Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It seems so bizarre to me because my husband at 6' has had no issue with me as a 5'7" girl wearing heels or not. Some heels I've owned made me ever so slightly taller than him, or sometimes I wore flat soled shoes, but it didn't matter since we loved each other as people, not as props or something. I don't know. Our comparative height dimensions meant nothing. Honestly it needs to be something that doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Why can't people just be wrong/stupid/shallow anymore? "Maybe it's society! Maybe it's gender roles!" Why try to rationalize attraction? Sometimes some people(yes even women!) are shallow:shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

darkhand posted:

Why can't people just be wrong/stupid/shallow anymore? "Maybe it's society! Maybe it's gender roles!" Why try to rationalize attraction? Sometimes some people(yes even women!) are shallow:shrug:

Which is why nobody should care. If a girl rejects you because you're "too short", don't try and "correct" them, just move on. If you told a girl you don't want to date them because they're too fat/their boobs are too small/whatever they wouldn't go on a lecture about how you're perpetuating harmful gender roles/stereotypes, they'd move on because they don't want to date shallow assholes. Why are guys apparently not capable of this? No matter how rich, attractive, nice, and successful you are, there are always going to be people who just aren't attracted to you.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I am on the taller end of women's heights at 5'10, I have dated men everywhere from ~5'6-6'8 and they were all fantastic. Why? They were normal people who had things about them that were attractive and we developed chemistry with one another. They were people who were attractive or charming or funny or smart or kind or some combo of the above and that made me want to gently caress them.

If you spend your time worrying about whether you're too short, you're probably deficient on the personality end of the equation.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I worked with a lady who was an inch taller than her boyfriend, and she refused to wear heels around him since women are supposed to be shorter. A grown woman decided to stop wearing a fashion item she loved because of gender roles.

Not as bad as what they did to Princess Diana where they made her pose sitting or deliberately altered photos so she'd be shorter than her husband.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
French leaders with short-man complex are always a little worrying

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
How could you link that and not this gem

https://youtu.be/szRag94JwQQ

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

This person has never actually interacted with someone with clinical depression, have they? At my low point I once went an entire weekend without eating, and during that period I only got out of bed I think twice to go to the bathroom and spent multiple hours long stretches doing nothing but staring at the wall. During episodes, you don't feel "bad", you essentially temporarily lack any capacity to feel emotions at all. Like, that is such a facile understanding of depression I don't know how they didn't just get laughed out of their graduate advisor's office.

Yeah I have no idea. Everyone who is aware of this project is like "god, why is the supervisor letting this atrocity happen." It's an "interdisciplanary" project, which means multiple supervisors, which may have somethign to to with it.

And to be fair I haven't heard anything about the project since like May, and it was early stages then. It may be less of an embarrassment by now.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I have no idea. Everyone who is aware of this project is like "god, why is the supervisor letting this atrocity happen." It's an "interdisciplanary" project, which means multiple supervisors, which may have somethign to to with it.

And to be fair I haven't heard anything about the project since like May, and it was early stages then. It may be less of an embarrassment by now.

I mean, I'm gluten sensitive so my body becomes a grumpy rear end in a top hat to me when I eat gluten but I still ate it, but for those who have it worse than me, like celiacs, etc. it's kind of important.

I know this is making fun of those who chose to do the gluten-free diet but people seem to focus on that and not think about people with the actual allergy where some people can actually die.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

CommonShore posted:

If the project is looking at the *discourse* surrounding depression (that is, how people talk about it) then questioning why it is considered important to be productive is interesting. Like, I could see asking the philosophical question, "what value is there in work for work's sake? Why is it that when we define depression (or any mental illness) as interfering with a person's life, it's accepted that work is a necessary part of life? Why have we accepted the capitalist way of being is suited for all personality types?" Those are interesting questions for a thesis. If the argument is that "depression" is just a term to stigmatize unproductive people and, therefore, that it ONLY really inhibits a person's work (as family isn't considered productive to capitalists but is something that can be severely hurt by depression), then it is a bad project that itself fails to understand the mental illness it wants others to see in a new light. As a grad student who did undergrad in Psychology and English, I can see how the humanities Marxist-critique of psychology studies is extremely tempting, but I don't know if this was the best planned project. Good luck to the person though. Maybe they'll produce something worth thinking about!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

If the project is looking at the *discourse* surrounding depression (that is, how people talk about it) then questioning why it is considered important to be productive is interesting. Like, I could see asking the philosophical question, "what value is there in work for work's sake? Why is it that when we define depression (or any mental illness) as interfering with a person's life, it's accepted that work is a necessary part of life? Why have we accepted the capitalist way of being is suited for all personality types?" Those are interesting questions for a thesis. If the argument is that "depression" is just a term to stigmatize unproductive people and, therefore, that it ONLY really inhibits a person's work (as family isn't considered productive to capitalists but is something that can be severely hurt by depression), then it is a bad project that itself fails to understand the mental illness it wants others to see in a new light. As a grad student who did undergrad in Psychology and English, I can see how the humanities Marxist-critique of psychology studies is extremely tempting, but I don't know if this was the best planned project. Good luck to the person though. Maybe they'll produce something worth thinking about!

Yeah, it's English/Gender studies. The student in question has a bad habit of expressing things poorly in conversation, so I've given this project the benefit of the doubt to that extent, but when the project takes an attitude toward disability the same way that "Queering" gets used.....

ugh.

Ok I'm done thinking about this.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

darkhand posted:

Nothing wrong with trying to figure out what causes people to be wrong/stupid/shallow. That's how society changes - we realize the subtle things that make us subconsciously prefer certain things, even when it doesn't make sense.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scathach posted:

. I'm 5'7 or '8ish and my husband is 5'9

Lol sorry about your husband

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
STDH, but not in the way I was expecting (showed up in my facebook feed after a former coworker girl Liked it):

This was posted with the comment "The feels on the bus go round and round", and many of the comments were about how sad (depressing sad, not pathetic sad) and romantic it is.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jake im dying dont text this number anymore because im dying ok im dead now later.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

All those ellipses piss me off

RIP ellipses girl

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Here lies Heily...

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Eh! Frank posted:

STDH, but not in the way I was expecting (showed up in my facebook feed after a former coworker girl Liked it):

This was posted with the comment "The feels on the bus go round and round", and many of the comments were about how sad (depressing sad, not pathetic sad) and romantic it is.

Whether or not this actually happened, this really shows just how much worse Nice Guys are compared to the callous assholes they bitch about. At least the rear end in a top hat would have given her the chance to bring up what she's going through instead of using every moment he had to remind her just how much he deserves her love.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Nov 27, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Here lies Heily...

"Her name was dumb"

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Eh! Frank posted:

lyk dis if u cry evrytime

Why are times and words like "tomorrow" and "tonight" underlined?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Whether or not this actually happened, this really shows just how much worse Nice Guys are compared to the callous assholes they bitch about. At least the rear end in a top hat would have given her the chance to bring up what she's going through instead of using every moment he had to remind her just how much he deserves her love.

This thing has a very...distorted sense of time due to its format. It apparently happened over a span of days/weeks, but it reads as if it took place in one big conversation. He also presumably knew about her condition, but avoided it in that, "Let's talk about something else" sort of way, and I personally can't fault that. Everything else is pure glurge though. Ughhh

Honestly, I wanted the punchline to be either "new phone. who dis" or "this is heily's bf. stop hitting on my girl bitch(txt me l8r @ 8675309 ;-*)"

e:

I.C. posted:

Auto formatting of contextual words, similar to a web link, so that the calendar app can record it. Type in a time or phone number and text a frie-...ohh, that's why you didn't know...

Postal Parcel has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Nov 27, 2015

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

I.C. posted:

It is as the goon above me said, but I just wanted to add that it's also great for adding creepy gravitas. "Hey babe when are you coming home?" "Tonight."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Eh! Frank posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcn1Q9fWahM

I cry evertim.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, it's English/Gender studies. The student in question has a bad habit of expressing things poorly in conversation, so I've given this project the benefit of the doubt to that extent, but when the project takes an attitude toward disability the same way that "Queering" gets used.....

ugh.

Ok I'm done thinking about this.

This person is brilliant at being lazy because there was tons of work done on this in the 70s and 80s that nobody reads anymore. Deleuze and Guattari's Anti-Oedipus, for instance, or the issue of Semiotext(e) that was written entirely by mental hospital patients. You could just basically do a book report on "weird poo poo that used to get people tenure" bam, done.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Nice.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

This is a beautiful image, no irony intended at all. Thank you for posting it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
stay safe guman

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
If you want to drag the crazies out on your social media of choice post something like "terrorist attack on planned parenthood kills 2, where is the Christian outrage condemning the attack"

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

PROTIP: If you're going to abuse your dog, DON'T:

1.) Photograph it

2.) Share it on your public Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004883925173

"MOM Discovers how to become famous overnight, you won't believe what she did!"

Well that was quick:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-police-investigate-photo-dog-duct-taped-mouth-n470641

forbidden dialectics has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Nov 28, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That showed up on my wall last night when it had 75,000 shares, she had 107 friends, now she has 75. Actions have consequences.

Don't brag about animal abuse on the internet!

Don't abuse animals at all

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Postal Parcel posted:

This is a beautiful image, no irony intended at all. Thank you for posting it.

It belongs in a museum.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

That showed up on my wall last night when it had 75,000 shares, she had 107 friends, now she has 75. Actions have consequences.

Don't brag about animal abuse on the internet!

Don't abuse animals at all

From the page. Names blocked because I feel they still should be:

Also, now down to 69 friends. So that's good I guess :)

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

She shared this a couple months ago...

Makes you think!
(not blocking names, I think a public page that's been shared 250k times and featured uncensored on multiple news sites is fair game)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Solution: put both of them into a box and drop it in the Mariana Trench.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wait, did Sheen actually do anything criminally malicious like refuse to wear condoms to spread HIV on purpose?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Picnic Princess posted:

Wait, did Sheen actually do anything criminally malicious like refuse to wear condoms to spread HIV on purpose?

No, he got with the women and his doctor and had a talk about safety with someone HIV positive-- basically as long as he kept his meds up and the women took a anti-HIV drug they didn't have to worry about catching it. So him having it is like a non-issue.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Nov 29, 2015

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Breetai posted:

Being short is like balding: 90% of the time the people who complain about it are getting poo poo on because of the massive chip on their shoulder rather than the condition itself.

as someone whos both I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
Does Reddit count as social media?