Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cry Havoc posted:

i will enjoy this movie if:

-an orc says "me not that kind of orc"

-a sheep explodes

They should make use of eye-tracking technology and have a sheep explode whenever enough members of the audience looked at it repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Would it be fair to say that Diablo 3's biggest issue was the auction house? I've never played D3 but that always seemed like a colossally bad idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Red Mundus posted:

Would it be fair to say that Diablo 3's biggest issue was the auction house? I've never played D3 but that always seemed like a colossally bad idea.

I didn't play long enough for that to come into play, but I heard literally everyone in the world complaining about how it affected the loot system and Blizzard eventually dropped it, so probably.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red Mundus posted:

At launch, yes almost certainly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The drop system was awful, so the entire game became the auction house. AH prices inflated ludicrously so that if you were not an auction shark the game was worthless.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Red Mundus posted:

a goon got like 5 figures off that then wasted it on drugs, boys, and trips.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
In the second half of the movie they should retcon the first half. Some guy can say "you don't understand, what actually happened is this...."

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Long ago I swore an oath to not get hooked on Diablo 2 again.

Whenever I get the urge to mow down waves of mobs with an army of skeletons, I remember maggot lair and arcane sanctuary.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Med School posted:

In the second half of the movie they should retcon the first half. Some guy can say "you don't understand, what actually happened is this...."

They actually needed to do this with the first two games because in both of them the two storylines were contradictory: one had the alliance winning and the other had the horde winning. In Beyond the Dark Portal they didn't contradict but confusingly took place at the same time, so they only made sense if you compared the two storyline progressions.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I always thought it would be cooler (and more creative) of the writers to just make up some new awesome stuff that happens. Why do you have to change and devalue everything your audience already experienced.

Comic books and Manga do this too and it pisses me off. Looking at you X Men and Naruto

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

because they're dumb shits that don't understand why people like their stuff or what made it interesting to begin with (see SC2, and diablo 3, and wow, the star wars prequels,)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you guys keep going you'll attract one of those awful posters who thinks continuity is bad and thinks it's "dope" when creators can't remember what happened in their own work.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh i also forgot to list that games workshop retconned their coolest thing too (ollanius pius in 40k, they also ruined the necron but they weren't the coolest) so warcraft is in good company.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
also if someone named leeroy has some chicken

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Med School posted:

I always thought it would be cooler (and more creative) of the writers to just make up some new awesome stuff that happens. Why do you have to change and devalue everything your audience already experienced.

Comic books and Manga do this too and it pisses me off. Looking at you X Men and Naruto

Almost any shared fantasy universe that is a corporate peice of Intellectual Property and not controlled by some original creator -- whether it's a comic book, a movie series, video games, a tabletop game setting, -- tends to get shittier and shittier as it becomes more convoluted and stupid, and as any original badassess gets overwhelmed by dumb fan service stuff.

I honestly think the only solution would be to just not make every game have to be part of some epic and ever growing backstory. Warcraft and Diablo were fun simple little games. After a sequel or two Blizzard should have just moved on to a totally new universe and storyline.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
yeah but slapping the name call of duty on there rather than generic military shooter means more sales$$$$$

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cry Havoc posted:

yeah but slapping the name call of duty on there rather than generic military shooter means more sales$$$$$

That doesn't mean it has to follow continuity though. Like the Resident Evil movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
With each one more violently determined to ignore the last one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

With each one more violently determined to ignore the last one.

It would be interesting to see whether the movies or the games have the more ridiculous storyline. I'm inclined to say the games but the movies sure caught up fast.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Oh man, I forgot they were making this. I have a soft spot in my heart for cheesy fantasy. I like how all the orcs look like baby Hulks :3

Lurdiak posted:

If you guys keep going you'll attract one of those awful posters who thinks continuity is bad and thinks it's "dope" when creators can't remember what happened in their own work.

Present!

Canon relies on the audience's imagination to create (or deny) the connections across different authors, mediums, copyrights and publishing companies.

It is dope when creators just go "I dunno, a wizard did it" because it's really funny

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 27, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Black Bones posted:

Oh man, I forgot they were making this. I have a soft spot in my heart for cheesy fantasy. I like how all the orcs look like baby Hulks :3

Present!

Canon relies on the audience's imagination to create (or deny) the connections across different authors, mediums, copyrights and publishing companies.

It is dope when creators just go "I dunno, a wizard did it" because it's really funny

Especially for a genre like RTSes where coming up with excuses for every group to fight every other group trumps just about everything else, which is why the "got zapped by a purple laser and is now evil" trope is so common in their games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Black Bones posted:

it is funny in the jesus christ how are they this bad kinda way. i don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It would be interesting to see whether the movies or the games have the more ridiculous storyline. I'm inclined to say the games but the movies sure caught up fast.

The games got crazy because they're still trying to hold everything together in a coherent way. The movies gave up on that. Set a movie on a ship, blow up that ship in the next movie, never speak of it again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still hate how those movies are weird matrix fanfic over stylized bad CG crapfests, because the simple b-movie homage plot of the first 3 games would have made for some perfectly enjoyable films if played straight.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Actually thats exactly why those movies own. If they were played straight they'd be complete garbage like every other similar movie including the Matrix

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Helsing posted:

Queen of Blades is a strange title for someone who never, so far as I can tell, was ever seen holding or using a blade. I guess that "Queen of Weird Boney Spines" doesn't quite have the same cachet though.

Blades are warriors or assassins in this context. The Queen of Blades is the Overmind's best killer. I like how it's a medieval sounding title used in a sci-fi setting.

It's just a shame that Kerrigan everything is ruined by the poor writing in Starcraft 2. SC1 had a decent space opera thing going. SC2 is an ancient evil melodrama.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 2, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Blades are warriors or assassins in this context. The Queen of Blades is the Overmind's best killer. I like how it's a medieval sounding title used in a sci-fi setting.

It's just a shame that Kerrigan everything is ruined by the poor writing in Starcraft 2. SC1 had a decent space opera thing going. SC2 is an ancient evil melodrama.

I'm playing Heart of the Swarm at the moment, and yeah, all of the Zerg being anthropomorphic (or all the characters you talk to) is just weird. I miss taking orders from huge maggots and a giant eyeball.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I am looking forward to the movie. It doesn't match the aesthetic of the LOTR movies but nothing does.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Donnerberg posted:

I'm kinda taking a shot in the dark here because I don't know very much about the plot of either the post-2003 Warcraft universe nor the post-1998 Starcraft universe but based on what I've heard it sure sounds like the metaplots of both stories basically became the same poo poo. I assume this happened to Diablo as well because having the same hack writer for 20 years working on every game probably means you're gonna get the same story being recycled endlessly.

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm playing Heart of the Swarm at the moment, and yeah, all of the Zerg being anthropomorphic (or all the characters you talk to) is just weird. I miss taking orders from huge maggots and a giant eyeball.

I think they had to get rid of the cerebrates and Overmind because of a legal dispute with Games Workshop, who correctly understood that the Zerg are basically a massive rip off of the Tyranids.

It's bullshit, of course, because everything in the Games Workshop universe is directly ripped off from Michael Moorcock, Dune, Tolkien, Aliens and Terminator.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Safe to say no one plays Blizzard games for the stories anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

Actually thats exactly why those movies own. If they were played straight they'd be complete garbage like every other similar movie including the Matrix

if they were actually trying to be the games they'd have no matrix elements whatsoever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The MSJ posted:

i think anyone who could write even half decently at blizzard left after diablo 2.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

if they were actually trying to be the games

they arent

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The MSJ posted:

WoW's got enough stuff going on that it frequently has decent side-stories (by the standard of gaming), or small sections of the main story. The Arrakoa stuff in the recent expansion was pretty good, despite the overall story being a dumb alt-universe time-travel thing written by people who were hell-bent on ignoring anything interesting that could lead to.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

WoW's got enough stuff going on that it frequently has decent side-stories (by the standard of gaming), or small sections of the main story. The Arrakoa stuff in the recent expansion was pretty good, despite the overall story being a dumb alt-universe time-travel thing written by people who were hell-bent on ignoring anything interesting that could lead to.

This is true of lots of big fantasy universes. There's so much stuff that they luck onto a good idea every now and then. Like WH40k with the space ork's technology.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Helsing posted:

I'm kinda taking a shot in the dark here because I don't know very much about the plot of either the post-2003 Warcraft universe nor the post-1998 Starcraft universe but based on what I've heard it sure sounds like the metaplots of both stories basically became the same poo poo. I assume this happened to Diablo as well because having the same hack writer for 20 years working on every game probably means you're gonna get the same story being recycled endlessly.

I think they had to get rid of the cerebrates and Overmind because of a legal dispute with Games Workshop, who correctly understood that the Zerg are basically a massive rip off of the Tyranids.

It's bullshit, of course, because everything in the Games Workshop universe is directly ripped off from Michael Moorcock, Dune, Tolkien, Aliens and Terminator.

Also after Starcraft got big they went back and retconed the Tyranids from being bug people to shameless copies of the Zerg so it's just one big incestuous feedback loop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

This is true of lots of big fantasy universes. There's so much stuff that they luck onto a good idea every now and then. Like WH40k with the space ork's technology.

surprised they aint retconned the ork tech thing since they've retconned everything good in that universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

they arent

Right, thus your comment did not apply to my comment. :pipe:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Groovelord Neato posted:

surprised they aint retconned the ork tech thing since they've retconned everything good in that universe.

They've actually made an active effort to do just that, iirc, its just that loving with orks appears to be the one thing 40k fans will actually start poo poo over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Snowman_McK posted:

Definitely, it just ends up being a bit more noticeable with Warcraft (compared to Diablo or Starcraft) because of the sheer volume of content.

• Locked thread