Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

flyingkiwi posted:

An NPC I needed sunk into the floor and got stuck. That is all

If you can still see them at all, (or if there aren't any entities in the way), and you're on PC, you can
-open console (`)
-click on them (pops up a number, like 000bf340)
-enter "PRID ########"
-enter "moveto player"

If you can't see them, open a save when you can, get their number, and go back. NPC id numbers don't change (usually)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I mean they made the shooty and looty and all that more fun in ways, which is a good thing, I just wish they hadn't dicked over the talky at the same time.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

I dunno dude, writing and dialogue are pretty significant parts of WRPGs, it's not particularly petty to be mad at them being hit as hard as they have been.

lmfao if you care about the story or gameplay of a Bethesda game. We're all here for the Minecraft town building.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Can you get the perk from Deacon before the points of no return? My sneakthief needs it but I'm not sure I'm going to side with the RR this playthrough.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lima posted:

Can you get the perk from Deacon before the points of no return? My sneakthief needs it but I'm not sure I'm going to side with the RR this playthrough.

You should be able to, follower affinity isn't limited by their faction progress as far as I know.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

KakerMix posted:

Cool, however you can insult one of the Institute scientists during a conversation and he goes "Oh is that a prewar reference sorry I don't get it" motherfucker there are scrubs in the Commonwealth talking about a dude pretending to ride a motorcycle and what it sounded like 200 years after the last motorcycle ran and you shatter that consistency with a single line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-R-McfN1Q&t=90s

Ignimbrite posted:

I wonder if you could weaponize robot cows.

Maybe tabitha was right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

-Yes I'll help
-Ugh, fine I'll help
-I dunno, I guess I can help
-Of course I'll help

Like however you want to be about it, FO4 is practically the leading game I can think of right now for illusion of choice when it comes to any of the dialogue, the mod that actually shows what you're gonna say for each option makes it especially obvious.

They usually do illusion of choice (with a few big black and white choices, which FO4 does as well) though. I'd agree that the way dialog is handled was a step back and ill conceived but it doesn't really change anything outside of the presentation.

Bethesda is good at some stuff and they suck at some stuff. FO4 mostly excels at what Bethesda is good at, so it's funny to me seeing people act like they got mugged and beat up because a few things are exactly what you would expect.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Funky Valentine posted:

My version was the douchebag bartender got gunned down in the firefight so the cuckolded guy took the money and let me have run of the drug lab. Forget the drat drugs, I was more interested in how many hot plates it had.

My version was: I said "no, solve your own problems you weak subhuman" with Piper "YEAH, WE AINT YA PRIVATE HIT SQUAD!" shouting from the sidelines

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can get a pretty ridiculous amount of chems if you actually join in on the bust though. Somewhere between 30 and 60 of each IIRC.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Evilreaver posted:

I think my save got jammed. I just completed Tactical Thinking, Blind Betrayal and Liberty Primed, and all of a sudden none of the questgivers will talk to me. Anyone have a console command or something to get things back in order? The last save I have that's not jammed is 20 hours back :gonk:

Just a quick note on this, if anyone has the questID of whatever starts next, that's fine, I can work with that. I have 175 hours on this save, too much to lose at once :(
Or if someone has a link to hyperfallout nerds who might be better able to help, that would also be useful.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

NESguerilla posted:

They usually do illusion of choice (with a few big black and white choices, which FO4 does as well) though. I'd agree that the way dialog is handled was a step back and ill conceived but it doesn't really change anything outside of the presentation.

Bethesda is good at some stuff and they suck at some stuff. FO4 mostly excels at what Bethesda is good at, so it's funny to me seeing people act like they got mugged and beat up because a few things are exactly what you would expect.

Fallout 3 was never like this.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a trick to getting the companion affinities up? I want Danse's perk but I dont know if there is a way to cheese this or not.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

If you can still see them at all, (or if there aren't any entities in the way), and you're on PC, you can
-open console (`)
-enter "PRID ########"
-enter "moveto player"

If you can't see them, open a save when you can, get their number, and go back. NPC id numbers don't change (usually)

If you can click on them you don't need prid. It does the exact same selection thing as clicking on them.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sylink posted:

Is there a trick to getting the companion affinities up? I want Danse's perk but I dont know if there is a way to cheese this or not.

Basically you need to sleep with him.

I'm sorry.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
regarding minutemen endgame: do i need to actively make all other three factions hostile to me to get the minutemen endgame? neither preston or sturges have anything for me and i give zero fucks about the bos/institute/railroads lovely quests

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Verviticus posted:

regarding minutemen endgame: do i need to actively make all other three factions hostile to me to get the minutemen endgame? neither preston or sturges have anything for me and i give zero fucks about the bos/institute/railroads lovely quests

How far in are you?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
oh yeah oops: i got into the institute, met father, did the Meet The Bosses quest, cured virgil, and never touched the institute again

edit: i did a couple railroad and bos quests but no faction is mad at me and i havent had any quest mention bunker hill yet. do i need to do institute stuff?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 27, 2015

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Verviticus posted:

oh yeah oops: i got into the institute, met father, did the Meet The Bosses quest, cured virgil, and never touched the institute again

Hm, I did that as well but I did kill Father after picking up the cure and before I went to Virgil/leaving the Institute for the first time. Try killing Father, this should get some main story rolling. As you obviously won't be able to teleport in and out, because you're then enemies with them, you'll have to find an alternative way (which I'm guessing you can choose at that point with who you do this). I already killed every single BoS dude, so that option was already gone for me. Didn't do anything with the Railroad so Minutemen was automatically the only option for me.

E: About Bunker Hill: I only just saw Bunker Hill for the first time (and I'm at level 100+), I don't think there's any quest out there that will point you to this location, so you have to start exploring and find it by yourself.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

nah, i found it, i just didnt have a quest for it but everyone seems mention that as the culmination of the main story

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Verviticus posted:

The Minutemen will want you to destroy the Institute. As for the rest, you'll only get quests to destroy the others if you've already made yourself an enemy somehow. Like, I stole something from the BoS, so Preston gave me a quest to destroy the Prydwen after the Institute.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

The Minutemen will want you to destroy the Institute. As for the rest, you'll only get quests to destroy the others if you've already made yourself an enemy somehow. Like, I stole something from the BoS, so Preston gave me a quest to destroy the Prydwen after the Institute.

Ah ok, that explains it. Was wondering why they gave me that quest right after doing the first thing. It's really weird that after destroying the Prydwyn, I still sometimes see empty Vertibirds flying around, no Knights in it, no pilot, it's completely empty. But of course it'll still shoot somehow and doesn't give any loot whatsoever. At least it only requires a single bullet to take down.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

preston isnt even giving me that. neither he or sturges have anything. so basically i have three sets of story quests, one for each faction, and thats it. i guess ill just shoot them. cool well-designed story

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Verviticus posted:

preston isnt even giving me that. neither he or sturges have anything. so basically i have three sets of story quests, one for each faction, and thats it. i guess ill just shoot them. cool well-designed story

Can't blame Bethesda they obviously expect you to instantly murder BoS on sight. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the displayed damage for a gauss rifle the uncharged damage or the fully-charged damage?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
How is the companion stuff scored? Like if you need 1000 points for them to idolize you, what is every "xxx liked that" worth?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Sorry if this has been asked before but the thread moves fast:

I have Old Faithful (vendor legendary which does double damage if a target has full Heath), is it right to assume if I max gunslinger and then hit targets from stealth I could be hitting for 600+?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heads up. Someone on the subreddit uploaded and made an album of all the various comic book covers, in case you wanted to use/browse some of them.
http://imgur.com/a/ystlJ

There are a lot of different comics in this game!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

titties posted:

I took Animal Friend 3 to see if I liked it enough to dump more points into CHA for Wasteland Whisperer. I pacified a stunted yao guai, but as soon as I ordered it to follow it turned hostile and attacked me. The other yao guai that spawns nearby came running up so I pacified it, but as soon as I told it to follow it turned hostile.

Each time that I've pacified a mutant hound or raider attack dog and ordered it to attack it will attack, but as soon as its target is dead it turns hostile. Does this happen to anyone else?

Late but that isn't how it should work. With rank 3 I'd have whatever creatures happily follow me and attack whatever but never go hostile. Have you got one of those weird helmet targeting mods that break other NPCs or anything like that?

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Evilreaver posted:

-open console (`)
-enter "PRID ########"
-enter "moveto player"

Thanks for this

I finally got Hancock as a companion. What a good loving soldier he is. It's all "Yes, sure", "No problem", "Can do", "Right away", "Why don't you take some more drugs?" And once I benched Strong, he literally went to the chemistry bench and sat there saying something every four seconds, so I had to send him to a different settlement. I'll miss him, good meatshield.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Heads up. Someone on the subreddit uploaded and made an album of all the various comic book covers, in case you wanted to use/browse some of them.
http://imgur.com/a/ystlJ

There are a lot of different comics in this game!

There's a goatse tattoo?! :vince:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hemoglobin posted:

I love finding random little unmarked places.

I have found one such location southwest of Sufflock County Charter School.

(That's a Legendary Siegebreaker Sentry Bot and is currently ruining my day.)

4 Psychojet's and 4 retries later:

Worth it.

HACK SENTRIES

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Lima posted:

There's a goatse tattoo?! :vince:

Believe it or not, that's actually based on an even older rear end in a top hat spreading image, the Aloha Monkey Tattoo, which was designed by Sailor Jerry, aka Norman Keith Collins.

That is literally the only tattoo related fact I know and I don't even remember where I learnt about it

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

Believe it or not, that's actually based on an even older rear end in a top hat spreading image, the Aloha Monkey Tattoo, which was designed by Sailor Jerry, aka Norman Keith Collins.

That is literally the only tattoo related fact I know and I don't even remember where I learnt about it

The more you know! :pseudo:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sputty posted:

lmfao if you care about the story or gameplay of a Bethesda game. We're all here for the Minecraft town building.

They really want you to care about the story though. They pumped vast amounts of resources into voice acting the main character and making the dialogue into cinematic cutscenes, and if you don't think all that money and effort for a crappy story nobody cares about is extremely funny then you may have no soul.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

2house2fly posted:

They really want you to care about the story though. They pumped vast amounts of resources into voice acting the main character and making the dialogue into cinematic cutscenes, and if you don't think all that money and effort for a crappy story nobody cares about is extremely funny then you may have no soul.

I love the game and I don't mind the story too much as such, the mistake is in trying to make the weak main story drive the game forward. What NV really got right was that Fallout is fundamentally about the world, not the character, and the storytelling revolved around that. If they'd added the big pieces of the Sole Survivor's story as a major quest line for me to participate in while I ran around with no particular purpose, that would have been great. Bethesda's storytelling philosophy is more or less antithetical to that. I don't give a gently caress about my character in any Fallout game, and there are not enough voice actors in the world to make me care.

What's tragic is that Bethesda is trying and failing to make the character's story drive the game, something which they are notoriously bad at, when they should make the world drive the game instead, something they are world class at. It's not that the game is bad.

Tip: If you're having settler management troubles, don't bother installing renaming mods or whatever. Just write down their IDs in a txt file and summon them when you need them. It seems like it would be more frustrating, but it's actually blissfully convenient compared to the 'frantically run around checking for right settler' default.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 27, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

Guess I gotta restart the game as I'm not losing Vault-Tec Rep's ability to make level 4 stores. Of all the useless motherfuckers in this game to give essential to, they don't give it to this guy.

There's two other level 4 npc's that work at the general store emporium thing. Trader Rylee and Holt Combes. Combes is bugged, but you can go get Rylee easily to replace vault Tec.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I gave Piper the Grognak costume for a laugh and it has disappeared from her inventory despite her wearing it?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I gave Piper the Grognak costume for a laugh and it has disappeared from her inventory despite her wearing it?

That's because she wears it. Tell her to equip another outfit and it'll show up.

e. Deacon is so good at disguising that he made his hands disappear!

Lima fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 27, 2015

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Bacon Terrorist posted:

If you equip her with other clothing, the outfit she was previously wearing will appear in her inventory.

ie: worn clothes are not in inventory as they are being worn/used, silly.

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Hm, I guess Power Armor parts are an exception to that? Although I suppose you don't see the Powered Armor Frame in their inventory either.

• Locked thread