Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

37th Chamber posted:

If they're not paying for a dry-loop the port has just fallen back to its un-provisioned speed (usually 3Mbps). If they're CO-fed that speed could stay there forever, if its remote fed it could die at any minute if they need a port. Only way to fix it is start paying for a dry-loop, or resume getting traditional phone service and get another DSL 'install' (either of which will cost your parents $50 installation).

Thanks. The 3Mbps makes sense.
I'm not too concerned about the DSL service right now because I plan on setting them up with cable internet soon. My concern was if there would be any issue with getting cable internet with a company other than Rogers. I don't know if the Rogers home phone installation would screw up anything for when I order the cable internet. I'm not too familiar with wiring or the backend of things. Wanted to check and minimize any potential problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'm cheating. I have a box serving up Linux distros, but I pay for it so why the hell not?

I used to think I was a big user pulling 14-16 GB per month on my wireless plan...

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Antifreeze Head posted:

I used to think I was a big user pulling 14-16 GB per month on my wireless plan...

I have a 150MB (yes, that's megabytes) cap on my wireless plan (phone) and i never go over. On the internet at home ... yes, 400GB+ every month. Why wouldn't I? I just bought 4 more 4TB hdd's, gotta fill them up with something.

savagehenry
Jul 20, 2006

unvoiced linguolabial trill

Bieeardo posted:

Jesus Christ, I never thought I'd say it, but I think I need to call Bell and see if they can run DSL to this decrepit shack. I've had week-long periods of near-total service outage since September, thanks to unexplained noise on the lines here in London, and I think it's actually managed to get worse. I feel like the loving Nineties are repeating on me.

I've had the exact same thing happen at exactly 7:15pm out here in Cambridge every day for the past eighteen days. It lasts until about 7am, and it's practically unusable. Rogers has no idea what the gently caress is causing it, either.

Hello, Bell :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Volguus posted:

I have a 150MB (yes, that's megabytes) cap on my wireless plan (phone) and i never go over. On the internet at home ... yes, 400GB+ every month. Why wouldn't I? I just bought 4 more 4TB hdd's, gotta fill them up with something.

If I didn't use my phone for work, I doubt I'd go over ever with 100MB either. But for work, emails, attachments with said emails and sending photos back and forth takes me up to around the 500mb/month figure but I've not gone over my 600mb (or whatever) cap, luckilly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have 6gb and have never used more than 750mb or so.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
bkhjbhhkjm

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 16, 2017

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

CRTC starts baring it's teeth. Executes it's first ever warrant on a call centre.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/11/27/crtc-executes-first-ever-warrant-on-brampton-telemarketer.html posted:

Sunny Freeman Business Reporter, Published on Fri Nov 27 2015

Canada’s telecom regulator has executed its first-ever warrant as part of an investigation into a Brampton telemarketing scheme.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission alleges the company is making unauthorized calls to sell anti-virus software to Canadians who have registered for the National Do Not Call List.

The CRTC worked with the Peel Regional Police to enter and inspect the building on Tuesday after being granted the warrant by an Ontario Justice of the Peace.

It was the first time the CRTC executed an inspection warrant.

“We are committed to protecting Canadians from unsolicited telecommunications and ensuring that telemarketers comply with the applicable rules,” said Manon Bombardier, CRTC chief compliance and enforcement officer, in a media release.

“We will not hesitate to use all the tools at our disposal, including executing inspection warrants, in carrying out investigations of suspected violations and to enforce the rules.”

The regulator can also issue warning letters, citations and notices of violation, as well as administer financial penalties to individuals and companies found to be breaking the rules.

The CRTC did not comment further on the investigation nor disclose the name of the company, but said it would publicize the results of the investigation if it issues a settlement, citation or notice of violation.

The regulator has been cracking down on telemarketers who flout do not call rules enacted in 2008 and has fined a number of companies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Wake me when they do to the cartel what happened to the chocolate companies a few years ago. :effort:

Rogers delenda est

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mister Macys posted:

Wake me when they do to the cartel what happened to the chocolate companies a few years ago. :effort:

You mean file splashy charges that the Crown prosecutors quietly drop with no explanation two years later?

edit: that came off snarkier than intended: I was kind of surprised to find out that had come to nothing but I guess the evidence the Competition Bureau referred (even with a few of the companies copping pleas or going narc) wasn't as strong as they thought? Dropping the legal hammer isn't generally as easy as it looks.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 27, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:argh:

Oh, so business as usual again. Thanks Harper.

Fire everybody and start over.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 27, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Skandranon posted:

God damnit Rogers, I don't want your stupid bundled crap.

I'm waffling. Even with the old better choice discount going away, their middle-tier Ontario bundle is about $20 less than I'm currently spending for the same stuff, but with more channels I won't watch, unlimited Canadawide LD we'd actually use and an unlimited bandwidth cap that would come in really handy.

The sticker is that it's only a two-year term, and the price is only guaranteed "during that term". So in two years and a day you know they're going to jack it up to whatever price they feel like. Rogers is normally really good about respecting grandfathered plans and they've never raised my rate or reduced the service value on me (my internet plan's been upgraded four times for nothing), so giving them explicit permission to do that has me worried.

Also their cable rates don't cover the PVR rentals but hell if I'm buying one of those things outright, the way they seem to drop dead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Got a call from a friendly fellow from Telus tonight, since we've been going over the data cap by 50-100GB a month they drop the price of unlimited to $15 from $30 (I don't have Optik).

Sucks having to pay more for unlimited now but it's a pretty hassle free option overall.

Related, anyone ever have luck calling up and asking for a lower rate? I saw some globe and mail news article about that. Not just a lower rate for 6 months either..

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, supposedly Netflix is going to start enforcing regions and block VPNs.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/tech-news/netflix-to-block-proxy-access-to-content-not-available-locally/article28181637/

While I suspect there will be some ways to get around it, it will probably be enough to stop the casual users and Grandma/Grandpa.

Long term goal of Netflix appears to be global licensing, so that would be nice if & when that happens.

I'll still keep it and probably won't try to bypass it unless it's trivial. Canadian Netflix has actually gotten semi decent in the past several months but still a ways from the US.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

slidebite posted:

Well, supposedly Netflix is going to start enforcing regions and block VPNs.

Welp, that's annoying. Hopefully not too difficult to circumvent.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
If they lock to your billing it would be difficult to ever circumvent unless you start getting payment methods in other countries.

It will be months/years of the cat/mouse game, at some point its just easier to get it else where, :filez: or otherwise.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have an unblock-us subscription but to be honest I haven't switched countries in a while, most of what I've wanted to watch of late was on the Canadian Netflix.

I find it's better for movies while the US netflix is better for tv series, with occasional outlier pther countries (NZ/Scandinavia) for really recent release movies.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sort of similar here. There has been times where I haven't updated my IP and only noticed it when a few shows we normally watch aren't available for streaming. The shows have really improved and I like how they've been increasing the TV series and documentaries, we probably watch those more than movies now.

There are some shows we like only on the US side, like some food network shows and a few series which we don't get here, but to be honest we've probably already watched most of the ones that interest us. I suspect I'll just cancel my adfreetime account if and when this is implemented.

I really like the idea of them pushing for global rights and I think that's where it is naturally going to flow to eventually. It will be interesting how the regional upstarts like Crave and Shomi will try to muscle the networks with broadcasting (probably go crying the the CRTC).

I think it could be a really interesting scenarios where you're going to get Global divisions like Sony Canada and the revenue streams being changed even more drastically.

37th Chamber posted:

If they lock to your billing it would be difficult to ever circumvent unless you start getting payment methods in other countries.

It will be months/years of the cat/mouse game, at some point its just easier to get it else where, :filez: or otherwise.
It is a catch 22 for the studios. At least they are getting paid something when Netflix pays for it and a user streams it with a VPN if it stops them from :filez: - I would think that is a far preferable course of events for them but :shrug:

Looking at it that way, It could almost be a renaissance of torrenting TV programs for those that never would have before.

Buy stock in Private Internet Access :lol:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Global licensing will never work for TV shows.

Movies are simpler; many studios already do their own worldwide distribution.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Oh man I've had a great thing going with Unblock-us for years now, I guess it was bound to come to an end eventually.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Tunlr for the past year while it was in beta (and before then as well before they shut down). Since they work via DNS, I'm hoping they'll still work (especially since I just signed up for a year with them).

I'm also waiting for them to support Amazon video.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm assuming they will do do some geo-ip lookup poo poo with the actual streams to lock people out. I have a US Netflix account with a US billing address but I suspect it won't be that easy. I also have Tomato redirect all DNS requests through adblockfree but again I doubt the workaround will be that simple.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speculation is they'll restrict to your billing address country.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Speculation is they'll restrict to your billing address country.

I sent David Fullagar a polite rant about it yesterday and was surprised when he (or a secretary) responded.

quote:

Thanks for the email. I understand your frustration. When you travel to Canada from the US (or travel to other parts of the world) you'll see some titles that you are familiar with, some titles that wont be available, but also some additional titles that we aren't able to offer domestically. We realize this is confusing, and we are working to change this, as I discussed briefly in the blog post. We try to make the content available in each country be better and better, so I hope you'll be able to see that as you use the service in the future.

Cheers,

-David.

Sounds like geo-IP to me if it changes depending on your location constantly but I guess we'll see what happens. I hope its billing address based because I'm already all set for that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh I'm sure the geo IP will be part of it.

Even under a billing address restricted setup, the most likely way it would work is that you'd only be able to see content available in both your home country and current country, plus probably stuff in a "Available in all countries except..." model, accounting for that 'that we aren't able to offer domestically' mentioned in the email.

They can't simply show you your home country's content wherever you are, because that would violate their licensing.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I never used these services, but I thought the whole point of them was to make it look like your requests were coming from a US IP address, which would only make sense if Netflix already used geo-IP.

I'd have thought it meant they would be blacklisting IPs belonging to known proxies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zergstain posted:

I never used these services, but I thought the whole point of them was to make it look like your requests were coming from a US IP address, which would only make sense if Netflix already used geo-IP.

I'd have thought it meant they would be blacklisting IPs belonging to known proxies.

The way the DNS ones work is that they handshake for you, but then hand off and the video stream is actually direct to Netflix. Netflix does not currently re-check during the stream.

They already do the latter.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think it works like the CDN node model, they're just using geographical DNS to serve up the content instead of actually checking the incoming IP address. The DNS redirectors just say you're coming from a US location so you get a US content server/stream.

I would imagine that they will actually lock out the US catalog from any incoming IP that isn't from the US which will mean VPNs will be required instead of just DNS redirection. Since a lot of people already use VPNs anyway the speculation is that there will be some sort of secondary ruleset like blacklisting proxies or the billing address thing to prevent it.

Anyways I guess we'll see what happens. Worst case scenario I will just go back to other methods to get geo locked content, Netflix was just easier and a salve on my conscience.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's easy enough to just get a US Visa gift card or something when you're in the States anyway, unless you're some crazy person who doesn't live in southern Quebec, Ontario or BC. But at this point I can't drop Netflix Canada anyway, mainly because it has The 100. I catch the CW, but not in HD.

In similar news, CraveTV went live for everyone last night I guess. Free trial. I guess I'll check it out, they do have the Sarah Connor Chronicles which I hear is good and not on any other service.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Aphrodite posted:

In similar news, CraveTV went live for everyone last night I guess.

Using CraveTV or Showmi is kinda like buying blood diamonds. Probably better off with more ethical alternatives to supporting the cartel like :filez: or shady streaming sites.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

:shrug: I get Shomi for free and it's a good source of iZombie episodes and things I missed that week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

:shrug: I get Shomi for free and it's a good source of iZombie episodes and things I missed that week.

Yeah, I need Shomi for iZombie. See: CW, Netflix, HD.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I have no idea if I have Shomi or not. I think Rogers gave me a free trial for it but it was a time limited thing? Last time I checked plans they all offered 1 month of Shomi. Oh boy! I don't really get why it isn't just something you get with your internet, seeing as they have exclusivity they can use it as a selling point to get people to go with them over Bell or other providers. Oh right, they don't actually need to compete.

Pretty upset about the netflix situation because it's reminded me how dumb broadcast rights are in the face of the internet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rogers offers it with mobile instead of TV or internet for some reason.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Aphrodite posted:

Rogers offers it with mobile instead of TV or internet for some reason.

That's weird, because I have it for free and I haven't been a Rogers Mobile customer in years (but I'm with them for both Internet and TV so I'm not sure which it came with, and I moved to a new bundle in December so I wouldn't think I'm grandfathered).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Rogers was offering it free with the Ignite packages for a while. They changed the promotion last month and no longer offer NHL Game Center or Shomi with new sign ups AFAIK.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Buy stock in Private Internet Access :lol:

Depending how aggressive they are with this "war" on region shifting, organized services like this could die off pretty fast. It's not hard for Netflix to just buy a couple subscriptions and start blocking the IP ranges they land on. Some services even go as far as blocking dedicated servers/VPS services claiming they're all proxies.

And for the record, they can detect DNS services as well as VPNs, I contacted their support once and they mentioned seeing me bounce around the world, so both services will probably be hit.

vvv Oh, durr, yeah that makes sense. :downs:

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 15, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

37th Chamber posted:

Depending how aggressive they are with this "war" on region shifting, organized services like this could die off pretty fast. It's not hard for Netflix to just buy a couple subscriptions and start blocking the IP ranges they land on. Some services even go as far as blocking dedicated servers/VPS services claiming they're all proxies.

And for the record, they can detect DNS services as well as VPNs, I contacted their support once and they mentioned seeing me bounce around the world, so both services will probably be hit.

I think slidebite was meaning "Buy stock in Private Internet Access because people are going to switch back to torrenting now that they can't use Netflix like they used to"

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Rogers was offering it free with the Ignite packages for a while. They changed the promotion last month and no longer offer NHL Game Center or Shomi with new sign ups AFAIK.

Taking a look at their site, they still offer GameCentre and Shomi (and sometimes Centre Ice) with most of their TV+Internet bundles so that's probably how I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Skandranon posted:

I think slidebite was meaning "Buy stock in Private Internet Access because people are going to switch back to torrenting now that they can't use Netflix like they used to"
Yeah, that's it. Speaking of PIA, did anything ever happen with that scuzzy law outfit that was flooding Canadian ISPs with notice of copyright infringement for porn downloads and would then extort people into paying never ending "fees" for the download? What was that CGTEK or something like that? It must be well over the 6 month limit that ISPs had to preserve that data for court filings I would think?