Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I hope you don't play Call of Duty or literally any free to play game because they might give you an aneurysm.

Since you mentioned it: I typically avoid shooters that feature progression based unlocks. Why did I buy Battlefront then? Friends convinced me, but I question that decision more and more each day. I would prefer if leveling up didn't unlock killing potential (which is what barrage, black cards, etc. obviously are, I'm not sure how it's arguable at all) but that's not the game we're playing here obviously. Some people love progression systems and get bored if they don't exist, people like me think they're bullshit artificial treadmilling for games that can't be bothered to create real depth.

For the record I play enough that I'll soon have every good card available and when that happens I'll probably enjoy Battlefront a lot more. Call it what you will but I hate being killed by things I can't even use. It goes something like 'what the hell did I just die to?' then 'oh something I have to grind 5 more hours for, awesome'.

Edit: This is really more of an annoyance with RPG leveling in FPS games than Battlefront although I do think Battlefront has unlocks that are quite a bit worse power wise than say TF2 (no real difference) or BF4 (small increase in power, mostly just in variety).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Summit, you regularly play and post in the Project 1999 Everquest thread. Yet you are complaining about the comically minor progression system in this game? I have everything unlocked and have only played this game for a week. Chill out man. The walls of text you are writing are completely out of place here.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i don't get how I can play witcher 3, fallout 4 and pretty much every major release at max resolution and ultra graphics settings yet with battlefront I need to knock everything down to low and can't do normal res

is there something obvious I'm missing? Is it really just that much more intensive?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Milky Moor posted:

i don't get how I can play witcher 3, fallout 4 and pretty much every major release at max resolution and ultra graphics settings yet with battlefront I need to knock everything down to low and can't do normal res

is there something obvious I'm missing? Is it really just that much more intensive?

This runs better than most games on most people's computers, 'specially compared to max settings FO4 and W3, but there have been some other people saying they get weird performance anomalies that make the game run like poo poo when it by all means shouldn't.

If you're playing in borderless or windowed, go for fullscreen, it's a bit annoying (and poorly implemented if you want to make the game use a non-primary monitor) but I get some real weird screen tearing, stuttering and general poo poo performance on borderless while fullscreen runs on my middling rig at a near constant, perfect 60 FPS. Also keep TAA disabled if you have an AMD card.

Otherwise I got no idea. I imagine you've already checked for new GPU drivers but it's always good to double check for that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Metos posted:

Its only 1700 credits for 25, you start with 25 and so only need to spend 5100, which isn't even how much upgrading a single card costs? Maybe play less of the small round games and more WA and hit those challenges.

I'm sitting on 17k in the bank at the moment two ranks away from unlocking an alien, but that's also probably because I haven't spent 5100 on cheating.

For some reason I thought it was 1700 for like 7 charges or something :confused: Yea its really easy to get 99 charges wow very good

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Summit posted:

Edit: This is really more of an annoyance with RPG leveling in FPS games than Battlefront although I do think Battlefront has unlocks that are quite a bit worse power wise than say TF2 (no real difference) or BF4 (small increase in power, mostly just in variety).

I hate progression too, I also think it's not so bad here because the good stuff is front loaded. Barrage? Gimme a thermal detonator or impact, they are far more consistent.

Also I'm surprised you think bf4 grind is better. At least in front when I unlock a weapon i actually get it and don't have to spend another 3 hours getting a selection of grips and scopes and barrels to make it good.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Is the OP updated?

Blaster rifles don't seem to bother snow speeders and the op both says crouch does and doesn't affect aiming.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
I had a moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag5dtJni2g :getin:

I killed even more after but it only saves 30 second clips lol

Vildiil fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 27, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ZypherIM posted:

Also is the comment about calling it "skill based" from somewhere else? I don't think I've seen anyone here say anything close to that.

Literally every news article from around when they said no server browser reported it as "skill based matchmaking". E.g.
http://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-battlefront-matchmaking-server-browsers/

(I was complaining about :dice: calling it that, not anyone on here)

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 27, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

That is fair enough then, haha! I didn't pay attention to any of the press release stuff so didn't realize they claimed that.

To nasgate: shooting snow speeders mucks with the tow-cable mini-game, and crouch/zoom does *not* change your aim/spread/etc. The only real effect zoom has is changing your crosshair, so sometimes far things are easier to hit.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Vildiil posted:

I had a moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag5dtJni2g :getin:

I killed even more after but it only saves 30 second clips lol

That looks fun! But, loving hell that team was retarded.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
My housemate has been playing this but is only about level 8 and it appears she sees significantly less people with high end gear than me. They still turn up, but not in the same numbers. I think there is some actual matchmaking happening, but it's pretty opaque about it, and it's entirely possible it's based on rank rather than skill.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Rob Haldorson posted:

That looks fun! But, loving hell that team was retarded.

Indeed hahahah, if there is skill based match making I'd expect by now I'd be playing people who can tie their shoe laces.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well it is possible that they try to match roughly even levels in. I see a decent number of people with upgraded cards, so they've got some sort of levels acquired. I also see a couple people with high level models opened as well, which goes with that. So maybe sort of a "team A has someone rank 45, we'll give team B someone rank 45 +-5" sort of deal.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Win three hero hunts is pretty drat evil. Can you refresh those goals? I don't even keep track of how many points they give but I've been trying them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FiBRQCmSlk

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Royal Scrub posted:

Win three hero hunts is pretty drat evil. Can you refresh those goals? I don't even keep track of how many points they give but I've been trying them.
You can buy new ones for 500 credits. Check the stats menu.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

You can buy new ones for 500 credits. Check the stats menu.

Ah thanks.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Had some good Star Warsing today. Won a match of Hero Hunt, and found myself quite getting into that mode. Something about the way I was playing against the other people on my team as well as against the hero... I dunno, I found myself playing 3 more rounds trying to repeat my win. I'll actually be adding this mode into my rotation, flawed as it is I've found some fun there.

Did some Drop Zone, captured some droids, did a full rotation of all the Supremacy maps, picked up four trophies and hit level 25 at the 17 hours of gametime mark (not including time spent in survival/battles). Very happy with this game, can easily see me playing a few dozen more hours as and when. Only even played 9 matches of Walker Assault in all that time and that was the one mode I bought the game for. Game's good yo.

The whiniest of pissbabies. Even whinier than the other one you posted. Do you watch any YouTube videos that aren't dull angry nerds being insufferably cunty?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I wish the stupid top player things would randomly select from other things like vehicle kills or headshots.

Mostly because I took out 3 snowspeeders in a row while on foot just now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, that survival mission on Sullust can go gently caress itself. I thought that Tatooine had already been fairly tough if doable, but Sullust just throws two AT-STs and three TIEs at you in like wave five. You're probably expected to fight them off with the turbolasers, but those will blow up pretty much the instant an AT-ST looks at them and do only fairly middling damage to boot.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Short video showing off some easter eggs in the game. http://youtu.be/n3MViyqF_PU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I think I enjoy this game more than Fallout 4. Am I a bad person?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Attention Horse posted:

I think I enjoy this game more than Fallout 4. Am I a bad person?

I've heard from some very hardcore Gamers™ that liking either Fallout 4 or the new Battlefront is supposed to make you an objectively lesser person than the enlightened goons that are above your modern mainstream drivel. I've also heard from the same Gamers™ that you'll be a much more likeable and decent person if you yell at people for liking things that you don't, doubly so if you smugly condescend to seem more dignified about being a whiny joyless shitheel.

You also cannot love, like, enjoy or even just be okay with something that has flaws, it's all or nothing, perfect or garbage for babies, this is an entirely healthy worldview.

So to answer your question, you're a bad person, but not as bad as someone who dares to enjoy both games equally. Take some respite in that while you repent for enjoying the wrong things.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I feel like having fun shooting nazis with lasers, and like, that features in Fallout but also a lot of picking through empty sheds and that's not what I'm feeling right now.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Had 5 games in a row with people blatantly aimbotting and headshotting folks across the canyon on Sullust and getting 100+ kills and 0 deaths.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I can see where the "built for controller" comes in. I tried just shooting without using the scope/run n gun in CQB ending up in a lot more kills than concentrated, constant accurate fire.

Anyone know of a good way to practice flying? I know on BF4 you'd just get an empty server and go about that route.

As for this vs Fallout 4, I'm going to wait till the Winter sale because most likely that'll be the lowest it'll be in awhile. Plus, I scored Ultimate for only $70, so that's worth it for a years worth entertainment.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The single player training missions are a good place to used to the flying controls. They even have challenges that give some extra credits to those that already know what they're doing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Witnessed my first Imperial win on WA Endor... sadly I was Rebels and we got totally owned. Only damaged the ATAT about a quarter health, most of it right as the map ended.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Turns out Criterion worked on the speeder bikes for this game: https://twitter.com/CriterionGames/status/670247581621100550

Now I kinda wanted a Speeder Bike Race DLC mode.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Did some more Droid Run as I had a challenge to claim 15 of the buggers. Had an astonishingly successful round. My last three games I had a positive k/d, was top of the table on my side, and won all three games. The final game was particularly thrilling, at the Jawa Refuge. I thought I might drop out as I only needed to claim one more for the challenge, but I stuck it out because I feel bad bailing mid-game. Well the clock ran down and all three droids were red, and somehow we managed to fight super hard for the next minute or so and claim and hold two droids to be declared the winner. Awesome stuff.

The weirdest thing was that the three awards (most kills, droids claimed, objective score) all went to the top guy on their team, but I was still on the winning side, with a positive k/d, and MVP for our team.

Parky's tip: run personal shield on Drop Zone and Droid Run. Pop it as you're running in to claim the point and always play the objective.

Edit:

Wanna counter some popular thoughts. I always run 1st person, almost 18 hours in. Tried 3rd person, just can't do it. I'm mostly terrible at shooters, but I'm holding my own despite the actually true advice that 3rd person view is better. It is, but clearly a numpty like me doing alright in 1st person means it's really not a dealbreaker. Play how you want, it's fine.

Also, I ADS a lot. Not at close range, that'll slow you down, but for medium to long range it helps me target better on PS4 and it gets me more kills. Again, it's better not to but I'm doing alright with using it so "never ADS" isn't good advice. Use it at the appropriate ranges with the appropriate weapons and it's fine, good even.

The DL-44 isn't the god gun a lot of people say it is. Used to be a fan due to trying it out early in survival. Just hit 25 and unlocked it, but it was losing in short range firefights in Droid Run and I had to swap it out for my trusty EE-3 which is officially the best gun over all ranges. Take that to the bank.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 27, 2015

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I like this poo poo bag game. Real talk: best flight game of the year 2015.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
LevelCap suggested this and I think it'd be cool: a game option where everyone plays first person. First person is max immersion and you don't have to deal with your gun shooting into corners. Third person is the min max choice you just have to make unless you really can't stand it. The situational awareness it provides is insane.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
^^^ I'd be down for this but call it Hardcore Blast and turn the HUD off entirely, apart from telling people what powerups they just walked over. I did it once (posted a video in the last thread https://youtu.be/unvBC_rML0Q) and found myself listening carefully to the sound of battle and despite thinking I'd be just sightseeing got a 14/10 score and was best on team. It was actually a super fun way to play, and I'd love to play it against people who were also mad like me.

Fighter Squadron tip: as rebels you should be picking up the Millenium Falcon a good amount of the time as you know to look for the token and many people still don't. When the rebel cargo ship is flying out, park yourself directly astern of it, bury yourself in its rear end like you're a dianoga in a trash compactor. Most TIEs will be rushing in to attack from behind, and you can soak up their lasers and missiles with your shield and million HP. Once in position you can drop speed and a couple may fly past you for an easy kill. But tank that poo poo, you can take it and the cruiser can't.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 27, 2015

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

Wanna counter some popular thoughts. I always run 1st person, almost 18 hours in. Tried 3rd person, just can't do it. I'm mostly terrible at shooters, but I'm holding my own despite the actually true advice that 3rd person view is better. It is, but clearly a numpty like me doing alright in 1st person means it's really not a dealbreaker. Play how you want, it's fine.

Also, I ADS a lot. Not at close range, that'll slow you down, but for medium to long range it helps me target better on PS4 and it gets me more kills. Again, it's better not to but I'm doing alright with using it so "never ADS" isn't good advice. Use it at the appropriate ranges with the appropriate weapons and it's fine, good even.

The DL-44 isn't the god gun a lot of people say it is. Used to be a fan due to trying it out early in survival. Just hit 25 and unlocked it, but it was losing in short range firefights in Droid Run and I had to swap it out for my trusty EE-3 which is officially the best gun over all ranges. Take that to the bank.

You're triggering me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blacktoll posted:

I like this poo poo bag game. Real talk: best flight game of the year 2015. since Rogue Leader

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

I've found that if I have a browser open (IE/Firefox) on the desktop, even if minimised, the game runs like total poo poo for me with FPS drops and my RAM jumping up to 100%. It happened during the beta too. If I close them the game runs sweet with no complaints at all, just in case that helps.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Guess they fixed the infinite Star Card glitch.. back to being terrible :negative:

e: welp, nevermind, still works

Atlas Moth fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 27, 2015

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Atlas Moth posted:

Guess they fixed the infinite Star Card glitch.. back to being terrible :negative:

e: welp, nevermind, still works

How on earth do you buy 99 cards exactly? All I see is the option for 25 a shot. I stopped at 75 because I didn't want to screw it up - do I just purchase another 25?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

Kelly posted:

How on earth do you buy 99 cards exactly? All I see is the option for 25 a shot. I stopped at 75 because I didn't want to screw it up - do I just purchase another 25?

It glitches out when you buy past 99, so buy another 25 and it*should work but mileage may vary etc etc. Make sure you do it through the main menu and not the pre-game lobby as well.

• Locked thread