Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's also really dumb to make it take ten int when in NV and FO3 it only took five. So even if you do want to take it, now it's a huge investment for a minor situational gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Alteisen posted:

Regular armor in Fallout 4 is hilariously underpowered, the game feels like its really built around the power armor.

Really? I haven't used the power armour since the very first mission you get it and i'm 40 hours in and doing fine.

Just find the power armour UI ugly so i can't be bothered with it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I hardly ever use the power armor (it took me forever to find new fusion cores and I got so used to not having it that I still hardly ever use it now that I have plenty) and really only suit up for dramatic purposes because I like seeing my guy in a heavy suit of power armor with the Minutemen logo stamped on the chest stomp up to some farmer and go "You called for the Minutemen?," and I haven't had any real issues. I do die a good bit more than I did in 3/NV, but I feel like that has a lot more to do with the fact that there's more to combat now than a bunch of people standing there statically and blasting each other until the one with the higher numbers wins.

Granted, I do still have that bug that makes it impossible to die which may be loving with my perception of the game's difficulty, but I still get feedback when my character would have died, pre-bug, so.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I find I can do even better in combat with conventional armor, because it all has legendary modifiers on it and power armor has none (Survival drowns you in legendaries, I love it)

I can fire twice as fast, move more, tweak stats on a whim, and get neato perks that (afaict) power armor only gets through quests extremely rarely. Armor does let me carry a lot more and the jetpack is :krad: so it's a balancing act

I just wish you could hunt/craft legendary modifiers, even if doing so was inordinately expensive. Especially if you could stack a few. Instigator minigun is garbage, but instigator sniper rifles/fats man? :getin:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thing dragging down Fallout 4: Not enough enemies carry grenades on their belt :argh:

Everytime I shoot one on their hip, or even better, in their hand as they're about to throw it at me I laugh and laugh.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Evilreaver posted:

I find I can do even better in combat with conventional armor, because it all has legendary modifiers on it and power armor has none (Survival drowns you in legendaries, I love it)

I can fire twice as fast, move more, tweak stats on a whim, and get neato perks that (afaict) power armor only gets through quests extremely rarely. Armor does let me carry a lot more and the jetpack is :krad: so it's a balancing act

I just wish you could hunt/craft legendary modifiers, even if doing so was inordinately expensive. Especially if you could stack a few. Instigator minigun is garbage, but instigator sniper rifles/fats man? :getin:

Doesn't it stack? You're still wearing the legendary stuff under the power armour, I'm pretty sure I've had time slow down when I was at low health from my conventional armour under my power armour.

Minor thing dragging down FO4 for me is that even on survival, I'm finding stacks of pretty lovely legendaries. A rolling pin that does 10 poison damage? A leather right arm with +1 PER? Woo-hoo.

I'm getting decent stuff occasionally, but I'd really like to stop getting complete crap all the time.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ro5s posted:

A rolling pin that does 10 poison damage?

This better have a bunch of radscorpion tails taped to it.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I hate that the top Intelligence one is Nerd Rage. That's the least Intelligence-ish Intelligence perk there is, and it's actually not very useful at all for a character with that focus.

ummm, its an iconic staple of the series??

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I hate that the top Intelligence one is Nerd Rage. That's the least Intelligence-ish Intelligence perk there is, and it's actually not very useful at all for a character with that focus.

It is useful for literally any build focus in the game and is probably the most abuseable perk in the game if you purposely rad yourself so it's always active.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've seen people say that they're one shotting everyone by level 30 and I'm not really seeing it. I'm level 32 with three points in automatic weapons and two points in explosives, and enemies that spawn around my level or above can be downright bullet spongy, using automatic weapons modded for as much damage as I can give them with gun nut and science. I've run into a couple assaultrons and people in power armor who can survive multiple missiles from the missile launcher.

At the same time I haven't felt like I needed to use power armor. Maybe this changes on higher difficulties but on hard I've been able to manage with legendary leather armor, and more recently the minuteman general's uniform. I don't like how little you can see in power armor and how you always have to get out of it to interact with things. Also in any game with a face editor it's nice to be able to see your face

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've seen people say that they're one shotting everyone by level 30 and I'm not really seeing it. I'm level 32 with three points in automatic weapons and two points in explosives, and enemies that spawn around my level or above can be downright bullet spongy, using automatic weapons modded for as much damage as I can give them with gun nut and science. I've run into a couple assaultrons and people in power armor who can survive multiple missiles from the missile launcher.

At the same time I haven't felt like I needed to use power armor. Maybe this changes on higher difficulties but on hard I've been able to manage with legendary leather armor, and more recently the minuteman general's uniform. I don't like how little you can see in power armor and how you always have to get out of it to interact with things. Also in any game with a face editor it's nice to be able to see your face

It depends on what enemies you're fighting, like if you go back near the beginning areas those raiders can be one shotted but those loving gunners all the way south in Quincy murdered me at level 30.

I've never used the power armor either, and I got the fast travel while overburdened perk so I don't need the carry weight.

Dragging game down: the stupid settlement quests. "If you do [ x ] we'll join the minute men!" Except they're already part of minute men because I already did lame, useless quest for them! If I don't do the quest the game sends me threatening messages that I'm running out of time. And the wife from Nordhagen beach has been kidnapped twice now, come on.

Oh yeah and if the settler that gives the quest is one you've assigned as a supply line, good luck tracking him down.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Nov 25, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I've seen people say that they're one shotting everyone by level 30 and I'm not really seeing it.

Headshots with a weapon that has 150+ damage + 2x sneak usually does it for me. Depends on the target though, as Mirelurks won't go down in one shot, nor do Synths. Most humans, muties, or animals usually go down easy.

Also, don't bother with Luck 10's Reflect Bullets Perk. I've had it maxed as early as possible, and with a total gameplay time over 70 hours I've only had it activate... 11 times.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I've seen people say that they're one shotting everyone by level 30 and I'm not really seeing it

The only damage boosting perk I've taken is bloody mess and I just stealth snipe everything and usually kill it in one to three shots, five if I can't get a headshot. The exception tends to be the harder mirelurks in which case, just shoot their legs and laugh as they sit there and can't do poo poo.

EDIT: So I got into the Blade and Soul beta, a korean MMO that plays a lot like Tera or Guild Wars 2. It's not bad but has one massive glaring oversight. You can't customize your skill keys. One class has a counter skill you'll be spamming a lot because it lets you counter physical attacks. It's bound to the 1 key and the only way to change what it uses is to remap the entire 1 key to something else, which affects all of your characters not just the one you're using.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Nov 25, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The reflect perk may not be practical but it is really funny when it activates. Honestly I don't bother with automatic weapons at all since automatic receivers tank the damage so much and on my first run I had trouble keeping my ammo stocked even with semi autos. Honestly getting Rifleman and using the combat shotgun with narrow spread at short range or the combat rifle in semi will just wreck poo poo, bonus points if you can get bleed on the shotgun and pretty much anything that boosts damage on the rifle.

Also from what I'm told legendary power armor does exist, haven't seen it myself though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've found 3 different pieces of legendary power armor so far.

A helm from one of the BoS quest lines (I think, I've had it in storage since forever)
A chestplate from a"Polymetric factory something" place.
An arm from an Unique Gunner in a town South-South West from the Castle.

Doesn't seem to drop randomly, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a whole set out there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The problem with legendary power armor pieces (or randomly spawned modified power armor pieces, which I'm pretty sure don't exist) is that enemies that would carry them are exceptionally rare anyway. I think I've fought three enemies with power armor, total, so far.

And one more big thing that's really hindering my enjoyment of Fallout 4 in a huge way: the lack of any non-Charisma skill checks, whatsoever. I'm playing an Intelligence-heavy character, that back in Fallout 3 and New Vegas was great for getting checks to solve problems in interesting ways. There wasn't always a way to bring Science or Medicine into a quest, and that's okay, but there were so many chances to cut corners or open new avenues if your character happened to know how to repair a radar dish or something. All of that is completely gone in 4, no matter what I'm doing, and it disappoints me every time the game makes it clear. I've managed to do one quest in a way that didn't involve me shooting everybody, and that was a quest where I worked alongside a character with better armor and weapons than me so I had no reason not to let him do it instead. Honestly, I have no idea why he even needed me along for that one.

The most painful example I've encountered is (I'm gonna spoil this, but it's just a random area near the starting parts of the game, it's not big) a shopping center staffed entirely by malfunctioning Mr. Handy robots. In literally any other Fallout game this would be an Int character's playground, finding fun and hilarious ways to run programming loops around stupid robots, hacking security systems and everything. But there's none, aside from generically hacking the robots to kill each other or explode; even then they're generally too far apart to easily mess with each other. There isn't even a single computer terminal anywhere in the area... but there are a few Charisma checks! The real culmination is when you meet the Director of the place, a similarly brokeass Mr. Gutsy, in such an environment where you can't even hack him. A full-out computer genius character can do basically nothing with him, and depending on the rest of their build may even be at a big disadvantage.... but you can pick from three different Charisma checks to deal with him.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:30 on Nov 25, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Do the USS Constitution mission if you want to see Int checks!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I played through the game, ending up at level 55, dn I didn't even realize there were non-charisma skill checks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't really know if this counts or not. I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles and I'm getting held up by the amount of sidequests. I know I should move on and leave the starting area. But there's more quests to do. I'm level 18 and just beat the arachnid boss. There's too many sidequests in this thing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Resident Evil 4: The quick time events in Professional difficulty seem really unforgiving. My thumb just isn't cut out for it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ro5s posted:

Doesn't it stack? You're still wearing the legendary stuff under the power armour, I'm pretty sure I've had time slow down when I was at low health from my conventional armour under my power armour.

Minor thing dragging down FO4 for me is that even on survival, I'm finding stacks of pretty lovely legendaries. A rolling pin that does 10 poison damage? A leather right arm with +1 PER? Woo-hoo.

I'm getting decent stuff occasionally, but I'd really like to stop getting complete crap all the time.

Some stack. Time Slow does. -10% AP costs does not, +Charisma does not (probably no +stat does), and those are really the only ones I've tested for sure.

I imagine you get poo poo legendaries no matter what, survival just gives you a shitload of lottery tickets so you eventually win by weight of probability. Instigating Gauss on my rifleman? Yesssssss

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Len posted:

I don't really know if this counts or not. I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles and I'm getting held up by the amount of sidequests. I know I should move on and leave the starting area. But there's more quests to do. I'm level 18 and just beat the arachnid boss. There's too many sidequests in this thing.

Move on, don't get too bogged down my sidequests or you'll end up burning out on the game.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

StandardVC10 posted:

Resident Evil 4: The quick time events in Professional difficulty seem really unforgiving. My thumb just isn't cut out for it.

On the GameCube at least, you could just push A+B+R+L and it would work for every event.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr Christmas posted:

On the GameCube at least, you could just push A+B+R+L and it would work for every event.

I might be misremembering or getting it confused with a different game, but if you're playing on PC, running the game at 60 FPS makes the QTEs harder.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm playing on PS3. The quicktime events gave me a lot less trouble on normal difficulty, though, it feels like. (And if that's the case, what a perverse way of making the game harder.)

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

I might be misremembering or getting it confused with a different game, but if you're playing on PC, running the game at 60 FPS makes the QTEs harder.

Is that why the single button mash prompts were so hard for me? There's one after a cart ride that was just cruel.

But yeah, for the dodge prompts on the PC version as well you can just hit both dodge combinations at once and it will work.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Hey Fallout 4, you're pretty cool, but your conversations with the Institute are trash. Hey, you're my son. Instead of this vague "we want to fix the Commonwealth" crap, let me ask the most goddam simple of follow-up questions: HOW? HOW DO YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE THAT GOAL? The fact that you want to jack up your electricity producin' efforts isn't loving good enough on its own to make me burn bridges with the other factions. At least the Brotherhood isn't scared to say its goal is to wipe out every nonhuman in sight; the motivations and goals are clear. I just don't know what the hell the Institute wants aside from blind obedience, which only takes you so far. At least let me ask why you want me to be such a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Nov 27, 2015

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
FO4 speech checks. It is so unrealistic. For example something like this

Guy: *angry or upset tone of voice* I'm really going to do x! [ long, determined speech as to why ] and there is absolutely nothing you could say to convince me.
Me: you shouldn't do x
Guy:*happy tone of voice* Wow you're right. I won't do x. Thank you!

There should be a long argument with multiple speech checks. Someone shouldn't do a complete 180 after me saying one thing. There's only 1 conversation I can think of that isn't like ^ that and its when you're flirting with some character. Pretty much all the rest are like ^ that.

The one just did was this:

When Danse finds out he's a synth. He is so adamant about being killed. There's a long conversation with him about it. Then the speech check comes up, and I say "you're my friend." And he's like "wow I never though of it that way, ok don't kill me." What? He spent so long hating technology and just gave me a huge speech as to why he should die, and one sentence convinces him? Realistically, because he so strongly believes in dying, he would contemplate it for some time (like there would be a period of silence), or further argue, but nope, he just immediately changes his mind completely.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Yeah I just replayed Fallout New Vegas and I can think of maybe two times where there were escalating speech checks to change people's minds and most speech checks just gave me an opportunity for one extra line of dialog and some xp. The ones that mattered just 100% about faced people for no real reason.

One time I wanted a speech/intelligence check and it just wouldn't give me one. When the guy stops you and says "uhhhh, hey, what's going on, you like gum? Aw gently caress it, I'm stalking you because you have blue star bottle caps and I'm going to tell you all about them and then leave for ~no loving reason~" Anyone could have written a better dialog tree than that. Give me literally any chance at all at seeing through some entry level deception, and have him carry a diary that explains the details if I am some 4 int Mongo and had to thump him to sleep because him words make head hurt.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Been playing Skate 3 on the 360 for about a week now, I knew it was old but apparently EA discontinued loads of poo poo like custom graphics and design stuff which sucks balls, also apparently none of the online stuff works at all, it's a graveyard.
But the thing that bothers me the most is... the game's not fun, I can't get used to these loving stupid arse controls and there's not even fun exploration to distract me, it's just boring poo poo.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I don't remember the multiplayer stuff ever working or being good I just had fun making dumb videos of my fat idiot diaper wearing character spinning windmills off cliffs into old ladies and shelved it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

Hey Fallout 4, you're pretty cool, but your conversations with the Institute are trash. Hey, you're my son. Instead of this vague "we want to fix the Commonwealth" crap, let me ask the most goddam simple of follow-up questions: HOW? HOW DO YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE THAT GOAL? The fact that you want to jack up your electricity producin' efforts isn't loving good enough on its own to make me burn bridges with the other factions. At least the Brotherhood isn't scared to say its goal is to wipe out every nonhuman in sight; the motivations and goals are clear. I just don't know what the hell the Institute wants aside from blind obedience, which only takes you so far. At least let me ask why you want me to be such a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

I think that's kind of the point. The Institute talks a big game about how they're the hope of humanity but really all they want to do is tinker with killer robots and killer robot gorillas in their nerdcave, and their only real interactions with the outside world are to steal killer robot gorilla parts.

Thin Privilege posted:

There should be a long argument with multiple speech checks. Someone shouldn't do a complete 180 after me saying one thing. There's only 1 conversation I can think of that isn't like ^ that and its when you're flirting with some character. Pretty much all the rest are like ^ that.

On the one hand yeah that would make more sense but in practice it kinda sucks the few times they do do it. When you pass the check you think "yay I actually had enough charisma for that one" only to immediately face another, harder check. The dialog system is just bad in general.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Nov 27, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skill checks in dialogue are good, but they really ought to be more than just “see the option with a skill highlighted next to it/the longest and most elaborate option, click it, win”. Pretty much every RPG with skill checks falls for that pitfall to a lesser or greater extent, though. It’s a hard one to get around without feeling like a cheap “gotcha” moment – haha, you thought you’d get a good resolution by picking the skill check dialogue, but you didn’t!! Sucker!!! I remember Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Bloodlines doing it pretty well but I can’t remember specifics.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Skill checks in dialogue are good, but they really ought to be more than just “see the option with a skill highlighted next to it/the longest and most elaborate option, click it, win”. Pretty much every RPG with skill checks falls for that pitfall to a lesser or greater extent, though. It’s a hard one to get around without feeling like a cheap “gotcha” moment – haha, you thought you’d get a good resolution by picking the skill check dialogue, but you didn’t!! Sucker!!! I remember Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Bloodlines doing it pretty well but I can’t remember specifics.

Dead Money for New Vegas was really bad about the latter, there's one character who will irreparably turn against you if pass even a single speech check in your first conversation. The rationale is that the character is very smug and domineering so being smarter than him will make him angry but it's a huge leap of logic, especially when your first time talking to him you would have no way of knowing this about him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's just the Barter check, all other skill checks are safe. It is annoying though, because the overtly antagonistic bit which makes him hate you isn't shown in the initial skill checl.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I know I'm a bit late on the draw on this, but I've been playing MGS5 slowly but surely, and I have to ask: Did loving NO ONE on the dev team stop to think that maybe a more convenient checkpoint or save system would've been a good idea?

In particular, I'm thinking of that mission in Afghanistan where you're supposed to destroy a number of vehicles in 15 minutes. Just as I got the last one, I ended up dying during the "get the hell out" part of most missions.

I got sent all the way back to the very loving start of the mission. :suicide:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Regalingualius posted:

I know I'm a bit late on the draw on this, but I've been playing MGS5 slowly but surely, and I have to ask: Did loving NO ONE on the dev team stop to think that maybe a more convenient checkpoint or save system would've been a good idea?

In particular, I'm thinking of that mission in Afghanistan where you're supposed to destroy a number of vehicles in 15 minutes. Just as I got the last one, I ended up dying during the "get the hell out" part of most missions.

Back Up, Back Down can break a man.

I was told you can S rank the mission by taking out 1 vehicle and timing put with the Phantom cigar.

If you wanna 100% the main objective, you're gonna need to learn a route and do it almost flawlessly.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Regalingualius posted:

That's exactly the complaint I made but everyone bitched at me, haven't played mgs5 in ages cause it sucks, what the hell where they doing in those 5 years of development?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Dead Money for New Vegas was really bad about the latter, there's one character who will irreparably turn against you if pass even a single speech check in your first conversation. The rationale is that the character is very smug and domineering so being smarter than him will make him angry but it's a huge leap of logic, especially when your first time talking to him you would have no way of knowing this about him.

Haha I was literally thinking of Dean Domino yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That's exactly the complaint I made but everyone bitched at me, haven't played mgs5 in ages cause it sucks, what the hell where they doing in those 5 years of development?

Animating Quiet's shower scenes.