Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Eimi posted:

is it possible to mod in matrilineal marriages as a muslim?

lol, why even play a Muslim anymore, sheesh :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Veryslightlymad posted:

Would one of the more mod-savvy people here be so kind as to help me figure out how to change the map colors in an existing game? Is this even possible?

A problem I'm running into is there was a successful crusade for Greece and Greece and Byzantium are right next to each other and on this crappy monitor, they're identical in color. I've gone into the landed_titles file and changed it, and I've made a mod that's got nothing BUT my modified landed_titles file, but when I boot the game with the mod running, they're still identical color.

It's possible to make them, like, a nice, contrasting blue, yeah? How do I go about doing this?

in landed_titles file, by default, you should have these two thingies:

quote:

e_byzantium = {
color={ 163 10 145 }
color2={ 255 255 20 }

k_byzantium = {
color={ 165 11 111 }
color2={ 255 255 23 }

Nearly identical colors, as you've said. So go over to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors#X11_color_names and find whatever you like. Just replace either title with the value of your favorite colors (yes, blue, you may pass the gorge of eternal peril). If you change the e_ title, then the Byzantine Empire becomes blue, if you change the k_ title then the kingdom of Greece should. You get the idea.

If you just do that, it should work easy - or at least it worked for me when I designed my Matriarchy pentarchy kingdom title in terms of color. If you're not certain if you've placed the mod file in the correct folder (this could be another reason why nothing's happening), first do a backup of the vanilla game landed_titles file and then just modify it like this and don't even bother with the /mod thing. This should show you a difference to be sure, or well...your monitor really has died. :P

Hope any of this rambling was of use.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 26, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

lol, why even play a Muslim anymore, sheesh :rolleyes:

Because I would like to play in the Arabic world without becoming Shaoyshant, I enjoy playing as a female character, and I haven't played as a Muslim before. :colbert:

Also because this is a game about Indian Norsemen sacrificing the Pope to Kali, history is the canvas upon which madness dwells.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i get the matrilineal marriage thing but man does it suck that it's so unbelievably hard to make your dynasty become sayyid.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eimi posted:

So this is something that's always bothered me, but I'm wondering if any of the changes since I played have let you tinker around with it, namely is it possible to mod in matrilineal marriages as a muslim? I could get the AI to do it before horse lords, but the UI made it impossible for players. Wondering if that was ever tinkered with?

It should be possible, but I haven't tried with the current dlc. I keep meaning to mod one of the Muslim heresies into a Zoro-like religion, giving it full agnatic in the process. Maybe I'll get around to trying it this weekend.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

darthbob88 posted:

I'd say yes to both, with the caveat that they're currently OP and due for rebalancing.

Yeah me and QA has been working together to try and improve the situation without completely wrecking them to obscurity so hopefully in 2.5 you'll see some improvements in the balance.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groogy posted:

Yeah me and QA has been working together to try and improve the situation without completely wrecking them to obscurity so hopefully in 2.5 you'll see some improvements in the balance.

2 suggestions:

- nomad army upkeep needs to be a lot higher. Currently its basically a super-retinue but with negligible upkeep. And nomad income tends to skyrocket mid-late game, and you basically have nothing nto spend on

- nomad succession needs to be harder. Right now you can basically choose your heir and succession always goes smooth, so is one of the easiest succession types in the game, which is like (AFAIK), the opposite to what it was. Maybe a mechanic where there is a good chance of your vassal khans to refuse to swear to the new khagan or something like that. I think succession needs to be a moment of crisis for nomads

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 26, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Do all new DLC patches tend to break saves or was that just Horse Lords? I'm a bit tired of my current save for now but I'm in a good place and plan to come back to it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Walton Simons posted:

Do all new DLC patches tend to break saves or was that just Horse Lords? I'm a bit tired of my current save for now but I'm in a good place and plan to come back to it.

That's probably the patch? You can roll back to earlier patches through Steam (right-click CK2 > properties > beta tab > choose patch).

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Great, thanks, don't want to lose 150 years of Hispania.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pretty sure it's map expansions that break saves.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nomad succession should probably be gavelkind where hoe many titles someone gets is dependant upon their prestige.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So what's the most recent version of After the End available? Has the github been completely taken down, or is it just not available on Paradox forums because of PI being asses?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

It has been a while since I played Horse Lords, but is it possible for the player to become a Raiding/Invading Adventurer or a Landless Clan?
As far as I could find out, NOPE! Which is loving annoying as hell, as I was really looking forward to it, as it sounded like a really cool thang.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Pretty much this. Besides, there is also the 10% limit, so if you make a huge kingdom merchant republic vassal, you wont be able to make even a regular republic after that.

IMHO the 10% limit is enough to prevent those kind of exploits, no need to spoil my fun of making Frisia a merchant republic.

The limit for Merchant Republics is on Feudal vassals. You can make as many Republics as you wish if you are one, same as you can make as many Feudal vassals as you like if you are one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So what's the most recent version of After the End available?

For 2.4.4, on the forums.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

I am not sure what is in the water at Normandy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bloodly posted:

The limit for Merchant Republics is on Feudal vassals. You can make as many Republics as you wish if you are one, same as you can make as many Feudal vassals as you like if you are one.

Never knew about this, but I dont play merchant republics (although I love making then from vassals)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CrazyLoon posted:

in landed_titles file, by default, you should have these two thingies:

Nearly identical colors, as you've said. So go over to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors#X11_color_names and find whatever you like. Just replace either title with the value of your favorite colors (yes, blue, you may pass the gorge of eternal peril). If you change the e_ title, then the Byzantine Empire becomes blue, if you change the k_ title then the kingdom of Greece should. You get the idea.

If you just do that, it should work easy - or at least it worked for me when I designed my Matriarchy pentarchy kingdom title in terms of color. If you're not certain if you've placed the mod file in the correct folder (this could be another reason why nothing's happening), first do a backup of the vanilla game landed_titles file and then just modify it like this and don't even bother with the /mod thing. This should show you a difference to be sure, or well...your monitor really has died. :P

Hope any of this rambling was of use.

Like, I've tried changing the color values (for Kingdom of Greece, so K_Byzantium)--the numeric ones--and nothing happens. I've tried in both the normal folder and in the mod folder I made. Neither seems to do anything. Do I have to change anything outside of the numeric values?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Colours are weird. I formed a custom Empire of Columbia in After the End once, and what I got was pink.

That was perfectly fitting for my Lunatic Emperor, though, and so the PATRIOTIC BLOOD NATION was founded.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I am playing an ironman France game and I ran into a problem making the Empire of Francia:

I have 3 King titles, the gold needed as well as the provinces. I don't understand why it wont let me make the title.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SkySteak posted:

So I am playing an ironman France game and I ran into a problem making the Empire of Francia:

I have 3 King titles, the gold needed as well as the provinces. I don't understand why it wont let me make the title.

Do you have a King title that is NOT ANY of France, Aquitaine, Bretagne and Burgundy? Anything else will do - essentially the idea being that aside from having power within the de jure area, you also need to have some power outside of it. Easiest to get, should it be available, is Navarra.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

You need a Kingdom outside Francia to form Francia.
I guess it's for historical inertia, so that you end up with a big Kingdom of France that de-jure drifts Duchies in.
However, the AI will create the Kingdoms even if it would result in losing territory upon succession, presumably optimising for prestige.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=555219229

:horse:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

At 25 DIP that horse is a better Chancellor than most people.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
483~ odd hours in the game and I've finally been able to reform the West African Faith.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Khiva (1066) is a pretty good start if you want a handle on Nomads. You're rich, and you have good land to raid, a weaker neighbour to the east, and a long-term project to dismantle Cumania.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 27, 2015

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So, how do I play this game? I just bought it and all the major DLCs but now I'm lost. What's a fun place to start?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Minenfeld! posted:

So, how do I play this game? I just bought it and all the major DLCs but now I'm lost. What's a fun place to start?

I think the Petty Kingdom of Munster (Southern Ireland) in 1066 is still good?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Minenfeld! posted:

The tutorial is actually pretty good. There's a guy on youtube named Arumba who did the definitive tutorial a couple years ago, but it's a bit dated. Still likely a lot of good information there, but the interface will be a little different. And yeah, Ireland is newbie island at 1066 if I remember right and it's not tribal.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So my desire to hop into the game in Scandinavia isn't to be followed? Ireland newbie island and then learn how to do other religions/government types?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Minenfeld! posted:

So my desire to hop into the game in Scandinavia isn't to be followed? Ireland newbie island and then learn how to do other religions/government types?

Nah, if Vikings are your thing dive into Scandinavia and fail to accomplish anything repeatedly. You'll learn things along the way and Vikings are fun.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Vikings are pretty easy too honestly (if you start in 867 or 769), they just work a bit differently than Catholics (mostly in that if you ever move to playing Catholics you'll be frustrated at actually having to get claims on things to take them over. :colbert:)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Volkerball posted:

The tutorial is actually pretty good. There's a guy on youtube named Arumba who did the definitive tutorial a couple years ago, but it's a bit dated. Still likely a lot of good information there, but the interface will be a little different. And yeah, Ireland is newbie island at 1066 if I remember right and it's not tribal.

I'd also recommend Tuscany or Bohemia (both 1066) if you want to learn how to play as a vassal.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I find it kinda weird that in merchant republics, even though you're supposed to be under seniority succession, nobody minds when you just appoint whoever you want as heir. I mean, I get that republics are supposed to be less about succession politics, but it's weird that there's not even an opinion modifier on the guy who should inherit.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DStecks posted:

I find it kinda weird that in merchant republics, even though you're supposed to be under seniority succession, nobody minds when you just appoint whoever you want as heir. I mean, I get that republics are supposed to be less about succession politics, but it's weird that there's not even an opinion modifier on the guy who should inherit.
It's just another thing that never really got good depth, a bit like how the college of cardinals in CK2 is somehow less interactive than the one from Medieval Total War 2. Vote-buying is simplified into just pure insert money -> more votes instead of being more strategic. Ehhh.

Also, anyone able to get anybody excommunicated for a while? Aside from vassal pope shenanigans, I don't remember doing that for ages.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's just another thing that never really got good depth, a bit like how the college of cardinals in CK2 is somehow less interactive than the one from Medieval Total War 2. Vote-buying is simplified into just pure insert money -> more votes instead of being more strategic. Ehhh.

Also, anyone able to get anybody excommunicated for a while? Aside from vassal pope shenanigans, I don't remember doing that for ages.

You can still excommunicate people, but there's not much point since if the pope dislikes them and likes you then you can usually get a claim on their poo poo instead. Or just tap pope money at every opportunity, which is what the AI does, which is why the AI never bothers excommunicating anyone either. It's still technically in the game but it's basically a deprecated mechanic since SoA.

One thing that's still occasionally useful is if you can have a fucknut vassal excommunicated it gives you justification to throw his rear end in the dungeon.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Just got this on Steam, will be giving it a shot soon - are there any must-have DLC expansions or is the base game solid enough to play? I was going to grab the GoT and Elder Kings mods after I start getting a feel for the base game.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Alucard posted:

Just got this on Steam, will be giving it a shot soon - are there any must-have DLC expansions or is the base game solid enough to play? I was going to grab the GoT and Elder Kings mods after I start getting a feel for the base game.

Way of Life it adds so much to the standard gameplay, maybe old gods as well if you want an earlier start date and Vikings :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can still excommunicate people, but there's not much point since if the pope dislikes them and likes you then you can usually get a claim on their poo poo instead. Or just tap pope money at every opportunity, which is what the AI does, which is why the AI never bothers excommunicating anyone either. It's still technically in the game but it's basically a deprecated mechanic since SoA.

One thing that's still occasionally useful is if you can have a fucknut vassal excommunicated it gives you justification to throw his rear end in the dungeon.

Correction: Actually even in that case you can, once again, get a claim on his poo poo, which allows you to just straight-up revoke it for free. So that's still better.

• Locked thread