Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

do it on a sunday when i don't work thank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Trying out the new Egyptian campaign in the Israeli Theater. Its much harder than the cake walk Lebanon theater. Egypt uses F-16s so you can't trust the RWR for every threat. They also have Patriots. They're not visible on the map at the start of the campaign, and they don't become apparent for quite some time but you'll know they're there when... explodes with no warning. The only Israeli F-16s with AMRAAMs are the fat fuckers, while the Egyptians have AIM-7s and some AIM-120s. Israeli SEAD/DEAD involves not buying ARMS from anyone and just doing balls out low level popup attacks. You don't have Mavericks either, just lots of GBUs and a variety of glide bombs. Seems the IAF's tactic for dealing with most threats is to get in close and knife them.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Currently working on a new mission for DCS World where you race to save an Su-24 from being shot down by F-16s :v:

Thinking I'll add in both the Flanker and Fulcrum. On second thought, I guess I should make it playable as either side where you can also race to shoot down the Su-24 as an F-15 and as a soldier so you can shoot the pilots as they parachute to safety.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Sauer posted:

Trying out the new Egyptian campaign in the Israeli Theater. Its much harder than the cake walk Lebanon theater. Egypt uses F-16s so you can't trust the RWR for every threat. They also have Patriots. They're not visible on the map at the start of the campaign, and they don't become apparent for quite some time but you'll know they're there when... explodes with no warning. The only Israeli F-16s with AMRAAMs are the fat fuckers, while the Egyptians have AIM-7s and some AIM-120s. Israeli SEAD/DEAD involves not buying ARMS from anyone and just doing balls out low level popup attacks. You don't have Mavericks either, just lots of GBUs and a variety of glide bombs. Seems the IAF's tactic for dealing with most threats is to get in close and knife them.

There is a carrier with F/A-18's on it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Slim Mat posted:

Currently working on a new mission for DCS World where you race to save an Su-24 from being shot down by F-16s :v:

Thinking I'll add in both the Flanker and Fulcrum. On second thought, I guess I should make it playable as either side where you can also race to shoot down the Su-24 as an F-15 and as a soldier so you can shoot the pilots as they parachute to safety.

I want to play the TOW squad shooting down Mi-8's.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
So uh... :stare:

Stanislaw (the guy who made OpenTrack), has written a WINE fork that implements a software D3D9 renderer for Falcon 4 BMS. It essentially renders Falcon 4 in software using the worst possible quality settings for speed and LLVM to fake the shader calls allowing BMS to be run on a computer with no 3D video card, or even no video card at all in the case of a headless server you remote in to. Some CPU cycles are lost to renderering the 3D world in software but not many (looks like really not many) but it means you can run a Falcon 4 server on pretty much anything with a CPU some RAM and windows installed, such as an Microsoft Azure instance or an Amazon EC2 server.

Given that its a WINE fork it and its just emulating D3D9 calls in software its probable that you could compile this on Linux or OSX systems and run a Falcon server on those as well. Given how prolific inexpensive Linux virtual server are these days...

I was wondering why OpenTrack hasn't had any updates in a while.

Edit: The 84 megabyte OpenGl32.dll is amusing. Not unusual given its got LLVM statically linked to it because windows doesn't ship with LLVM's shared libs installed like OSX and many Linux distro do but drat...

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 26, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mostly like flying Russian planes, so I made my Warthog into a Warthogski.

Custom labels, red backlighting and everything. Did you know that the Warthog has 27 separate LEDs spread across seven circuit boards? I do now!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is that permanent?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

That's awesome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The switch from green to red LEDs might as well be permanent, because I'm not going through that process again. There are steps where you have to de-solder wires just to gain access to a board underneath. I like these soft red lights way better than the original blinding green ones anyway.

The turquoise :ussr: color is adhesive vinyl, like what you'd use to wrap a car. Not permanent but not going to come off accidentally either.

The faceplates are laser-cut white acrylic, painted flat black, labels laser-etched through the paint, and turquoise vinyl on top again. Swap back to the originals with five screws.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's cool. Any chance for a low light pic with LED's?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sagebrush posted:

I mostly like flying Russian planes, so I made my Warthog into a Warthogski.

Custom labels, red backlighting and everything. Did you know that the Warthog has 27 separate LEDs spread across seven circuit boards? I do now!

Why do Russians coat their cockpits in that color?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I thought the theory is that those shades of colour are to reduce eye strain and mental fatigue.

e: it's prob wrong but thats what I remember reading.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 26, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^ No, I think that's the most accepted explanation. I don't think the Russian aviation industry has ever made a proclamation about it, but they've been doing it forever.

Night shot: this is the best I can get, at least right now. I dunno why the color of the LEDs isn't coming across right...it's a deep ruby-red, not this orangeish color. Maybe my camera just isn't picking up the specific LED frequency correctly.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
It's probably the camera's auto-white balancer.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think the Russian aviation industry has ever made a proclamation about it, but they've been doing it forever.
Maybe it's like B-52 engines. They just bought so much of it they're still working through old stock. :v:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Disappointed that the text is not in cyrillic.

Dramak
May 15, 2013
My new shiny TH Warthog turned up yesteday. On the one hand it's such a clear improvement over my x55 but on the other having to redo everything is a pain. BMS is going to be a nightmare :spergin:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I don't know why or how but when I got mine and downloaded the Keyfile Editor to hopefully make setup a bit less rear end it somehow came with all of the stick buttons already bound to their correct functions. Without any profile or anything. I dunno if that's standard.

You should probably use it in any case.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

Sauer posted:

So uh... :stare:

Stanislaw (the guy who made OpenTrack), has written a WINE fork that implements a software D3D9 renderer for Falcon 4 BMS. It essentially renders Falcon 4 in software using the worst possible quality settings for speed and LLVM to fake the shader calls allowing BMS to be run on a computer with no 3D video card, or even no video card at all in the case of a headless server you remote in to. Some CPU cycles are lost to renderering the 3D world in software but not many (looks like really not many) but it means you can run a Falcon 4 server on pretty much anything with a CPU some RAM and windows installed, such as an Microsoft Azure instance or an Amazon EC2 server.

Given that its a WINE fork it and its just emulating D3D9 calls in software its probable that you could compile this on Linux or OSX systems and run a Falcon server on those as well. Given how prolific inexpensive Linux virtual server are these days...

I was wondering why OpenTrack hasn't had any updates in a while.

Edit: The 84 megabyte OpenGl32.dll is amusing. Not unusual given its got LLVM statically linked to it because windows doesn't ship with LLVM's shared libs installed like OSX and many Linux distro do but drat...

Im trying this on my server immediately. Running multiplayer on my home pc is awful.

*edit: it works and gets great fps on my dedicated windows box! This makes things so much easier. If anyone wants a dedicated server to get things going let me know.

TheMirage fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 26, 2015

Dramak
May 15, 2013

Elukka posted:

I don't know why or how but when I got mine and downloaded the Keyfile Editor to hopefully make setup a bit less rear end it somehow came with all of the stick buttons already bound to their correct functions. Without any profile or anything. I dunno if that's standard.

You should probably use it in any case.

Yeah I already use it, it's still quite painful. Hopefully I can just edit my current file.

Anyone know if you can set the off to idle button on the throttle to start the FC3 plane? I'm using the Engine Oper switches but it'd be nice to stay consistent.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Disappointed that the text is not in cyrillic.

:rolleyes:

I thought about it, but I can't read Russian. I'd rather have it be readable than slightly more "accurate" (which it would never be anyway)

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
When have you had to look down and read the label while flying? Man up and make that Cyrillic. It will make you more attractive to the opposite sex.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sauer posted:

When have you had to look down and read the label while flying? Man up and make that Cyrillic. It will make you more attractive to the opposite sex.

If any of you ever find a female that finds your Warthog and simpit EVEN A LITTLE BIT attractive, regardless of its authenticity of lack thereof, consider it your duty to PM me her sister's phone number.

simble
May 11, 2004

Is there a trick to getting DX shifting working with the falcon keyfile editor? I bound SimPinkyShift or whatever to my pinky button (warthog). Then I bound some functions to shifted buttons by hitting the pinky button and what I wanted it bound to. This seems to work great in the editor.

When I get into falcon the shift button doesn't act momentary. After I press it the unshifted binds are unreachable and its like I have the button permanently held down.

I have both of the settings for shifting (magnitude) and the pinky switch (phone posting so don't remember the setting) set in falcon.cfg

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If I recall correctly you need to bind SimPinkyShift to the button's unpressed state as well or some such. Its been a long time since I've done it. Or maybe you need to bind SimPinkyShift to the shifted state of the pinky button as well. So whatever your pinky button # is plus 255 (or whatever your shift magnitude) is should also be bound to SimPinkyShift.

simble
May 11, 2004

Should they be bound to activated when pressed and deactivated when released? Or should it be bound to default behavior for both? I think I tried both of these ways without any luck. I'll verify again when I get home.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
It may be that second one that I suggested. It should be bound so that SimPinkySwitch is present in both the regular and shifted states. Or not, like I said its been a long time. Sorry mang.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, you have to bind it to both the regular button and the button's shifted state (the number + 256). So if the button is 16 you bind SimPinkyShift to both 16 and 272.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Dramak posted:

My new shiny TH Warthog turned up yesteday. On the one hand it's such a clear improvement over my x55 but on the other having to redo everything is a pain. BMS is going to be a nightmare :spergin:

Mud's or morhpine's profile that is updated for 4.33 works nice

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What are you guys using for stands for your warthogs/hotas setups?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

slidebite posted:

What are you guys using for stands for your warthogs/hotas setups?

A desk.

:(

Dramak
May 15, 2013

Wh1plash posted:

Mud's or morhpine's profile that is updated for 4.33 works nice

I'll take a look thanks!

Managed 2 flights last night with a friend. Serpents Tail and I forget the other one's name. Both ended in us getting shot down mostly due to getting cocky after taking out the AAA sites and doing low passes though the first mission ended for me by stalling in to a mountain.

I'm really struggling with the slew control, it seems harder to walk the tgp or mav onto a target with the TH Warthog than it did with the X55. Especially when you've not got much time to get a SPI as you fly past the valley entrance in Serpents Tail.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

From the TFC/ED newsletter:

quote:

Please note that all DCS modules will work seamlessly in DCS World 2.0. However, when we move to DCS World 2.0, some module prices may increase. So, take advantage of these savings now.

:commissar:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

quote:

Please note that all DCS modules will work seamlessly in DCS World 2.0. However, when we move to DCS World 2.0, some module prices may increase. So, take advantage of these savings now.

Eagle Dynamics: Please reward us for our staggering incompetence at project management. Right after we were just upstaged by a bunch of amateurs and their free mod. Also, DCS 2.0 will be delayed for another 6 months.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
loving lol

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It feels so "forward" using a desk though. I cobbled together this kind of thing and its "OK" but wondering what else is out there.

http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims/floor_unit.html

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I used to get stuck on the Falcon-4-install-dance. Now that's a breeze with BMS, so I get stuck configuring my controllers.

Is there an idiot-proof guide to how to do this?
I have a Warthog + rudder pedals. If I can get that working then I might even venture to plug in my Cougar MFDs, but baby-steps.

I've tried to use thgis stuff:
https://sites.google.com/a/hodderweb.com/warthog/falcon-bms/home
But using that TARGET and key file, it thinks I'm pressing MFD buttons when I'm pulling the trigger. Presumably because I've not plugged my devices in in the right order or something.

I really want to get through this as it's been years since I've bothered with Falcon. There's always some fiddly crap that puts me off.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

From the TFC/ED newsletter:

:commissar:

Part of me wants to get the modules I know I'll fly before this happens but another part wants to goatse their forum until they permaban me and revoke all my keys.

Jiblet posted:

I used to get stuck on

I've tried to use thgis stuff:
https://sites.google.com/a/hodderweb.com/warthog/falcon-bms/home
But using that TARGET and key file, it thinks I'm pressing MFD buttons when I'm pulling the trigger. Presumably because I've not plugged my devices in in the right order or something.

I've had this happen once or twice. Quit Falcon, stop Target, restart it, run the profile, fire up BMS and load the keyfile. Then double check by mashing a few buttons on your stick and throttle before leaving that screen.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

EvilJoven posted:

I've had this happen once or twice. Quit Falcon, stop Target, restart it, run the profile, fire up BMS and load the keyfile. Then double check by mashing a few buttons on your stick and throttle before leaving that screen.

Thanks, but so far it's consistently 32 buttons off. So every time I do what you've suggested, it's still wrong.
I think it's detecting my pedals as device 0 so assigning all the fun important stick functions to the 32 buttons don't have on there.

I guess I need to go edit the keyfile and add 32 to everything. Which is why I always go back to DCS :(