Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't wait to jet-black my Iggle. I hope it keeps the blue light strips though.

Edit: goddamn two pages started by me making basically content-less paint posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Could now use some obnoxious neon green for, y'know, thematic reasons.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Pirate: "Drop your cargo!"

Me: :shrug:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Annoyingly NPC pirates have apparently graduated from considering limpets "valuable cargo" to deciding that ships that lack the ability to carry cargo in the first pace are obviously hauling panite.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Pirate: "Drop your cargo!"

Me: :shrug:

They really need to get back to fixing their AI.

I've had a few encounters with opposing power NPC's that interdicted me, scanned and went "How do you make a living?"

Lol.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Astroniomix posted:

Annoyingly NPC pirates have apparently graduated from considering limpets "valuable cargo" to deciding that ships that lack the ability to carry cargo in the first pace are obviously hauling panite.
NPCs and interdictions are just broken in general. They'd made general NPCs significantly more irritating in 1.3 but 1.4 dialled that up to 11 and had even more NPCs spawn for missions to interdict you for your cargo (even if your hold was empty) and most of the time when they interdict you the mini-game doesn't work properly any more so there's no rhyme or reason as to why they succeed or fail.

The cynical part of me says it's because I think they must have built 1.4 from old code again because a lot of the problems (particularly the constant interdictions from System Authority NPCs as you approach stations and the 10 credit repair bug) have all been introduced and fixed before. The interdictions being totally broken thing is new but I'm hopeful they'll fix that at some point whereas I'm not entirely sure the changes to NPCs aren't partly a conscious decision (although perhaps not intended to be at the level they are) to combat mission stacking.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

NPCs and interdictions are just broken in general. They'd made general NPCs significantly more irritating in 1.3 but 1.4 dialled that up to 11 and had even more NPCs spawn for missions to interdict you for your cargo (even if your hold was empty) and most of the time when they interdict you the mini-game doesn't work properly any more so there's no rhyme or reason as to why they succeed or fail.

The cynical part of me says it's because I think they must have built 1.4 from old code again because a lot of the problems (particularly the constant interdictions from System Authority NPCs as you approach stations and the 10 credit repair bug) have all been introduced and fixed before. The interdictions being totally broken thing is new but I'm hopeful they'll fix that at some point whereas I'm not entirely sure the changes to NPCs aren't partly a conscious decision (although perhaps not intended to be at the level they are) to combat mission stacking.

At least sometimes it's broken in your favour. My favourite is the NPC-messages showing up several seconds before the NPCs actually spawn. If I see some of those annoying "Hmmm.... tasty cargo!" messages pop up while refueling at a sun, sometimes the NPC isn't there. So I have some extra time to pull away from the sun and jump to the next star.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Libluini posted:

At least sometimes it's broken in your favour. My favourite is the NPC-messages showing up several seconds before the NPCs actually spawn. If I see some of those annoying "Hmmm.... tasty cargo!" messages pop up while refueling at a sun, sometimes the NPC isn't there. So I have some extra time to pull away from the sun and jump to the next star.

I've noticed in those cases what's actually happening is they spawn and then instantly crash into the sun.

Quite literally :frontear:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
So I just picked this game up during the sale, for later use mind you, didn't really expect this old wrech of a laptop to run it.

And yet, just for the hell of it, I downloaded it from Steam, powered it up, and lo and behold! Auto-settings to medium, the drat game works just fine.

To bad my connection is waaaaaay to lovely right now, oh well.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, they've got some crazy optimization going on and you can basically run this game on a brick with some wires taped to it.

I mean, I'm running it on a laptop that cost me a whopping $275 two years ago, and it only really chugs in the foggiest of planetary rings.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I'm probably gonna spring for this because it's so cheap now, but I'm curious about the multiplayer element: is the game pretty much single player, with occasional multiplayer elements, or is it closer to an MMO? I'm finding conflicting answers on the Google.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

So I'm probably gonna spring for this because it's so cheap now, but I'm curious about the multiplayer element: is the game pretty much single player, with occasional multiplayer elements, or is it closer to an MMO? I'm finding conflicting answers on the Google.

It's more of an AMO - accidental multiplayer onlinegame. You're connected peer to peer when instanced with other players and it can be a bit of a pain to wing up, especially with people outside of your timezone. The theoretical cap on players in the same instance is 30ish.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Daily Forecast posted:

It's the first one; the game requires a connection to sync galactic data so everyone lives and flies in a consistent universe, but you can choose to play solo and never interact with another human being if that's your bag. Even in open, player interaction is generally the exception and not the rule, due to the galaxy being 1:1 scale and therefore incredibig.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
^Edit: Fantastic, thanks.

So if I'm a social reject I can just play this alone no problem? That's mostly what I'm going for, here.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You can also play completely solo and never see another player if you so desire. In either case, your actions will have an impact on the overall economy shared by all players.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm wondering what people think of the Corvette right now.

Personally, I like the ship but without more options for the C4 slots there really isn't a compelling reason for me to upgrade from an Anaconda.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Daily Forecast posted:

The former. You control how "occasional" multiplayer is, though. You can set it to solo and never see another player (but you, along with everyone else, will still effect the persistent universe), join a group under one player and only see people of that group, or full blown open.

"Open" means you encounter other people playing in that instanced area of open. Instancing really only comes into play with high traffic areas, chance is good you will run into anyone else who happens to be in that system/station/soon-to-be world areas. For example, I headed out to the Pleiades to a system called Maia, which is a local black hole. It's several hundred light years from civilized space. When I arrived there (in open) I encountered another explorer who was getting back from an expedition. Chance encounters like that are magical.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Daily Forecast posted:

^Edit: Fantastic, thanks.

So if I'm a social reject I can just play this alone no problem? That's mostly what I'm going for, here.

You not only can play this completely alone, you can still hang in Goonspace and help do things around there, even if you are just full time truckin.

Or gently caress off and head into deep space. Horizons is going to really open up things because exploration has been pretty reliant on stations for repairs, or the risk of running out of fuel on accident.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm wondering what people think of the Corvette right now.

Personally, I like the ship but without more options for the C4 slots there really isn't a compelling reason for me to upgrade from an Anaconda.

Not a problem for me, because I just spend all my money on a Python and basically will have just enough for a Corvette around 2020. By then I expect Frontier has added more C4 weapons and rebalanced the Corvette to have more jump range. :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Libluini posted:

Not a problem for me, because I just spend all my money on a Python and basically will have just enough for a Corvette around 2020. By then I expect Frontier has added more C4 weapons and rebalanced the Corvette to have more jump range. :v:

Actually I've settled on a build for the 'vette that slaps C3 beams in the C4 slots and a PAC in the C3 slot with Multicannons in the C1/2 slots and that's basically the build I run in my Python. So I guess now the questions is what does the Corvette bring to the table (aside from aesthetics) that my python doesn't?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I kinda feel like "looking cool" is the primary function of both of the new ships. I'm still gonna buy a Cutter, but I'm no longer in any great rush to do so.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Might jump on this now, since with the Steam discount and the discount from the pre-order you are essentially getting the base game for free (and also getting the bonus poo poo from having it early). I also assume you don't get access to the base game until Horizons releases proper if you go that route.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Actually I've settled on a build for the 'vette that slaps C3 beams in the C4 slots and a PAC in the C3 slot with Multicannons in the C1/2 slots and that's basically the build I run in my Python. So I guess now the questions is what does the Corvette bring to the table (aside from aesthetics) that my python doesn't?

Better shields and armor, beefier power distributor, and more utility slots, all with comparable turning.

I'm planning to try dual C4 cannons and burst lasers everywhere else. In PVE shields arent that hard to chew through as it is, and I'm hoping the cannons will be brutally efficient against hull.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
This community goal is making me root for the thargoids, christ

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

jaffyjaffy posted:

Might jump on this now, since with the Steam discount and the discount from the pre-order you are essentially getting the base game for free (and also getting the bonus poo poo from having it early). I also assume you don't get access to the base game until Horizons releases proper if you go that route.

Yeah, that's correct; if you pre-order Horizons now, you will not have anything to play until Horizons actually goes live, possibly some time in December. Precisely when? :iiam:

Just to clarify for others who might be wondering:

During the Steam Thanksgiving Sale happening right now, Elite is 66% off, making it $15.00 instead of $50. Will it be returning to regular price after Thanksgiving? :iiam:

The upcoming Horizons expansion will cost the same as full price of the base game, but includes the base game plus expansion.

For now, and until Dec. 1, you'll save $15 for pre-ordering Horizons, which happens to be the sale price of the base game.

So the options for those considering E:D and/or Horizons are:

a) Purchase the E:D base game now ($15), and also pre-order Horizons ($45), have a game to play right now, and the expansion in a month. Total, $60.
b) Pre-order Horizons now ($45), nothing to play now, but have everything when it goes live, in a month. Total, $45.
c) Wait until Horizons launches, purchase both the E:D base game ($50), and maybe also Horizons ($60) at full price, total $110. :suicide:

On top of that, there are minor goodies for pre-ordering Horizons - namely, access to the Cobra Mark IV, and, if you pre-order before Dec 1, access to the Midnight paint pack for all ships.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 26, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah, this is about the best deal there is if you want to get in, get all the goodies, then preorder horizons with the discount, and by my eye you save a whole 15 cents! (maybe not if you live in Washington?)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have no clue if I want to spring the $17.15 (CDN) for this game. Can't afford the expansion, but can afford the base game. Not even sure if I will like it anyways.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

For anyone not currently following the PGS thread: :frogsiren: CAPITAL CLASS SIGNATURE IN GAKIUTL

The Federation has deployed a capship to bolster the Gakiutl Gold Electronics & Co and help them try to pull off a win against us in our war.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

For anyone not currently following the PGS thread: :frogsiren: CAPITAL CLASS SIGNATURE IN GAKIUTL

The Federation has deployed a capship to bolster the Gakiutl Gold Electronics & Co and help them try to pull off a win against us in our war.

Now this is unexpected.

Fake Edit:

To top of the good news, I've finally cleaned up the screenshots I made while travelling to the edge of the galaxy and I'll keep posting 20-30 of them every day until I'm finished! (Also the best of the best get slowly uploaded to Inara, but that may take some time, since I have to do that one picture after another.)

This one was just personally funny for me. Ghostbusters in space!

Something to take into account when you're out exploring: While this little dirtball is actually terraformable,

this one isn't, despite looking a lot nicer. Looks aren't everything!

My first Earth-like on the trip, found just a couple thousand light years from Sol.

The same world, just a bit closer so you can see more details.

Next I found this nice water world with far too much oxygen to be healthy.

This is the same planet up close.

The same planet with the Perseus Arm in the background, the first goal on the way outwards.

Presenting: My Asp.

This was a test to see if asteroid belts are worth something now. (Nada, still zilch.)

Planets like this one made me wish I could sell exploration data to the Thargoids. They'd pray a premium for worlds like this!

Ironically, while I forgot to make screenshots from the potential Thargoid-colony above, I later made tons of pictures from the other ones I found. This one is a standard water world, by the way.

Up close it looks slightly different from other similar planets I've seen. Also nice: The rest of the Milky Way in the background.

Of course I had to shove my red Asp into the foreground again.

This ghost planet made me wonder for a while if it was really a ghost or one of those annoyingly dark blue gas giants.

But nope, it's a ghost. Spooky!

So anyway, after that one I stopped for a couple of days to give Frontier time to deal with a really dumb database bug. Tomorrow I'll start again with pictures from after that forced rest!

Since there was a about a month worth of time where I didn't play Elite while waiting for 1.4 to drop, the screenshots above end up covering about 6-7k light years. The next batch will be a lot denser, though.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

This is excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Quick question: Did you find heat sinks useful while out there?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

illBilliam posted:

This is excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Quick question: Did you find heat sinks useful while out there?

I used them all up. Two heat sinks, completely emptied out. :v:

Even if I discount some I lost because my cat rubbed her head against my joystick and changed my firegroup just as I was pressing down my scan-button, that's impressive. (Some others I lost due to panicking.)

All in all at least one heat sink should always be on an exploration-fit. It really cuts down on damage. But I don't want to spoil later images, so I'll explain more then.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Awesome and thanks! I'm planning a quick roundtrip to the core and back to Goat Sector. I think I'll risk it with just one HS launcher to maintain my jump distance of 34 ly. I'll consider bringing two or more for a lengthier trip.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

A shitload more armour and shields with the ability to (some day) deploy a couple of fighters as well. The handling isn't even significantly different than the Python. It also looks like a star destroyer with the hardpoints out.

Speaking of hardpoints, one thing to keep in mind is that the C4 hardpoints are in a gantry thing that raises up from the ship which isn't designed for C3 weapons and sometimes they can't fire because their firing arc is blocked by the edge of the gantry. I'm not sure if this is by design or if it's just :frontear: but I reported it as a bug anyway.

I really like the Corvette but I'm adopting a wait and see approach to see what happens with the fighters and C4 weapons in Horizons before I buy one.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Finally I can make my DBS super bright! And a gold FDL skin for 2.0 live. And I got the Asp Synth pack because techno angel wings.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mercurius posted:

Speaking of hardpoints, one thing to keep in mind is that the C4 hardpoints are in a gantry thing that raises up from the ship which isn't designed for C3 weapons and sometimes they can't fire because their firing arc is blocked by the edge of the gantry. I'm not sure if this is by design or if it's just :frontear: but I reported it as a bug anyway.

Excuse me this is realistic immersive military contracting in this high fidelity space sim

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Actually I've settled on a build for the 'vette that slaps C3 beams in the C4 slots and a PAC in the C3 slot

I do not understand why, given a ship that can mount and power them, you wouldn't want to use two C4 plasma accelerators.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

RagnarokZ posted:

So I just picked this game up during the sale, for later use mind you, didn't really expect this old wrech of a laptop to run it.

And yet, just for the hell of it, I downloaded it from Steam, powered it up, and lo and behold! Auto-settings to medium, the drat game works just fine.

To bad my connection is waaaaaay to lovely right now, oh well.

Professor Bling posted:

Yeah, they've got some crazy optimization going on and you can basically run this game on a brick with some wires taped to it.

I mean, I'm running it on a laptop that cost me a whopping $275 two years ago, and it only really chugs in the foggiest of planetary rings.

How crummy are your crummy laptops? In terms of CPU & GPU I mean. Wondering whether I can get away with running it on this thing...

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Space Skeleton posted:

Wait what does this mean

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How well does this play with the 360 controller? I have been forbidden to buy anything till after my birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Where's this preorder offer for Horizons? I can only find it on their store for 40GBP/60USD which is 80 loving AUD, lol gently caress that.

MarcusSA posted:

How well does this play with the 360 controller? I have been forbidden to buy anything till after my birthday.
Perfectly fine. You'll want to do a little bit of tweaking for shortcuts and stuff but it works fine, you'll still need to mash keys on the keyboard but I don't think anyone bar those players with a billion extra-button joysticks get away from that.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 27, 2015

• Locked thread