Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

Alright, I'll pick up those two. I remember a bit more about Common Sense since I was paying attention when it came out, and I'll hold off on it for now. This should be plenty to keep me busy for a while.

Art of war is probably the most essential expansion to this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I agree that Art of War is the first expansion to pick up, but note that the relevant map changes were made available for free.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fintilgin posted:

I don't know why Rosetta is event driven though. The default game has some similar stuff for certain provinces, so can't they put all those changes directly into the province file/localization now and avoid a the heavy event hit?

Probably a holdover from the first mods that did that, back in eu3; too much work to move everything over, rather than just keep incrementally patching the existing events.

that'd be my guess, anyway.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Palleon posted:

There's still hope that they could add an earlier start date when Byzantium still has a non-gamey chance. I was kind of expecting them to maybe do that with Cossacks because of all the new Horde mechanics, give them a start date when they're still at their peak instead of already in a deep decline.

I kind of miss the Golden Horde 1399 start.

My impression was that Paradox has said they don't want or intend to move the start date back.

I always liked 1399 too, but 1444 is pretty good. If I were running things, I'd probably wash my hands of Byzantium and start in June of 1453, but...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I dunno who says Byzantium isn't based on luck. You restart until Poland rivals ottomans, and then restart until you get a dip rep advisor, and then restart until ottomans don't declare on you before the alliance, and then restart until Poland doesn't go to war with teutons and leave you to die.

Edit: to whoever said Byzantium needed a nerf? I just saw it on last page.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

GreyPowerVan posted:

I dunno who says Byzantium isn't based on luck. You restart until Poland rivals ottomans, and then restart until you get a dip rep advisor, and then restart until ottomans don't declare on you before the alliance, and then restart until Poland doesn't go to war with teutons and leave you to die.

Edit: to whoever said Byzantium needed a nerf? I just saw it on last page.

the few times I've played Byz in the past has made me desperately crave a civ-style "Quick Restart" button for this game

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I didn't need Poland to rival the Ottomans in my Basileus game. All I had to do was take a shitton of loans, build lots of galleys, and hope the Ottomans waste their time with Anatolian minors. While their troops are across the strait, blockade it, declare war, get everything in Greece back. Then you're big enough to get some decent allies.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

My impression was that Paradox has said they don't want or intend to move the start date back.

I always liked 1399 too, but 1444 is pretty good. If I were running things, I'd probably wash my hands of Byzantium and start in June of 1453, but...

I would really like having a 1399 start again, I just like the map more and it gives more options to play around before colonization starts. Also Bohemia is the better HRE.

This game is most fun pre 1600 really, so by playing from 1399 until 1600 you get the most out of it.

vvvvv Yes, that is no problem, if you make sure everyone actually has both infantry and cavalry for tech1. The Paradox-subhumans have their tech malus to keep them in place.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 26, 2015

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Tahirovic posted:

I would really like having a 1399 start again, I just like the map more and it gives more options to play around before colonization starts. Also Bohemia is the better HRE.

This game is most fun pre 1600 really, so by playing from 1399 until 1600 you get the most out of it.

How would you balance it though? The tech system isn't currently designed for it. I mean, do you just start the entire world at tech 1?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I can't help but laugh at the Scheming Bureaucracy event that fires where your monarch inadvertedly signs away his entire kingdom.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Node posted:

I didn't need Poland to rival the Ottomans in my Basileus game. All I had to do was take a shitton of loans, build lots of galleys, and hope the Ottomans waste their time with Anatolian minors. While their troops are across the strait, blockade it, declare war, get everything in Greece back. Then you're big enough to get some decent allies.

If you don't have an alliance with poland you'll be restarting even more often so they don't declare on you. it takes a lot of resetting either way until everything goes perfect

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Node posted:

The way I see it, now you need to take even more loans for mercs to quickly take Edirne in order to blockade the straits. Eh, much harder but still doable.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Another RNW DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-november-26th-2015.892682/

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Node posted:

Does this actually work now? I know it used to but a few patches ago I made another attempt and my fleet just got demolished every time. Not sure how you can do it now without Poland and an advisor.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I can't help but laugh at the Scheming Bureaucracy event that fires where your monarch inadvertedly signs away his entire kingdom.

In earlier versions of the game, a combination of the event being more common & the ai's preferences would cause basically every western nation to become a bureaucratic despotism by the late game.

I guess it's for the best that they fixed that... probably.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

jesus paradox slow down a bit, we already have two essential DLCs. Adding a third to that list is going to run me dry. :(

Edit: I also appreciate the province of "Gitgud" in that last screenshot.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 26, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

This is going to mix alternate history and actual history just right for me and for this game.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

VerdantSquire posted:

jesus paradox slow down a bit, we already have two essential DLCs. Adding a third to that list is going to run me dry. :(

Edit: I also appreciate the province of "Gitgud" in that last screenshot.

This is going to be free because Wiz wasn't entirely satisfied with the original RNW offering. Anward/Sanders 2016 is the ticket we need, clearly.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Do we know if the DLC will be compatible with current save games?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dibujante posted:

This is going to be free because Wiz wasn't entirely satisfied with the original RNW offering. Anward/Sanders 2016 is the ticket we need, clearly.

I think you still need Conquest of Paradise, though.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Star posted:

Safe bet is save games won't be compatible with the new patch, major patches usually break old games.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elman posted:

Yeah, the patch fixes RNW. But you need CoP to enable it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This is triggering my OCD something fierce.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Elman posted:

You do. Get Conquest of Paradise.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

First game after The Cossacks comes out is absolutely going to be colonial Genoa with RNW on. That should be a lot of fun.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Soup du Jour posted:

First game after The Cossacks comes out is absolutely going to be colonial Genoa with RNW on. That should be a lot of fun.

I'm going to try to colonize the RNW as a kamchatkan steppe horde and then move my capital there.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Star posted:

The big patches (DLC release usually) will break your save games.

However, you can always continue an old save using whatever patch you were playing on. In Steam you select the Beta option and roll back to whatever patch, then play and you can earn achievements like normal.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Does anyone know if the CK2 DLC that transfers saves still works? I heard it was half-broken with Common Sense, which would be a shame.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

WilliamAnderson posted:

How would you balance it though? The tech system isn't currently designed for it. I mean, do you just start the entire world at tech 1?

There's a fairly polished looking 1356 mod on the workshop that claims to change the first few tech levels so that things aren't insane, I'm gonna give it a shot.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's not like you can't mod technology. If you are going to be making a mod that adds almost 90 more years of gameplay you're definitely going to be revamping tech as well.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

WilliamAnderson posted:

You just change the tech system. Add a bunch of levels to the beginning and push all of the tech-dependent effects forward an equal number of levels. E.g. you get the Imperialism CB at tech 30 instead of 22, but the tech progression ends at 40.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone know if there's any special modifiers or such for the only Gothic cultured nation in the game (Theodoro)?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Does anyone know if there's any special modifiers or such for the only Gothic cultured nation in the game (Theodoro)?

Just their national ideas. There's nothing special like Prussia gets.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Aw. Mind you, I had to even look up what they were when I found them. Unique to say the least. So I figure there isn't enough there to really make it super fleshed out, that and they didn't really do much.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What should I know when choosing between vassalizing and annexing countries? I'm playing as the Aztecs and have mostly been vassalizing countries because my religious reforms require vassals in order to pass, but what should I consider when making this choice, not just with the Aztecs but generally?

Also how do I vassalize a country I previously annexed? I did this earlier but I can't remember how.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 27, 2015

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

snoremac posted:

What should I know when choosing between vassalizing and annexing countries? I'm playing as the Aztecs and have mostly been vassalizing countries because my religious reforms require vassals in order to pass, but what should I consider when making this choice, not just with the Aztecs but generally?

Annex pros:

Faster (this is a big plus!)
Can potentially save a lot of money, because you can theoretically get lower overall provincial autonomy over the same number of years
Saves DIP

Cons:

Costs ADM
Have to manage revolt risk
More AE (negligible compared to vassalization, usually)

Vassalize pros:

Can save a TON of ADM on coring
Vassals can be fed, saving you even more ADM over a large area
You get a vassal. Vassals can be fun. You don't always have to annex them, you can turn them into a march, whatever.
Less AE (again, usually negligible for the same area of land)

Cons:

Annexing a large vassal costs a shitton of DIP
Annexing a large vassal sets a high minimum provincial autonomy, which can cost you ducats over the long term
You have to manage liberty desire. Can be a pain when juggling lots of vassals.

Generally a good rule of thumb is "directly vassalize medium countries, annex little countries, either balkanize or munch on very large countries" but of course it depends on your situation. Sometimes you wanna hold on to your dip. Sometimes you wanna hold on to your adm. Sometimes you take Administrative Ideas instead of Diplomatic Ideas, vice versa. Sometimes you wanna chew on a big country for a while because you don't wanna go over the AE cap. Sometimes a really small country that would otherwise be annexed presents a good vassal-feeding opportunity, because of religion or culture or something. Just kinda gotta feel it out.

snoremac posted:

Also how do I vassalize a country I previously annexed? I did this earlier but I can't remember how.

In your main country menu, hit the big flag shield button in the lower right. Warning: created vassals get all cores applicable, including some they may not have ever actually owned at the start of the game.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
It is best to vassalise when you are either:
1) taking land which would put you over the overextension limit of 100.
2) taking land that is wrong religion, wrong culture at an early date when you are not yet strong enough to brush of rebellion
3) Short on admin, but flush on dip.
4) if the nation you are force vassalising or releasing has fantastic ideas. Examples include Brandenburg, Nepal, reformed Manchu or a theocracy with Divine Ideas (conversion speed is top notch if you are in a religiously divided region such as Reformation Era HRE). Ideas like bonus discipline, morale, manpower recovery speed, or missionary strength are fantastic and can really give you a boost if you have a vassal who has them and must do as you say.

To release nations, go to the diplomacy window, click on 'View Your Country' near the bottom, and then click on 'Create Subject'. Beware that any subject you release will take all of the land they have cores on.

e; shoulda refreshed

Another Person fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 27, 2015

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
List of 1.14 achievements is up.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

drat, those all look really good. I can't help but feel that One Faith will overtake Ryukyu WC as the hardest achievement though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Aw man. I JUST did that Burgundian Conquest achievement on ironman.

• Locked thread