Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So the FLGS has a black Friday sale and I'm thinking about picking up a couple of things. Are there any opinions about Heroes Wanted or 1830 (assuming that I haven't played another 18xx but like heavy economic games).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Heroes Wanted fell really flat around here, people played it for a day or two and found it too fiddly and generally uninteresting. Even the Sentinels crowd, who usually like that sort of design and theming, dropped it after a few games without looking back.

1830's fairly complicated but if you like heavy economic games you should definitely play it at least once - it's an excellent game. If you can find it without spending too much and you have 3 other people willing to sit down for the 5-6+ hours a first game will take (it'll speed up from there, but first game is long as people feel out the rules and game pacing) it's highly recommended and a good entry point into 18xx.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also tried out digital Splendor from the Steam sale, and it seems sort of flat. I'm playing against the 'Balanced' AI though, which is probably not super challenging.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Splendor is indeed a super basic engine builder and pretty flat. If you like more depth/moving parts in your games, you can pretty handily pass on it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I just skipped 2000+ posts. Anything particularly notable I missed? How's TTA 2.0, I'm considering buying that as I don't own the original.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andarel posted:

Splendor is indeed a super basic engine builder and pretty flat. If you like more depth/moving parts in your games, you can pretty handily pass on it.

It had been in my buy queue for a while because I've heard it's a decent little game to fill in between other stuff, but having played it I think I can safely pass on it. Thanks Steam.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Bubble-T posted:

I just skipped 2000+ posts. Anything particularly notable I missed? How's TTA 2.0, I'm considering buying that as I don't own the original.

I think there was a fair amount of titty miniatures discussion.

Miniature Market good, Cardhaus better, surprise Amazon deals, Coolstuff lol.

Good Opinions Index:
Rutibex 10%
Jedit 50%

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bubble-T posted:

Files off all the rough edges on an already great game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The End posted:

Files off all the rough edges on an already great game.

Most, but not all.

Strictly superior to TTA, but I'd probably still find a way to get topdecked.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is it still a really long game?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've read the changes they made to TtA and they're all for the better. Having played hundreds of games in real life and many more hundreds online, I feel qualified to say so.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
When the hell does the new TtA come out?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Any comments on whether the warfare changes improve the 2 player? Maybe it's just a few rocky experiences, but I found the zero sum nature of the 2 player game meant falling behind on warfare even slightly usually cost the game. (Could be not enough experience though)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You only get a 1 turn advantage for tactics now. After they go into a pool and anybody can use that tactic now

No more sacking of units. What you have is what you have. But also there's no cap on military strength.

Military cards can be discarded for +1 Def regardless of what they are.

All of those help with the current problems.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Blamestorm posted:

Any comments on whether the warfare changes improve the 2 player? Maybe it's just a few rocky experiences, but I found the zero sum nature of the 2 player game meant falling behind on warfare even slightly usually cost the game. (Could be not enough experience though)

Only time you sacrifice troops is for colonies. Defenders only get to use bonuses. Wars/aggressions don't damage the civ, just points. Game seems to really encourage a more balanced build.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a pdf of the actual second edition rules

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Handbook on Czech games site summarises the changes

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Broken Loose posted:

Most, but not all.

Strictly superior to TTA, but I'd probably still find a way to get topdecked.

Shared single deck is your kryptonite

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
For the fellow Brits Caylus is £15 at board game guru in their Black Friday sale.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've taught Space Alert a couple of times following the entire training manual and it fell somewhat flat. Any suggestions about teaching it? We're going to be 3 players, which complicates matters a bit.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I go with the manual when playing with normies (I do roll last two games together, as golden cards and the window do not necessitate their own step.

If I am with gamers I pretty much skip the tutorial whatsoever, or just stop right before internal threats for the first game.

I wish there were no normies though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rumda posted:

For the fellow Brits Caylus is £15 at board game guru in their Black Friday sale.

Friend of mine is going to be pissed off, he just bought Mangrovia and it's dropped to £10.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Rumda posted:

Looks like this might have been an error as it's showing as normal price for me now.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

Mangrovia

Not come across this before - can anyone recommend it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aston posted:

Looks like this might have been an error as it's showing as normal price for me now.

Look on the Black Friday Sale page. It may be different.

Re: Mangrovia - I didn't play it, but the people who did thought it was OK. It's an area control game where you're building villages in a mangrove swamp. Each space has different building requirements, and you can only build on two of the four types of space each turn. There's a few other mechanics I didn't see or hear about. Probably worth a punt at £10.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Aston posted:

They only had a certain amount of stock on the sale and it ran out :(

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Heads up Mage Knight fans, according to my local dealer it will come out from a different publisher in 2016 and there are rumors about new expansions. No clue yet if the versions will be compatible game material wise.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Looking for a cheap, light but replayable game for up to 5 to take home to my family at Christmas. They have played coup before but i'd like something non bluffing based.

First few things that came to mind are No thanks, For Sale, and Sushi Go. Of those i've only played No thanks, and it was just the once, so not too sure which to go for (or some other option i've overlooked)

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Nique posted:

Looking for a cheap, light but replayable game for up to 5 to take home to my family at Christmas. They have played coup before but i'd like something non bluffing based.

First few things that came to mind are No thanks, For Sale, and Sushi Go. Of those i've only played No thanks, and it was just the once, so not too sure which to go for (or some other option i've overlooked)
Codenames if you can find it.

So I ordered Hive as part of Amazon's B2G1 sale, but when I did a search for the rules I found out that there are actually 2 other versions that include 2 of the (ludicrously priced) expansions. I'm kind of annoyed, how much do the ladybug and mosquito add to the game.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Nique posted:

For Sale sounds like a good idea. It plays quickly and is easy to teach. Hanabi?

Nique
May 18, 2006

Have Codenames already, but unfortunately my sister is extremely dyslexic, word games would stress her the gently caress out

Already own this, i'm just on the fence about whether playing it with drunk people would be hilarious or awful.

I was leaning towards For Sale, just a little hesitant as for some reason it is double the price of both No thanks & Sushi go and somebody in my gamer group already owns it.

Nique fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 27, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kalthir posted:

For Sale sounds like a good idea. It plays quickly and is easy to teach. Hanabi?

I thought Hanabi only took four?

My go-to light game for five would be Dodekka, if you can find it. Totally language independent, plays in ten minutes with up to 6, the only requirement is the ability to count to 12.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jedit posted:

I thought Hanabi only took four?
Hanabi does five.

I've played it with drunk people on more than one occasion, and it was mostly just frustrating. Break out Codenames or Concept for that type of environment.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Nique posted:

Just do single team codenames

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

the panacea posted:

Heads up Mage Knight fans, according to my local dealer it will come out from a different publisher in 2016 and there are rumors about new expansions. No clue yet if the versions will be compatible game material wise.

Wait, with the same theme? I thought wizkids owned the mage knight license? You don't mean the star trek mage knight do you?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey everyone, found this as part of a guide online. It's a great resource for giving white elephant gifts or gifts to people you secretly hate:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Welcome to the Dungeon is actually pretty good though, rest are butt.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

sector_corrector posted:

Hey everyone, found this as part of a guide online. It's a great resource for giving white elephant gifts or gifts to people you secretly hate:

Does it really have Cosmic Encounter after Race for the Galaxy? That guide is pants.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Does it really have Cosmic Encounter after Race for the Galaxy? That guide is pants.

Whatever you think about Race and Cosmic, there's no way they should be anywhere near each other in a result. I think there could be a branch of a decision chart that ends with Cosmic as your top result; for some people, Cosmic is an ideal game. But, compared to arriving at Race, you should be going the opposite way at every turn to get there.

Unless, I guess, your answers are literally SPACE! SPACE! SPACE! SPACE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That guide is hilariously bad. It puts Hanabi, Munchkin, Bang, A Game of Thrones, and Netrunner under the same category of "complex card games".

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 27, 2015