Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek Continues is genuinely fun for what it is especially when you consider what passes for serious drama on network television these days

After Of Gods and Men I was very prepared to hate the gently caress out of Star Trek Continues, but they actually did a good job at what they set out to do. Granted, it helps that its relatively easy to make something look like no-budget 60s schlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mondian posted:

After Of Gods and Men I was very prepared to hate the gently caress out of Star Trek Continues, but they actually did a good job at what they set out to do. Granted, it helps that its relatively easy to make something look like no-budget 60s schlock.

Along those lines, wasn't Darkplace considered a sort of expensive production because they were trying to make it look like 1980s schlock?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Higgy posted:

Just finished all of Voyager. Watching the pilot of Enterprise. loving rofl at the opening credit what the gently caress is this poo poo? Are they serious?

Gull Dukat was right all along.

If you mute it I like the Enterprise credits.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Brent Spiner trolling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeBLxmOp8KE

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Mondian posted:

Prior to ST:C I hadn't seen a fan production that wasn't cringe worthy, both in production values and overall tone. With these guys I actually look forward to new episodes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWq56gcbOi8

Soup Kitchen In My Pants.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect Star Trek Continues and all that stuff'll get C&D'd once the new series starts to air.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

shadow puppet of a posted:

HHHHDDDD rewatch is a good rewatch because it builds hope of a HDS9 reissue with extensive behind the scenes footage of Armin and Rene skipping around arm in arm, half in makeup and one quarter in costume.

And hopefully extensive footage of people treating E.Dax like crap and making her get coffee from the crew's and not the cast's craft services table

Robert Meyer Burnett has already confirmed this is not going to happen.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I expect Star Trek Continues and all that stuff'll get C&D'd once the new series starts to air.

And that'll be a shame when it happens

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along those lines, wasn't Darkplace considered a sort of expensive production because they were trying to make it look like 1980s schlock?

keep in mind Darkplace was a British production, so anything more complicated than throwing a few people behind a table and having them snark at each other for 28 minutes is "sort of expensive" for them

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SuperDucky posted:

Robert Meyer Burnett has already confirmed this is not going to happen.

Can you elaborate on this a little? Are you saying there will be no HD re-release of DS9, or that there will be, but it will not contain any extra features?

Also, was Ezrai Dax not well liked, and really forced to eat at the lesser craft services table? If so, why? Her acting ability seemed to surpass Terry Farrel's, not that that is a super high bar. Was she not as friendly as Farrel possibly? Where are all these neat stories about the cast, I would love to read up on some of them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Can you elaborate on this a little? Are you saying there will be no HD re-release of DS9, or that there will be, but it will not contain any extra features?

Also, was Ezrai Dax not well liked, and really forced to eat at the lesser craft services table? If so, why? Her acting ability seemed to surpass Terry Farrel's, not that that is a super high bar. Was she not as friendly as Farrel possibly? Where are all these neat stories about the cast, I would love to read up on some of them.

https://twitter.com/burnettrm/status/551563078983098369

quote:

Don't hold your breath.

The Blu Ray sales were EXTREMELY disappointing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

When I was younger I purchased the entire DVD set of both TNG and DS9, back when they were like $130 per season each, or when you were lucky about $90 at Costco. That is $1,400 or so worth of Star Trek. It is likely that many fans have these sets already. I just did a check on Amazon, and while the new seasons are sold by Amazon at about $30, they still have a MSRP of $130. I don't think in this day and age people are going to pay so much for content that they already have. Expecting people to pay new content prices (that are unreasonable to start with) for something that is essentially an upgrade will probably lead to disappointment. I would like to see a HD remake of DS9, but I think the business model they have may be flawed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I own no Star Trek DVDs because of the insane prices. I considered buying TOS on Blurray, but I'm not all that excited about the remastered effects, I'd rather the originals in their original format.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When I was younger I purchased the entire DVD set of both TNG and DS9, back when they were like $130 per season each, or when you were lucky about $90 at Costco. That is $1,400 or so worth of Star Trek. It is likely that many fans have these sets already. I just did a check on Amazon, and while the new seasons are sold by Amazon at about $30, they still have a MSRP of $130. I don't think in this day and age people are going to pay so much for content that they already have. Expecting people to pay new content prices (that are unreasonable to start with) for something that is essentially an upgrade will probably lead to disappointment. I would like to see a HD remake of DS9, but I think the business model they have may be flawed.

DS9 and Voyager also have a higher burden in the fact that their SD content just doesn't look as bad as TNG's early pink-tinged seasons did. I mean seriously, even if I was watching on an 80s-vintage CRT television, I'd still rather be watching the TNG remasters because the color is just that much better. I'm not sure I could make the same case for DS9.

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS still has their expectations skewed by what they were able to squeeze from the DVD boxsets back in the day. I mean, those things sold, in part because while $130+ for a season boxset is pretty nuts, it was peanuts compared to collecting the series on VHS where you might be paying $15-30 for a single episode and there were definitely people out there who would have like all of TOS on VHS.

Also a big problem was that they had TNG BD releases competing against the standard-def poo poo that was streaming on Netflix. Might have worked better if they could have pulled TNG from Netflix while they were doing the BD releases, but I'm not sure if that was even possible for them.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

The General posted:

I own no Star Trek DVDs because of the insane prices. I considered buying TOS on Blurray, but I'm not all that excited about the remastered effects, I'd rather the originals in their original format.

I could be wrong, but I thought there was an option of remastered or original effects.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

DS9 and Voyager also have a higher burden in the fact that their SD content just doesn't look as bad as TNG's early pink-tinged seasons did. I mean seriously, even if I was watching on an 80s-vintage CRT television, I'd still rather be watching the TNG remasters because the color is just that much better. I'm not sure I could make the same case for DS9.

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS still has their expectations skewed by what they were able to squeeze from the DVD boxsets back in the day. I mean, those things sold, in part because while $130+ for a season boxset is pretty nuts, it was peanuts compared to collecting the series on VHS where you might be paying $15-30 for a single episode and there were definitely people out there who would have like all of TOS on VHS.

Also a big problem was that they had TNG BD releases competing against the standard-def poo poo that was streaming on Netflix. Might have worked better if they could have pulled TNG from Netflix while they were doing the BD releases, but I'm not sure if that was even possible for them.

I think you might be right about the color on TNG. I remember the first time I watched an episode of TNG after having my nice new TV for a while, and I was, uh.... surprised. This was before the remastered versions were available on Netflix. I would have been somewhat upset if they pulled Star Trek from Netflix. It would not have prompted me to go out and buy the boxed sets either, I just would have watched my old ones when I felt the desire. I hate to sound like a really entitled person, but I think that at a certain dollar level I feel sufficiently paid into the franchise to the point where I am not going to repurchase products unless they are a good deal. If I could pay $99 to have all my DS9 upgraded to HD, I think I would. Along the same vein as being "paid into" the franchise, I can't see myself shelling out more money to watch the new Star Trek series. I would consider paying a small fee to watch it if it was on a service I already use like Hulu/Amazon/Netflix, but I am not going to get yet another streaming service just for Star Trek.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

lol gently caress everything then

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Tighclops posted:

yeah holy poo poo burn every city to the ground

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Just finished watching DS9 with my fiancée, who had never seen it. Now we are sad that there is no more DS9, and also she agrees that the Sisko Becomes Space Jesus part is arguably the least interesting story arc of the final season.

But I was reminded of just how impressive it is that the writers and Nicole de Boer managed to make Ezri a fully-realized character in such a short amount of time.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tighclops posted:

If I had a flippable table in front of me, I would probably flip it.

I guess there's no money in remastering stuff for streaming services? That sucks.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe if the new Trek series is a big hit it may prompt some interest in the older series as well.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

"give us money or we bring back Berman and Braga"

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah we go back and forth on the Dax thing. Personally I think the character of Jadzia Dax and the actress Terry Farrell ruined a lot of poo poo in DS9. The fact that she was only the outer half of a symbiotic organism didn't seem to do much to the character - instead, random dumb poo poo would just come floating up from the writers and happen to her, and she would respond with bad acting. The timing sucked, but replacing her with anything seemed like a good move, so maybe I give Ezri Dax and Nicole de Boer too much cred. However, I liked that Ezri Dax being a symbiotic organism was driving her nuts, and when poo poo came down on her she responded by successfully conveying confusion, impulsiveness and frustration.

I'm sure some goon knows the straight dope on why Farrell got canned, but I think if it had happened two seasons earlier and they had more time for Ezri's character to settle in (and break up with Bashir and face more of the horrors of war and give Sisko a new, different kind of chummy advice) it would have been good for the show. Farrell also got canned from that Ted Danson show and was cast as The Cat in the unbelievably crappy American version of Red Dwarf, too, so maybe she's just bad luck or terrible or something.

Also I grant Ezri's breakout episode was hilariously lovely and boring. Ummm I guess I probably said all this before, but it sticks in my head every time I watch ds9 so

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Maybe if the new Trek series is a big hit it may prompt some interest in the older series as well.

lol nice try viral marketer

maybe if everyone buys enough jar jar dolls they'll do a HD release of theatrical star wars

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Somewhere on Cardassia there is a Worf/Ezri gently caress tape.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Tujague posted:

I'm sure some goon knows the straight dope on why Farrell got canned, but I think if it had happened two seasons earlier and they had more time for Ezri's character to settle in (and break up with Bashir and face more of the horrors of war and give Sisko a new, different kind of chummy advice) it would have been good for the show. Farrell also got canned from that Ted Danson show and was cast as The Cat in the unbelievably crappy American version of Red Dwarf, too, so maybe she's just bad luck or terrible or something.

she left, to do becker. they weren't happy about it

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

she left, to do becker. they weren't happy about it

She left Becker early as well. Some people believe it was due to a contract dispute, but one of the writers states here, http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-did-terry-ferrell-leave-becker.html , that that was not the case. Although, the writer at the end says that the decision making process was run by the executives, so I see that it could see that they may have been tempted to agree with writing her off. I think she probably felt she would make more money and have a better career jumping onto a sitcom with a more mainstream actor, Ted Danson, than staying with Star Trek, which may have been relatively niche at the time. Some cursory research yields that her career never quite took off like she expected, and she retired from acting and married the Sprint guy around 2003.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
She was one of the few that does not realize once you are in Star Trek, you are forever in Star Trek.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I came to appreciate Jadzia's character after seeing DS9 a couple times and I realized whatever problems I had with the character were almost 100% Farrell's acting and the rest is the writing. It's like the writers couldn't decide if Jadzia was

1) a free spirited, try-anything-once kinda woman whose wilder tendencies were curbed by the experience and wisdom the symbiote provided her , or
2) a perfectionist stickler whose past hosts allowed her to break free of her shell and realize that life has to be seized by the balls.

Farrell could pull off neither.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tujague posted:

Also I grant Ezri's breakout episode was hilariously lovely and boring. Ummm I guess I probably said all this before, but it sticks in my head every time I watch ds9 so

I've said before that they should've deliberately started with a wise, older host with plans to kill and replace them after a season or two, it would've been a much way to use Dax.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think her symbiont should have been replaced by a changeling and she gets all hosed up

that would have been cool

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If we are hashing out plot regrets then I think its a tragedy they never kept up with clone Kahless, to see him grow fat on blood-calzones and constantly ruin ceremonies with boring tales of anonymous, heedless men from Quin'lat and become an embarrassment for the whole empire, causing some lowly p'tahk in a dark alley to get sick of the whole charade and knife Kahless to death, giving rise to the most favored of Klingon holidays, "The Festival Of The Alleyway Knifing Of Fat Clone Kahless" which caps off "We Killed Our Gods" week.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I dunno, I think it would have looked pretty awful if they started out with Curzon Dax played by some grizzly old guy and then BAM he croaks and they pull out the hottie.

Shab is right, they couldn't show you a cool dichotomy between Curzon and Jadzia because one of them was a hedonistic, cynical old bastard and the other one was a mascara commercial. You can imagine what Ezri was like before she got the slug but Jadzia? I dunno, the most boring, vapid overachiever ever to graduate summa cum laude from Deep Space Girl's Prep Academy? Odo was a better half-Curzon.

Maybe I'm too harsh. Like, by the time they got to Trill Lesbian Kiss Drama episode, she had learned to act better, and it's p rad they made a real character into a love interest for Worf who was almost as big a klingon weaboo. That opened up a lot of poo poo and it's not like it was going to be Kira. And some of the sexual-tension sparring with Bashir was OK.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would consider paying a small fee to watch it if it was on a service I already use like Hulu/Amazon/Netflix, but I am not going to get yet another streaming service just for Star Trek.

That makes sense, but are there enough other people out there who would do the same?

I guess at the end of the day it's entirely possible that no matter how you package or price it, there's just not enough demand to generate the profits that CBS thinks is necessary to justify spending millions of dollars on that kind of project.

EDIT: That said, I completely sympathize with the "buy-in" sentiment, especially when you consider just how ridiculously high the margins must have been on those DVD sets.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
*Warning Jadzia apologist here! Don't read this if you don't want to read nice thoughts on the Dax symbionts seventh host

I liked Jadzia, maybe not as the main character in a episode (Meridan ugh!) but she was a good sounding board for other characters. Terry Farrell wasn't the best actor at the start but I did read somewhere that she was super nervous in the first season because she'd barely acted before and the writers had given her this character which they would only describe in very vague term as being "wise" and "like yoda" but in the body of a young woman in her late twenties. In season 2, they effectively retooled the character of Jadzia and allowed her to be fun with some joie de vivre thrown in that more closely aligned to Terry Farrell's personality. Sort of how Riker slowly morphed into Jonathan Frakes during the seven years of tng as the writers let Riker smile/joke and his portrayal of the character lead the writing rather than the other way round.

More than any other character on DS9, Jadzia had a number of really strong relationships that had built up over a number of years; her close personal relationship with Sisko, marriage to Worf, Kira's female friend, a relationship with bashir that started as unrequited flirting but deepened so that after O'Brien she was his best friend...oh and she was the only one of the main cast who genuinely seemed to like Quark and appreciate his better qualities.

She also wanted to replace Ezri with a Hot Trill warrior man to terrify then seduce Worf
http://youtu.be/3czmXhHXjhM

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, goons in this thread love to poo poo all over Farrel, but could someone point out a specific example of her terrible acting? I don't think she was ever gonna win a golden globe, but she seemed fine after the first season or two. And lets be honest, the first season or two of virtually every Trek is rough and lovely, with people desperately trying to define their characters.

The only thing I can think of is her supremely uninspiring recitation of Sisko's inspirational "spent phaser power cell" speech from Behind the Lines. "Take a gooooooood look at this, people...." Urgh, it was terrible.

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.
the way she says "symbiont"

By definition she's the person who says it the most!

It's worse than Shatner's "sabotaaage"

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Mondian posted:

Yeah, goons in this thread love to poo poo all over Farrel, but could someone point out a specific example of her terrible acting? I don't think she was ever gonna win a golden globe, but she seemed fine after the first season or two. And lets be honest, the first season or two of virtually every Trek is rough and lovely, with people desperately trying to define their characters.

The only thing I can think of is her supremely uninspiring recitation of Sisko's inspirational "spent phaser power cell" speech from Behind the Lines. "Take a gooooooood look at this, people...." Urgh, it was terrible.

The first time I watched that episode with the spent phaser cell speech, I though she was doing the speech badly on purpose as a comically exaggerated version of Sisko, making fun of how stuffy and serious he is. But no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Figaro posted:

The first time I watched that episode with the spent phaser cell speech, I though she was doing the speech badly on purpose as a comically exaggerated version of Sisko, making fun of how stuffy and serious he is. But no

If she had said it with a roguish twinkle in her eye or something it would have redeemed the delivery entirely

• Locked thread