Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

One day you'll succeed in looking like a Russian gangster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Whats the story on the degrading wiring harness - Is it only engine bay or the entire car?

Entire car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

gently caress. Friend has issues with his. I am helping him this weekend rebuild his old harness, but if its the entire car.... :psypop:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
CSB probably knows more about it than I do but I doubt the cabin side of the harness is falling apart. At least in Volvos with the same problem, the insulation usually only crumbles in the areas of the engine compartment that get really hot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zundfolge posted:

the insulation usually only crumbles in the areas of the engine compartment that get really hot.

To begin with.

It's all the same poo poo insulation.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I just noticed my brake lights only work with the key in the on position. I find that weird.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

I helped for an hour. I couldn't take anymore so I came home and worked on my leaky bathroom instead. Motronic saw the horror, I'm not sure which is worse.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
Am I crazy for thinking I should buy an acquaintances' 1974 gasoline carbureted 240 for $2500? Car has either 58000, or 158000 miles and looks like its all original. Downside is that it leaks a small puddle of ATF from what looks like the front main seal, and that I know nothing about MB.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
240 are always diesel, so unless that was a typo something is not original. The W114/W115 is technically reliable if it's well maintained, but known to rust in hard to see places. I don't know the prices in the US, but in Germany good, ready-to-drive, W114/W115 start at 6000 to 10000 EUR depending on model and extras, so $2500 would be a restauration object over here.

Feb 8, 2008
Model should be a 280E I believe. Transmission leaking is a big issue, not to mention general 40 year old everything on the car. Unless it's in pristine condition, sounds like about a $1,000 project car. Probably not the best choice for your first Mercedes. Find an 80's model W123 300D turbo diesel or a W124 300E gas and you'll have much more luck.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

230s are 4 cylinder petrol motors, 240s are diesel

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
So i bought the 1975 280 ( i am dumb and numbers all look the same sometimes. ) A few little rough spots but overall I think its a neat little* car. Here are the pics from the last dummy who owned it http://s483.photobucket.com/user/reoporter/slideshow/
I paid 2k.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Welcome to the club. I don't like the steering wheel they got after the facelift, if you're not dedicated to keep things original get a pre-facelift wheel:

Also check the underside of doors and girders (not sure that's the correct english word) for the water drainage holes, they often got plastered closed in restauration jobs.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Those floor mats are loving amazing

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks guys. This thing is awesome to drive, I am thinking about buying a monocle.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

morethanjake32 posted:

Thanks guys. This thing is awesome to drive, I am thinking about buying a monocle.

Monocles are really reserved for the people in Rolls Royce's :wotwot:

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Monocles are really reserved for the people in Rolls Royce's :wotwot:

And only the person in the back seat.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

Anaconda don't want none

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mythadile posted:

Anaconda don't want none

Them buns. :D

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

morethanjake32 posted:

So i bought the 1975 280 ( i am dumb and numbers all look the same sometimes. ) A few little rough spots but overall I think its a neat little* car. Here are the pics from the last dummy who owned it http://s483.photobucket.com/user/reoporter/slideshow/
I paid 2k.

My parents used to have a 280, cream colour. Had manual windows and the prefacelift steering wheel. The drat thing leaked big time around the windscreen scuttle area every time it rained. Even with replacing the windscreen and rubbers it would still leak.

Other than that, it was a very reliable old bus.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Any of you guys have any advice on removing front springs from a 92 300E? I don't have a fancy Mercedes spring compressor as should be noted. Shop seems to be at a disagreement if I unbolt the shock from the knuckle, or the ball joint from the knuckle. and what mask should I wear when it flies into my face? Hockey goalie, or baseball catcher.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

My buddy is considering buying a 2003 S55 AMG with 80k miles on it, what does he need to know about gremlins and such. He already knows the suspension could be a nightmare but according to the maintenance reports it's been done at least once.

The car is from Texas so rust and such shouldn't be an issue.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Shrapnig posted:

My buddy is considering buying a 2003 S55 AMG with 80k miles on it, what does he need to know about gremlins and such. He already knows the suspension could be a nightmare but according to the maintenance reports it's been done at least once.

Heres a link to finding the Technical Service Bulletins. I cant link my search results cause govt. web pages suck rear end.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

*Figured out the springs tomorrow i get to put new ones in. Should be fun.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 16, 2015

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Those are profoundly unreliable machines. Amazing, but costly to own. The W220 chasis was unreliable in every flavor, its just that the S55 and the S600 have spectacularly expensive parts as well.
Its not an understatement to say these cars were at the nadir of Chryslers lovely cost-cuting.
Unless he is truly ready to foot the bill for a super-exotic then he should run far away.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Electric systems, brake systems, suspension components large and small, brakes and tires cost well over $2,000 etc. I wouldn't approach that car unless I could buy it outright and still have at least $10,000 banked for maintenance at a trustworthy indy shop. Fortunately the engine and transmission are typically bulletproof its just everything else that's the issue.

also mods please update thread title to G65 to reflect changing market conditions

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've wanted a mid-70's to mid-80's SL convertible for years and have recently discovered they are surprisingly affordable at the same time I have an excess of income and a child turning driving age (meaning we'll need a 3rd car). The thing is, this can't be that easy. There's got to be a catch and I'm willing to guess it's incredibly expensive maintenance costs.

Can anyone give me an idea what I'm getting into if I buy one of these next year as a daily driver. I drove a '72 Bug for almost a decade in my youth, so I'm used to older cars. But Bugs are super cheap to repair. Mercedes...probably not?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A very good friend of mine had a 78 that the motor was junked in, so he replaced the drivetrain with a crate chevy small block and trans from Summit. It's been very reliable and fast ever since. Very easy swap, too.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've wanted a mid-70's to mid-80's SL convertible for years and have recently discovered they are surprisingly affordable at the same time I have an excess of income and a child turning driving age (meaning we'll need a 3rd car). The thing is, this can't be that easy. There's got to be a catch and I'm willing to guess it's incredibly expensive maintenance costs.

Can anyone give me an idea what I'm getting into if I buy one of these next year as a daily driver. I drove a '72 Bug for almost a decade in my youth, so I'm used to older cars. But Bugs are super cheap to repair. Mercedes...probably not?

I have a '86 560SL and I'd look for one of them if the budget allows (they're from '86 to '89). You'll probably pay a little more but it's newer and there are very few issues with them. The car was designed in the 60's/70's so by the end of the 80's they had really ironed out all the major issues. They can also move pretty quickly and are surprisingly fun to drive. I wouldn't say they're fast, but they can hustle a bit.

To make it a daily driver you will definitely want to budget some money for catching up on maintenance and repairs. Stuff like the fuel injectors might need to be replaced at its current age (mine have to be). You'll save a lot of money if you can do most wrenching yourself. Parts seem to be about average price compared to other cars--at least, I haven't seen any part costs that are as crazy as some modern mercs. Labor could be a real killer though if you're taking it into the shop all the time. The car is pretty easy to work on, although be careful because all the drat plastic connectors get super brittle and break at the slightest bit of pressure (ask me how I know).

Overall it's a fun car and yeah they're crazy cheap. Mine was a bit under $5k with 130k miles on it.

edit: The mileage does suck on the 5.6L engine though. Expect around 13mpg or so at best in mixed city & highway driving. Luckily oil is down to $50/barrel!

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 26, 2015

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

I have a '86 560SL and I'd look for one of them if the budget allows (they're from '86 to '89). You'll probably pay a little more but it's newer and there are very few issues with them. The car was designed in the 60's/70's so by the end of the 80's they had really ironed out all the major issues. They can also move pretty quickly and are surprisingly fun to drive. I wouldn't say they're fast, but they can hustle a bit.

To make it a daily driver you will definitely want to budget some money for catching up on maintenance and repairs. Stuff like the fuel injectors might need to be replaced at its current age (mine have to be). You'll save a lot of money if you can do most wrenching yourself. Parts seem to be about average price compared to other cars--at least, I haven't seen any part costs that are as crazy as some modern mercs. Labor could be a real killer though if you're taking it into the shop all the time. The car is pretty easy to work on, although be careful because all the drat plastic connectors get super brittle and break at the slightest bit of pressure (ask me how I know).

Overall it's a fun car and yeah they're crazy cheap. Mine was a bit under $5k with 130k miles on it.

edit: The mileage does suck on the 5.6L engine though. Expect around 13mpg or so at best in mixed city & highway driving. Luckily oil is down to $50/barrel!

I didn't realize the gas mileage was that low. I thought it was closer to 20, but I may have been looking at one of the older V6 models. I mean, I don't know what I expected. It is a V8 engine from the 1980's.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Krispy Kareem posted:

I didn't realize the gas mileage was that low. I thought it was closer to 20, but I may have been looking at one of the older V6 models. I mean, I don't know what I expected. It is a V8 engine from the 1980's.

I don't think the v6s would hit 20 either.

Having had a 560sl and driven the 380, you DEFINITELY want the 560. It really is a lot more fun.
Even if you drive 12,000 miles a year (13mpg to 20mpg) will only be ~$500 difference.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The I6 in my wagon is lucky to get 20 when I'm being very gentle. Mercedes is just not the car you buy for fuel economy, generally.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

My mighty 190D gets like 35 mpg, you just have the wrong engine/fuel.

After being around my friend's vw beetle convertible, I kinda want to get an sl convertible and switch out the engine for diesel; that isn't happening anytime soon though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My 300SD gets about 30mpg and isn't life threatening to drive on the highway :smug:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'll race you guys in my 560SL any day (when it's running). :smug:

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
This ended up longer than I thought it would be...

Well, the day finally arrived. On Friday the 13th, I totaled "Sony's 'My First Mercedes'", my 2005 Crossfire Limited Coupe. 10 years, 200,000 miles. The most ridiculous car I've ever owned, but it was my love from the moment I bought it new off the lot. I came up on totally stopped traffic on the interstate. Antilock brakes, traction control, and anti-skid saved my life. I was able to pull to the left far enough to only sideswipe the rear bumper of the Trailblazer right in front of me, and the damage on my car didn't start until about 3-6 inches back from the door hinges, but it did enough. Tore the right side door and back quarter panel to bits, bent the fuel filler neck, and smacked my back right tire hard enough to break off the disk brake caliper and let it drag the ground. I skidded sideways in the grass median for about 50-60 yards before finally stopping. The Mazda 3 behind me saw everything I was doing, but had no skills or mechanical help and smashed straight into the rear of the SUV. Luckily, it looks like only minor physical damage was done to the SUV riders/driver. I was fine, the Mazda 3 driver seemed ok except for a nice mark on his forehead from the airbag. Insurance said that repairs on my car were almost what it was worth, but I ended up getting a check for almost $5k even after my deductible.

I decided that it was the technology in the car that saved my life rather than my driving experience, so I decided I'd get another Merc, but a real one this time. Test drove a 2005 W211 E320 base model Sedan with 109k miles. Tried a C-series, but it had major problems. Ended up testing a 2004 E500 Wagon. Fewer miles by a little bit, and so much more in terms of extra options. E320 Sedan Carfax was clean, E500 Wagon Carfax had a Title tattoo: Buyback/Lemon. Seems that in 2004, there was a system-wide issue. MB bought the car back from the purchaser, took it back to Germany, and fixed the lemon issue along with the rest of the fleet, but the title is tainted forever until that car is disassembled, melted down, and turned into something else. Wagon drove like a dream, but the 8 cylinder was very thirsty compared to the 6 cylinder in the Sedan, and this is a car I will be driving 3 hours a day getting to and from work. Almost all of it interstate mileage.

First time I ever negotiated on a car price. Ever. The sedan started at $9500 for the car. They dropped it to $8000 even. The other dealership offered me the wagon $8000 even out the door, taxes, etc. The sedan was at $888x.xx out the door. I wanted the sedan, but I was in a quandary. I called the dealership with the sedan and said, "I'm calling to give you the chance to win". I got them to drop the car price to $7500, making it $83xx.xx out the door. But, one thing is making the situation complex.

Here's a pic of the issue: http://1drv.ms/1QKh4pF. When I test-drove the car, I told them that had to be fixed, otherwise the deal was off. They had the airbag controller removed, taken to Nashville, reflashed, and reset. No change in the error. I decided to purchase the car anyway with the provision that they fix that issue. Yes, I did have that written into the sales contract. Also, with that error, there's a yellow LED to the right of the triangle emergency flasher button that stays on all the time. I've been researching this like crazy and here's the issue:

In the early 2000's, people began to complain about airbag deployments decapitating their children sitting in the front seat in child seats, or crushing them if the seat was turned around backwards. My Crossfire had a key slot in the passenger side that would turn the passenger side airbag off and on. Mercedes' very clever fix on the E-class was to put a weight measuring device in the front passenger seat. If nobody was in the seat or if a child weighing less than a certain amount was in the front seat, the front passenger airbag would automatically disable and the LED would show yellow. If an adult sat in the seat, it would enable the airbag and turn off the LED. In my car, it doesn't matter if an adult or nobody is in the seat, the light stays on and that error above shows up. The SRS light stays on as well.

I believe one of two things has happened. Either the weight device has a short or an open causing the resistance measured to be too low or high, or the wires connecting the device to the airbag module have shorted or broken. The dealership has ordered a new airbag control module (The dealership manager is my salesman and he sent me the tracking number of the item so I can know they did order it and when it comes in). They aren't charging me for this, or the labor, or the labor and work they've already done to handle this error. Personally, I hope this module is the fix, but if it doesn't repair the issue, it really makes me think the sensor or the wires have gone bad.

I want to keep the car. It's amazing other than this. If the new module doesn't fix the issue, I'm not certain how much fight they'll put up against doing anything else. When it comes down to brass tacks, I'll be the only person in this car most of the time, an adult would be in the front seat if I'm not alone, and I will never put children in the front passenger seat. I've found sensor simulators/emulators/bypassers that tell the airbag module that an adult is always in the seat, so the airbag will always be armed. I'd rather get it fixed for real, though.

I guess I'm asking what I should do if the new module does not fix the issue. I have records from the MB dealership not far from me that did the maintenance on the car and would have records of all the work done. I could possibly stop there and have them run their reader against the system to get the messages that are firing off the SRS malfunction message. It won't bother me to drop a few bucks to get that done. This is a safety issue, though. How hard should I push the dealership I bought this from to get this message handled, and when should I take the fix into my own hands? If they offer to buy the car back, I don't want to agree. I'd rather keep the car.

So, with all that being said, what's the AI Goon opinion?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GPF posted:

Well, the day finally arrived. On Friday the 13th, I totaled "Sony's 'My First Mercedes'", my 2005 Crossfire Limited Coupe. 10 years, 200,000 miles. The most ridiculous car I've ever owned, but it was my love from the moment I bought it new off the lot. I came up on totally stopped traffic on the interstate. Antilock brakes, traction control, and anti-skid saved my life. [...]The Mazda 3 behind me saw everything I was doing, but had no [...] mechanical help

So, with all that being said, what's the AI Goon opinion?

Any Mazda3 is new enough to have traction control and ABS too, and depending on options had ESC too.

And the Crossfire is a kind of terrible car, so terrible in fact that Chrysler had to blow out the excess unsold inventory on overstock.com

And also lol at buying a lemon branded car from a dealer. If you possessed some common sense or had asked for advice here first, you could have gotten a far nicer Merc, without problems from a private party seller for the same money. This post reads like "Fisher Price's Baby's First Car Buying Fiasco".

blk
Dec 19, 2009

GPF posted:

E500 Wagon Carfax had a Title tattoo: Buyback/Lemon. Seems that in 2004, there was a system-wide issue. MB bought the car back from the purchaser, took it back to Germany, and fixed the lemon issue along with the rest of the fleet, but the title is tainted forever until that car is disassembled, melted down, and turned into something else.

Wait, what? Are you saying all 2004 E500 wagons were lemon lawed? Either way, it was probably with good reason.

We can't really fix the choices you've made up to this point, but this car and situation sound like a lot more trouble than they're worth.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

HotCanadianChick posted:

Any Mazda3 is new enough to have traction control and ABS too, and depending on options had ESC too.

No, traction control wasn't standard until 2007. Only GT models had it before then. ABS was not standard on 2.0 models (maybe not even an option). Don't know when stability control was available / an option, 2007 or after according to IIHS, don't know which models.

Anyways try not to drive into the back of stuff this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Take it back and buy this instead http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-AMG-/361437381594?forcerrptr=true&hash=item542758c3da:g:34AAAOSwnipWVzXb&item=361437381594