Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do draconians get any sory of innate GDR from their scales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Beyond the Ziggurat adjustments, extra changes for the holiday!

• Xom's Chessboard. I think this is a box-of-beasts-alike, spitting up chess pieces. Fail your evo check, get a bad Xom action (unless you're a Xomite). Also Xom eventually takes his toybox back. Double-check to be sure I'm reading this right.
  • The armor of Talos. Unrand +12 plate with rF+ and Ponderous. Sized for ogres and trolls.
  • Frostbite, the Noisy +8 Executioner's Axe of Freezing that drops freezing cloud on things you hit sometimes.
  • Autopickup improvement for making it easier to pick up steel bolts and not poisoned bolts or the like.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Just in time for some post-turkey coma crawl action

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

World Famous Whore posted:

Glad to see an updated Pakellas. Hope they can make it to trunk this time. I am liking the changes from the .16 version though once again all I am really doing is abusing the ever loving poo poo out of Quick Charge. Only got the Barnacled and the Gossamer rune so far and:
code:
Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Invok: Quick Charge      |       |       |       |     5 |     3 |     6 |     6 ||    20
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |     5 |    33 |    27 |    69 |    40 ||   174
       Rod               |       |       |       |     3 |   109 |   207 |   167 ||   486
EDIT: Also really like the new Merfolk (and the one Naga Mage guarding Depths entrance) tiles I seen.

What changed about Pakellas?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I thought the autopickup was already in place for 0.17. I could pick up poison needles once for example and while I had them in my inventory it would slurp up more poison needles but not pick up needles of frenzy (seriously, does anyone use these?).

Xom's chessboard isn't a box of beasts-a-like, it's more of a way to evoke the 'switch places with enemy' thing that Xom does occasionally. Said switching has a chance of confusing you, IIRC, but will always confuse the enemies involved. There's a flat 1% chance that Xom will steal the board back.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Zaodai posted:

Wouldn't it just get removed immediately anyway? I remember seeing someone say they removed the Halloween stuff because it made crawl different sometimes.

Sage Grimm posted:

Functionally different during that time. This is more of a visual effect that doesn't affect gameplay.

Yeah, pumpkin-head ghosts and special start messages are still around.

Internet Kraken posted:

Do draconians get any sory of innate GDR from their scales?

Nope.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Major bug:
code:
 You reflect Mara with the mirror, and the mirror shatters!
 You set the figurine down, and a mystic portal to a ziggurat forms.
Using a Phantom Mirror apparntly counts as a ZigFig. It also used my full stack of them (two at the time). Playing on Pakellas experimental on CBro

Prism posted:

What changed about Pakellas?
Magic is no longer forbidden. You don't have three rank of Device Surge skills, just one that scales with piety/evocation. Two new abilities: Drain Magic (singular and turns into mass) and Sap Magic.
Drain Magic works like the VS bite but will cause contamination if you are full on MP already.
Sap Magic hits them with a debuff that does an Anti-Magic hit and drain MP every time they cast. Also causes contamination at full MP.

I've yet to really use the Drain Magic or Sap Magic so I can't judge them to well yet. It also seems like Rod reward has been upped as Pakellas has done given me about 4 or them and I am only cleared Lair branches, Orcish Mines, and Elf. Really digging 'em again, hope they make it to Trunk.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if this is a change but I think it is but they forbid the use of Mana Channeling evocs now to. They still allow Potions of Mana (and maybe Ambrosia) which should probably be forbidden for balance reasons.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 26, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

World Famous Whore posted:

Major bug:
code:
 You reflect Mara with the mirror, and the mirror shatters!
 You set the figurine down, and a mystic portal to a ziggurat forms.
Using a Phantom Mirror apparntly counts as a ZigFig. It also used my full stack of them (two at the time). Playing on Pakellas experimental on CBro

Fixed, thanks!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I'm super not good at Crawl, but I like playing SpAs. That said, I've never had this opportunity:

Who would y'all recommend I worship for max assassining? I've only done Dithmenos for shadows, Yredelemnul for animating corpses and Fedhas for organic hippie fun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Well, my vote goes for Dith because of chicanery like this:

code:
The helpless minotaur fails to defend itself.
You perforate the minotaur like a sieve!!!!
You kill the minotaur!
Dithmenos accepts your kill.
...but then again, my KoAs found a ring and boots of stealth before D:5, and is at max stealth on Lair:1. :haw:

e:
code:
_You finish putting on your +2 crystal plate armour.
Crawl why :negative:

e2: Wait. Am I reading this right? Does stealth not actually have a cap? That would explain why I'm now stabbing entire floors.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 26, 2015

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

spider wisdom posted:

I'm super not good at Crawl, but I like playing SpAs. That said, I've never had this opportunity:

Who would y'all recommend I worship for max assassining? I've only done Dithmenos for shadows, Yredelemnul for animating corpses and Fedhas for organic hippie fun.
Go Okawaru, get needles, murder everything except the undead and unliving with needle stabs (it's just an HD check! :haw:). Get 16ish throwing for the main game (which also lets you branch into throwing tomahawks), 20 if you want to do post game with needles. Use Heroism before needling particularly tough threats. I was able to paralyze stab the Lernaean Hydra with a SpEn of Oka. :getin:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

No hard cap on stealth, yeah. Dwindling benefit for cranking it up to SILENT AS A GRAVE levels when experience could be spent elsewhere but it's hella fun shanking nearly everything you see.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Wow, Gozag is pretty goddamn broken.

Waltzing into Vault 5 and picking up a rune felt pretty bullshit, but apparently I can bribe Orb Guardians???

Edit: And OOFs, wow.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if the faded altar does spawn in your game, does it always spawn in the temple or can it spawn anywhere from D:2 too D:11 like other altars?

Well that explains why I sometimes felt fragile as them even when my AC was high. Dunno why this never occured to me until recently though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I've found it outside the Temple the times I've encountered it so definitely yes.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Internet Kraken posted:

So if the faded altar does spawn in your game, does it always spawn in the temple or can it spawn anywhere from D:2 too D:11 like other altars?

This is my first hint it could spawn in Temple. :shobon:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no idea where it can spawn since I've seen it myself :shrug: I really want to do a MAXIMUM RANDOM game as a HuWn of the faded alatar but not being able to find it reliably is making me hesitant. Cause going to D:11 without a god sucks, and going all the way there only to realize the faded altar didn't even spawn is worse.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FulsomFrank posted:

It's really bad and will get you killed or at the very least lead to way more panic situations than normal.

Only solution is to eat more purple and mutate the mutations away!

Yeah at first it was kind of neat, kind of like "excitement mode" or something, since it was a high AC/Damage GaFi I wasn't too put out by it since I could just beat my way out of trouble. Didn't work out so good in Elf 3 though for obvious reasons.... double chained hellfire and a teleport that just didn't fire off fast enough.

One question I had for you all: on that character I had double stacked cold resistance, didn't that used to be a demonspawn only mutation? In the back of my head I'm thinking that you could only get one level of a resist before

RE: Faded altars, I've only ever seen them outside the temple

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Is entropy weave bugged or something? I'm playing P branch and it says it has a 0% chance to land but it's still corroding my equipment anyway. :psyduck:

apple
May 18, 2003

I went back to my game on trunk and this happened:

I think my Centaur made a contract with the devil, rip

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Hope nobody was trying to win before this came out :v:

Edit: Also banishment now sends you deeper based on the HD of the banishing creature. (I changed the links to diffs just for you, Brannock).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 27, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Floodkiller posted:

Edit: Also banishment now sends you deeper based on the HD of the banishing creature. (I changed the links to diffs just for you, Brannock).

code:
+    // Ancient Liches are sending you to A:5 and there's nothing
+    // you can do about that.
:gonk: I ain't ever fighting an Ancient Lich without full Magic Resistance again.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Someone Awful! posted:

Is entropy weave bugged or something? I'm playing P branch and it says it has a 0% chance to land but it's still corroding my equipment anyway. :psyduck:

Display bug, sorry. Should be fixed in the next build!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Awesome, I was just thinking Banishment didn't feel as bullshit as it used to. I'm glad we can now lose endgame characters to a single die roll, that feels a lot more fair.
:arghfist::saddowns:

I'll wait and see how it plays in practice, of course. It just REALLY seems like the sort of thing that sounds cool and scary on paper but, in practice, inflicts an hour of frustrating tedium and annoyance for every five minutes of memorably stressful play. We'll see I guess :shrug:

apple
May 18, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'll wait and see how it plays in practice, of course. It just REALLY seems like the sort of thing that sounds cool and scary on paper but, in practice, inflicts an hour of frustrating tedium and annoyance for every five minutes of memorably stressful play. We'll see I guess :shrug:

It'll probably mean grinding Abyss:3 for the rune so banishment to Abyss:5 will mostly just be annoying like before. To be fair, banishment and/or abyss need changing so actual changes to it are welcome, I just hope that in the case it doesn't work out additional work will be put into redesigning the spell.

My impression is that it changes banishment from being a gear check early-mid game to a gear check throughout the whole game, except the gear check can be both MR and/or the Abyssal rune. Not very interesting IMO, but banishment needed to be more dangerous somehow. I wish they'd address banishment being kind of tedious first though.

apple fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 27, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you've spent some high number of turns in the abyss, the next time the level regenerates it should force there to be an exit near you. Possibly measure it by exp gained while banished instead, or something. Basically I've had characters last thousands and thousands of turns, teleport a dozen times, and still never find an exit and I think that's just unfun and terrible.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm not even mad.

code:
798591 Haifisch the Sorcerer (level 27, -5/199 HPs)
             Began as a High Elf Air Elementalist on Oct 17, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Killed by mirror damage (38 damage)
             ... on level 25 of a ziggurat on Nov 26, 2015.
             The game lasted 09:24:17 (112712 turns).
I had 53 int, max power/hungerless Glaciate, and could have had Tornado running once I had access to it again. The game's revenge for my hubris was tormenting me to hell & killing me in the dumbest way possible. That'll teach me not to look out for Death Knights. :v:

apple posted:

It'll probably mean grinding Abyss:3 for the rune so banishment to Abyss:5 will mostly just be annoying like before. To be fair, banishment and/or abyss need changing so actual changes to it are welcome, I just hope that in the case it doesn't work out additional work will be put into redesigning the spell.
They're working on changing it on this experimental branch. Trims abyss to 4 levels, places the rune only on 4. Sounds good, except for needing to take stairs all the way out for some godforsaken reason. And keeping the spawnrate of the deepest level you've been to until you manage to leave entirely. And getting the rune fixes spawns at Abyss 4 levels. But mostly the stairs.

Because you know what people wanted? More time wasted in the Abyss after grabbing the rune! :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Angry Diplomat posted:

Awesome, I was just thinking Banishment didn't feel as bullshit as it used to. I'm glad we can now lose endgame characters to a single die roll, that feels a lot more fair.
:arghfist::saddowns:

I mean ancient liches have paralysis, so they were always capable of killing you with a single die roll if your MR wasn't good. At least banishment gives you a chance to survive. Paralysis is just a death sentence when you're near dangerous enemies.

Haifisch posted:

They're working on changing it on this experimental branch. Trims abyss to 4 levels, places the rune only on 4. Sounds good, except for needing to take stairs all the way out for some godforsaken reason. And keeping the spawnrate of the deepest level you've been to until you manage to leave entirely. And getting the rune fixes spawns at Abyss 4 levels. But mostly the stairs.

Wow, this is incredibly bad!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Always take the Mystery Box
code:
_The portal accepts the item and buzzes to life!
 The world spins around you as you enter the gateway.
_Welcome back to a treasure trove!
 Found a gate leading back out of this place.
 There is an empty arch of ancient stone here.
_You open the gate.
_Found six items.
 Found a papyrus manual and 2 scrolls of identify.
_There is an open gate here.
_W - Sif Muna's Catalogue of Displaced Talismans
_U - a scroll of blinking
_T - a scroll of teleportation
 You see here a papyrus manual.
_S - a manual of Throwing
_Found 2 scrolls of recharging.
_Found a graven book.
_Found a scroll of blinking and a yellowed book.
_R - a scroll of recharging
_U - 2 scrolls of blinking (gained 1)
_Q - Sif Muna's Reference Book on Twisted Enhancements
 You see here a dog-eared paperback manual.
_P - a manual of Long Blades
 You see here a papyrus manual.
_M - a manual of Short Blades
_K - Sif Muna's Almanac of Enhancements
_Found a scroll of teleportation.
_Found a scroll of vulnerability and a metal-bound manual.
_J - 2 scrolls of identify
 You see here a hardcover manual.
_D - a manual of Charms
 You see here a metal-bound manual.
_C - a manual of Fighting
_R - 2 scrolls of recharging (gained 1)
_T - 2 scrolls of teleportation (gained 1)
_There is an open gate here.
_There is a gate leading back out of this place here.
_Welcome back to the Dungeon! x2
_There is a collapsed entrance here.
Yea, I think a manual of Charms, Fighting, Long Blade, and Throwing were worth a spare +6 Demon Blade.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Haifisch posted:

Because you know what people wanted? More time wasted in the Abyss after grabbing the rune! :shepface:

holy poo poo that's awful

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"People think extended is tedious right now? Well I'll show them tedium!" :downsowned:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah see my whole objection to More Banishment and Deeper Banishment is that the Abyss is usually kind of boring and awful unless it kills you, so getting turbobanished by Ancient Liches will either be fatal (kinda sucks but no worse than paralysis, as has been mentioned) or just boring and awful (always sucks no matter what).

Now we have a proposed change that somehow makes Abyss more fatal, more boring, and more awful, all at the same time! I can't wait to be sent to the bottom of it and have to walk all the way back out to keep hitting a wizard skeleton with a sword! :haw:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Wow this sounds like a really cool change that absolutely no one will enjoy in the slightest, excellent way to make the lategame more fun

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

FR: Abyssal Upstairs have a 1D6 chance of just leading back to A:4

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I miss when abyss was more random and you could get banished and oh hey, there's the rune right there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ugh ate the purp off a skybeast (5 chunks!) at xl 6 Gargoyle. Frailx3, surprised I don't have negative hitpoints.

EDIT-FML orc priest smite does 2/3 of my hp and I just found 3 of them

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 27, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Counterproposal: make the Abyss an absolute terrifying high-octane shitstorm overflowing with screaming otherworldly nightmare doom, then make (non-Lugonu-invocation) banishment temporary with a duration affected by monster HD and player MR. Getting banished by Erolcha still loving sucks, but at least instead of an endless slog and then death, you get like 100 turns of OH GOD OH poo poo gently caress MY loving LIFE JESUS CHRIST FUUUUUCK followed by a very exciting death or a tremendously relieving "you are dragged back into reality!"

Now banishment is a short-term white-knuckle thrill ride instead of a huge spectrum of experiences made up almost entirely of groaning and inconvenience. Tweak as needed to make early banishment relatively survivable by good or very lucky players, but still loving terrifying when it happens unexpectedly.

e: so basically all banishment goes to Abyss 4 but only for a really short time unless the banisher is way strong, and for a moderate time at most; also get rid of the stairs thing so that voluntarily entering the abyss isn't even more wearisome and bad than usual.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 27, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Counterproposal: make the Abyss an absolute terrifying high-octane shitstorm overflowing with screaming otherworldly nightmare doom, then make (non-Lugonu-invocation) banishment temporary with a duration affected by monster HD and player MR. Getting banished by Erolcha still loving sucks, but at least instead of an endless slog and then death, you get like 100 turns of OH GOD OH poo poo gently caress MY loving LIFE JESUS CHRIST FUUUUUCK followed by a very exciting death or a tremendously relieving "you are dragged back into reality!"

Now banishment is a short-term white-knuckle thrill ride instead of a huge spectrum of experiences made up almost entirely of groaning and inconvenience. Tweak as needed to make early banishment relatively survivable by good or very lucky players, but still loving terrifying when it happens unexpectedly.

e: so basically all banishment goes to Abyss 4 but only for a really short time unless the banisher is way strong, and for a moderate time at most; also get rid of the stairs thing so that voluntarily entering the abyss isn't even more wearisome and bad than usual.

If abyss becomes actually fun/challenging where would you go when you get all your skills drained and your main attack now has a 30%+ failure rate or you have -4 strength and paralyze yourself every few dozen turns?

apple
May 18, 2003

So apparently a normal Lich can one-up their LCS damage by casting LRD on crystal walls, found this out the hard way after taking a 80 damage LRD and ending up at -2 HP on a potential streak :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

quote:

3786176 SomeoneAwful the Brilliant (level 27, 97/277 HPs)
Began as a Deep Dwarf Fighter on Nov 25, 2015.
Was a High Priest of Pakellas.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 5 runes on Nov 27, 2015!

Pakellas: He's pretty good!

Picked DD because of the high Evo aptitude and starting with /HW. Once I got Pakellas to a point where I had some rods and evokers and could reliably recharge with more than 3 charges, this character felt basically invincible -- I'm sure I could easily have done extended, but I didn't feel like slogging through it. DD damage shaving + nearly unlimited recharges of HW = lol gg. I pumped Evo to 27 once I got my first god gifted rod and was legitimately impressed with how well that worked out for me. Rod of Shadows is really strong, getting me packs of deep trolls/caustic shrikes/shock wasps on the regular. I chose to supercharge my lightning rod and I'm not sure it was the best choice, but it cleared out packs pretty well and is one of my favorite rods to use anyway so.

I'm not sure if Pakellas is too strong, if this combo is too strong, or if I just got incredibly lucky. I'll have to try him again later.

Biggest Pakellas issue is the same as with Nemelex: Hauling all these rods/wands/evokers/spider bag monster box chess piece things around takes up so much of your inventory you don't have room for much else. On the flip side, you don't really need that much else either, but it can get annoying to play Inventory Shuffle every time you find a new ring or whatever. Also I'm not sure I noticed empowered devices doing altogether that much different from a normal one but :shrug: I should definitely have used mana sap/the AOE mana drain thing more because they were very strong and would have saved me some grief, but with the amount of rods I was juggling I honestly forgot they were options a lot of the time. That's on me, though.

So yeah, Pakellas. Play some!

• Locked thread