Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Okay can someone explain reaction moves in EOTS?

quote:

Reaction units that are in a battle hex may
be activated. Only air and carrier units may use reaction movement
to leave a battle hex before combat is resolved, but if they do so,
they must still participate in the battle in the hex they departed from
(exception: 7.43 Ground Disengagement).
So excepting ground disengagement, air and carrier units (only) may move out of a battle and into another battle, but participate in both at once? Which one occurs first? What if they lose the first one?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Do the one they left from first. If poo poo hits the fan, nobody is left alive to assist the second engagement.

Edit: I have no experience with the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

StashAugustine posted:

Okay can someone explain reaction moves in EOTS?

So excepting ground disengagement, air and carrier units (only) may move out of a battle and into another battle, but participate in both at once? Which one occurs first? What if they lose the first one?
No, they can't participate in two battles. They can only participate in the battle within the hex they just vacated. The reason why you would want to do such a reaction is in situations when the enemy is attacking with a lot of non-air assets: in that case, moving the CV/air unit out might prevent them from being flipped.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Given there exists a "game" that is an interface for disassembling and assembling virtual guns and the popularity of the virtual lego that is minecraft, I wonder just how many millions one could make with a counter clipping simulator.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Given there exists a "game" that is an interface for disassembling and assembling virtual guns and the popularity of the virtual lego that is minecraft, I wonder just how many millions one could make with a counter clipping simulator.

Alternately, make it a cookie clicker clone except with counter clipping.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

taser rates posted:

Alternately, make it a cookie clicker clone except with counter clipping.

You need to take breaks every so often or else you'll get carpal tunnel syndrome and/or your arthritis kicks in.

But you can pay $0.99 for some bengay and keep clipping.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Alternately, make a wargame engine like vassal entirely within Minecraft!!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Alternately, make a wargame engine like vassal entirely within Minecraft!!

Utilizing the power of redstone, a working FiTL AI within the minecraft.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Or, even better, a working game in AGEOD engine!

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Lichtenstein posted:

Or, even better, a working game in AGEOD engine!

Madness! What folly is this, a working AGEOD-engine game is impossible by any standard!

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Gah, MMP shipping prices to Europe are absolutely horrendous. So, obviously I did the responsible thing and ordered a poo poo load of games at once so that the shipping price per game is much lower.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

COOL CORN posted:

Too real... It's TOO REAL...

I don't need friends anymore:

Space Alert is set up because friends are coming :3:

Sorry for the horrid picture and size, phoneposting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

I don't need friends anymore:

Space Alert is set up because friends are coming :3:

Sorry for the horrid picture and size, phoneposting.

It's such a beautiful game and system, can't wait to hear what you think.

That said, I'm kicking myself for selling it during the Great Need-Rent Game Purge of 2015.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I feel like I've crossed some sort of nerd threshold, passed into a new world. I've found I evaluate wargame purchases as much from a solo play perspective as anything else. It started out as, oh, I'll play this solo to learn the rules to make the first game with someone else less of a trainwreck, to, hey that was pretty fun in and of itself, maybe I should get apache thunderbolt leader or something.

I blame all of you for this :argh:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

It's such a beautiful game and system, can't wait to hear what you think.

My people are either captured, dead or starving and everything is terrible and I feel sad :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

My people are either captured, dead or starving and everything is terrible and I feel sad :(

I know that feeling - it's honestly a very depressing game to play.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just put The Greatest Day on my wishlist I sent to my parents. I almost don't even want it, I can't fathom someone spending that much money on a game.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 28, 2015

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

COOL CORN posted:

I know that feeling - it's honestly a very depressing game to play.

That's how I feel with Navajo wars.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm looking to update my game space a bit. I need better gaming tables. I've been using the folding plastic tables from Costco, but am thinking of something more along the lines of a ping pong table, since it folds up and is also large enough to handle something like WIF or AWAW. I'm also thinking of getting some magnetic white boards, and I want a table that will be large enough to handle a couple of those at a time, which I think will work since a std ping pong table is 5' x 9' and should be able to handle a couple 4'x5' boards.

I'm curious what other goons have got going, or if ping pong tables have been tried and are bad or something.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

sonatinas posted:

That's how I feel with Navajo wars.

It's the lack of cannibalism rules. It takes away hope.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've run the tutorial and a short run (in which I've been thoroughly trashed) of a very difficult game. I feel completely qualified to do an AAR of this thing.

Let me talk you about Navajo Wars:

Navajo Wars is a card driven , up to two players wargame that depicts the struggle of the Diné (The People, in Navajo) to keep their territories and culture from their first encounter with Europeans to their subjugation by the Americans.

The Playbook comes with 6 scenarios. Three that cover the Sanish, Mexican or American periods, one for the first half of the Mexican period, one for the second part of the American period and big campaign that I'm not going to play ever.

It also has a sweet map:

A couple of things to mention before we start:

The map is divided on 7 Territories, each of which is composed of several Areas, and represented by groups of color coded stones. Lines mark adjacency, the numbers below them movement cost and the ones in parentheses mark movement cost when our family has horses. In general, “deeper” areas are safer, easier to defend and cultivate land in, but they are worse for raiding.

We'll want to spread our Families (units) as much as possible thorough the different Territories. Besides getting more resources (food and forage for our animals), it will also give us more VPs (4, in the case of Shiprock. The Canyon de Chelly is special and doesn't give us any)

This is the families track. Right now, we have 3 Families, representing three different, semi-nomadic groups of Diné, led by a respected Elder or headman. Men are needed to fight battles and raid, women produce Trade Goods and Culture and children can be converted to other Population types. Every population token can be converted to Elders.

The numbers before the family token are bonus for Evasion (running) and Ferocity (punching), and always add up to 2.

These are the Passage of Time Track and the Elder Track. We'll put population counters in the Passage of Time track through the game, which we can then use to replenish existing families or create new ones. The Elders give us action points and activations, and some other stuff. They get wiser as they age, but progressively more likely to die.

This is the AI of the enemy. In short, each time the enemy gets a chance to act they will get a number of Activity points, which then they'll use to do the action at the top of the Active column if possible (and going down if they on't have enough AP for it, or performing more if they have enough AP). Then the counter moves to the right and then to the bottom of the Active list. The commands from the Standby column can swap into the Active column at any given time.

The General Record Track. Counters for Military and Culture Points, Enemy (in this case Spanish) Ferocity and Morale, Diné Action Pints, Movement Points for active families and DRMs for both us and the enemy.

Setting up, we get one Cultural Development Card. There are 8 types with 3 levels each, and we get 5 random sets each game. I've chosen LvL 1 Horsemanship, both because it's the Tutorial choice and because I plan to get horses for everyone ASAP.

So here's our map at the start. I've set up a deck of 18 cards, which is our timer. There are two VP check cards, one in each half of the deck. The end of the game triggers after we draw and resolve the second one, and our objective is to have more Military points than enemy Morale at that point.

First turn is here

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 30, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Rise of the people, Turn 1

Laughing at my dumb decisions encouraged.

First thing first, we draw a card:

This is an Operations card, the most common type. We do stuff and the Enemy does stuff. The Enemy goes first, unless we spend AP to go first, in which case they get less AP as well (two instead of three in this case). I'm going to Pre-empt them, lowering our AP from 3 to 1, for reasons. After that we'll run the Major and Minor Event.

There are 3 things we can do in our Operations Phase: Planning (get AP and use our Elders to do stuff), Take Actions (Move our Family Counters) and Passage of Time (refill or place Family Counters). Let's Take Actions for now. We can activate a number of Families equal to our Elders plus the number of families in Canyon de Chely (with a minimun of 1 if no Families present)

Family A has heard about these Spaniard, and that they have brought some animals to America, namely “sheep” and “horses”. Apparently they are useful and the Elders want some to give them to Dr. Vahlen for study to get new technologies eat them.

Let's go get some!

An acivated family gets 6MP (+1 if they have a horse at the start of the turn, due to Horsemanship). Raiding Santa Fe costs a number of MP equal to the Area Value of the interviewing areas, plus Santa Fe itself, so 2 MPs in that case. We can raid up to 3 times. We could also raid with any family once by spending the entire MP allowance, no matter where it is.

To see the results of a Raid, we draw coloured cubes from a bag, whose contents depend of the scenario we're running. In this case, our Raid Pool consists of 3 Red cubes (those represent the Subjugation of New Mexico, and increase Enemy AP gain per turn as they pacify the tribes and set up infrastructure), 1 Green cube (a battle with Mexican defenders), 3 Brown (we get Horses), 3 White (we get Sheep), 3 Black (we get an animal of our choice) and 2 Yellow (we get Slaves, which mechanically means we get a Children added to our Passage of Time box). What all this means is that we have a 75% chance of getting something good out of the bag, but also that it will get progressively worse as we keep on raiding and the Spaniards get tired of our poo poo.

We get lucky with our first 2 pulls, taking a Brown (horse) and a Sheep (Black, my choice). Sadly I get greedy and pull a third time, getting a Red Cube. The Spaniards are starting to realize that we're not going to pack up and leave, so they are speeding up their attempts to pacify us. That Red Cube is going to stay there for a while. Still, the raids have harmed them, and now they have a -1 modifier to their AP gain (2 raided-1 red cubes). We gain 2 Ferocity on family A.

Now, I would like to move Family B out of the Canyon, because it gives no VPs there. I'd also like for them to start planting corn to feed the Dané when we Pass Time, but that costs me 4 MPs plus the Area Value of wherever I'm doing it. With only 6MPs, I can only do that by travelling south to Hopi Land. This is bad because there's a Major event going on that can make me lose one family in Hopi Land. Given that I've starved basically every time it's been a possibility, I've I decide to risk it. Either I get some food or less mouths to feed.

I'm at a loss on what to do with Family C. In the end, I decide to give them Horses, which you can assign to any family at any point, and send them on a raid to New Mexico.

This time I'm lucky and get an extra set of Horses. Due to being mounted, that only costs me 4 MP, and I can use the rest to retreat to a more defensible location. They also get 1 extra ferocity, which isn't reflected in the picture.

And that's it for me. Now the Spanish take their turn. They get 2 (from the card) + 1 (Red Subjugation cube) - 3 (Raided cubes) AP, for a total of 1, which is actually the minimum they get each turn. Managing their speed is important, so this is a good result.

Each turn we roll to see if any instruction orders change places, and in this case the Ute counter from the Standby column and the Subvert counter from the active column trade places. Just before the Enemy starts its Operations, we have this.

The Enemy will use it's single AP to perform the first action of the Active column, which is a Subjugate, with cost 1. Subjugate actions means drawing cubes from the Raid pool, and either placing them on the Subjugation of New Mexico area (for Red Cubes) or on the Recovery Area. Whatever the case, they will worsen our odds, unless we're VERY lucky and they remove the single green cube from the bag.

And they do get a Red Cube. They must have really liked those horses.

I move the Subjugate Instruction to the right as it has been completed, then pull every Instruction in the Active column upwards, and the Subjugate Instruction goes into the empty space at the bottom.

That's operations done. We go back to the event card and resolve the Major and Minor event:

Sadly, the Spanish aren't our only enemies. The Zuni and the Hopi, part of the Pueblo, have been intermittent enemies our entire lives. Waging war against them means loss of lives (we lose a Family in an area), while leaving them unchecked means a loss of Culture. I roll a die (3) which means that we lose 1 Culture as the Zuni encroach in some of our land to the south.

Last, we roll to see if some instructions trade columns. I roll a 5, so the Build and Slaves Instruction swap columns.

Here's where we stand (plus 1 horse resource I forgot about):

And that's it. Turn 1 of (possibly) 18 done. Do you guys want me to keep on doing this? Any suggestion or improvement you'd like to see? Again heckling and/or help is encouraged. Next card gives 4 AP to the Spanish and has the Apaches Raiding New Mexico :ohdear:

Turn 02 here

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fat Samurai posted:

Do you guys want me to keep on doing this?

This is rhetorical, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Totally keep going at least for a while, that was very instructive and interesting.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Turn 01 here

Ok, let's do turn 2, then. I'll slow down during the week, probably.

Rise of the People, turn 2

To begin with, we draw an Event Card. And it's kind of a problem.

We cannot pre-empt this, for starters. Which means that the Spanish go first, collecting 3 APs (4 from the card, 2 from Subjugation Cubes and minus 3 from Raided Cubes). I roll 2 6s, so the Instructions on the sixth row swap places. Hey, maybe there will be peace in our time! (Peace, unexpectedly, is very annoying as well, because the colonists will try to build Outposts in our territory every turn.)

The Spanish will execute their first Instruction, Subjugate with a cost of 2. They are heavy on Subjugating, maybe the other scenarios change things up a little.

Anyway, the Spanish pay their 2 APs and draw 2 White Cubes. After kidnapping so many horses, I guess they're afraid will start with the sheep. The cubes go to the Recovery Pool, which goes back into the Raid Pool faster than the cubes we raid, but doesn't cause them to lose AP. Think of it as protecting their holdings and making them impossible to raid. In any case, they make raiding very difficult for us, because there are few good cubes left.

They have only 1 AP left, so the Spanish cannot execute their next Instruction. They'll keep the AP for the following turn. Back to us now.

My families are more or less where I want them, with the exception of A, which is too close to Santa Fe. I could Take Actions to move family A to a more defensible position further into the Territory, but then the others would be almost wasting their turns, because I'm too afraid to Raid New Mexico. Enemy Raids only take effect when there are 3 Red cubes in the Subjugation pool, otherwise they act like Subjugation orders. If I raid, I risk triggering 3 Subjugation myself, and eating 2 Raids (one from the Utes and one from the Spanish) in a row.

I decide to take a Planning action.

For starters, I get a population counter matching the one in the card into the Passing of Time track. Our population is growing! Or will grow! Eventually! Also, we gain 3 Diné AP (one for each of our Elders) and our Elder get wiser but also older. I move them all one step to the right.

Now we get to put our Elders to work make use of the wisdom of our Elders. If we roll below the target number for each (just below them on the Elder Track), we get to either add 1 AP, modify the ferocity of one of our families either up or down by one or trade Culture and Military points on a one on one basis. I'm interested in getting Military Points, because that's the way we win the game, but APs are also nice. I decide to try and get 1 Military, and after that as many APs as we can. I check Elders from left to right and roll 2, 5 and 1, so only the last Elder succeeds while the others bore our young warriors with stories about their youths. I get 1 Military and lose 1 Culture.

Then the families that contain a woman counter can spend 1 AP to get a Trade Good, which we can spend as gifts, as rerolls or to get an animal. We are limited to 3 trade Goods unless we get a Cultural Advancement that let us get more. I get all three and lower my AP to 1.

Here's where we stand right now. At this point, we would win the game if it ends this turn, because our Military is mightier than our enemies' morale!(or at least we can be enough of a nuisance that they prefer not to bother with us). Only have to last for 17 more turns!

Anyway, the last step of the Planning are Tribal Raids. If there is a Ute or Comanche Raid Instruction in the active column, we can go to war with those tribes for glory, loot and the removal of that pesky counter. All we need is a family with able men and 1 AP to go around tomahawking people in the face!

I choose Family A, give them my last set of spare horses and send them to the Utes. Hopefully that will remove their counter and make the raids more manageable.

Incidentally, it's very difficult to find images of Native Americans fighting each other. It's also very hard to make what amounts to a dice roll interesting with just a lot of text :(

Anyway, the battles themselves are pretty simple. We start with a base ferocity for each side (our family ferocity for us, the one marked on the track for the Spanish, Utes get 4 and Comanches get 5) and add modifiers (if we have firearms and whether we are mounted or not). Each one gets a dice roll and the difference between rolls+modifiers is cross referenced against a table of locations. Areas with higher values (the ones "deeper" into the Territories) give us better values than the most exposed ones, and when we initiate an attack (while raiding or against an outpost), it's pretty neutral.

For this one, we roll with a +4 (our ferocity plus our horses modifier) against their +4. Hmmm... maybe I haven't really thought this through. I really expected to have the advantage here. In any case, nothing risked nothing gained, we roll 5 and they roll ...6... crap.

This is supposed to be a To The Death result. We lose the man counter and the horse, which is pretty devastating. I kinda have to use the 3 Trade Goods to Reroll their die. And it's a 1! That's Major Family Victory.

And a MFV gives us a lot of things! A increase in Military, a decrease of Enemy Morale and a roll in the Loot Table, that comes as a 2, netting us a Trade Good. So we've only wasted 2 through sheer ineptitude! Finally, we roll to see what goes to the Instruction active column now that the Utes know better than messing up with us. We roll a 1, swapping the Utes for a Subvert action which costs from 1 AP to a maximum of 3.

With that we end up a very successful Planning. It's time to do the Major and Minor events and end the turn. Back to the Event Card:

The Raid Pool coughs up a Black cube. It goes into the Raided Cubes area. Added to our own efforts, that's -4 APs for the next Spanish turn. Pity they are probably getting many more.

The Minor Effect is a drought, which will make more difficult to get Corn, and give us less food in the Territory it hits at Passage of Time. We can try to get new wells up and running to compensate, but it's time consuming and we (usually) have other priorities. It randomly hits Black Mesa.

Here we are at the end of Turn 2. Next turn here

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 30, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My copy of Fire in the Lake arrived!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

How is Cuba: The Splendid Little War?

It looks interesting and like a shorter version of Twilight Struggle.

Could it be used as an introduction? I seems that the games has an easier to grasp Goal and win condition.

Anyone played it?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

More Indians!

Rise of the People: Turn 3 Turn 2 is here

As always, we draw an Event card.

This one is different than the previous 2. Ceremonies cards don't let either us or the Enemy act, but still give us some choices. To begin with, all Ceremony cards require us to Reset the cubes.

What this means is that we send the Raided cubes to the Recovery box, and those in the Recovery Box back into the Raid Pool. This represents the Enemy recovering from our raids: there is more stuff to raid back into the pool, but the damage from our raids has been fixed, so the AI will stop being slowed down by it (we lose the -4 modifier to their gained AP).

After that, we decide whether to keep the card in our had or to discard it.

a) If we discard it, the turn ends and we move to the next Event card.
b) If we keep it, we'll add a women counter to our passage of time track, and also will be able to discard the card to make ANY die roll a 3 (used before the roll). On the other hand, if another Ceremony card pops up, we'll have to execute al the “Enemy Way” in our current Ceremony cards. In this case, to place random counters on the board, that can be either good or (usually) bad. If that happens, we can discard the cards in our hand in exchange of losing the population counter.

I keep it because I'm a fool brave, and the penalty is not that bad.

That was a quick turn.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How these clippers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G08PEXO/

Compared to

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CG7D1S/

Thinking of taking the OCD route for wargames.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Go with the full-size guide, IMO. You don't want to be trying to hold a chit pinched in your fingers while you do the cutting. This way you lay it into the guide, press with your index finger to seat it, clip, with a pull, twist, and poke, it's reseated on another corner, and ready for the next cut. You do less damage to the printing, and run less risk of losing it in the carpet when it slips from your finger.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What's wrong with me?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
lol if you're not trimming and contouring with an xacto-knife freehand just lol

The General
Mar 4, 2007

There would be blood.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The General posted:

How these clippers

Compared to

Get the big one. It doubles as a club.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

The General posted:

There would be blood.

Hallmark of true grognard.

Or not. Did a lot of Panzergrenadier: Road to Berlin that way and have been looking at myself weird ever since.

edit: \/ it's kind of like scrapbooking and it's cheaper than most other hobbies.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How do I explain it to my family?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

The General posted:

How do I explain it to my family?

Tell them it's art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

The General posted:

How these clippers

Compared to

I got the 2.5 mm Deluxe there and it's good. I kind of wish I had gotten 3 mm because I think I wanted a bit more taken off then what the 2.5 mm is cutting. Works great, though.