Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Continuing with the Black Friday theme, does anyone still buy Blu-rays? I mostly stream everything these days, with Blu-rays reserved for films with ridiculous extras/commentaries like LOTR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Continuing with the Black Friday theme, does anyone still buy Blu-rays? I mostly stream everything these days, with Blu-rays reserved for films with ridiculous extras/commentaries like LOTR.

If it's under a tenner on Amazon or something or at the local store I frequent, sure. Also Criterions because they've always got a really nice total package, design, extras, pure transfer quality, the works.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
inks on ver 2.0 are basically done. :toot: Needs a little more cleaning then into mangastudio it goes in an attempt to make it look dece.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

*in jewish grandmother voice* why dont you draw something nice with the gift god gave you instead of this gobbledygook. how about a nice spider man

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That looks like some kind of Philadelphian troll.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

So a philadelphian

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Safety Factor posted:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Harime Nui posted:

inks on ver 2.0 are basically done. :toot: Needs a little more cleaning then into mangastudio it goes in an attempt to make it look dece.

So does this mean that you're gonna go kill the Philly Phanatic because there's no way he's not full of that alien fabric you need to live.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Josh Lyman posted:

Since extras generally went downhill and most commentaries are just not interesting I stopped. There seems so little point these days, as much as I like physical media. It's also a small thing, but I don't want the UK's anti-piracy advert playing before every movie I buy and legally own (Funnily enough, when groups would pirate DVDs they'd strip all of that stuff out so that the DVD boots straight to the main menu).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anime is blood.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I haven't quit buying blu rays altogether, but I've cut back significantly over the past year. I used to blind buy a lot and buy pretty much anything I enjoyed in the theater. I've pretty much quit blind buying anything, and I just really focus on the ones I want the most. I also did a purge of my collection a few months ago. There's no point in having movies that I'll never watch again take up shelf space.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I always just sort of thought that Harime Nui's av was an animed up Helga from Hey Arnold

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I haven't quit buying blu rays altogether, but I've cut back significantly over the past year. I used to blind buy a lot and buy pretty much anything I enjoyed in the theater. I've pretty much quit blind buying anything, and I just really focus on the ones I want the most. I also did a purge of my collection a few months ago. There's no point in having movies that I'll never watch again take up shelf space.

I keep a lot of my screeners just in case I want to rewatch or lend them. But lost of them are removed from their covers and placed into sleeves in lever-arch files, alphabetically. Takes up much less space.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I haven't been buying them lately cause I have nothing to play them on, but once I get back on my feet and in a living situation that could be considered normal I plan on building my collection. I just love physical media too much.

For instance, having a Kindle is great and has opened me up to reading a lot of content, more than I would have if physical books were the only option. At the same time though, I love being able to go back thru books I've read and find passages I liked and also share them with people.

Digital media will never be able to replicate the magic of lending or giving someone a book/dvd that means a lot to you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Digital media will never be able to replicate the magic of lending or giving someone a book/dvd that means a lot to you.

What about the magic of them forgetting to return it and moving away?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

What about the magic of them forgetting to return it and moving away?

Though this happens more often than not, it's one of those things you sign up for as a possibility. Like when you fall in love, you have to accept the possibility of losing that person and being heartbroken.

But it is a really beautiful thing when they read/watch it and return it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i only just started buying blu rays like six months ago. my internet's not great so i prefer them to streaming. plus Scream Factory is really dope.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, I still buy blu-rays but only usually around Black Friday time because they're like $5. I spend on most Criterion sales also because the supplements you get from them are insane, and I refuse to pay for Hulu.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah i tend to not spend more than $10 on them unless it's something i really want. i should also mention that i still get most of the blu rays i watch through the library, such as the copy of Seven Samurai i'm watching right now (looks good on blu)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My library only lends out DVDs, but it seems like they have every Criterion film, so it could be worse.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My library only lends out DVDs, but it seems like they have every Criterion film, so it could be worse.

mine hopped on the blu ray train a year or two ago, but it's worth noting that it's a particularly well funded library. very lucky.

is your library part of a greater library network? that's always a good way to scope stuff out. my library gets a pretty good selection of blu rays, but there are some in our network that have great selections (one in particular gets every criterion blu ray as soon as it comes out)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm still on DVD. Fire fire fire fire fire

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Anonymous Robot posted:

The big advantage to DVD is that everything is dirt cheap, especially if you go to second hand stores.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Same. Don't you people dare tell me Bluerays are on the way out, they can only be on the way out two years after I bought a Blueray player.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Watching High and Low and seeing every pore dripping every drop of sweat on every actor in the police scene is worth the price of the blu-ray player and the blu itself.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

now i have this stuck in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_kmrQhTsfM

anyway, dvd is still relevant

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

GonSmithe posted:

Watching High and Low and seeing every pore dripping every drop of sweat on every actor in the police scene is worth the price of the blu-ray player and the blu itself.

As awful as the special editions of Star Wars are, it was kinda neat to see Return of the Jedi in insanely crisp detail.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

now i have this stuck in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_kmrQhTsfM

anyway, dvd is still relevant

Funny, I've been listening to Burn, Piano Island, Burn a lot lately.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the Blood Brothers were pretty alright as far as bands bent on being deliberately irritating go

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

I Before E posted:

So a philadelphian

Live in Philly, can confirm.

I saw M. Night Shyamalan while I was riding down the street on my bike. He's filming a few blocks away from my girlfriend's house.

Unfortunately, since PA doesn't have a budget to give tax incentives to film studios, that and Creed look like it will be it for Philly filming for a while. :(

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the Blood Brothers were pretty alright as far as bands bent on being deliberately irritating go

I preferred them much more than the Locust, who somehow managed to be more irritating and pretentious than the Blood Bros.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I blind bought Les Miserables (2012) and it's the first movie in a long time that I found just unwatchable.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Yaws posted:

I blind bought Les Miserables (2012) and it's the first movie in a long time that I found just unwatchable.

A Tom Hooper Film

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yaws posted:

You mean you don't like the camera literally always being in someone's face and NOTHING else? But you get to see all of the emotions of the actor's performance unlike a play!!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I preferred them much more than the Locust, who somehow managed to be more irritating and pretentious than the Blood Bros.

the Locust did not hold up well at all

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My anti-social college dormmate eventually noticed that I left the room whenever he played Blood Brothers, and definitely took advantage

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

My anti-social college dormmate eventually noticed that I left the room whenever he played Blood Brothers, and definitely took advantage

i've definitely pulled poo poo like this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I dunno man, this kind of street wisdom could keep you from dying in some ghetto.

That's not how grenades work at all.

Josh Lyman posted:

I do because digital media is for trash and I like to actually own something if I spend money on it. Also if I want to let someone borrow a movie or bring it to their house it's a whole lot easier to hand them a disc than gently caress around with digital downloads.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I do because digital media is for trash

as opposed to physical media, which is trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

as opposed to physical media, which is trash

You're trash.

• Locked thread