Pro tip: a little bit of truffle oil goes a long way to making your mac & cheese even more amazing

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Pro tip: a little bit of truffle oil goes a long way to making your mac & cheese even more amazing

That feels arriviste to me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fried Chicken posted:

White or black truffle oil?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Plus you never have to worry about there being mac and cheese left over or passed over, even if it's lovely. People love some mac and cheese

FAUXTON posted:

White or black truffle oil?

#AllTruffleOilsMatter

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/11/26/trump-blasted-mocking-disabled-reporter/76409418/
trumps a nice man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNocmPffX4c&feature=youtu.be&t=2808

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 26, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's a reporter, he had it coming. -Any persons who would have been supporting him anyway, plus about 5%

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

Lookit all that liberal fancy Marie Antoinette food. I eat Armour turkey out of a can.

check out mr. high roller over here. i'm going to go forage for acorns and defeat any squirrels that may fight me

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I wonder if there is even a gaffe that would affect Trump's numbers. We've already seen what doesn't:

-adopt Democratic policies? nope

-support dem politicians including Clinton? nope

-adopt nazi policies? nope

-make fun of a disabled man's contractures? what do you loving think

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SedanChair posted:

I wonder if there is even a gaffe that would affect Trump's numbers. We've already seen what doesn't:

-adopt Democratic policies? nope

-support dem politicians including Clinton? nope

-adopt nazi policies? nope

-make fun of a disabled man's contractures? what do you loving think
Be caught on film with a live boy or dead girl

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Be caught on film with a live boy or dead girl

"He's just doing what everyone else is afraid to do! I love that about Trump... he *goes there* when nobody else will!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Franco Potente posted:

This is why people are calling you out, dude: you are taking this way too personally. You made some hyperbolic comments about conservatism and, instead of just moving on, you keep doubling down on this persecution complex.

He's right. D&D just argues like garbage so what else can he respond with.

• Locked thread