Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dick Trauma posted:

I know how his escape really ends...

From pages back, but this did not get nearly as much love as it should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm at work today. Getting a measly 1.3x pay for being here. Just means more PTO to cash out in a few years.

Sup at work on Thanksgiving buddy - working today & tomorrow (Network Ops) but the bright side is triple time!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Inovius posted:

Sup at work on Thanksgiving buddy - working today & tomorrow (Network Ops) but the bright side is triple time!

Salaried management here, not working but when one of our Tier 1 clients has a 15 minute outage on one of our busiest days of the year and no one responds on the escalation chain I have to get involved. Texting people, responding to emails and staying on top of the response.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Unless it's a hospital. Then it's never closed. Just slow. Very very slow.

Not doing much other than trying not to fall asleep. Guess I'll work on more subnetting! Whee!

Too right.

And I think they love to put in tickets because hey, they're working, why aren't you?

I might have to go in this weekend to fix the lab PDAs, that I touched yesterday without any sort of issue related to label printing. Now the label format isn't good enough. I'm not on call or even secondary this weekend, I just set them up and nobody bothered to accept my training offers all week. I specifically went to the primary for this week and asked if he wanted training, and he said maybe later. And here we are.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

skooma512 posted:

I specifically went to the primary for this week and asked if he wanted training, and he said maybe later. And here we are.

Well it's later now, isn't it?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Our IT staff officially works 8x5 Pacific time. No one is on call, there's no rotation, there's no policies or procedures for after hours tickets or server/network response.

We have one small international office (16 people).

We have one small East Coast US office (8 people).

We have 64 remote personnel, almost one in every populated time zone around the globe.

I see no problem with this. :dance:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

Do I look like I know what a "stuffing" is?

"You'll take Funyuns on your green bean casserole and loving LIKE it"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Not working today but wanted to mention the email signature headaches continue at my job. Most the people in one office have called up saying they need to have a disclaimer in their sig that states they are not licensed in State A but are in nearby State B but are working for someone who is in State A.

You mean uniform signatures doesn't work for a place that is in a dozen different states with wildly different litigation fields? Thanks again marketing.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'm in Canada but we have clients mainly in the UK and US. The UK finished a few hours ago, and no one's working in the US today.

Kinda nice to take a break

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DigitalMocking posted:

I see no problem with this. :dance:

The trick, if you ever must be reachable after-hours, is to have an after-hours emergency line but make it crazy-expensive for the client to call, and only give the number to whoever signs the cheques. If it's priced right they will definitely only call if there's a drat good reason.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

univbee posted:

The trick, if you ever must be reachable after-hours, is to have an after-hours emergency line but make it crazy-expensive for the client to call, and only give the number to whoever signs the cheques. If it's priced right they will definitely only call if there's a drat good reason.

See, an after hours emergency line would need a policy describing it, what it was, who had to make use of it.

We're only did 100mil in sales last year, why would we have anything like that?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Migishu posted:

I'm in Canada but we have clients mainly in the UK and US. The UK finished a few hours ago, and no one's working in the US today.

Kinda nice to take a break

Hah, same here. Albeit Canadian clients as well, but, yeah. We're at like 5% or less of our normal users online. I played Fallout 4 until it mega-glitched a few times in a row.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Siochain posted:

Hah, same here. Albeit Canadian clients as well, but, yeah. We're at like 5% or less of our normal users online. I played Fallout 4 until it mega-glitched a few times in a row.

I deal exclusively with executive clients directly. For other clients, we handle things the HD's not able to take care of. We've got them pretty well trained so we only get a handful of tickets a day.

I think everyone stopped working at around 11am though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inovius posted:

Sysadmin checking in for thanksgiving work. Double time, but can't slack, somehow, since they JUST implemented tracking all our time, and expect us to try for 100% utilization.

I think I am going to log at least 3 hours spent logging time today.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Nice

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

RFC2324 posted:

Sysadmin checking in for thanksgiving work. Double time, but can't slack, somehow, since they JUST implemented tracking all our time, and expect us to try for 100% utilization.

I'm curious, how did they implement tracking all your time? Do they force you to track it yourself, or do they use tools to track log in time and stuff?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The file server went down.

McAfee had choked the entire system to death by repeatedly trying to scan its own files quicker than it could respond to the suspicious process trying to gain access to core McAfee files.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm curious, how did they implement tracking all your time? Do they force you to track it yourself, or do they use tools to track log in time and stuff?

Its a combination... We use freshdesk and jira, and if we are actively working a ticket we use the built in tracking there, otherwise we open a jira ticket for each shift, and log anything that isn't directly covered by a ticket in there.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

McAfee had choked the entire system to death by repeatedly trying to scan its own files quicker than it could respond to the suspicious process trying to gain access to core McAfee files.

Beautiful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sheep posted:

Beautiful.

Well at least it prevented something from escalating via McAffee, by DoSing itself.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

Routinely see this in our AV logs on a smaller scale. "Yeah hey we denied access to our McAfee core files buddy, the offending process was the McAfee updater." :thumbsup:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Ghostlight posted:

This is why I don't put goddamn antivirus on servers.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

devmd01 posted:

This has been an ongoing battle with our InfoSec guys for years. We're winning very, very slowly. We used to have to install Symantec Endpoint Protection on the servers alongside the NTP firewall component, which if anyone is familiar with the product knows is dogshit (it works well from a security perspective, but managing it is a nightmare and it inserts a shim into the TCP/IP stack itself, which has broken a lot of things in the past).

Eventually we peeled that back and it was SEP AV Only on the servers, but even removing NTP proved to be a problem since it required reboots and often broke the TCP/IP stack on the machine entirely. I think it was version 11 of SEP that had a bug where if you uninstalled it it wouldn't adjust the registry components associated with Windows IPv4 to point to the native .dlls, so the NIC would just be broken until you applied a hotfix.

I loving hate Symantec. I could literally talk for hours about how lovely their products are and how painful they are to manage.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

This has been an ongoing battle with our InfoSec guys for years. We're winning very, very slowly. We used to have to install Symantec Endpoint Protection on the servers alongside the NTP firewall component, which if anyone is familiar with the product knows is dogshit (it works well from a security perspective, but managing it is a nightmare and it inserts a shim into the TCP/IP stack itself, which has broken a lot of things in the past).

Eventually we peeled that back and it was SEP AV Only on the servers, but even removing NTP proved to be a problem since it required reboots and often broke the TCP/IP stack on the machine entirely. I think it was version 11 of SEP that had a bug where if you uninstalled it it wouldn't adjust the registry components associated with Windows IPv4 to point to the native .dlls, so the NIC would just be broken until you applied a hotfix.

I loving hate Symantec. I could literally talk for hours about how lovely their products are and how painful they are to manage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

devmd01 posted:

The best part is that literally the only reason it is there is because the Company Board demanded a list of actions demonstrating that we are being proactive in defending the company against viral attacks after the same file server was almost brought down by a cryptovirus that failed only because the Citrix sessoin it was being delivered by crashed. A Citrix session opened by, and cryptovirus delivered from, the Chairman of the loving Company Board.

So I fully expect a new demand for a list of actions showing we are proactively defending the company against itself.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ghostlight posted:

So I fully expect a new demand for a list of actions showing we are proactively defending the company against itself.

Unironically, that's probably your #1 threat.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Unironically, that's probably your #1 threat.

Step 1) Air gapped all servers
Fin.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Got the afternoon off to write the network+ exam today,

and I thought the MS exams were bad...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

RFC2324 posted:

Its a combination... We use freshdesk and jira, and if we are actively working a ticket we use the built in tracking there, otherwise we open a jira ticket for each shift, and log anything that isn't directly covered by a ticket in there.

This is ridiculous. Are they having a kneejerk from somebody spending too much time on reddit?

I wish people would understand that if you treat people like adults and trust them to the do the right thing, they'll generally act like adults and do the right thing. If somebody is being slick, you don't have to continue to employ them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

skooma512 posted:

This is ridiculous. Are they having a kneejerk from somebody spending too much time on reddit?

I wish people would understand that if you treat people like adults and trust them to the do the right thing, they'll generally act like adults and do the right thing. If somebody is being slick, you don't have to continue to employ them.

We don't know. This has apparently happened before, but always before they told everyone what is was about(tracking ticket lulls, finding which customer was using resources) but this time its way harsher, and they aren't telling anyone. Its also just the one dept, as opposed to everyone like the previous times

In our last meeting tho, we were told they would look at low(sub 100%) utilization as possible reason for getting rid of people, so looks like its time to :yotj:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Does McAfee still suck balls after being acquired by Intel? Is Norton any better? I know every ISP I lookup provides McAfee, but Comcast prides itself in having industry leading Norton software. :downs: I still use MSE and Common Sense.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

We don't know. This has apparently happened before, but always before they told everyone what is was about(tracking ticket lulls, finding which customer was using resources) but this time its way harsher, and they aren't telling anyone. Its also just the one dept, as opposed to everyone like the previous times

In our last meeting tho, we were told they would look at low(sub 100%) utilization as possible reason for getting rid of people, so looks like its time to :yotj:

We track all our time. Tickets are tracked in the ticketing system, and project time, research, etc... is self reported. But this is something we do so our director has actual concrete numbers when it comes time for the budget and we want to hire additional people. If he doesn't come with hard numbers of how saturated our time is, he gets told "No. You're obviously making your deliverables so you don't need more headcount"

But none of it is tied to our goals and objectives (not even Tier 1) and there's no punitive actions taken. If someone has an issue, they'll get a one-on-one meeting with a lead or manager. If we still see a trend of problems with efficient use of time, we implement a mentoring program or try to figure out how they may better fit with our group perhaps taking on other duties. If we still have problems, we'll try to see if maybe there's another place in the company they might fit better. But unless it's something like blatant insubordination or sass-mouth to a customer we don't like to fire people.

Oh, and if they lie about their education (which is weird to me, since we don't care and don't make it requirement) and HR finds out. In that case there's a small thunder-clap created by how fast they get removed.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

Does McAfee still suck balls after being acquired by Intel? Is Norton any better? I know every ISP I lookup provides McAfee, but Comcast prides itself in having industry leading Norton software. :downs: I still use MSE and Common Sense.

I can't speak for enterprise-level stuff since I have no experience there, but endpoint antivirus (i.e. what you're thinking of) is practically all the same. Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials is really all you need, anything else (especially a paid antivirus) is a waste. For more info check out this thread.

Most malware protection is, believe it or not, built around the web, and the best way to prevent malware in my experience is to grab an ad blocker like uBlock Origin and a tracker blocker like Disconnect. Any browser worth using will have versions of these extensions available for them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Work was closed for turkey day, but iirc I get paid anyways, woo!

Not whoo: today is black friday, and I just know people are going to call us and go "BUT BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DEEELS"

Cram it, you little penny pinchers.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Segmentation Fault posted:

I can't speak for enterprise-level stuff since I have no experience there, but endpoint antivirus (i.e. what you're thinking of) is practically all the same. Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials is really all you need, anything else (especially a paid antivirus) is a waste. For more info check out this thread.

Yep. All antivirus is about as effective. All the researchers talk to each other freely (and hate the marketers). The difference is ease of use and administration, not effectiveness. Find one that's not a goddamn PITA and use that.

(and for file servers, Linux, Samba and ClamAV on the actual fileshares.)

Segmentation Fault posted:

Most malware protection is, believe it or not, built around the web, and the best way to prevent malware in my experience is to grab an ad blocker like uBlock Origin and a tracker blocker like Disconnect. Any browser worth using will have versions of these extensions available for them.

If you can deploy a Flash blocker and an ad blocker to all users, your life will be so much easier.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No tickets coming in...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This can only end well!

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

nielsm posted:

No tickets coming in...

That interface annoys me on a basic level. Click yes for DISCONNECT and No to retry? WHY NOT LABEL THE BUTTONS LIKE SUCH? Or, have YES be retry and NO for disconnect?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

Unless it's a hospital.

Or a company supporting hospitals. Most of my IT friends are working at state universities and so those bastards are just yukking it up at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
37 tickets came in.

Email administrator allowed external emails to our internal helpdesk@company.com address by accident.

We have lots of tickets about black friday, penis size and mortgages

• Locked thread